PDA

View Full Version : Pacers' Executives Actually Use Real GM

RSmits
08-11-2004, 09:44 PM
I couldn't find a link, but this week's Sports Illustrated (college football preview) contains a short article about Real GM. It discusses the difference between the basic package that anyone can access, and a premium version that is available to teams for a $35,000 annual fee. Among other things,the premium package highlights portions of players' contracts that a front office person would need to know when evaluating a potential trade. The most interesting part of the short article was a quote from a Pacers player personnel assistant whose name escapes me. He said that he likes the function that allows him to enter a player's name and see all of the players that can be traded for him, as it helps him "brainstorm." It also quoted an anoymous NBA GM who said that Real GM allows trades that would have never happened otherwise because it allows you to be so creative.

Snickers
08-11-2004, 09:47 PM
Wow, that's pretty cool.

I just hope they don't wander to the forums.... :shudder:

MSA2CF
08-11-2004, 09:50 PM
I hope they do!!!!

And only listen to me! :devil:

ROCislandWarrior
08-11-2004, 09:50 PM
Wow, that's pretty cool.

I just hope they don't wander to the forums.... :shudder:

Come on Snicks...they are the ones who start all the "All-Ugly Team" threads:cool:

Hicks
08-11-2004, 09:52 PM
I'd love to have that advanced version of trade checker. Their asking price is ridiculous though. :shakehead:

Snickers
08-11-2004, 09:54 PM
STOP TALKING ABOUT THE REALGM FORUMS I WAS TRYING TO CONVINCE MYSELF THEY NEVER EXISTED TWLEVE STEP PORGRAM I DONT KNOW WHY I EVEN BROUGHT IT UP AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! :maniac:

Snickers
08-11-2004, 09:55 PM
I'd love to have that advanced version of trade checker. Their asking price is ridiculous though. :shakehead:

All you need to do is become a highly-paid NBA executive. :cool:

indygeezer
08-11-2004, 09:56 PM
lesse if I drop the ESPN Insider...that's 40 bucks ...and then I...

Hicks
08-11-2004, 10:00 PM

All you need to do is become a highly-paid NBA executive. :cool:

Of course! :o

:D

Snickers
08-11-2004, 10:02 PM
I found a nickel on the gym floor today. :neutral:

RSmits
08-11-2004, 10:03 PM

The implication was that they only make that version available to teams, since it has the actual contracts at your fingertips and probably lots of other information provided by teams that is kept confidential.

Eindar
08-12-2004, 04:13 PM

The implication was that they only make that version available to teams, since it has the actual contracts at your fingertips and probably lots of other information provided by teams that is kept confidential.

Not trying to get banned or arrested, but I'm curious as to how tight their security is. I'm not a hacker by any stretch of the imagination, but if they just use a javascript or perl password system, those can be brute forced into compliance, hehe. The other question is, what's the web address for the NBA executive edition? :)

ChicagoJ
08-12-2004, 04:28 PM
That's nonsense. The league-wide salary cap data is in an excel spreadsheet. Although I'd admit that if hadn't seen it a few times on various consulting engagements, I would find that hard to believe, myself.

Now that I think about it, however, those basketball execs are probably so bad with Excel that they can't sort or do a query, so maybe they need the little program. If that's the case, I doubt that even the "advanced" trade checker contains the real contract data that is in the official spreadsheet. There's no way the NBA licenses *that* data to any third party when minority owners do not automatically have the right to view league financials. Its probably all based on the same rumors and innuendos that are in the "free" one.

fwpacerfan
08-12-2004, 05:38 PM
I think I agree with Jay. There has to be another way for execs to get the information, although I would like to think that they do more than put it in Excel and distribute floppies to all of the owners!

I want to know who the Pacer Personnel asst. is that sits at his keyboard all day long coming up with crazy trade ideas (David Whitely? or Hicks' "source"?). Wouldn't Bird, DW and Carlisle have a pretty good handle on what the team needs? I doubt they hired a guy to come to them with hairbrained trade scenarios. If that is the case why don't they just have a minimum wage worker scan the message boards everyday and they would come up with crazy ideas all day long and it wouldn't cost $35,000 a year!

ChicagoJ
08-12-2004, 05:52 PM
If I didn't actually have an old copy of it from a few seasons ago on my laptop, I wouldn't believe it was in excel. In fact, the first time, I think I actually said out loud to the client, "You've got to be kidding me." That "outburst" didn't make my boss very happy. :rolleyes:

Kegboy
08-12-2004, 06:06 PM
Well, got my copy today, so here's a transcription:

WHAT IS...RealGM.com?

Another fantasy sports site? No, but it does help NBA general managers turn trade fantasies into reality. Since salary-cap rules are more arcane than string theory, using pencil and paper to see if a proposed deal is doable can kill an afternoon. RealGM examines the fine print of the players' contract and lets a team know in seconds if a trade flies.
Is this for the armchair G.M.? The bare-bones version at www.realgm.com is free. The deluxe program - which red-flags clauses that cause a player's salary to spike if he's dealt and tells how a trade will affect the salary cap in coming years - is available for $35,000 a year. The Pacers, Spurs, Rockets and Wizards have signed up, and the program helped bring Tracy McGrady to Houston last month.
So execs do less work? Not exactly. Type in a player's name, and the program will spit out guys he could be traded for - so G.M.'s may pursue deals they'd once have never imagined. "Originally it was more of a checking tool," says Pacers VP of player personnel David Morway. "Today I use it to brainstorm trades."

I believe Morway's actual title is VP of Basketball Administration, which entails, you guessed it, stuff like player's contracts.

For those who don't know RealGM's history, it used to post detailed salary information on the web, and it was integrated into it's trade checker. The NBA threatened to sue them for making such info public, so they removed the numbers and created the generic system that we have today, which btw, we all know sucks balls. I actually caught Jim Rome a few years ago *****ing about what the NBA did. Just about the only time I've ever agreed with the blowhard.

Also, I'm pretty pissed we're stupid enough to pay for this. So that's where my season ticket money goes, huh? :rolleyes: :mad:

Kegboy
08-12-2004, 06:15 PM
I want to know who the Pacer Personnel asst. is that sits at his keyboard all day long coming up with crazy trade ideas (David Whitely? or Hicks' "source"?).

Morway has been with the Pacers for quite a while, and was second in the PS&E org chart I saw 3 years ago. I got the impression he was Donnie's right-hand man when it came to the business side of things, while Kahn was Donnie's apprentice on the basketball stuff (since replaced by Bird.)

Anthem
08-13-2004, 12:38 AM
The biggest problem with RealGM (besides the fact that they neutered it by killing the salary info.... stupid NBA!) is that they don't have any kind of contingency in place for time. I mean, I should be able to plot a trade in June that could take place in August. Currently, the trade checker doesn't do this. And it's a trivial amount of work.

fwpacerfan
08-13-2004, 09:40 AM
I want to know who the Pacer Personnel asst. is that sits at his keyboard all day long coming up with crazy trade ideas (David Whitely? or Hicks' "source"?).

Morway has been with the Pacers for quite a while, and was second in the PS&E org chart I saw 3 years ago. I got the impression he was Donnie's right-hand man when it came to the business side of things, while Kahn was Donnie's apprentice on the basketball stuff (since replaced by Bird.)

So Morway is high up in the organization and he uses RealGM to help make personnel decisions? I don't agree that it could be a useful tool but if he uses it to

"...I use it to brainstorm trades." that is scary. Why would the team need a software program to help them fill the needs of the team? Especially if that software program is designed to only evaluate salaries and contracts.

ChicagoJ
08-13-2004, 09:59 AM
Bingo.

He can give DW and Larry a short list of what *might* work within the salary cap and then they use thier brains to do the rest. Clearly, if David didn't use the common-sense filter in his brain, and he gave DW and Larry my infamous "Nine Pacers for Shaq and Luke Walton" proposal, he'd get his butt chewed for wasting thier time.

After all, we decided last week that DW and Larry shouldn't be wasting thier time on trades or trying to make the organization better or big picture stuff like that, they should be babysitting thier prima donna players. :devil:

(Note, I said players. Plural.)