PDA

View Full Version : Fox and CBS release 2010 announcer pairings

Basketball Fan
08-26-2010, 08:49 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Fox-and-CBS-release-2010-announcer-pairings;_ylt=AoZYGBgWHZOJfN2for9UqaJDubYF?urn=nfl-265159

Fox and CBS release 2010 announcer pairings
By Chris Chase

The NFL's two main broadcast partners released their announcer pairings this week and with the exception of Dick Enberg leaving CBS (he's been announcing San Diego Padres games instead) and FOX snatching up the newly out-of-work Jim Mora Jr. and Kurt Warner(notes), there isn't too much change from last year.

There's a 20 percent turnover rate on NFL rosters and somehow we only get seven percent change in the NFL booths? FOX adding two guys to their roster is the equivalent of the St. Louis Rams saying, "no, it's cool, we're going to stick with the guys that led us to a 1-15 record last year." How does Tony Siragusa still have a spot on the No. 2 team? Did a FOX executive lose a bet?

What are you looking at, CBS. You're next. How is Gus Johnson on the same level as Sam Rosen? Does CBS have something against Greg Gumbel because I don't know how else to rationalize sticking him with Dan Dierdrof for the past half-decade. And you know what the difference is between Steve Tasker, Rich Gannon and Steve Beuerlein? Nothing. Nothing at all.

Unclebuck
08-26-2010, 09:13 AM
I don't watch a lot of football, but my favorites are:

Phil Simms
Brian Billick
Dan Fouts

I don't hate Dierdorf as much as many do. Troy Aikman is OK, very smooth, but IMo doesn't really add much.

I do like Jaws and Jon Gruden a lot, in fact I think ESPN has the best announcers as a group.

Cris Collinsworth is good.

Keep in mind I don't watch much football, but I do catch some of the games more by accident, and will watch some Colts games

Trader Joe
08-26-2010, 09:32 AM
UB, Collinsworth is the worst announcer in any sport at any level IMO

grace
08-26-2010, 09:44 AM
After two weeks in the booth with Chris Meyers I predict Kurt Warner will go back to playing football...on the O-line if he has to just to get away from that jerk.

Me personally, I'm sick to death of Jim Nantz and Phil Simms. Gus Johnson has the potential to get on my last nerve. As for the rest of them can't say I like any one group more than the others.

Kegboy
08-26-2010, 10:21 AM
I love Gus Johnson for basketball, and he's fine for football. He's so passionate he really gets me into it, but I certainly can understand people not liking him.

I hope Kurt is better than most former QBs. Actually, it wouldn't take much for him to become Fox's best color guy. Troy puts me to sleep.

Hopefully Mora can be a more cerebral version of his dad.

I celebrate every Colts game that Phil Simms does not call. Considering we have a lot of 4pm games this year, I guess that won't happen much. :kickcan:

Unclebuck
08-26-2010, 11:10 AM
I celebrate every Colts game that Phil Simms does not call. Considering we have a lot of 4pm games this year, I guess that won't happen much. :kickcan:

OK, lets see who do you hate more. JVG or Simms? Those are probably my two favorites right now in each sport, so I guess we don't like the same things. LOL

Sometimes I like Gus Johnson, other times he is just too much. Overall though he is pretty good. Wish he could tone it down about 25% and pick his spots a little better. If Kevin Harlan can do it then Gus can to

Day-V
08-26-2010, 11:13 AM
Gus Johnson should call EVERY game.

makaveli
08-26-2010, 11:26 AM
Love, Love, Love Gus Johnson. He should not only call every game in every sport, I would like him to follow me around and narrate my life.

Don't really understand the hate for Collinsworth. I always thought his broadcasts were smart and insightful. I also can tolerate Dierdorf, although his ability to miss the obvious and over emphasize the inane, never ceases to amaze me. I guess maybe Gumble makes up for that. Simms and Nantz are kid of like watching paint dry, and that's sad because they get some of the best games. Aikman is overrated.

By far the best booth out there is ESPN. I love Jaws ability to break down the game to it's smallest details. I didn't want to like Gruden, but dude is awesome on the mic and Tirico plays a fantastic ringleader/referee.

Unclebuck
08-26-2010, 11:31 AM
Love, Love, Love Gus Johnson. He should not only call every game in every sport, I would like him to follow me around and narrate my life.

Don't really understand the hate for Collinsworth. I always thought his broadcasts were smart and insightful. I also can tolerate Dierdorf, although his ability to miss the obvious and over emphasize the inane, never ceases to amaze me. I guess maybe Gumble makes up for that. Simms and Nantz are kid of like watching paint dry, and that's sad because they get some of the best games. Aikman is overrated.

By far the best booth out there is ESPN. I love Jaws ability to break down the game to it's smallest details. I didn't want to like Gruden, but dude is awesome on the mic and Tirico plays a fantastic ringleader/referee.

If I had to pick just one announcer who would do all sports, play-by-play, studio just 1 guy to do everything. One guy I never get tired of hearing and who does the best maybe not at any one thing, but can do everything very well is Mike Tirico . I think he makes everything he does better, whether it is football, golf, basketball play-by-play (excellent on radio too doing the NBA Finals) whether he is hosting a studio show, or the NFL or NBA draft, I think he is the best in one package. I feel he could do any sport, host any studio show, conduct any interview. Really I guess he is right their with Bob Costas, they are similar, but right now I think Tirico is better and he does a lot more than Bob does.

Trader Joe
08-26-2010, 12:05 PM
I really like Tirico.

makaveli
08-26-2010, 12:48 PM
Buck, I agree about Tirico, but I believe he is light years ahead of Costas on play by play. bob always sounds out of place doing PBP on the NBA telecasts to me. Like it's herky jerky or something. I thing maybe because I always thought Bob's talent was in the studio and that's where I best remember him being in the 90's, so when they moved him it just sounded odd. I have to be honest...nobody calls an NBA game like Marv.

Bball
08-26-2010, 01:22 PM
Jim Nantz should be back in the studio manning the desk. I don't like him as a play by play guy. I don't know why... I don't hate him... he's just too bland or something.

Same goes for him and NCAA basketball...

Bball
08-26-2010, 01:27 PM
And to run counter of the thread... I don't like Tirico's MNF play by play work. He's too laidback for my tastes. Sounds like he should be doing golf. He's another guy that, to me, seems better suited for the desk in the studio than up in the booth. He makes MNF seem more like a regular Sunday game, or even a preseason game, with just a solid guy doing the broadcast. The game just doesn't feel special with him doing it.

Granted, both Nantz and Tirico are smooth so the networks could do worse.

Trader Joe
08-26-2010, 01:56 PM
Monday Night Football isn't special anymore.

Kegboy
08-26-2010, 02:30 PM
so I guess we don't like the same things. LOL

You're just now figuring that out. :-p

As to your question, I see a lot more of Phil (goes to show you how much NBA I watch now days.) But if I had to choose I'd rather watch Simms. Especially if Jeff had Jax with him. :girlfight

Kegboy
08-26-2010, 02:33 PM

I agree with everything said here.

Unclebuck
08-26-2010, 02:46 PM
You're just now figuring that out. :-p

As to your question, I see a lot more of Phil (goes to show you how much NBA I watch now days.) But if I had to choose I'd rather watch Simms. Especially if Jeff had Jax with him. :girlfight

Boo on all accounts, Boo

ChicagoJ
08-26-2010, 05:35 PM
Those are certainly some unattractive combos.

I'll miss Dick Enberg, but I'm sure he likes his new job with much less travel.

The Fox teams are brutal, just like the NFC overall. I don't know which I like less, watching NFC teams play or listening to Fox broadcast NFC games. Either way, :yuck:

As for CBS, I'm not a big fan of Phil Simms or Jim Nantz, but they're better than anything on Fox. I like Greg Gumble and I like Dan Dierdorf, although I worry about Dierdorf suffering from the actual Madden Curse - senility.

Ian Eagle/ Dan Fouts is one of my favorite combos.

I wish Kevin Harlan would get somebody better than Solomon Wilcotts to work with, but that's not bad.

How is Gus Johnson the #5 guy? And why is he stuck with Steve Tasker?

I'm surprised Bill Macatee and Don Criqui are still broadcasting.

Those teams on Fox are really bad. I'm actually relieved that I only have to watch one Fox broadcast this year, and its during Week #1 so I get it over with and then there's the rest of the season...

I like Cris Collinsworth. Might be the only ex-Bengal I like.

Bball
08-27-2010, 02:21 AM
As for CBS, I'm not a big fan of Phil Simms ... I like Greg Gumble

I liked Gumbel and Simms when they were paired together. I saw the combo of Nantz and Simms a downgrade when CBS did that.

I agree about Enberg too...

And Gus Johnson has grown on me. Move him up in the NFL plus let him take over the NCAA Bball Championship/Final 4 from Nantz and pair him with Kellogg. I think those two would really have good (great?) chemistry together.

Once I learned Gus Johnson was up and down in his chair and genuinely into the games, not just some kind of schtick, I began to hear him in a whole new light.

Heck... Let him replace Tirico at MNF....

Bball
08-27-2010, 02:26 AM
Monday Night Football isn't special anymore.

Yeah... But it's still a primetime game with no (NFL) competition. And ESPN isn't exactly some upstart cable network barely available either. So part of why it is not anything special anymore is the booth.

Day-V
08-27-2010, 02:56 AM
So part of why it is not anything special anymore is the booth.

Oh, I disagree. The booth is solid, I think the match-ups are the issue. Since Madden and Michaels migrated over to NBC, NBC is the one with the better match-ups.

It always seems that SNF gets match-ups like Colts-Pats, Cowboys-Eagles, Packers-Vikings, while MNF usually gets stuff like Jets-Dolphins, Raiders-Chargers, and Browns-Ravens.

Kegboy
08-27-2010, 09:21 AM
Yes, MNF gets the old Sunday night ESPN type of games. They didn't have any competition either, and they didn't get good ratings. Of course, half of that was probably Joe Theisman.

pizza guy
09-01-2010, 03:07 PM
I actually like the MNF crew quite a bit. Tirico is one of the best sportscasters out there with his versatility and intelligence. He does an above average job with everything he does. I didn't used to like Jaws when I'd see him on NFL Live or whatever analyst shows he was on, but he's great in the booth. Probably because he doesn't get to monologue as much in the booth. And Gruden is tremendous as a color guy. I don't like him as a coach, but he brings a lot of excitement and perspective from the sidelines as a coach.

I'll probably be the only one to say it, but I still love the Al & John combo and it is a crying shame that Collinsworth has that job now. I cannot stand Collinsworth. He's the worst of them all (except maybe Siragusa). He's just a tool.

The guy I really miss in the booth is Mike Patrick. The guy that used to lead the SNF booth before the networks switched.

All of the CBS guys are adequate, IMO. Not spectacular, but usually not too bad. The Gumbles get on my nerves in general, but there are worse.

FOX is tremendous...ly bad. All of it. Just awful. From the teams they cover and the sideline reports to the retarded robot dancing and the guys in the booths.

--pizza

Bball
09-01-2010, 10:08 PM
I'd be fine with Mike Patrick in the MNF booth.

I remember him having to 'ref' a verbal fight between Dick Vitale and the producer/director during a commercial break during the IU vs Wisconson multiple OT bball game back in the day. I was watching the backhaul and Vitale was livid when they went to a break instead of staying with the game between OT's (they had stayed with the game the previous OT). IIRC he claimed he wasn't livid that they went to the break per se', but that when he questioned it he didn't like the response he got ("I just asked a question and the guy's going f'ing bananas...."). Lot's of "F" bombs and Vitale threatening to walk off.

I just remember Mike Patrick "Shi- guys, we've got a good game...." as he tried to calm things just before returning from commercial. And then to the viewers back home... everything was just fine when the game returned.

Swish
09-01-2010, 11:15 PM
Oh, I disagree. The booth is solid, I think the match-ups are the issue. Since Madden and Michaels migrated over to NBC, NBC is the one with the better match-ups.

It always seems that SNF gets match-ups like Colts-Pats, Cowboys-Eagles, Packers-Vikings, while MNF usually gets stuff like Jets-Dolphins, Raiders-Chargers, and Browns-Ravens.

The contract NBC signed with the NFL commanded that the marque match-ups would be Sunday Night games. SNF gets the best games every week, and gets the flex games at the end of the season. All in the contract.

Kegboy
09-02-2010, 09:25 AM
Mike Patrick was the silver lining of all those horrible Sunday Night games. He does college football with Craig James now.

Swish
09-08-2010, 09:20 PM
Sorry for the bump, but I just found this video and it made me think of this thread:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NLw06bSJjs4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NLw06bSJjs4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>