PDA

View Full Version : Kareem Abdul-Jabbar sues Upper Deck

Basketball Fan
08-30-2010, 07:19 PM
http://www.tmz.com/2010/08/30/kareem-abdul-jabbar-trading-cards-basketball-ucla-upper-deck-lawsuit/#comments-anchor

Abdul-Jabbar Slams Basketball Card Company

8/30/2010 12:00 PM PDT by TMZ Staff

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is outraged that a trading card company has traded on his image after he specifically shut them down ... and now Kareem is gunning for more than a million.

08030_Kareem_abdul_Jabar_getty_ex
In a lawsuit filed today in L.A. County Superior Court and obtained by TMZ ... Kareem claims The Upper Deck Company plastered 6 Kareem pics from his days as a UCLA Bruin on its "Greats of the Game" series.

Kareem ... who is the NBA's all-time leading scorer with 38,387 points ... claims Upper Deck had the audacity to market the cards after he turned them down flat.

The lawsuit, filed by legal pit bull Marty Singer, notes that when Kareem left the NBA, he blocked more shots, won more Most Valuable Player awards, played in more All-Star Games and logged more seasons than any other player. Shockingly, Singer makes no mention of Kareem's epic performance in the greatest movie of all time -- "Airplane!"

The lawsuit seeks more than $1 million in damages.

Kstat
08-30-2010, 07:20 PM
Who hasn't Kareem sued yet?

This is a guy who once sued someone for taking the same name as him.

ChristianDudley
08-30-2010, 07:26 PM
Funny funny funny. I do and have done a bunch of basketball card/memorabilia stuff as a hobby and it is just another fiasco added to the list for the company Upper Deck. They already have had a bunch of players suing them over autographs and autograph rights and payment for their autographs and such, and after Panini has taken over most of the trading card making in the past year, it all has left Upper Deck stranded in the middle of nowhere. Anytime now Upper Deck should be put out of business because of all the $$$$ they owe, and they can't make any money because their losing all their licensings.

joeyd
09-01-2010, 01:53 PM
All of the lawsuits could put Upper Deck out of business, but I hope this is not the case. I'm not sold on Panini, so if this happens, then Topps will likely be pretty much the only major player left standing with potentially licenses for all of the major sports in the future. They will, as usual, turn a deaf ear toward what the consumer wants.

graphic-er
09-01-2010, 02:44 PM
One of my favorite Cards from when I was kid and collected these things was my Tree Rollins rookie card.

MLB007
09-01-2010, 02:58 PM
Who hasn't Kareem sued yet?

This is a guy who once sued someone for taking the same name as him.

The guy (a football player) used the same number and was (supposedly) making money using the NBA's Kareem name and celebrity.
Welcome to life as a celebrity.

Kstat
09-01-2010, 03:00 PM
He didn't even spell "Karim" the same way. Kareem was a total ******* for wanting payment for it.

In 1998, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar filed a lawsuit against Karim, stating that there were too many similarities between the two. In the lawsuit, Kareem listed that they both attended UCLA and both wore the #33. He felt that Karim was making profits and sponging off the name and number he made famous in the 1970s. He won a court order that required Karim to drop the "Abdul-Jabbar" name off his jersey. In addition, all Dolphins jerseys with the "Abdul-Jabbar" name and #33 were immediately pulled from the shelves and merchandising catalogs. Karim complied and had his name changed to simply 'Abdul'.

Banta
09-01-2010, 08:25 PM
The guy (a football player) used the same number and was (supposedly) making money using the NBA's Kareem name and celebrity.
Welcome to life as a celebrity.

I remember the guy and he was a pretty good player. I don't recall ever hearing anything about Alcindor suing him, though.

ETA: led the NFL in rushing TDs in 1997 with 15

MLB007
09-01-2010, 09:14 PM
He didn't even spell "Karim" the same way. Kareem was a total ******* for wanting payment for it.

Kareem WON the suit, so obviously there WAS deception intended. Not sure how you view that as him being an Ahoe....... :p

MLB007
09-01-2010, 09:15 PM

well, that does sound like Kareem being an ahoe...... :hmm:

Basketball Fan
10-05-2010, 12:12 PM
http://www.tmz.com/2010/10/04/kareem-abdul-jabbar-los-angeles-lakers-baskerball-upper-deck-trading-card-company/#comments-anchor

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar -- Too Famous to Sue in L.A.?

10/4/2010 5:15 PM PDT by TMZ Staff

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is one of the most beloved Lakers of all time -- and that's exactly why the Upper Deck trading card company believes they can't get a fair shot against him in a Los Angeles court.

Kareem Abdul Jabbar lawsuit.

It's all over a lawsuit Kareem filed last month -- in which he accused Upper Deck of using his image on a trading card without his permission.

Now, Upper Deck wants the case moved to San Diego .... arguing in new documents that because Kareem spent so many years playing for the Lake Show ... his "iconic status in Los Angeles will irrefutably prejudice [Upper Deck] and deny them a fair and unbiased trial."

So we gotta ask ...

mb221
10-05-2010, 12:45 PM
Funny funny funny. I do and have done a bunch of basketball card/memorabilia stuff as a hobby and it is just another fiasco added to the list for the company Upper Deck. They already have had a bunch of players suing them over autographs and autograph rights and payment for their autographs and such, and after Panini has taken over most of the trading card making in the past year, it all has left Upper Deck stranded in the middle of nowhere. Anytime now Upper Deck should be put out of business because of all the $$$$ they owe, and they can't make any money because their losing all their licensings.

Very sad to read this. When I was younger and huge into basketball cards, Upper Deck was always my favorite brand to collect. I always considered them the upper crust of collectibles and to hear they are facing such tough times really kinda sucks. Are any of the other companies still around such as Fleer, Skybox, etc?