PDA

View Full Version : Woj - Rush suspended five games without pay for violating NBA's drug policy.

Pages : [1] 2

Placebo
08-27-2010, 01:08 PM
WojYahooNBA:

Indiana's Brandon Rush has been suspended five games without pay for violating NBA's drug policy.

source: Twitter http://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA

SMosley21
08-27-2010, 01:10 PM
http://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/22282882814

Indiana's Brandon Rush has been suspended five games without pay for violating NBA's drug policy.

Honestly I'm not very surprised at all. Heard rumblings in the past about Brandon partaking in the greenery, and apparently they were true.

Hicks
08-27-2010, 01:11 PM
:picardriker:

Hicks
08-27-2010, 01:12 PM
This means it wasn't his first offense, right? I remember that from when it was David Harrison. Word was you didn't see a suspension like this until the 3rd strike, if I recall correctly.

:unimpress

odeez
08-27-2010, 01:13 PM
OMG !

Tom White
08-27-2010, 01:15 PM
This means it wasn't his first offense, right? I remember that from when it was David Harrison. Word was you didn't see a suspension like this until the 3rd strike, if I recall correctly.

:unimpress

Seems to me you are right about that.

Bball
08-27-2010, 01:15 PM
Amazing the intricacies of the NBA rules and penalties that we Pacer fans know by heart now....

odeez
08-27-2010, 01:17 PM
It's just more shame for the franchise. I have nothing against folks smoking, and IMO it shouldn't be such a big deal. But when your job has a strict policy, you have to try to stay clean.

rock747
08-27-2010, 01:17 PM
Wow, it never ends.

Hicks
08-27-2010, 01:18 PM
Well, we might as well start wondering: Will Larry tolerate this and keep him on the team?

Peck
08-27-2010, 01:19 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong here but I thought weed was not something the NBA tested for? If that is the case then this is something stronger.

Hicks
08-27-2010, 01:19 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong here but I thought weed was not something the NBA tested for? If that is the case then this is something stronger.

Absolutely they do. That's what got David Harrison. And Brad Miller, for that matter. I think that's just your (well, David's) wishful thinking. :-p

Hicks
08-27-2010, 01:20 PM
Once Roy and Tyler do something stupid, I will officially give up on trying to draft "high character" players.

Unclebuck
08-27-2010, 01:23 PM
They do test for this. And I think this means it is the third offense.

I would like the pacers to add 15 games onto the 5 games imposed by the NBA.

SMosley21
08-27-2010, 01:23 PM
http://twitter.com/Wells222/status/22283862515

It was the third time that Rush failed a drug test. David Harrison was suspended 5 games in 2008 after he failed the test.

Unclebuck
08-27-2010, 01:27 PM
The biggest thing this shows is that either he doesn't care (afterall this was the third time he failed a test) or he has a problem.

Maybe this is why the pacers have tried to trade him a few times???

Stupid idiot - that is what I think he is.

Plus he isn't good enough that we have to put up with this stuff

Kid Minneapolis
08-27-2010, 01:32 PM
Well this would explain his rather lackadaisical attitude towards things.

odeez
08-27-2010, 01:32 PM
It sucks, I really hope this curve towards the negative will stop. Does it come in threes? We had the awesome news about the Collison/Posey deal, and now we get two straight negative hits. DG in Turkey helps, but honestly this is just ridicules to keep having our basketball hearts twisted by the negative and the bad public perception that follows. The franchise needs stability and a strict policy and focus towards winning. The only thing that will out shine all this negative, is if we start winning again.

Speed
08-27-2010, 01:34 PM
I wonder Bird's about had enough of this whole GM deal, gotta be getting to him.

odeez
08-27-2010, 01:39 PM
I wonder Bird's about had enough of this whole GM deal, gotta be getting to him.

No doubt!

He gets the Collison trade done, he's shinning again. Then the Lance thing happens and now Rush is puffing too much. He has to be having some sleepless nights. This ultimately isn't that big of a deal, but I do think it is a another bad blow to the franchise. :(

MLB007
08-27-2010, 01:44 PM
:picardriker:

+1 :(

90'sNBARocked
08-27-2010, 01:44 PM
Well this explains the "lack of aggressiveness"

I dont know though, remeber wells raving about his summer workouts?

I never thought Rush really had a strong desire to play in the NBA, to me it was more of a well paying job

Is this the end for Rush as a Pacer?

90'sNBARocked
08-27-2010, 01:46 PM
The biggest thing this shows is that either he doesn't care (afterall this was the third time he failed a test) or he has a problem.

I dont know if its true or not but I remeber Rasheed Wallace saying something like 70% of NBA playres puff on the wacky weed

BornReady
08-27-2010, 01:47 PM

I never thought Rush really had a strong desire to play in the NBA, to me it was more of a well paying job

highly doubt it. Rush will still be a pacer. this is fairly minor in comparison to things like Lance.

Swish
No doubt!

He gets the Collison trade done, he's shinning again. Then the Lance thing happens and now Rush is puffing too much. He has to be having some sleepless nights. This ultimately isn't that big of a deal, but I do think it is a another bad blow to the franchise. :(

It's a very big deal. When you have the history the Pacers have, every little thing gets magnified by a thousand. One guy suspended for smoking pot may not be a big deal to the Lakers, but a PACER getting suspended for any reason is a big deal.

focused444
I love my medicinal marijuana, but if my job needed me to stop. Hello! I would...This is just careless disregard for the rules.

*side note*

Did anyone else think Sam Perkins used to look high as heck when he played on the team that went to the finals. His eyes looked glazed. Ehhh well whatever...

CooperManning
08-27-2010, 01:49 PM
Are they tested at random? I can't imagine someone knowing they had a test coming up that they've already failed twice and still partaking. Then again, you won't find me shooting anyone in a nightclub parking lot or slamming my girlfriend's head into the stairs either (obviously more worrisome actions than smoking pot, but getting caught three times shows a similar disregard for consequence).

SMosley21
08-27-2010, 01:50 PM

I've felt the same way recently. I was one of Rush's biggest supporters his first 2 seasons, then I started seeing some of his posts on twitter and it really started shining some light onto his personality. Nearly the entire summer, while we've been hearing how other guys on the team have been busting their tails to get better, you can read Rush's twitter page and it seems like he's been more worried about partying in Vegas and elsewhere. It's pretty easy to see that he thinks of the NBA as simply a job, and not his life.

CooperManning
08-27-2010, 01:53 PM
I dont know if its true or not but I remeber Rasheed Wallace saying something like 70% of NBA playres puff on the wacky weed

I tend to think that's true...how do they pass the tests though? Borrow Scalabrine's urine?

Unclebuck
08-27-2010, 01:53 PM
Are they tested at random? I can't imagine someone knowing they had a test coming up that they've already failed twice and still partaking. Then again, you won't find me shooting anyone in a nightclub parking lot or slamming my girlfriend's head into the stairs either (obviously more worrisome actions than smoking pot, but getting caught three times shows a similar disregard for consequence).

I am not 100% sure. But I think the first test is not random - the players know it is coming - I think it occurs in training camp (maybe different for rookies) but if a player tests positive, thereafter I think it is somewhat random

Don't quote me on this

Not sure if Sheed was quoted on this, but the famous quote was from Charles Oakley - he said 80%

Speed
08-27-2010, 01:55 PM
As for following twitter pages, I would suggest not following any of the players, they don't shine in a great light mostly. I recently started to look at some of them to see if they were working out, what kinds of things they were doing etc, not good or not what I had hoped, I guess.

SMosley21
08-27-2010, 01:58 PM
As for following twitter pages, I would suggest not following any of the players, they don't shine in a great light mostly. I recently started to look at some of them to see if they were working out, what kinds of things they were doing etc, not good or not what I had hoped, I guess.

Exact opposite when it comes to Paul George and Magnum Rolle. Those guys seem to always be working out or hanging together NOT doing questionable things.

JB24
08-27-2010, 02:01 PM
Was this test recent? Had no clue guys were tested during the off-season...

bphil
08-27-2010, 02:01 PM
Exact opposite when it comes to Paul George and Magnum Rolle. Those guys seem to always be working out or hanging together NOT doing questionable things.

They haven't been tainted by life on the road in the NBA yet. It'll be interesting to see what their tweets are like at this time next year... :)

Kaufman
08-27-2010, 02:02 PM
you guys are mostly all assuming this is just marijuana, as well. is that a fair assumption?

Psyren
08-27-2010, 02:04 PM
God I hope this is the last straw. I've hated Rush from the start, and this just puts the icing on the cake.

I love his on ball defense. There's no doubt that he's good at that. But offensively just makes me want to throw up with the lack of aggression.

We don't need this :censored: anymore. Get rid of him, if you can find a taker.

Again, just my opinion, but we simply can't avoid the curse, can we?

31andonly
Well..bad news, definitely. On the other side, it was only some weed he was smoking (which imo is very common among NBA players)...and it's still offseason.

He was not driving around stoned or drunk or punching girlfriends, relatives etc.

I don't think it's such a big story, you hear and read it all the time that someone gets suspended for a couple of games because of that.

Of course, as a member of the Indiana Pacers, he should be a bit careful, though...I'm just trying not to lose my positive attitude towards the upcoming season.

MLB007

It's the offseason.
I think they should be able to do what they want when they are not working.
Testing should be regular and unannounced and randam from the time they come to training camp to the crowing of the champion.
I don't have any problem with grown men that choose to puff a little reefer when they are off work.

CooperManning
you guys are mostly all assuming this is just marijuana, as well. is that a fair assumption?

Pretty fair. We're giving him the benefit of the doubt, I think. I'd prefer him testing positive for pot than 'roids or harder drugs.

MLB007
08-27-2010, 02:05 PM

Oh come on.
Now the morality stops if they are good enough. ? :-o :rolleyes:

Unclebuck
08-27-2010, 02:06 PM
Was this test recent? Had no clue guys were tested during the off-season...

After a player tests postive twice, they should expect to be tested whenever

Speed
08-27-2010, 02:07 PM

I mean I guess it's okay, but Paul George hosted some party at a night club that seemed odd to me. I think it was a week or two after summer league maybe. At least the Poster for it that he tweeted looks questionable to me.

I thought to myself, what if something goes down at this party, the headlines would be Pacers Paul George hosted party that <INSERT happened that thing bad>

Rolle talks about the 3 Ps quite a bit, so thats cool.

Not sure which players (not Rolle), cuz I don't have access to twitter stuff right now, but many "follow" strippers via twitter. Which is fine, I really don't care what others do, I'm not sitting in judgement, but really if it was my kid or my paid employee, I'd rather they not do that.

It's almost like the Pacers organization or the NBA should offer a PR team to help these guys navigate today's social networking, so they can manage this stuff.

It's beside the point of this; BRush messed up, 3 times.

I only mentioned twitter because someone else did. And I never said all players or which players, that I thought were disappointing.

Look if I'm paying someone millions of dollars, I expect them to portray a positive image. In fact, people who make alot less are expected to do that same.

Unclebuck
08-27-2010, 02:09 PM
It's the offseason.
I think they should be able to do what they want when they are not working.
Testing should be regular and unannounced and randam from the time they come to training camp to the crowing of the champion.
I don't have any problem with grown men that choose to puff a little reefer when they are off work.

They can do whatever they want when they are not working. OK, how far to you take that

I don't have any problem with grown men that choose to puff a little reefer when they are off work I have a big problem with it, but probably shouldn't get into it because that will get the thread into areas we don't discuss in this forum

Speed
08-27-2010, 02:10 PM
.... this is going to devolve into another morality play, isn't it?

Justin Tyme
08-27-2010, 02:10 PM

I've been under the impression Bird wasn't that enthralled with Rush for awhile now, and you might have nailed it as to the reason why, besides his inconsistancy as a player.

As this thread grows, the Rush apologists will start with the smoking weed is no big deal, most in the NBA do it. It can be overlooked as he plays good "D tripe. As far as I'm concerned, Rush just punched his ticket to a new home. What did he think after not passing 2 previous drug tests, he was going to pass the 3rd one? 3rd time charm? HOW STUPID!!!!!!

Unclebuck
08-27-2010, 02:11 PM
Oh come on.
Now the morality stops if they are good enough. ? :-o :rolleyes:

it might not be right, but it is true, you put up with more from your star players than you do from a player like Rush.

Speed
08-27-2010, 02:13 PM
The thing is whatever your feelings are on pot or on BRush.

It was clearly something that was in the rules to not do.

He understood the rules.

He clearly got caught THREE times.

I mean what else is there to say?

I hate BRush, I love BRush, I love pot, I hate pot. None of those have any impacts on the above 3 items.

MLB007
They can do whatever they want when they are not working. OK, how far to you take that

I don't have any problem with grown men that choose to puff a little reefer when they are off work I have a big problem with it, but probably shouldn't get into it because that will get the thread into areas we don't discuss in this forum

As far as weed, and that's it. Grouping all drugs together is pointless and stupid. Pot is equivalent to drinking IMO. Harmful if done to excess, but pretty dang normal for most folks to have a few drinks now and then. I would say there are much less significant side effects or health consequences to pot than there is drinking.

It was obvious you have a problem with it. I don't and that was the point of my response. :)
How do you feel about sipping a couple of martini's???
Different strokes for different folks. :)

Bball
Dr Andy has a good point... Who said it was pot? Are there other things that would have this same punishment? And can it be 3 different things he tested positive for (1 of each at each test)?

Unclebuck
08-27-2010, 02:14 PM
What did he think after not passing 2 previous drug tests, he was going to pass the 3rd one? 3rd time charm? HOW STUPID!!!!!!

You have hit on the most important point. It really doesn't matter what the offense is. If the NBA prohibited its players from eating chocolate and a player was eating chocolate and had tested positive twice - he should not be so stupid to keep eating chocolate. Whether anyone thinks eating chocolate is wrong or not

Speed
08-27-2010, 02:15 PM
As far as weed, and that's it. Grouping all drugs together is pointless and stupid. Pot is equivalent to drinking IMO. Harmful if done to excess, but pretty dang normal for most folks to have a few drinks now and then. I would say there are much less significant side effects or health consequences to pot than there is drinking.

It was obvious you have a problem with it. I don't and that was the point of my response. :)

It's exactly the same thing....except for one is ILLEGAL.

daschysta
08-27-2010, 02:16 PM
How you manage to fail a drug test 3 times is beyond me... Not that I give a damn if he smokes marijuana or not, not everyone is Roy Hibbert and dedicates what seems to be their entire life to improving their game, but seriously if you have failed the test twice already, you think he would be able to cut it out if it means losing nba salary for 5 games.

But maybe this gives us a chance to give paul george minutes early. I really hope he give a good impression and can solidify his spot in the rotation!

Though Dun and Jones will probably eat those minutes.

Unclebuck
I believe different drugs carry different penalties. if a player tested positive 3 times for cocaine, they would be out of the league. So the more severe the drug the more severe the penalty

DaveP63
Jesus H. Christ on a popsickle stick. When does it stop???

Speed
08-27-2010, 02:17 PM
Dr Andy has a good point... Who said it was pot? Are there other things that would have this same punishment? And can it be 3 different things he tested positive for (1 of each at each test)?

Funny really, at first I swear I thought, what Rush is on 'Roids. :)

Ya, makes no sense, but your point is valid.

Speed
08-27-2010, 02:19 PM
not everyone is Roy Hibbert and dedicates what seems to be their entire life to improving their game

Ah Roy, not so slowly becoming one of my all time favorite Pacers!

MLB007
08-27-2010, 02:19 PM
The thing is whatever your feelings are on pot or on BRush.

It was clearly something that was in the rules to not do.

He understood the rules.

He clearly got caught THREE times.

I mean what else is there to say?

I hate BRush, I love BRush, I love pot, I hate pot. None of those have any impacts on the above 3 items.

Well you can ignore the obvious reason/excuse (per your point of view) that these guys have been coddled and allowed to slide on the letter of the law (or the class, or the school) their whole lives.
That's BS (that it happens), but it IS the way it is.
Think maybe that would trickle down to not feeling there will be consequences to ANYTHING that pertains to them personally?
How many of these guys have gone home when they SHOULD have gone to jail, or not gotten a ticket or thrown out of school, etc etc because they were a superstar athlete???? Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

I just read last night the unbelievable statistic that 80% of NFL players are broke and/or divorce within 2 years after their career ends.
These guys are coddled babies and real life is a hassle for them.
In a sideways way, this is very similar to the thought processes that led Lebron to think his show was a good idea.

Unclebuck
08-27-2010, 02:20 PM
we don't know it was weed. but we do know it wasn't cocaine, heroin and I would imgaine meth as those carry greater penalties.

I suppose it could be some type of steroid - I seriously doubt it though

Kegboy
08-27-2010, 02:23 PM
Look at the bright side. At least he was smart enough not to get caught with Chalmers and Arthur at rookie camp.

:halffull:

Unclebuck
08-27-2010, 02:24 PM
Look at the bright side. At least he was smart enough not to get caught with Chalmers and Arthur at rookie camp.

:halffull:

I remember that quit well, and how we were all soooooo glad Rush wasn't involved.

Bball
08-27-2010, 02:25 PM
I believe different drugs carry different penalties. if a player tested positive 3 times for cocaine, they would be out of the league. So the more severe the drug the more severe the penalty

What about performance enhancing drugs?

I guess I had a couple thoughts or points with my earlier pondering. We're assuming he was stupid enough to keep smoking pot after being busted 2 prior times (and assuming it is pot in the first place) and knowing the consequences of a 3rd failed test. But could he have have quit pot after the 2nd failed test and then tested positive for something else on this 3rd test and still triggered the automatic suspension?

And what things have this 3 strike rule? I agree that surely cocaine is handled differently than pot.

...And does it have to be 3 consecutive failures? Could Rush have passed say tests 3 and 4 (after failing 1 and 2) and then (perhaps over-confidently) pushed the envelope and failed test 5 giving him 3 failures in 5 tests to trigger the suspension?

Unclebuck
08-27-2010, 02:26 PM
Here is a link to the NBA's drug testing policy - I have not read through this yet.

OK< I have now skimmed it and it answers a lot of our questions.

http://news.findlaw.com/legalnews/sports/drugs/policy/basketball/index.html

THE NBA AND NBPA ANTI-DRUG PROGRAM
The following is a summary of the key elements of the National Basketball Association (NBA) and National Basketball Players Association (NBPA) Anti-Drug Program contained in the 1999 NBA/NBPA Collective Bargaining Agreement.

1. Prohibited Substances
The following substances are prohibited under the program: amphetamine and its analogs, cocaine, LSD, opiates (heroin, codeine and morphine), PCP, marijuana, and steroids.

A Prohibited Substances Committee comprised of one representative from both the NBA and NBPA, and three substance abuse experts jointly selected by the NBA and NBPA will issue a list of prohibited steroids. In addition, upon application by the NBA or NBPA, the Prohibited Substances Committee may determine to add substances to the list of prohibited substances if such substances are illegal, or are physically harmful and improperly performance-enhancing. NBA players will receive six months notice before any new substance is officially added to this list pursuant to the application process.

2. The Administration of the Program
The NBA and NBPA have jointly selected a Medical Director to manage and oversee the program, select and supervise program counselors and other program personnel, and evaluate and treat the NBA players in the program. An Independent Expert jointly selected by the NBA and NBPA will issue authorizations for Reasonable Cause Testing (see 4B, below) under the program.

The NBA, NBA teams, and the NBPA are prohibited from publicly disclosing information regarding the testing or treatment of any NBA player in the program, except as required by the suspension or dismissal of a player in the program. Once information about the testing and treatment of a player has been publicly disclosed by the player, his representative, or sources outside the NBA and the NBPA, it will no longer be considered confidential information under the program.

3. Coming Forward Voluntarily
A player may come forward voluntarily regarding his use of a prohibited substance and seek treatment in the program. There is no penalty the first time a player comes forward voluntarily, but subsequent times will result in a penalty.

A player may not come forward voluntarily when he is subject to an authorization for Reasonable Cause Testing or when he is subject to in-patient or aftercare treatment in the program.

4. Testing
A. The Mechanics of Testing
All drug tests will be analyzed by certified laboratories selected by the Medical Director, and approved by the NBA and NBPA.

A player will test "positive" for a prohibited substance at the concentration levels set forth in the 1999 Collective Bargaining Agreement, or if the player fails or refuses to submit to a drug test, or if the player attempts to mask, substitute, dilute or adulterate his urine sample. A player notified of a positive result has two business days to request a re-test from the NBA and NBPA. The re-test will be performed at a laboratory different from the laboratory used for the first test.

B. Reasonable Cause Testing for All Players
If the NBA or NBPA receives information that provides reasonable cause of a player's use, possession or distribution of a prohibited substance, the NBA or NBPA will request a hearing with the other party and the Independent Expert within 24 hours of the receipt of that information. At that hearing, the Independent Expert will decide whether reasonable cause exists, and if it does exist, will issue an authorization for testing. After an authorization for testing is issued, the NBA will arrange for testing of the player four times during the next six weeks.

If the NBA or NBPA believe that there is sufficient evidence of a player's use, possession or distribution of a prohibited substance, the matter may be taken directly to the league's Grievance Arbitrator. If the Grievance Arbitrator determines that the player has used or possessed amphetamine and its analogs, cocaine, LSD, opiates or PCP, or has distributed any prohibited substance, he will be dismissed and disqualified from the NBA.

C. Testing of First-Year Players
A first-year player (a player who has not played an NBA regular season game before the current season) can be tested once during training camp, or, if a player reports during the regular season or with fewer than 15 days remaining in training camp, once during the first 15 days after he reports to his team. A first-year player can also be tested three times during the regular season, or, if he signs with a team after March 1, three times during the rest of that season and the next season. All such tests are at the discretion of the NBA and without prior notice to the player.

D. Testing of Veteran Players
Veteran players can be tested once during training camp, or, if a player reports during the season or with less than 15 days remaining in training camp, once during the first 15 days after he reports to his team. All such tests are at the discretion of the NBA and without prior notice to the player.

5. Discipline
A. Amphetamine, Cocaine, LSD, Opiates, PCP
If a player tests positive for amphetamine and its analogs, cocaine, LSD, opiates, or PCP during Reasonable Cause Testing, First-Year Testing, or Veteran Testing, he will be dismissed and disqualified from the NBA. A player will also be dismissed and disqualified from the NBA if he is convicted of, or pleads guilty, no contest or nolo contendre to, a crime involving the use or possession of amphetamine and its analogs, cocaine, LSD, opiates, or PCP.

B. Steroids
If a player tests positive for steroids for the first time during Reasonable Cause Testing, First-Year Testing, or Veteran Testing, the player will be suspended for five games and will be required to enter the program. A second positive test for steroids will result in a ten-game suspension and the player's re-entry into the program. A third (or any subsequent) positive test for steroids will result in a twenty-five game suspension and the player's re-entry into the program. A player will be dismissed and disqualified from the NBA if he is convicted of, or pleads guilty, no contest or nolo contendre to, a crime involving the use or possession of steroids.

C. Marijuana
If a player tests positive for marijuana for the first time during Reasonable Cause Testing, First-Year Testing, or Veteran Testing, or he is convicted of, or pleads guilty, nolo contendre or no contest to, the use or possession of marijuana in violation of the law, he will be required to enter the program. A second such violation will result in a $15,000 fine and the player's re-entry into the program. A third (or any subsequent) such violation will result in a five-game suspension and the player's re-entry into the program.

D. Non-Compliance With Treatment
A player's failure to comply with his in-patient or aftercare treatment while in the program will result in substantial fines and suspensions, which will be imposed until that player fully complies with the requirements of the program. Failure to comply with the program's requirements for the treatment of problems with amphetamine and its analogs, cocaine, LSD, opiates (heroin, codeine and morphine), and/or PCP can also lead to the termination of a player's contract or his dismissal and disqualification from the NBA.

A player who has previously been in the program for problems with prohibited substances (other than steroids and marijuana) and fails to comply with his in-patient or aftercare treatment will automatically be suspended during his period of in-patient treatment and for at least six months of his aftercare. Any later use, possession or distribution of amphetamine and its analogs, cocaine, LSD, opiates, and/or PCP, (even if voluntarily disclosed) will result in his dismissal and disqualification from the NBA.

6. Treatment
Any player that enters the program must comply with the in-patient and aftercare ordered by the Medical Director, including, but not limited to, random testing for prohibited substances and alcohol. If a player seeks treatment outside the program, he may be required to be tested without notice.

7. Reinstatement
Any veteran player who is dismissed and disqualified from the NBA under the terms of the program will be disqualified for a period of not less than two years. Any first-year player who is dismissed and disqualified from the NBA under the terms of the program will be disqualified for a period of not less than one year. A player will only be reinstated with the approval of both the NBA and the NBPA, and such approval may be conditioned on random testing and other terms.

© 1999 National Basketball Association, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE WNBA ANTI-DRUG PROGRAM

odeez
08-27-2010, 02:27 PM
I am glad we have such positive news to discuss on a Friday! :pullhair:

Speed
08-27-2010, 02:29 PM
Here is a link to the NBA's drug testing policy - I have not read through this yet.

OK< I have now skimmed it and it answers a lot of our questions.

http://news.findlaw.com/legalnews/sports/drugs/policy/basketball/index.html

Did a quick look, so five games for the first steroid offense and five games for the 3rd pot offense. That's all I found, anyone else?

Wells tweeted it was his 3rd failed test, I don't know if Wells knows that or he's just assuming it.

Trophy
08-27-2010, 02:31 PM
He's been arrested in college once for driving drunk and I'm surprised he got in trouble again with the law.

Oh well, there goes another perfect 82 game season for him.

beast23
08-27-2010, 02:33 PM
Well... I can honestly say that I would have no problem at this point in Rush being included in a trade for Jason Thompson.

Unclebuck
08-27-2010, 02:33 PM
I hope everyone read the paragraph on weed.

After the first positive test he has to entre the program (I assume a drug program) then after the second positive fined $15K and re-enter the program. Then the third positive he is suspended without pay and re-entry into the program

OK I have a question, what is the program. Is that like drug re-hab - so he's now doen that 3 times.

I was always told when drugs, alcohol or anything interferes with your day-to-day life then you have a problem

avoidingtheclowns
08-27-2010, 02:34 PM
For informational purposes, here are articles about Birdman's two year ban for testing positive and Shard Lewis testing positive for steroids during spring of 2009.

New Orleans Hornets forward Chris Andersen was dismissed and disqualified from the NBA on Friday for violating the league's drug policy.

The "Birdman" was the first NBA player banned for drug violations since 1999. Andersen must wait two years before he can apply for reinstatement, the league said.

According to the league's collective bargaining agreement, a player can only be disqualified for a fourth positive test for performance-enhancing drugs, or a first positive test for "drugs of abuse."

The drugs on that list are amphetamine and its analogs, which include methamphetamine; cocaine; LSD; opiates, including heroin, codeine and morphine; and PCP.

Andersen has not previously been suspended for steroid use.

(SNIP)

Andersen is the first player kicked out because of drugs since Stanley Roberts in 1999.

Players who test positive for steroids or performance enhancing drugs, masking agents and diurectics get a 10-game suspension (1st offense), a 25-game suspension (2nd offense), a one-year suspension (3rd offense) and disqualification (4th offense).

Marijuana penalties are a $25,000 fine (2nd offense), a five-game suspension (3rd offense), a 10-game suspension (4th offense), and five additional games for each subsequent violation

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2308918

Orlando Magic general manager Otis Smith said Thursday that he was not shocked when a league official notified him this week that Rashard Lewis was being suspended for the first 10 games of next season for violating the NBA's Anti-Drug program.

Lewis tested positive for the testosterone-producing steroid commonly referred to as DHEA (Dehydroepiandrosterone), which was part of a supplement he started taking late in the season. The chemical is banned by most sports leagues, including the NBA, but it is contained in several over-the-counter supplements.

The positive test stemmed from a urine sample provided by Lewis during the playoffs before they reached the NBA Finals.

(SNIP)

NBA players are randomly tested four times each season under the league's Anti-Drug Agreement. The first positive test for steroids or any performance enhancing drug, results in a 10-game suspension. The second positive test is a 25-game suspension and the third positive test would be a one-year suspension.

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2009/08/06/magic-gm-not-shocked-by-lewis-steroid-suspension/

EDIT: looks like UB covered this while I was posting.

90'sNBARocked
08-27-2010, 02:34 PM

Used to not be the case until sometime in the late 90's or earlier 2000's it was changed

Sookie
08-27-2010, 02:37 PM
Did a quick look, so five games for the first steroid offense and five games for the 3rd pot offense. That's all I found, anyone else?

Wells tweeted it was his 3rd failed test, I don't know if Wells knows that or he's just assuming it.

Let's be honest, it was probably pot. That's the drug of choice for the NBA.

I'll be honest, I don't care about pot, I don't care if Rush does pot.

What I do care about, is that he was dumb enough to get caught three times. It's against the rules, and supposedly according to Buck, the first drug test ISN'T random. So..how the heck do you get yourself caught...

And the rules are he's suspended five games. So he should take his five games. If it was during the season, I'd agree with Buck that the Pacers should add additional games, but it wasn't..he just..acted like a knucklehead.

MLB007
08-27-2010, 02:38 PM
It's exactly the same thing....except for one is ILLEGAL.

BS -it a freaking PLANT. Not a produced or manufactured product.

It's Illegal BECAUSE the alcohol industry saw it for the threat it was and spent millions to buy legislation.
A plant that anyone can grow in the back yard.
Might be a threat to liquor consumption? hmmmmmmmmmm

CableKC
08-27-2010, 02:38 PM
I'm thinking HGH :D ( I need MagicRat to photoshop BRush changing into the Hulk a la Harrison )

pacers74
08-27-2010, 02:39 PM
Okay, what does this do to his trade value. Will any other team be willing to take him on now that he has a black mark on him, and that he will be out the first five games.

SMosley21
08-27-2010, 02:41 PM
While Brandon Rush is out partying and smoking weed, Roy Hibbert and Paul George are in the weight room trying to become more effective on the court.

http://i34.tinypic.com/5dqfb5.jpg

Unclebuck
08-27-2010, 02:41 PM
Okay, what does this do to his trade value. Will any other team be willing to take him on now that he has a black mark on him, and that he will be out the first five games.

It certainly doesn't help his trade value. How much it hurts, I don't know. The problem is he isn't that good, so teams are a lot less inclined to risk a problem player if they aren't that good to begin with

Speed
08-27-2010, 02:43 PM

It's Illegal BECAUSE the alcohol industry saw it for the threat it was and spent millions to buy legislation.

No, it really is illegal, I checked, yep still illegal.

I'm not passing judgement on if it should be or not.

indyaway
08-27-2010, 02:43 PM
Let's be honest, it was probably pot. That's the drug of choice for the NBA.

I also could be....

http://www.blackheartgoldpants.com/images/admin/PurpleDrank.jpg

Hands Malone
08-27-2010, 02:48 PM
I also could be....

http://www.blackheartgoldpants.com/images/admin/PurpleDrank.jpg

As a die-hard Oakland Raiders fan, please dont joke about that. It's just too soon....haha

Bball
08-27-2010, 02:51 PM
Can we trade him for Bayless?

CableKC
08-27-2010, 02:53 PM
Despite the negative PR involved here....my guess is that the Pacers will give him a very public PR "slap on the wrist"...miss whatever games he's supposed to miss....give Bird more of a reason to include BRush in trade talks ( not like he hasn't done so before ) and ( in the end ) IMHO BRush will still be on the roster by December.

I'd assume ( or at least hope ) that the FO must have some inkling of how much of a problem this is for BRush......whether it is a "leisurely" type of thing that BRush can control on his own ( with some very close monitoring from the FO ) or a "serious" issue that the FO has been fully aware of that is a much deeper problem. If it's the latter.....then the asking price for BRush is probably been reduced with a strong chance that he'll be moved by February along with Dunleavy or Ford as mild sweetner.

BTW.....I do not condone what he did...but unless it's a "chronic" ( pardon the pun ) problem of his, then I'm willing to give BRush some slack here as he has been a model citizen since his arrival in Indy. Any negative PR is not good for the Pacers.....but I don't consider this anywhere near the offense the Lance has allegedly perpetrated.

pacers74
08-27-2010, 02:54 PM
This is only a joke, but shouldn't we worry about Roy hanging out with Bill Walton all summer. He is one of the most famous deadheads, you know.

Unclebuck
08-27-2010, 03:05 PM
BTW.....I do not condone what he did...but unless it's a "chronic" ( pardon the pun ) problem of his ( which...I will give him the benefit of the doubt here for the aforementioned above reason ), then I'm willing to give BRush some slack here as he has been a model citizen since his arrival in Indy.

Ok, lets see if it is chronic.

He comes into the NBA, he is told of the drug program, he knows approximately when he will be tested. Either he doesn't care or is too stupid to realize he will test positive. But he does test positive and has to go through the NBA's drug treatment program.

OK, so he is now wise, he knows how it works, he knows he is getting paid over $2M dollars, he knows he will be tested again and yet he continues to use the stuff and comes up positive again, is fined $15K, has to go through the NBA's drug program again.

OK, now he knows the next positive will make it all public -the pacers, his family will know, and he'll be suspended for 5 games, and lose a lot of money. Surely he has learned his lesson, surely he will stop his career and reputation is at stake. But no he doesn't stop and now look where he is.

I think he has a drug problem by definition.

Edit: aside - I don't think the Pacers are contacted until after the third positive, I think the first two are confidential. Can someone confirm that?? - Yes Mike Wells confirms this below

Unclebuck
08-27-2010, 03:10 PM
Here is Wells article on this posted at 2:52 PM Indy time. he says it is pot as no other drug carries a 5-game suspension. Click on the link for the whole article

http://www.indystar.com/article/20100827/SPORTS04/8270398/NBA-suspends-Pacers-guard-Rush-for-drug-violations

As part of the collective bargaining agreement, only the league can discipline players for violating the drug program, and teams don't find out about failed tests until the player is suspended

woowoo
08-27-2010, 03:12 PM

I totally agree, and considering Mary Jane is not physically addictive it just shows once again that these idiots with guaranteed contracts just do not give **** about their livelihood, or their team and team mates.

This is just so disappointing. These ridiculous guaranteed contracts have got to go.

I would trade his *** ASAP

JB24
08-27-2010, 03:13 PM
While Brandon Rush is out partying and smoking weed, Roy Hibbert and Paul George are in the weight room trying to become more effective on the court.

He's a dumb*** for getting caught 3 times, but this is just a ridiculous thing to say. For all we know, Rush is out in LA working harder than both of these guys. And for all we know, Roy and Paul smoke a little pot in their downtime.

Justin Tyme
08-27-2010, 03:13 PM

I'm sure Shade would be all for it. Myself, I'd be more inclined to try for Rudy Fernandez.

woowoo
08-27-2010, 03:15 PM
Despite the negative PR involved here....my guess is that the Pacers will give him a very public PR "slap on the wrist"...miss whatever games he's supposed to miss....give Bird more of a reason to include BRush in trade talks ( not like he hasn't done so before ) and ( in the end ) IMHO BRush will still be on the roster by December.

I'd assume ( or at least hope ) that the FO must have some inkling of how much of a problem this is for BRush......whether it is a "leisurely" type of thing that BRush can control on his own ( with some very close monitoring from the FO ) or a "serious" issue that the FO has been fully aware of that is a much deeper problem. If it's the latter.....then the asking price for BRush is probably been reduced with a strong chance that he'll be moved by February along with Dunleavy or Ford as mild sweetner.

BTW.....I do not condone what he did...but unless it's a "chronic" ( pardon the pun ) problem of his, then I'm willing to give BRush some slack here as he has been a model citizen since his arrival in Indy. Any negative PR is not good for the Pacers.....but I don't consider this anywhere near the offense the Lance has allegedly perpetrated.

huh? This jackazz knows that he was smoking a banned substance and he could get dropped at any time. yet he "chooses" to do it anyway.. even after getting caught twice prior. This is just idiotic.... I would cut him today if the Pacers did not have to pay him.

BornReady
08-27-2010, 03:15 PM
Rush sure got busted really fast! He's only entering his 3rd year!

JonnyB83
08-27-2010, 03:16 PM

I've been thinking this for a while, and I know it's off subject, but I love how Hibbert and George seem to be hanging out a lot. This picture absolutlely cracks me up by the way.

Since86
08-27-2010, 03:17 PM

Pot isn't addictive, you know that right? He's going to fill the void he feels, either through pot, alcohol, shopping, eating, something.

The myths surrounding pot are just continually perpetuated. Like the running joke pot makes you stupid because it kills brain cells, when in reality it actually stimulates brain activity. (The case study that's used to back up the claim it causes brain damage was because they fed monkeys straight pot smoke, without oxygen. The case was presented that the smoke caused brain damage, not the lack of oxygen.)

I'm not trying to shift blame, at all. He knows he's a banned substance, and he is responsible for the consequences. My feelings on the legality of pot, and the situation here are two completely different things.

Time to pay the piper Mr. Rush.

count55
08-27-2010, 03:20 PM

Isn't this arguably how we got here in the first place?

SMosley21
08-27-2010, 03:21 PM

Logistically we could, but I HIGHly doubt that Portland is going to trade for a guy who has been busted for marijuana after all the struggles they went through with the Jailblazers era.

SMosley21
08-27-2010, 03:26 PM
He's a dumb*** for getting caught 3 times, but this is just a ridiculous thing to say. For all we know, Rush is out in LA working harder than both of these guys. And for all we know, Roy and Paul smoke a little pot in their downtime.

Why is it a ridiculous thing to say? Of the things that WE HAVE KNOWLEDGE OF...

* Roy Hibbert and Paul George are pretty much constantly in the gym or doing some sort of training to improve their games and their bodies.
* Roy has made great strides in improving his game since he came into the league.
* Brandon Rush is essentially the exact same player now as he was when we drafted him.
* Brandon Rush has failed 3 drug tests and is suspended for 5 games without pay.

I don't think it sounds all that ridiculous to assume at all.

Pacers24Colts12
08-27-2010, 03:28 PM
I think the debate on whether pot is addictive or not is debatable. A lot of my friends are marijuana smokers. All of them, that's all they wanna do is get high all the time. I used to smoke, when I smoked I wanted to smoke all the time also. I truly think it is addictive.

If your making millions, and you know you get random tests and you know you have failed 2 of them...wouldn't you quit to save your career instead of being labeled as a bust and a druggie? Who would've thought Kareem has had a 20x better career than Brandon.

Get him out of here, his play is so lazy half the time. Sure maybe JOB isn't the best coach for him, but he hasn't given JOB any reason to trust him. Atleast this suspension is in the first 5 games and not the last 5. He plays like **** til after the all-star break anyways.

Sookie
08-27-2010, 03:29 PM
Pot isn't addictive, you know that right? He's going to fill the void he feels, either through pot, alcohol, shopping, eating, something.

The myths surrounding pot are just continually perpetuated. Like the running joke pot makes you stupid because it kills brain cells, when in reality it actually stimulates brain activity. (The case study that's used to back up the claim it causes brain damage was because they fed monkeys straight pot smoke, without oxygen. The case was presented that the smoke caused brain damage, not the lack of oxygen.)

I'm not trying to shift blame, at all. He knows he's a banned substance, and he is responsible for the consequences. My feelings on the legality of pot, and the situation here are two completely different things.

Pot isn't chemically addicting, but it's emotionally addictive. Just like sex and gambling ect..

I'm not quite sure he "has a problem" seeing as Pot can stay in your system for a long time. He might have not smoked any for a month before his first drug test, and still failed.

But if he does have a "problem" with pot, then most likely unless he figures out what the "void" is, then if he stops with pot, he'll start with other ways to "fill that void" many of which to be honest, I'd prefer him just smoke..

CableKC
08-27-2010, 03:31 PM
BTW.....I think that there are Teams out there that can withstand this type of negative PR and would be willing to overlook this type of transgression ( maybe teams like the Grizzlies or the Knicks ) while trying to get a cheap but defensively solid GF.

Larry Staverman
08-27-2010, 03:31 PM
Since we have to have a zero tolerance policy with no 2nd chances because we are the Pacers and this is Indiana I guess he must be cut immediately.

Can't have a double standard you know!

pacers74
08-27-2010, 03:33 PM

you can't go and say "for all we know Roy and Paul smoke a littel pot in their downtime." Until they get busted for it you have to assume they are clean. They aren't giving you any reason to think they are smoking anything.

CableKC
08-27-2010, 03:34 PM
Ok, lets see if it is chronic.

He comes into the NBA, he is told of the drug program, he knows approximately when he will be tested. Either he doesn't care or is too stupid to realize he will test positive. But he does test positive and has to go through the NBA's drug treatment program.

OK, so he is now wise, he knows how it works, he knows he is getting paid over $2M dollars, he knows he will be tested again and yet he continues to use the stuff and comes up positive again, is fined $15K, has to go through the NBA's drug program again.

OK, now he knows the next positive will make it all public -the pacers, his family will know, and he'll be suspended for 5 games, and lose a lot of money. Surely he has learned his lesson, surely he will stop his career and reputation is at stake. But no he doesn't stop and now look where he is.

Edit: aside - I don't think the Pacers are contacted until after the third positive, I think the first two are confidential. Can someone confirm that?? - Yes Mike Wells confirms this below

huh? This jackazz knows that he was smoking a banned substance and he could get dropped at any time. yet he "chooses" to do it anyway.. even after getting caught twice prior. This is just idiotic.... I would cut him today if the Pacers did not have to pay him.
I don't disagree with either of you on this. As I've said....if it's truly a problem that the FO is fully aware of ( which based off of UBs post...its seems like it's the case )....I can see the added incentive to now include BRush in trade talks with our Expiring Contracts for a PF.

Before, I can see a reluctance to move him given his skillset...even as sweetner...but now...I can see far less reluctance in doing so given these developments.

For example, I'd be okay with a Kenyon Martin+Anthony Carter ( filler ) for Dunleavy+BRush+Solo deal. Saves the Nuggets about $3.5 mil in SalaryCap ( which translates into about $7 mil cuz they are over the LT ).

Unclebuck
08-27-2010, 03:35 PM
Since we have to have a zero tolerance policy with no 2nd chances because we are the Pacers and this is Indiana I guess he must be cut immediately.

We don't have a zero tolerance policy. Who was the last player that was cut immediately??

Since86
08-27-2010, 03:35 PM
Habit forming? Most definately.

I really wasn't trying to get into the myth/facts of the case, honestly, but more the point that it fills a void. He has to have deeper issues to be willing to risk his job over pot, and if he just stops smoking and doesn't figure out and confront the problem something else will take it's place.

I hope he just doesn't get drug treatment, because he has a drug problem. That's my point. He needs someone to walk him through why he smokes, instead of just getting him to stop smoking.

I have a hard time believing the reason he smokes is because he likes the way it makes him feel. You don't risk your livelihood on something that can be substituted quite easily.

aceace
08-27-2010, 03:36 PM
While *pot* is relatively harmless, when you sign an NBA personal services contract you are expected to maintain yourself physically and mentally. You are expected to follow certain guidelines. You are expected to bring your best game every night. How do the Pacers know that he's not smoking weed a couple hours before the game, which could have an effect on that nights performance. Brush screwed himself, his next contract will be smaller than what it could have been. This tells me that other things are more important than winning. Load that cargo on the trade ship.

jhondog28
08-27-2010, 03:36 PM
I would have said he smoked himself stupid. I would like to concur that I had tons of friends who constantly smoked pot and seemed like they wanted to do it all the time. It affected their decision making, their energy and overall emotional state. These things are not good for a professional athlete. Not to mention the **** load of twinkies he probably puts away.

ChristianDudley
08-27-2010, 03:37 PM
Back when Beasley, Chalmers, and Darrell Arthur were busted at the Rookie Orientation camp (after they were drafted, before the season began) I was glad that Rush wasn't involved as 2 of his college teammates and best friends are Mario and Darrell, and I thought it showed he knew when to stay out of trouble and stay away from it, blah blah blah, but now I see that he's a bonehead just like those 3--pulling some Birdman and David Harrison crap by failing a drug test 3 times. By now he should know better, but then again this isn't the first time it has happened to a celebrity and/or sports figure. I doubt we trade him after this, but if it happens anymore, I could see the Pacers trying to rid the team of him.

Eindar
08-27-2010, 03:37 PM
I think the debate on whether pot is addictive or not is debatable. A lot of my friends are marijuana smokers. All of them, that's all they wanna do is get high all the time. I used to smoke, when I smoked I wanted to smoke all the time also. I truly think it is addictive.

If your making millions, and you know you get random tests and you know you have failed 2 of them...wouldn't you quit to save your career instead of being labeled as a bust and a druggie? Who would've thought Kareem has had a 20x better career than Brandon.

Get him out of here, his play is so lazy half the time. Sure maybe JOB isn't the best coach for him, but he hasn't given JOB any reason to trust him. Atleast this suspension is in the first 5 games and not the last 5. He plays like **** til after the all-star break anyways.

In terms of it being physically addictive, it's not debateable. It's science. No withdrawal, no addiction.

It can be psychologically addictive, but so can sex, gambing, and, for that matter, World of Warcraft. It's simply escapist behavior leading to an addictive crutch.

Regardless, I'm not so much worried about Brandon's pot use as I am about what this says about him. As others have said, to get busted three times when you know that third test is coming is just flat-out stupid, and typically indicates that you're not really focusing that hard on your career.

It's only compounded by the SG/SF rotation the Pacers have this year. With Granger, Dunleavy, D. Jones, George, Posey, and even Lance in the mix, costing yourself 5 games could cost you a lot more playing time as you try to work yourself back up the rotation. This could lead to less exposure, which means a smaller (or no) second contract. This incident doesn't seem like much, but it really can have a dramatic impact on your career and lifestyle in a league where swingmen are a dime a dozen and the margin between 2nd string and NBDL is razor-thin.

Third, I suppose I should have suspected this was coming. He's a Rush brother, and one thing they all seem to have in common is acting like a knucklehead.

Sookie
08-27-2010, 03:38 PM

There is a big difference between smoking pot repeatedly and slamming a woman's head against a step.

Do they get the same punishment in court? Why would they get the same punishment here?

TMJ31
08-27-2010, 03:39 PM
When I loaded up ESPN this morning and saw "Rush suspended", I was really hoping the article started by saying... "Kareem Rush..."

Nope.

*sigh*

JB24
08-27-2010, 03:42 PM
Why is it a ridiculous thing to say? Of the things that WE HAVE KNOWLEDGE OF...

* Roy Hibbert and Paul George are pretty much constantly in the gym or doing some sort of training to improve their games and their bodies.
* Roy has made great strides in improving his game since he came into the league.
* Brandon Rush is essentially the exact same player now as he was when we drafted him.
* Brandon Rush has failed 3 drug tests and is suspended for 5 games without pay.

I don't think it sounds all that ridiculous to assume at all.

Well, we've also heard from Wells that he's had an excellent summer in LA- a story that's been corroborated by Earl Watson who's been out there working with him. I said it was ridiculous mainly because assuming he hasn't been doing anything except smoking up and partying all summer is exactly that, in light of what we've heard.

Kaufman
08-27-2010, 03:43 PM
while the two violations simply aren't comparable, i would imagine that this takes QUITE a bit of pressure off of Lance Stephenson.

Again, the two violations aren't comparable. But - it will still take some of the edge off Lance.

Gamble1
THe dialogue.

Lance: Hey Brandon thanks for taking the focus off of me.

BRandon: NO problem its not like we going to get cut right?

Lance: Ya no way Bird cuts the 2 best players on our team.

Brandon: YOu want to some of my funions....

Lance: Sure. I'll lose weight in tranning camp.

Lance: YOu want my whizzinator?

Brandon: NO I'll just drink some cranberry juice

Camera: Q to slow fade.

SMosley21
Well, we've also heard from Wells that he's had an excellent summer in LA- a story that's been corroborated by Earl Watson who's been out there working with him. I said it was ridiculous mainly because assuming he hasn't been doing anything except smoking up and partying all summer is exactly that, in light of what we've heard.

Last summer we heard about Rush's training in LA too. His play during the season didn't corroborate those stories.

Dukins
08-27-2010, 03:44 PM
This explains why he isnt consistant and his jumpshot his so laaaaaaazy LOL. Not a laughing matter for us Pacer fans although.

JB24
08-27-2010, 03:45 PM
you can't go and say "for all we know Roy and Paul smoke a littel pot in their downtime." Until they get busted for it you have to assume they are clean. They aren't giving you any reason to think they are smoking anything.

All right, i'll give you that. But by the same token, it isn't ok to discredit the work someone's put in over a summer because he got caught smoking pot. An idiot maybe, but imo it says nothing about his work ethic.

Hicks
08-27-2010, 03:48 PM
Guys, this isn't a thread for debating pot. Please keep this on topic about Brandon and the Pacers.

Noodle
08-27-2010, 03:48 PM
Hey, something to get the holier than thou types going. Don't care. Ignoring thread now.

Sookie
08-27-2010, 03:51 PM
Interesting irony how..in about two weeks time, Paul George has gone from being the least talked about young wing, to probably the one we're most excited about. :laugh:

Gamble1
08-27-2010, 03:52 PM
I think its safe to say that Brandon has a drug abuse problem.

Addicted or not his trade value just dropped 25%.

Granville
08-27-2010, 03:53 PM
And the hits just keep on coming (for the Pacers and apparently Rush too).

docpaul
08-27-2010, 04:01 PM
This is way, way disappointing. :(

If I were the Pacers FO, I'd sit Rush down... and tell him simply: if you don't quit, then we will simply bench you until your contract expires and we will remove any semblance of interest that other teams might have in you. End of career.

I've so wanted Rush to succeed, but this incident is an indication that he's not really invested in success himself.

Total bummer for me.

MagicRat
08-27-2010, 04:01 PM
Exact opposite when it comes to Paul George and Magnum Rolle. Those guys seem to always be working out or hanging together.......

...or getting tattoos with Lance Stephenson.....

90'sNBARocked
08-27-2010, 04:02 PM
I tend to think that's true...how do they pass the tests though? Borrow Scalabrine's urine?

Not to be wrong but, there are PLENTY of ways to beat a test for marajuana

90'sNBARocked
08-27-2010, 04:03 PM
I am not 100% sure. But I think the first test is not random - the players know it is coming - I think it occurs in training camp (maybe different for rookies) but if a player tests positive, thereafter I think it is somewhat random

Don't quote me on this

Not sure if Sheed was quoted on this, but the famous quote was from Charles Oakley - he said 80%

You might be wright buck, come to think of it sheed got caught with weed before , so I doubt he would have said it. I definitley think you're right that it was Oakley

90'sNBARocked
08-27-2010, 04:03 PM

I think so

Bball
08-27-2010, 04:08 PM
Logistically we could, but I HIGHly doubt that Portland is going to trade for a guy who has been busted for marijuana after all the struggles they went through with the Jailblazers era.

Sorry... I think Shade hijacked my account and posted that. ;)

SMosley21
...or getting tattoos with Lance Stephenson.....

What's wrong with getting a tattoo? If you paid attention you would see that was the only time those guys ever said anything about hanging with Stephenson.

pacers74
You think Brandon has problems getting good weed in March and April and that is why his production goes up then?

pacers74
08-27-2010, 04:09 PM
JMV just said we should trade for Woody Harrelson.

Bball
08-27-2010, 04:14 PM
This is way, way disappointing. :(

If I were the Pacers FO, I'd sit Rush down... and tell him simply: if you don't quit, then we will simply bench you until your contract expires and we will remove any semblance of interest that other teams might have in you. End of career.

I've so wanted Rush to succeed, but this incident is an indication that he's not really invested in success himself.

Total bummer for me.

O'Brien is liable to bench him until his contract expires anyway if he isn't aggressive and accurate with his 3 point shooting.

Note: Obligatory per thread coaching reference now fulfilled.

Kstat
08-27-2010, 04:16 PM
Is there a triple facepalm? Two doesn't seem like enough for this.

spreedom
08-27-2010, 04:28 PM

I don't think they're allowed to, are they?

duke dynamite
08-27-2010, 04:29 PM
GOD DAMN MOTHER ****ING BRANDON RUSH, WHAT THE **** ARE YOU THINKING YOU'RE IN THE NBA!!!

Bball
08-27-2010, 04:33 PM
Ok... Dukie has weighed in... Where's Seth?

duke dynamite
08-27-2010, 04:36 PM
It just doesn't make any sense to me that he would screw around with this. Trade his *** away.

Paul George FTW!

vnzla81
08-27-2010, 04:39 PM
I don't think is such a big deal as many people here make it seems, the guy has a drug problem and should be help by the Pacers, I remember hearing stories about Larry Bird doing worse things than that, he was smart enough to never been caught and was big enough for the NBA to look the other way.

imawhat
08-27-2010, 04:39 PM

90'sNBARocked
08-27-2010, 04:40 PM

Buck,

remember Michael Ray Richardson?

Only player to get a lifetime ban from the NBA

cocaine

CableKC
08-27-2010, 04:43 PM
Can MagicRat photoshop Bird in a ST:TNG uniform doing the facepalm next to Picard and Riker?

Larry Staverman
08-27-2010, 04:44 PM
We don't have a zero tolerance policy. Who was the last player that was cut immediately??

I believe in 2nd chances because I was given one when I was was a young adult a long time ago.

I was just echoing a lot of sentiments of some fans I have read on here the last few weeks that the Pacers are different because of the brawl and Indiana fans want milk drinkers who are also star players or they won't attend games.

I don't agree with those sentiments.

90'sNBARocked
08-27-2010, 04:45 PM

Not quite true bro

I believe it was first made illegal because some guy who was a big producer of paper, realized hemp could be used and be cheapre

it is really sad because cigarettes are PROVEN to kill, yet legal

There is nothing , nothing PROVEN that weed kills

I agree with Speed its no different than alcohol, in fact alcohol is more deteremental in my opinion

90'sNBARocked
08-27-2010, 04:48 PM
This is only a joke, but shouldn't we worry about Roy hanging out with Bill Walton all summer. He is one of the most famous deadheads, you know.

i dont know factually but

I would sell everything thing I own and bet Bill has DEFINTELY puffed

SMosley21
08-27-2010, 04:51 PM
Paul George FTW!

Yes!

Kstat
08-27-2010, 04:52 PM
Not agreeing with a law doesn't necessarily excuse you from the consequences if you break it.

I can argue that marijuana should be legal, but if I get a positive test at my job, it doesn't mean they can't or shouldn't punish me.

90'sNBARocked
08-27-2010, 04:56 PM
I don't think is such a big deal as many people here make it seems, the guy has a drug problem and should be help by the Pacers, I remember hearing stories about Larry Bird doing worse things than that, he was smart enough to never been caught and was big enough for the NBA to look the other way.

I dont think anyone has a"drug problem" with weed. I think they chose to f'up and not accomplish things

I know plenty of produvtive citizens who smoke, but also are good fathes, pay taxes, etc

The bottom line is Brandon Knew the next time he got caught he would be suspended

so he f'up

dont blame weed, blame Brandon

90'sNBARocked
08-27-2010, 04:57 PM
I believe in 2nd chances because I was given one when I was was a young adult a long time ago.

I was just echoing a lot of sentiments of some fans I have read on here the last few weeks that the Pacers are different because of the brawl and Indiana fans want milk drinkers who are also star players or they won't attend games.

I don't agree with those sentiments.

I agree

Ever notice how positive threads get little response sometimes but when something bad happens , we have like 15 pages on it

people love to have something to talk about

Doddage
08-27-2010, 04:58 PM
Piece of ****.

I guess the Collison trade was just too much good news for us.

Kstat
08-27-2010, 05:00 PM
I agree

Ever notice how positive threads get little response sometimes but when something bad happens , we have like 15 pages on it

people love to have something to talk about

You'll have to excuse us from our busy schedule of hate-mongering, but exactly how long was the Darren Collison thread?

90'sNBARocked
08-27-2010, 05:00 PM
Brandon Rush of the Indiana Pacers, Kenny Hasbrouck of the Miami Heat and Tyreke Evans of the Sacramento Kings have
each been suspended for their actions in separate incidents, the NBA announced today.

Rush has been suspended without pay for five games for violating the terms of the NBA/NBPA Anti-Drug Program.

Hasbrouck has been suspended without pay for two games for pleading guilty to driving while intoxicated, in violation of the law of the State of New York.

Evans has been suspended without pay for one game for pleading no contest to reckless driving, in violation of the law of the State of California.

Each players' suspension will begin with the first game of the NBA regular season for which he is eligible and physically able to play.

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=17181#ixzz0xqHSGV3O

Seems like Rush was not alone

vnzla81
08-27-2010, 05:04 PM
Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=17181#ixzz0xqHSGV3O

Seems like Rush was not alone

So Evans was driving like crazy and only got one game suspension? the other guy got two days for drunk driving? :hmm:

Brad8888
08-27-2010, 05:07 PM
Speaking as a huge fan of Brandon Rush, Brandon is apparently a physically (not emotionally, though emotions will affect brain chemistry and cause an intensification of the addiction, which I have learned through watching my brother, cousins, and some of their friends who have been on pot for anywhere from 20-35 years, some of them are now in their 60's) addicted person who could have had an amazing NBA career, but now likely will not maximize his potential, or his earnings. It is a shame for both he and the Pacers, and any other team he should end up with, as well as his family.

Now, the shocking thing for me from this is that this actually might give some credibility, in my eyes at least, to the sporadic playing time the Rush has received despite showing well on the court at times. Who knows what happened at practices, or other times off the court that were never reported, that might have led to a dimmer view of his on court performance than many of us as fans had because didn't see what happened off the court? We were never told anything in the media by O'Brien or Bird about anything, but the explanations regarding reduced playing time tended not to match up very well with what was observed on the court IMO.

Though it is probably a stretch to even speculate about this, I wonder who else on the team has had similar issues and may have had their playing time reduced, at times inexplicably, due to the same type of thing during O'Brien's tenure? Hopefully none, but I do wonder about it to an extent. It would be an extremely difficult situation, even to deal with one player with this issue, let alone multiples, and it does raise my level of respect for O'Brien a notch from a personal standpoint. I still disagree with his coaching philosophy, but I hold a different level of respect regarding the handling of yet another difficult situation where the coach (and the franchise, for that matter) has no power or control other than to bench players, banish them, or seek trades, when it must have been apparent to those around the franchise what has been going on (yes, most people know when somebody smokes even when the person doing it thinks they are either not affected by it much or who actually believe their performance in whatever activity they are involved in improves when they smoke, which is total bs).

odeez
08-27-2010, 05:08 PM
So Evans was driving like crazy and only got one game suspension? the other guy got two days for drunk driving? :hmm:

That made me pause too, one could argue those situation are much more dangerous. Regardless Rush should know better, especially if he already failed twice before.

Kstat
08-27-2010, 05:10 PM
to be fair, if all three players had committed their first offense, Rush wouldn't have been suspended at all.

It gets into splitting hairs when you're comparing a 3-time minor offender to a more serious first-time offender.

If Hansbrouck was working on his 3rd DUI, I'd think he would get a lot more than 5 games.

odeez
08-27-2010, 05:13 PM
to be fair, if all three players had committed their first offense, Rush wouldn't have been suspended at all.

It gets into splitting hairs when you're comparing a 3-time minor offender to a more serious first-time offender.

If Hansbrouck was working on his 3rd DUI, I'd think he would get a lot more than 5 games.

true

Lurker
08-27-2010, 05:16 PM

I think so. Looking through the terms of the CBA, the drug penalties vary depending on what class of drugs you test positive for. A "Drug of Abuse" (amphetamine and its analogs, cocaine, LSD, opiates, and PCP) will get you dismissed and disqualified from the NBA. Steroids, performance enhancing drugs, or masking agents will get you a 10 game suspension following the first offense, 25 games after the second, and a year after the third. Marijuana is a separate class of its own and the penalties are far less: entering the league's marijuana program after the first violation, $25K fine and a repeat of the marijuana program after the second violation, and a 5 game suspension and a third pass at the marijuana program after the third failure.

Additionally, a few people asked about the drug testing process; here is what I found out:
- All players are subject to four random tests each season (from October 1 to June 30).
- If the NBA or NBPA receives information that provides reasonable cause of a player’s use, possession or distribution of a Prohibited Substance, they will hold a hearing and if succifient cause is found, that player will be subject to four tests in the next six weeks.

So, I think we can take a few things from this. One, the league's marijuana program has not worked for Brandon, since he has already gone through it twice. Additionally, losing $25K did not influence his behavior.

Secondly, since we are not within the period of random testing it seems likely that the reasonable cause testing clause was invoked here. So, not only did Brandon continue to get himself a third strike, but he apparently did not keep his use private enough to avoid being reported to the NBA or NBPA.

(All information is curtosey of http://www.bizofbasketball.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=657&Itemid=76 ; it looks correct and sections match information found on nba.com, but I couldn't find the full drug penalties called out on nba.com)

[Hey, look at me, I'm referencing the CBA! Maybe I should offer my services to Michael Heisley!]

ChicagoJ
08-27-2010, 05:19 PM
The rules for drug violation penalties are harsher than the personal conduct penalties.

And if you remember the NBA of the late 70s, early 80s, you know why. There are occasional violations, but its not widespread.

I believe, during the last CBA, marijuana went back onto the "tested/ forbidden" list. During the period that was referenced where >80% of the players were partaking, I don't believe it was on that list. The NBPA didn't really have a strong objection to re-adding it to the list as out-of-control player conduct was a hot issue at that time and arguing that marijuana should be "okay/ not tested" would have looked foolish to the public.

I don't care what you think of the laws or legality of it. As long as its illegal and a violation of the CBA, there will be consequences for those that ignore the laws and the terms of the CBA. So there will always be the, "It doesn't matter -- he knew the rules and chose (multiple times) to not abide by them." response.

And that is the part that disappoints me.

Sookie
08-27-2010, 05:20 PM
Speaking as a huge fan of Brandon Rush, Brandon is apparently a physically (not emotionally, though emotions will affect brain chemistry and cause an intensification of the addiction, which I have learned through watching my brother, cousins, and some of their friends who have been on pot for anywhere from 20-35 years, some of them are now in their 60's) addicted person who could have had an amazing NBA career, but now likely will not maximize his potential, or his earnings. It is a shame for both he and the Pacers, and any other team he should end up with, as well as his family.

Now, the shocking thing for me from this is that this actually might give some credibility, in my eyes at least, to the sporadic playing time the Rush has received despite showing well on the court at times. Who knows what happened at practices, or other times off the court that were never reported, that might have led to a dimmer view of his on court performance than many of us as fans had because didn't see what happened off the court? We were never told anything in the media by O'Brien or Bird about anything, but the explanations regarding reduced playing time tended not to match up very well with what was observed on the court IMO.

Though it is probably a stretch to even speculate about this, I wonder who else on the team has had similar issues and may have had their playing time reduced, at times inexplicably, due to the same type of thing during O'Brien's tenure? Hopefully none, but I do wonder about it to an extent. It would be an extremely difficult situation, even to deal with one player with this issue, let alone multiples, and it does raise my level of respect for O'Brien a notch from a personal standpoint. I still disagree with his coaching philosophy, but I hold a different level of respect regarding the handling of yet another difficult situation where the coach (and the franchise, for that matter) has no power or control other than to bench players, banish them, or seek trades, when it must have been apparent to those around the franchise what has been going on (yes, most people know when somebody smokes even when the person doing it thinks they are either not affected by it much or who actually believe their performance in whatever activity they are involved in improves when they smoke, which is total bs).

I doubt it was the reason for the playing time reduction, particularly when..of the young guys..Brandon's minutes were reduced the least.

I do think, that things like "Brandon's on court personality" and such..were probably, partially at least, because of the pot.

Brad8888
08-27-2010, 05:24 PM
I doubt it was the reason for the playing time reduction, particularly when..of the young guys..Brandon's minutes were reduced the least.

I do think, that things like "Brandon's on court personality" and such..were probably, partially at least, because of the pot.

Thanks. I will resume my previous level of disrespect for O'Brien instantaneously, if not sooner! ;)

90'sNBARocked
08-27-2010, 05:26 PM
You'll have to excuse us from our busy schedule of hate-mongering, but exactly how long was the Darren Collison thread?

You know if you want to be a wise arse dont comment

If you have something of subsistence, then fire away

QuickRelease
08-27-2010, 05:30 PM
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:vvsAV3-MEfbR1M:http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g224/SunGodRa/Picard_Wtf-1.jpg&t=1

QuickRelease
08-27-2010, 05:32 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/b4ztfrr8fls?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/b4ztfrr8fls?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

bellisimo
08-27-2010, 05:34 PM
well crap...whats next...Hibbert is gonna start to produce meth from a trailer-home in Albuquerque?

90'sNBARocked
08-27-2010, 05:36 PM
UPDATE II: To clarify, the 5 game suspension indicates Rush's suspension was for failling a marijuana test. Here's a link to the NBA Anti-Drug Program.

http://www.indycornrows.com/2010/8/27/1654167/more-pacers-woes-nba-suspends

Day-V
08-27-2010, 05:41 PM
At least it's only 5 games (and at least it's only Rush). More playing time for PG to start the season.

Kstat
08-27-2010, 05:42 PM
You know if you want to be a wise arse dont comment

If you have something of subsistence, then fire away

I just did. Play the violin somewhere else.

BornReady
08-27-2010, 05:46 PM
who took less time to get suspended for drug use- David Harrison or Brandon Rush?

Day-V
08-27-2010, 05:47 PM
JMV just said we should trade for Woody Harrelson.

The trade-killer is that more than likely we'd have to take on Rosie Perez's annoying voice in order to get to ol' Billy Hoyle.

Trader Joe
08-27-2010, 05:55 PM
HAHAHAHAHA, this thread isn't real! I'm not seeing this on a Friday as I start my weekend and get off work! THIS IS ALL A DREAM! HAHAHAHAHHAHA

INCEPTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not real, not real.

dohman
08-27-2010, 06:01 PM
so what happens in cali this year when it becomes legal. Will the nba be able to penalize for it then? They dont test for cigarettes which imo is far worse then a organic plant.

In no way am I trying to justify brandons actions because he signed a contract knowing he is not allowed to use. From what I have heard is most the league smokes the green.

Doddage
08-27-2010, 06:04 PM
At least it's only 5 games (and at least it's only Rush). More playing time for PG to start the season.
It could end up biting Rush in the *** if George impresses in said playing time.

Trader Joe
08-27-2010, 06:06 PM

And I'd say smoking weed and throwing your girlfriend down the stairs and slamming her head afterwards is a little different than a joint.

the jaddler
08-27-2010, 06:09 PM
Ugh!

Jon Theodore
08-27-2010, 06:09 PM
Brandon Rush isn't even that good of a player, i'd give him the Tinsley treatment just for being an idiot. ON some teams this wouldn't be a big deal, but the public perception of our team is pretty terrible...this clearly doesn't help. If I am Larry Bird I don't think twice and give him the Tinsley treatment...good luck getting another good contract jackass.

pacers74
08-27-2010, 06:14 PM
I don't give a s#$t about this 70 or 90 percent of the league does it crap. That is just an accuse to try and take some of the balme off of Rush. He knows the drug testing policy and what is a banned substance. He has to follow it. Just because some else does pot or whatever does that give him a free pass to do it. No.

When I was in the military I saw lots of people doing drugs. Some got busted some didn't. Does that mean I did them just because I saw other people doing it. NO! I knew better. Just like Brandon knows better.

I'm not saying we should get rid of him, but Bird has to take a long look at a kid who got busted not once, not twice, but three times. Come on now that is stupidy at it's HIGHest.

pianoman
08-27-2010, 06:21 PM
STARTING AT GUARD.... PAUL GEORGE!!!!!

TinManJoshua
08-27-2010, 06:24 PM

http://motivateurself.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/implied-facepalm.jpg

QuickRelease
08-27-2010, 06:29 PM
Is there a triple facepalm? Two doesn't seem like enough for this.http://media.animevice.com/uploads/0/6566/181148-triple_facepalm_super.jpg

cdash
08-27-2010, 06:42 PM
When I first read this, my thought was, "Wow, people on PD are going to **** bananas." My second thought was, "It's not that big of a deal. Marijuana isn't something that bothers me a great deal." The more I read though, the more it kind of makes me mad. He failed three drug tests, and is about to embark on his third stint in the NBA's own version of mini-rehab, and still he persists. Like I said earlier, the weed itself doesn't bother me, but if your job requires you to stop, then freaking stop. They give you two free passes basically, that should be enough. And of course he has to know that this is a bigger deal to this organization than it would be anywhere else in the NBA, it just shows a lack of respect from Brandon.

CableKC
08-27-2010, 06:47 PM
I can probably guess which of the 2 Facepalm pictures Hicks will add to the list of pictures we can use in posts.

Basketball Fan
08-27-2010, 07:03 PM
I don't think Marijuana is worse than alcohol but that being said he broke the rules and he should be punished accordingly. I don't think it will be a major scandal because of the whole iMPD scandal being front and center. He picked a good time to break the rules if he was going to do it anyways.

count55
08-27-2010, 07:23 PM
http://www.eightpointsnineseconds.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/FacePaw.jpg

Just for good measure

ChristianDudley
08-27-2010, 07:28 PM
Still can't believe he failed it 3 times. If it would have been a normal everyday job, he would have (I'm assuming) been fired the first time he failed the drug test.

speakout4
08-27-2010, 07:29 PM
This constant bad PR means that Lance, Brandon, or both will be gone as someone will have to be sacrificed to improve the pacer image.

I don't know which idiot, Lance or Brandon is more pathetic. Lance can't control himself and Brandon is just a damn fool.

The good part is neither are locked up long term like Tinsley and the others whose contracts ate up $$.

pacers74
08-27-2010, 07:31 PM
Don't know if this has benn discussed, but Well's says teams aren't informed of the first 2 failed drug test. That is wierd. I guess there goes the theory of why Bird was trying to trade him.

Teams aren't informed about the first 2 failed test. They don't know about the situation until the player fails a 3rd time and is suspended. about 6 hours ago (http://twitter.com/Wells222/status/22285489755) via web
http://twitter.com/Wells222

Tom White
08-27-2010, 07:32 PM

Except that the league does not have rules about having an adult beverage.

What if he is tested during the regular season, when the team is depending on him to be there? That is one of my problems with it. He hasn't learned after being nailed twice before. That's just stoopid! (Yes, it is dumb enough to warrant the stupid with two "o"'s.

Kemo
08-27-2010, 07:57 PM
Well this would explain his rather lackadaisical attitude towards things.

LOL so THIS is why he sometimes looks so passive on the court... cause he is stoned out of his mind .. lmao

I mean , that would kinda explain it ...

I , at this point .. don't know what to think... Except I hope he gets it together...

I don't consider pot that big of a deal personally .. even though I don't smoke it , and haven't for ages ...

But I do consider it a big deal... when it is still technically illegal , and a condition of your "job" is to be drug-free..

I agree with letting him sit out 10-15 games... then hope that was enough to take this once-in a lifetime job seriously ... I mean I know alot of people who would literally kill someone to do what he does, making the kind of money he does... He , as any NBA player , should take it seriously.... damn seriously... I know I would..

BlueNGold
08-27-2010, 08:17 PM
First off, I am not surprised particularly if it was weed. If it had been Roy or Danny I would have been surprised. Basically, this validates my view that I can tell a person's character with little more than my eyes and ears...roughly 80% of the time.

As for weed, it funds criminal organizations that kill people and run harder drugs. IOW, I think he is part of the problem. The drug itself might be best legalized, but as long as society and our laws say it is illegal, you should not be using it. Instead, fight to get the law changed.

BlueNGold
08-27-2010, 08:18 PM
I don't know which idiot, Lance or Brandon is more pathetic.

Wow. There is no comparison.

speakout4
08-27-2010, 08:21 PM
Wow. There is no comparison.
That was rhetorical meaning that both were pathetic in their own way.

Stryder
08-27-2010, 08:22 PM
I don't think the legality of what he did is up for debate. He broke a rule 3 times and must now suffer the consequences. It shows what a knucklehead he is.

As for the marijuana debate itself, I don't think this is the forum for that discussion. But before engaging in discussion, I just warn everyone to first understand the history of marijuana, how it became illegal in this country, and its physiological and psychological effects, as well as toxicological effects.

Kemo
08-27-2010, 08:29 PM

I think personally , that drunk driving is way way way more serious than getting caught with mj in your urine....

Kemo
08-27-2010, 08:36 PM
My question.... is ....

Exactly why are players being drug tested in the offseason?

I personally don't agree with it .. IMO any drug tests , random or not .. should start from the beginning of preseason...

It's just like as if you had a seasonal (spring/summer) construction type job, where you only worked 6 to 7 months out of the year... and all at once you get popped for a drug test a few days before xmas ..

I dunno , seems kinda weird to me ...

Kemo
08-27-2010, 08:38 PM
- All players are subject to four random tests each season (from October 1 to June 30).

So then why is he getting drug tested in the offseason if this holds true?

Unless it happened before June 30th and we are now just getting results .. but that just seems unlikely...but then again who knows...

Day-V
08-27-2010, 08:46 PM
I personally don't agree with it .. IMO any drug tests , random or not .. should start from the beginning of preseason...

Their contracts are year-round, so therefore I believe the drug tests should be year-round.

Hell, if I'm a player, I'd WANT to have year-round testing. Not only do I not have to worry about my results, but it also keeps my teammates in check. It also goes without saying, that in the offseason, I would prefer my teammates to be pumping iron like Roy and Paul and not puffing smoke like Mr. "The Paint Area is Lava!"

Justin Tyme
08-27-2010, 08:54 PM
I don't care what you think of the laws or legality of it. As long as its illegal and a violation of the CBA, there will be consequences for those that ignore the laws and the terms of the CBA. So there will always be the, "It doesn't matter -- he knew the rules and chose (multiple times) to not abide by them." response.

You said how I feel about it.

Lurker
08-27-2010, 09:08 PM
So then why is he getting drug tested in the offseason if this holds true?

Unless it happened before June 30th and we are now just getting results .. but that just seems unlikely...but then again who knows...

Besides the random testing during the season, there is a clause in there for "reasonable cause". Basically, if someone approaches the NBA with evidence that you've been using and they agree that it is sufficient, they can order four additional drug tests in the next six weeks.

So basically, the NBA got wind of his use after two strikes, decided that the evidence was pretty good, and did some additional testing. At least that's how I interpret it. Like you, I can't see a third failed test from during the season as just being announced now.

Shalaska
08-27-2010, 09:22 PM
He failed 3 times?! 3 ***damn times?!?!

But let's look at the bright side, at least he's consistent at something now.. Failing drug tests :disturbed

pwee31
08-27-2010, 09:35 PM
Mike Dunleavy FTW!!

I've always been questionable on Rush, there's no question now.

Damn Michael Jordan for not giving us Gerald Henderson at the deadline!

Day-V
08-27-2010, 09:48 PM
Damn Michael Jordan for not giving us Gerald Henderson at the deadline!

There's still time for Jordan to pull the trigger, thankfully. :D

McKeyFan
08-27-2010, 09:49 PM

This point and others stated are valid reasons to be disappointed.

But I am most disappointed by what this communicates to me regarding his work ethic, his desire to be great.

Forget legalities and NBA rules. To me, it's not much different from a player eating a bag of cheatos every day. It just shows me he's not committed to being a champion.

But I think we already knew that.

Day-V
08-27-2010, 09:56 PM
But I am most disappointed by what this communicates to me regarding his work ethic, his desire to be great.

Forget legalities and NBA rules. To me, it's not much different from a player eating a bag of cheatos every day. It just shows me he's not committed to being a champion.

But I think we already knew that.

Agree 100%. I started to question his desire on draft night with his Twitter comments after we drafted PG. His buddy, in fact it was Mario Chalmers if I do remember correctly, asked him if he was going to be in Summer League. Rush responded with something like "Hell no, i'm not doing that *****" or something like that. Granted, he probably didn't need to be in Summer Leagues, but you would rather him say something along the lines of "Nah, but I might stay in town and work out with Roy and AJ" or something to that effect.

This summer we've heard about Roy's work with Walton, we've SEEN videos of AJ being in the weight room very soon after his knee injury, we continue to see Paul and Roy working out together, Danny out playing with Team USA, and reports of Tyler working hard to get back to game shape. Yet we haven't heard a peep about Rush after Draft Night until now. And it's by no means a positive report.

I just don't see this guy ever reaching his true potential. Mainly because he really doesn't appear like he wants it.

ksuttonjr76
08-27-2010, 10:09 PM
Meh...I would make a comment, but I'm still trying to rebuild my reputation due to my butt pinching comments from earlier in the month.

Oops...should have said that.

Heisenberg
08-27-2010, 10:25 PM
well crap...whats next...Hibbert is gonna start to produce meth from a trailer-home in Albuquerque?
The ABQ belongs to me. Gus will quickly squash any competition.

speakout4
08-27-2010, 10:31 PM
Agree 100%. I started to question his desire on draft night with his Twitter comments after we drafted PG. His buddy, in fact it was Mario Chalmers if I do remember correctly, asked him if he was going to be in Summer League. Rush responded with something like "Hell no, i'm not doing that *****" or something like that. Granted, he probably didn't need to be in Summer Leagues, but you would rather him say something along the lines of "Nah, but I might stay in town and work out with Roy and AJ" or something to that effect.

This summer we've heard about Roy's work with Walton, we've SEEN videos of AJ being in the weight room very soon after his knee injury, we continue to see Paul and Roy working out together, Danny out playing with Team USA, and reports of Tyler working hard to get back to game shape. Yet we haven't heard a peep about Rush after Draft Night until now. And it's by no means a positive report.

I just don't see this guy ever reaching his true potential. Mainly because he really doesn't appear like he wants it.
Maybe the reason he seems to not get started until half the season is under way is because of lack of conditioning in the off season.

imawhat
08-27-2010, 10:43 PM
Maybe the reason he seems to not get started until half the season is under way is because of lack of conditioning in the off season.

Or not. There are multiple reports about his great offseason workouts last year and this year.

I think he's done something pretty stupid but it doesn't mean he hasn't worked on his game.

speakout4
08-27-2010, 10:54 PM
Or not. There are multiple reports about his great offseason workouts last year and this year.

I think he's done something pretty stupid but it doesn't mean he hasn't worked on his game.
Can you provide a recent link?

MyFavMartin
08-27-2010, 11:09 PM
You think Brandon has problems getting good weed in March and April and that is why his production goes up then?

I was wondering that myself.

That and whether God is trying to tell us we're all fools.

MyFavMartin
08-27-2010, 11:13 PM
Does this take the pressure off Rush of our expectations as fans and give him reason to make us fans of his again?

Proof through play?

And staying clean?

BlueNGold
08-27-2010, 11:16 PM
...so, which Pacer will be the next to get in trouble? Any predictions? Paul George? Magnum? Solo? McBob?

It seems like the Pacers will need to cut the entire roster to prevent more incidents.

LoneGranger33
08-27-2010, 11:27 PM
I was really hoping this team wouldn't disappoint me until November.

MagicRat
08-27-2010, 11:49 PM
http://chaos.able-towers.com/%7Emagicrat/facepalm.jpg

PacerFan31
08-27-2010, 11:50 PM
This is exactly why I hate brandon rush, he isn't worth this at all.

Kemo
08-28-2010, 01:11 AM
Pacers president Larry Bird said in a statement. "We will do what we can to provide Brandon help going forward."

Read more: http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/68869/20100827/rush_evans_hasbrouck_receive_suspensions/#ixzz0xsW8Ufnp

CableKC
08-28-2010, 01:34 AM
Hicks....please make this a smiley.

DTheKing23
08-28-2010, 01:41 AM
I really dont understand why there has to be laws that do not affect anyone else in any way whatsoever..To me that is someones own business...almost like its against the law for an adult to not wear a seatbelt but ok to ride a motorcycle no helmet no seatbelt..crazy world we live in everyone is always worried what the next person is doing instead of just focusing on teir own lives.

duke dynamite
08-28-2010, 02:15 AM
I think we've washed this roster out so many times the stains just seem to not come out. You can dump players only so much, but there is always going to be a bad apple or two.

"I'm not mad...just disappointed." That's all Larry needs to say to Brandon.

RamBo_Lamar
08-28-2010, 02:54 AM
TRADE HIM

Jose Slaughter
08-28-2010, 04:10 AM
TRADE HIM

Well.... this is the last season on his rookie deal, so he is an ending contract at just a hair over 2M.

The Pacers have a team option for him in 11-12.

Miller-Time
08-28-2010, 05:07 AM
Just get him out of town, so sick of this stuff.
With Dahntay, Paul George and Dun we have enough options @ the 2 guard spot. Even if we just get an apple and an egg - I`m all 4 it. Better than paying this dumb** with his brain smoked away. It`s so frustating und disappointing once again. And all this stuff comes just when there actually was a bright light after the Collison-Deal in Pacerland :/

Putnam
08-28-2010, 07:37 AM
It's too late now but if I'd come into this earlier I could have made a pretty good, "And now for something completely different: a man with three drug violations" routine.

Apart from that . . . . . :kickcan:

indygeezer
08-28-2010, 07:46 AM
I really dont understand why there has to be laws that do not affect anyone else in any way whatsoever..To me that is someones own business...almost like its against the law for an adult to not wear a seatbelt but ok to ride a motorcycle no helmet no seatbelt..crazy world we live in everyone is always worried what the next person is doing instead of just focusing on teir own lives.

While I may agree with some of what you say (and only mildly disagree with some) this is not about "the law", this is about a workplace rule. A rule instituted by your employer who pays your salary and owns your soul.

I've seen guys let go because their employers name appeared in the paper when the guy was busted at a party. The people were cut loose before there was even a trial. Arrested and the story read " also arrested was JOHN DOE a shipping clerk for MEGACORP"....the next morning the guy was gone. No trial...no questions.....a true Zero Tolerance. But the company pays the salary and so the company makes the rules.

speakout4
08-28-2010, 07:55 AM
In today's Star it says that players are tested 4 times and only during the season. That's 8 tests and caught 3 times. It's hard to conclude that his on-court performance was not affected.

sportfireman
08-28-2010, 08:00 AM
In today's Star it says that players are tested 4 times and only during the season. That's 8 tests and caught 3 times. It's hard to conclude that his on-court performance was not affected.

Not making any excuses for Brandon but ummmmmmmm the season hasn't started yet..........:confused:

speakout4
08-28-2010, 08:06 AM
Not making any excuses for Brandon but ummmmmmmm the season hasn't started yet..........:confused:
I said was affected not will be affected. The many criticisms of Brandon the last 2 years possibly may be attributed to his use of drugs.

Whatever you think about the legality or illegality of drugs, their harmfulness or otherwise they will affect performance.

Chuck Chillout
08-28-2010, 08:18 AM

Anybody know why the NBA announces suspensions in late August for screens that were taken at least 5 months ago?

DrFife
08-28-2010, 08:45 AM

:lol2:

MagicRat ... the man, the myth, the legend....

:bowdown:

KennerLeaguer
08-28-2010, 09:15 AM
Can you provide a recent link?

I can't find the link but I can say that Mike Wells himself reported that based on sources Brandon was supposedly having a great summer of workouts out in L.A.

Eleazar
08-28-2010, 09:15 AM
Come back when he has killed someone then I will care. Otherwise all I care about is the NBA changing the stupid rule.

sportfireman
08-28-2010, 09:17 AM
I said was affected not will be affected. The many criticisms of Brandon the last 2 years possibly may be attributed to his use of drugs.

Whatever you think about the legality or illegality of drugs, their harmfulness or otherwise they will affect performance.

I'm talking about the time of the drug test....... if it was done during the season why is it just coming out? And if it was done last season then something should have been done long ago........... IMO

:confused:

BlueNGold
08-28-2010, 09:25 AM
Anybody know why the NBA announces suspensions in late August for screens that were taken at least 5 months ago?

Several reasons. They will not do this coming up on the playoffs because the fans are watching and it's not good advertisement for the game. IOW, money.

They will not do it during the summer because a) Players anticipate the start of the season and the timing is more disappointing for them...so it is tougher punishment and b) the other players have better access and are more motivated to influence them than during the summer when people are scattered. It is also a way to shame a player as a fresh new season starts.

Kstat
08-28-2010, 09:27 AM
Several reasons. They will not do this coming up on the playoffs because the fans are watching and it's not good advertisement for the game. IOW, money.

They will not do it during the summer because a) Players anticipate the start of the season and the timing is more disappointing for them...so it is tougher punishment and b) the other players have better access and are more motivated to influence them than during the summer when people are scattered. It is also a way to shame a player as a fresh new season starts.

All great points.

McKeyFan
08-28-2010, 10:07 AM
b) the other players have better access and are more motivated to influence them than during the summer when people are scattered.

I didn't understand this one.

Brad8888
08-28-2010, 10:15 AM

You know. They will get on that Twitter thingy more often so everybody else has access to them, too. Obviously, communication is most efficient and effective in 140 characters or less. ;)

BlueNGold
08-28-2010, 10:27 AM

When the team is preparing for the season and starts practicing, they will be in close contact with Brandon on a regular basis. That is not necessarily true during June or July when players are scattered across the globe. It's simply easier to influence someone when you have access to them regularly. If the news came in June, there would be no support from other players at that time and by the beginning of the season the issue will have already run its course.

dal9
08-28-2010, 10:55 AM

did you just make these up, or is this really true?

also, I was thinking, for all the talk about how much players blaze, isnt it crazy that Brush was the only player in the entire league to get pot violation number 3 over the course of last season (or in the last part of the season?)

Brad8888
08-28-2010, 10:56 AM
I think we've washed this roster out so many times the stains just seem to not come out. You can dump players only so much, but there is always going to be a bad apple or two.

"I'm not mad...just disappointed." That's all Larry needs to say to Brandon.

I guess we need OxiClean. Where's Billy Mays when the Pacers need him? Oh, yeah, drugs didn't work out so well for him, either...

I know! We need Bird's face photoshopped onto Billy Mays holding a tub of OxiClean.

Trophy
08-28-2010, 11:28 AM
TRADE HIM

Kravitz thinks we should too.

vnzla81
08-28-2010, 11:29 AM
Kravitz thinks we should too.

He is been saying that for like two years

Justin Tyme
08-28-2010, 11:40 AM
As a direhard fan after the recent Stephenson and Rusk episodes, I feel like someone just knocked the wind out of me after things were really beinging to look so much better than the past 6 years.

I'm at a loss as to what these 2 knuckleheads were thinking. They have chance to make good money doing something they enjoy that can give them the security of a good future life only to P*** it away with STUPIDITY!

Justin Tyme
08-28-2010, 11:42 AM
He is been saying that for like two years

Maybe he knew something we didn't, until now.

Justin Tyme
08-28-2010, 11:56 AM
When a player fails the test for a 4th time, what is the penalty? Anyone know?

PacerDude
08-28-2010, 12:22 PM
When a player fails the test for a 4th time, what is the penalty? Anyone know?Another 5 games, in addition to the previous suspension. (I'm pretty sure at least)

So, next time Rush fails, it's 10, then 15, then 20 and on and on and on ...........

Jose Slaughter
08-28-2010, 12:31 PM
I'm talking about the time of the drug test....... if it was done during the season why is it just coming out? And if it was done last season then something should have been done long ago........... IMO

:confused:

My guess, & remember this is strictly a guess, is that after you've failed two test & gone thru their program twice they "might" tell you that you'll be tested at anytime during the year.

Again, my guess is that they have ways of reaching you & either having you come take a test within a certain length of time or they show up at your door. I just had this image of the NBA Pea Police knocking on Rush's door with surgical gloves on holding a little cup.

Hicks
08-28-2010, 12:41 PM
Added:

:birdobrien:

LoneGranger33
08-28-2010, 01:01 PM
Already said, but I'd like to repeat it.

Pot = 5 games
DUI = 2 games
Reckless Driving = 1 games

What's wrong here?

Hicks
08-28-2010, 01:18 PM
Already said, but I'd like to repeat it.

Pot = 5 games
DUI = 2 games
Reckless Driving = 1 games

What's wrong here?

Already addressed.

Pot + 3rd offense = 5 games
DUI + 1st offense = 2 games
Reckless Driving + 1st offense = 1 game.

BlueNGold
08-28-2010, 03:02 PM
did you just make these up, or is this really true?

also, I was thinking, for all the talk about how much players blaze, isnt it crazy that Brush was the only player in the entire league to get pot violation number 3 over the course of last season (or in the last part of the season?)

No, I don't know that it's true. JMHO. I do think it's pretty close to being on target.

speakout4
08-28-2010, 03:05 PM
Maybe he knew something we didn't, until now.
I would assume that alot of people had to know.

ChristianDudley
08-28-2010, 03:20 PM
I forget how many times Birdman was suspended, but eventually you get a suspension from the NBA for like 2.5 years or something like that until you can be reinstated by the league. I'm not sure how many times you have to mess up to get the boot, though.

cdash
08-28-2010, 03:33 PM
Brandon needs to get a Whizzinator.

Unclebuck
08-28-2010, 03:41 PM
I dont think anyone has a"drug problem" with weed. I think they chose to f'up and not accomplish things

I know plenty of produvtive citizens who smoke, but also are good fathes, pay taxes, etc

The bottom line is Brandon Knew the next time he got caught he would be suspended

so he f'up

dont blame weed, blame Brandon

I'm I the weird one because I know no one who smokes weed, not one person.

SMosley21
08-28-2010, 03:47 PM
I forget how many times Birdman was suspended, but eventually you get a suspension from the NBA for like 2.5 years or something like that until you can be reinstated by the league. I'm not sure how many times you have to mess up to get the boot, though.

Andersen was banned from the league because he had ONE positive test result for "drugs of abuse". Per the anti-drug program, drugs of abuse are harder drugs.

A. Drugs of Abuse

* Amphetamine and its analogs (including, but not limited to, methamphetamine and MDMA)
* Cocaine
* LSD
* Opiates (Heroin, Codeine, Morphine)
* Phencyclidine (PCP)

B. Marijuana and its By-Products

C. Steroids

* Androstenedione
* Bolasterone
* Boldenone
* Clenbuterol
* Clostebol
* Dehydrochlormethyltestosterone
* Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA)
* Dromostanolone
* Ephedra (also called Ma Huang,Bishop’s Tea and Chi Powder)
* Ephedrine
* Ethylestrenol
* Fluoxymesterone
* Furazebol
* Gestrinone
* Mesterolone
* Methandienone
* Methandriol
* Methenolone
* Methylephedrine
* Methyltestosterone
* Mibolerone
* Nandrolone
* Norpseudoephedrine (also called Cathine)
* Oxandrolone
* Oxymesterone
* Oxymetholone
* Phenylpropanolamine (PPA)
* Pseudoephedrine
* Stanozolol
* Testosterone
* Tetrahydrogestrinone (THG)
* Trenbolone