PDA

View Full Version : Dungy says he wouldn't hire Rex Ryan

Basketball Fan
08-16-2010, 12:57 PM
get not wanting kids to see that but really its HBO a "Grown" network anyways.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/16/tony-dungy-disappointed-with-rex-ryans-profanity

Tony Dungy says he wouldn't hire Rex Ryan
Posted by Michael David Smith on August 16, 2010 12:14 PM ET
Jets coach Rex Ryan showed on the first episode of Hard Knocks that he can drop "F" bombs with the best of them. Tony Dungy would like to remind Ryan that just because the show is on HBO, that doesn't mean he needs to talk like Tony Soprano.

Dungy, who in 13 seasons with the Buccaneers and Colts was one of the most mild-mannered head coaches in NFL history, said on The Dan Patrick Show that he thinks Ryan ought to watch his mouth.

"I'm disappointed with all the profanity," Dungy said. "I think Rex can make his points without all that."

Asked if he would hire a coach who talks the way Ryan does, Dungy answered, "I would not. I personally don't want my players to be around that. I don't want to be around that. . . . It's hard for me to be around that, and if I were in charge, no, I wouldn't hire someone like that. Now, I've been around 'F' bombs, so it's not like it's new. I just don't think that has to be part of your every-minute, everyday vocabulary to get your point across."

Dungy thinks NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell would be wise to give Ryan a call and ask him to think about how he's representing the NFL.

"I would hope that he does," Dungy said of the possibility of Goodell getting involved. "I don't know that he will or not but I hope that he does because I just don't think the league needs that. I don't think our young people need to hear that that's what's done to be successful. Because it doesn't have to be that way."

Between Dungy and his own mother, Ryan may have been sufficiently chastened that he'll watch what he says even if he doesn't hear from Goodell. Or at least save his "F" bombs for when the microphones aren't around.

Trader Joe
08-16-2010, 04:48 PM
Why should the guy have to change the way he operates because of some cameras? If the NFL actually chastised him for swearing, shame on the NFL.

Hoop
08-16-2010, 08:56 PM
F Tony Dungy.

I've not heard many coaches over the years that didn't drop a lot of F bombs. Just nouns, verbs and adjectives, who really gives a F.

Stryder
08-16-2010, 09:54 PM
They're called sentence enhancers. :)

When using those words, your tongue begins to tingle. And it's great.

I drop F-bombs everyday while at work performing maintenance on analytical chemistry instrumentation. You'd be surprised at what comes out of a chemist's mouth sometimes, far worse than what you would hear Rex Ryan say.

travmil
08-16-2010, 10:57 PM
If Rex Ryan has the right to act like a blowhard *** on TV why does Dungy not have the right to voice his displeasure about it?

Mr_Smith
08-16-2010, 11:11 PM
F Tony Dungy.

I've not heard many coaches over the years that didn't drop a lot of F bombs. Just nouns, verbs and adjectives, who really gives a F.

F Rex Ryan and anybody like him

Stryder
08-16-2010, 11:29 PM
If Rex Ryan has the right to act like a blowhard *** on TV why does Dungy not have the right to voice his displeasure about it?

I'm not sure anyone (I'm not at least) arguing that he doesn't have the right to voice his opinion on the matter. I think the problem lies in that he is saying the league should step in and say something to Ryan.

Basketball Fan
08-17-2010, 12:06 AM
I'm not sure anyone (I'm not at least) arguing that he doesn't have the right to voice his opinion on the matter. I think the problem lies in that he is saying the league should step in and say something to Ryan.

Yep that to me is the crux of the issue here I mean if Tony doesn't like profanity people can respect that its him saying the NFL needs to step in and do something about it that I find bizarre.

Bball
08-17-2010, 01:05 AM
Tony has his way of coaching and Rex Ryan has his way of coaching... While each has the right to their opinions of the other, and even the right to express it, perhaps Tony should simply acknowledge Ryan's way isn't right for him and move on.

And the NFL should absolutely NOT influence Ryan's style at all, profane as it may be. When he's addressing the media... sure... they can have a talk with him if he doesn't maintain certain standards. But on the sidelines for reality TV? If they don't like what the mics are hearing and the cameras are seeing... get the mics and cameras away from the team.

Since86
08-17-2010, 01:34 PM
Yep that to me is the crux of the issue here I mean if Tony doesn't like profanity people can respect that its him saying the NFL needs to step in and do something about it that I find bizarre.

I don't know about you, but I can't cuss at work. I also have a dress code. The NBA can, and has, told players what they can and can't wear to and from the arenas. They also fine players for foul language.

It's nothing new.

Basketball Fan
08-17-2010, 02:07 PM
I don't know about you, but I can't cuss at work. I also have a dress code. The NBA can, and has, told players what they can and can't wear to and from the arenas. They also fine players for foul language.

It's nothing new.

Except that's not a good comparison. Because I'm sure your work place wouldn't allow people who have tested positive for drugs, been arrested, or charged with any felonies to continue working there either. Yet you still see it.

Rex was cursing a storm on an HBO TV show a show on cable that has adult content chances are the "F" word will be lobbied around. If the NFL didn't want that they wouldn't agree to a "Hard Knocks" show which really is about wanting the "gritty" aspect of a team. And foul language is usually a part of it. "Hard Knocks" would never want a team coached by Dungy because its too vanilla for their tastes.

Tony asking Goodell to step in and say its bad that he uses foul language to me is crossing the line especially since he's doing it on a TV show and not in front of kids or anything and its not even against the rules just against personal sensibilities. Nobody ever told Tony to stop reference God and that could be considered offensive as well after all religion and politics aren't allowed to be discussed in the work place either.

Since86
08-17-2010, 02:25 PM
Except that's not a good comparison. Because I'm sure your work place wouldn't allow people who have tested positive for drugs, been arrested, or charged with any felonies to continue working there either. Yet you still see it.

That's all true, but I wasn't making a point that all work places are the same and should have the same standards. I was saying that it's not uncommon, and actually is a very common practice.

There's a difference in "can" they and "should" they.

Tony asking Goodell to step in and say its bad that he uses foul language to me is crossing the line especially since he's doing it on a TV show and not in front of kids or anything and its not even against the rules just against personal sensibilities. Nobody ever told Tony to stop reference God and that could be considered offensive as well after all religion and politics aren't allowed to be discussed in the work place either.

See this is what is so interesting. We should have tolerance for Rex, but not for Tony.

It's a disagreement. Goodell will either act on Tony's advice or he won't. Tony isn't going "over the line" because, quite frankly, there is no line.

If Goodell thinks that the cursing is hurting the NFL, the Jets, or Ryan's image he will ask (or tell) him to knock it off. If he thinks it is but doesn't think it's a big concern, then he won't. Or if he just doesn't think anything of it, he won't.

Tony has every right to disagree with Ryan's choice of words. He has every right to think it should be restricted. Rex has every right to use those words, until or unless Goodell say's otherwise. Goodell has every right to choose who's right, between Tony and Rex.

I just think it's ironic that you want Tony to curb his thoughts/feelings because you don't agree with him that Rex should curb his thoughts/feelings.

Basketball Fan
08-17-2010, 02:44 PM
See this is what is so interesting. We should have tolerance for Rex, but not for Tony.

It's a disagreement. Goodell will either act on Tony's advice or he won't. Tony isn't going "over the line" because, quite frankly, there is no line.

If Goodell thinks that the cursing is hurting the NFL, the Jets, or Ryan's image he will ask (or tell) him to knock it off. If he thinks it is but doesn't think it's a big concern, then he won't. Or if he just doesn't think anything of it, he won't.

Tony has every right to disagree with Ryan's choice of words. He has every right to think it should be restricted. Rex has every right to use those words, until or unless Goodell say's otherwise. Goodell has every right to choose who's right, between Tony and Rex.

I just think it's ironic that you want Tony to curb his thoughts/feelings because you don't agree with him that Rex should curb his thoughts/feelings.

Uh no I think Tony should actually respect the fact that Rex has his own approach to coaching just like Tony has to his. You don't see Rex telling others what he feels may be inappropriate do you?

Nor is he asking the NFL commish to look into it either. Of course if Rex did he'd have more of a standing to do so than Tony since Rex is still an NFL coach Tony OTOH is not.

Tony's entitled to his opinion on not liking profanity I just don't think he should lobby TPTB of the NFL to step in.

Slick Pinkham
08-17-2010, 03:27 PM
I personally dislike Rex Ryan for being an arrogant lowdmouthed blowhard, but if he had been coaching the Colts for the past decade, then I think that they would have more than one SB ring.

travmil
08-17-2010, 03:39 PM
I personally dislike Rex Ryan for being an arrogant lowdmouthed blowhard, but if he had been coaching the Colts for the past decade, then I think that they would have more than one SB ring.

Wow. Maybe we should wait until Rex wins at least one as a HC before we throw out ridiculous "what ifs" about what he may or may not have accomplished with another team. Here's my ridiculous "what if" scenario. I think that if Rex Ryan had been coaching the Colts instead of Dungy, the Colts would have imploded under his leadership and missed the playoffs 6 times while all of their veteran leaders tuned him out and demanded trades. See? Mine holds just as much water as yours.

RWB
08-17-2010, 04:31 PM
Tony's problem is he believes the coaches and players are role models.

Since86
08-17-2010, 04:34 PM
Tony's problem is he believes the coaches and players are role models.

While I believe they shouldn't be, they most certainly are role models.

Slick Pinkham
08-17-2010, 05:29 PM
It also seems to be a common complaint among Colts that Tony built defenses that (except on one occasion) were nowhere near stout enough to hold up in the playoffs and could not allow a premier offense to carry the day.

Look, I can't stand Ryan and I hope that he flops miserably and the Jets are 0-16. I also grudgingly respect the super-aggressive way that his teams (Ravens before the Jets, when he was their DC) have played defense.

Lord Helmet
08-17-2010, 05:51 PM
F Rex Ryan

PacerDude
08-17-2010, 06:32 PM
Tony's problem is he believes the coaches and players are role models.I'm not sure that's the case. It just happens that Dungy is a very, VERY religious man. Cussing just isn't in his makeup. No reason to berate the guy for it.

Basketball Fan
08-18-2010, 08:43 AM
Buddy Ryan responds

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/17/buddy-ryan-chimes-in-on-tony-dungys-comments

Buddy Ryan chimes in on Tony Dungy's comments
Posted by Mike Florio on August 17, 2010 4:23 PM ET
On Monday, former Bucs and Colts coach Tony Dungy told Dan Patrick that Dungy wouldn't hire a foul-mouthed coach like Jets coach Rex Ryan.

On Tuesday, former Eagles and Cardinals coach Buddy Ryan got involved.

Appearing with John Gonzalez and Vai Sikahema of 97.5 The Fanatic in Philadelphia, the elder Ryan discussed Dungy's criticism of Rex.

As to Dungy's point that he wouldn't hire Rex Ryan, Buddy Ryan said, "I don't think he had applied for a job with what's his name, either."

As to Dungy's statement that he hopes Commissioner Roger Goodell tells Rex to tone it down, Buddy Ryan said, "Well, it's none of Dungy's business."

As to the entire issue, Buddy Ryan said that he "think[s] it's being blown way out of perspective."

Fortunately for the folks at 97.5 The Fanatic, Buddy Ryan used no profanity during the interview.

RWB
08-18-2010, 10:47 AM
I'm not sure that's the case. It just happens that Dungy is a very, VERY religious man. Cussing just isn't in his makeup. No reason to berate the guy for it.

Just having a little fun because actually Tony Dungy does in fact believe players and coaches should be role models. From his lips to my ears that includes all adults as well. I had the opportunity to speak with Tony on several occasions during Colt training camps for maybe 7 years. I personally think the man is fantastic and is legit to the bone in his beliefs and walks the walk so to speak.

I can tell you when he was coach he had stacks of his books lying on the floor of his office sent in by fans and some that were to be given away for charity purposes. He would take out time everyday to sign personal messages to the fans on every book.

Hicks
08-18-2010, 10:56 AM
The guy who sticks up for Michael Vick post dog-gate is going to turn up his nose on Rex for saying the F word? Nice.

RWB
08-18-2010, 11:43 AM
Speaking of Vick and Tony Dungy

http://www.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5450652&source=NFLHeadlines

ATLANTA -- Tony Dungy believes in mentoring and says it puts people on the right path -- including his most famous pupil, Philadelphia quarterback Michael Vick.

On a national tour to promote his new book on mentoring, Dungy told The Associated Press on Monday that Vick still has a lot to learn about his image.

NFC East blog
ESPN.com's Matt Mosley writes about all things NFC East in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

Dungy says even if Vick isn't doing something illegal, he still can make better decisions to stay out of harm's way.

Vick hosted a birthday party that ended with a shooting June 25 in Virginia Beach, Va.

"The first thing people have to realize is that probation officers detail everything, and if he is off track even a little, they're going to come down," Dungy said. "They reviewed the situation that went on and moved forward. The NFL did and moved forward. Michael would like to have all the negative publicity back, but it really wasn't the type of thing that people have blown it into. But that's the lesson for him."

Vick is on probation after serving an 18-month federal prison sentence that ended in May 2009 for dogfighting.

According to police in Virginia Beach, Vick was not present when a person was shot. Vick's attorney, Larry Woodward, identified the victim as Quanis Phillips, a co-defendant in the dogfighting ring.

"Tony Dungy can go somewhere and if something happens, I'm not going to get singled out," Dungy said. "Michael Vick goes some place and the same thing happens, and you're the center of attention. You're the focus. Now is it fair? Who knows?

"But that's the bed you've made and you've got to sleep in it and be prepared for that. That's the lesson he's learned."

Dungy shares life lessons in his new book, The Mentor Leader. It went on sale last week, and Dungy spoke at the national offices of the Boys & Girls Clubs of America in midtown Atlanta. He will also make stops during the promotional tour this week in Central and South Florida.

Dungy writes at length about his work with Vick.

"Whether Michael manages to regain the status he once had in the league is not nearly as important as the kind of man he becomes," Dungy said. That's what I wrote about him in the book."

During Vick's imprisonment in Leavenworth, Kan., Dungy visited with the former Atlanta Falcons star. Since Vick's release in May 2009, Dungy has stayed in contact with him regularly and talks occasionally with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell and Eagles coach Andy Reid to ensure Vick is making good decisions off the field.

"He didn't do anything other than maybe put himself in a place where he shouldn't have been," Dungy said. "But people will look at that one incident and forget about the other 364 days and a lot of the good things that have gone on."

Vick is Philadelphia's No. 2 quarterback behind starter Kevin Kolb. Last week at Eagles training camp, Goodell met with Vick -- who does not face any disciplinary actions from the NFL as a result of the birthday bash shooting.

Dungy coached the Indianapolis Colts to the 2006 Super Bowl title.

Basketball Fan
08-18-2010, 12:43 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/18/rex-ryan-says-dungy-unfairly-judged-me

Rex Ryan says Dungy "unfairly judged me"
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 18, 2010 12:29 PM ET
Tony Dungy and Rex Ryan both get their fair share of attention and criticism when they speak their mind, so perhaps it shouldn't be so surprising that Dungy's comments on Ryan's love of the F-bomb created such an uproar.

Ryan weighed in on the issue Wednesday morning, only after his father, among others, had their say.

Ryan said that Dungy "unfairly judged" him and those on the scene said Ryan was emotional about it and seemingly hurt. "I'm a good person," Ryan said.

He said he a lot of respect for Dungy, and left a message for the former Colts coach inviting him to camp to meet the "real" Ryan. You can argue with Ryan's methods, but it's hard to make the case that he's phony or somehow not "real."

In that respect, Ryan and Dungy have a lot in common

Since86
08-18-2010, 01:06 PM
The guy who sticks up for Michael Vick post dog-gate is going to turn up his nose on Rex for saying the F word? Nice.

Do you REALLY believe it's as cut and dry as that? I would say you don't know nearly enough about Tony if you think it's a mere case of "turning up his nose" at Rex and "sticking up" for Vick.

"Sticking up" for Vick isn't anywhere close to what happened. He in no way defended what he did, or even accepted what he did. He said that he deserves another chance and that Vick needed to change. He tried helping him achieve both.

ChicagoJ
08-18-2010, 01:42 PM
Ryan weighed in on the f'ing issue Wednesday morning, only after his father, among others, opened their f'ing traps.

Ryan said that Dungy "f'ing dissed" him and those on the scene said Ryan was f'ing p.o.'ed about it and seemingly felt like he got f'ed over. "I'm a good motherf'er," Ryan said.

He said he a f'load of respect for Tony F'ing Dungy, since the motherf'er won a f'ing Super Bowl with that f'ing weak-@$$ defense and left a f'ing message for the former Colts coach daring him to come to "Camp F" to meet the "real" Ryan. (His exact words were, "Come to "Camp F" and I'll shut your motherf'ing mouth!) You can argue with Ryan's methods, but it's hard to make the case that he's phony or somehow not "f'ing real."

Fixed.

RWB
08-18-2010, 01:45 PM
Fixed.

Classic......:D

Stryder
08-18-2010, 01:51 PM
Classic......:D

hehe. That was stellar.

woowoo
08-18-2010, 03:33 PM
Tony really needs to chill out... his "holier than thou" act is really growing thin. Everyone is an individual, and Tony has no business telling anyone how to talk or act.

Dam he beginning to really get irritating.

Basketball Fan
08-18-2010, 03:52 PM
Tony really needs to chill out... his "holier than thou" act is really growing thin. Everyone is an individual, and Tony has no business telling anyone how to talk or act.

Dam he beginning to really get irritating.

Beginning? I felt this way the past couple of years I mean I get what Tony is coming from but really asking Goodell to step in?!

How lame.

travmil
08-18-2010, 07:40 PM
You're acting like Dungy made some sort of personal plea to the commish to step in when all he really did was voice his opinion to an interviewer that he hoped he did. There's a big difference there.

Basketball Fan
08-18-2010, 08:15 PM
You're acting like Dungy made some sort of personal plea to the commish to step in when all he really did was voice his opinion to an interviewer that he hoped he did. There's a big difference there.

And you don't think hoping he would isn't the same thing? I mean really for swearing? The NFL has bigger problems with players who get busted for drugs, DUI's etc

Swearing is waaaay down on that list if its even on the list.

Slick Pinkham
08-18-2010, 09:20 PM
Anyone hear Mike Golic tell the Reggie White no swearing story this AM? Hilarious...

http://search.espn.go.com/s/overlay/video?searchString=mike golic&id=5473144&dims=6&start=0

makaveli
08-19-2010, 10:35 AM
Look, I love Tony Dungy and all he has done for the Colts and the community, even though I think a different coach would have won more than one Super Bowl, but he is dangerously close to what I call the "Cosby" zone. Bill Cosby was one of the funniest men on TV in the 80's but he slowly transitioned from comedian to preachy judgmental asswipe in the span of about 5 years. Pretty soon people started tuning ol' Bill out. That's where Tony is heading. I think he's a great TV analyst, but I'm not going to tune in every week if there is a chance he's gonna go judge and jury on someone. Back off Tony....do what you do and keep the rest of it to yourself.

grace
08-19-2010, 11:22 AM
Look, I love Tony Dungy and all he has done for the Colts and the community, even though I think a different coach would have won more than one Super Bowl, but he is dangerously close to what I call the "Cosby" zone. Bill Cosby was one of the funniest men on TV in the 80's but he slowly transitioned from comedian to preachy judgmental asswipe in the span of about 5 years. Pretty soon people started tuning ol' Bill out. That's where Tony is heading. I think he's a great TV analyst, but I'm not going to tune in every week if there is a chance he's gonna go judge and jury on someone. Back off Tony....do what you do and keep the rest of it to yourself.

This all started because in an interview Dan Patrick asked Tony what he thought about Ryan's cursing. Tony gave his opinion. I honestly don't see what the big deal is with what Tony said.

Bball
08-19-2010, 12:38 PM
This all started because in an interview Dan Patrick asked Tony what he thought about Ryan's cursing. Tony gave his opinion. I honestly don't see what the big deal is with what Tony said.

I wouldn't have cared if Tony wouldn't have mentioned the commissioner:

Dungy thinks NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell would be wise to give Ryan a call and ask him to think about how he's representing the NFL.

"I would hope that he does," Dungy said of the possibility of Goodell getting involved. "I don't know that he will or not but I hope that he does because I just don't think the league needs that. I don't think our young people need to hear that that's what's done to be successful. Because it doesn't have to be that way."

Ryan isn't really coaching any differently than a lot of other coaches (as far as the profanity goes). If Tony doesn't want to coach that way or want coaches on his staff that coach that way that is his prerogative. I just don't think he should be suggesting Goodell should be contacting Ryan about it.

Basketball Fan
08-19-2010, 01:51 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/19/rex-ryan-clears-the-air-in-man-to-man-talk-with-tony-dungy

Rex Ryan clears the air in "man-to-man" talk with Tony Dungy
Posted by Michael David Smith on August 19, 2010 1:05 PM ET
Tony Dungy was not happy with the profanity Rex Ryan used on Hard Knocks. Ryan was not happy with Dungy judging him.

Now Dungy and Ryan are happy enough with each other that they spoke on the phone and agreed to get together again in person.

"I did talk to Tony Dungy," Ryan said today. "I wanted him to know how I felt. We talked man-to-man. He told me his position; I definitely told him my position. So it was good."

Ryan said he invited Dungy to see the Jets practice, and that Dungy, who spent 13 years as head coach of the Buccaneers and Colts, accepted the invitation.

"He hasn't set the date yet, but he's excited to come out and see us and things like that," Ryan said. "We're excited to have him."

The only question now is whether Ryan will watch his language on the day Dungy visits.

ChicagoJ
08-19-2010, 04:03 PM
Here we go again.

"I did talk to to that motherf'er," Ryan said today. "I wanted him to know how I felt. We talked man-to-b!tch. He preached at me; I told him to f' off. So it was good."

Ryan said he invited the motherf'er to see the Jets practice, and that Dungy, who spent 13 years as chaplain and coach of the f'ing Buccaneers and goody-two-shoes Colts, accepted the f'ing invitation.

"He hasn't set the date yet, but he's excited to come out and see us and get his @$$ kicked, if he's not too chicken$h!t to show his face," Ryan said. "We're gonna f' with him a bit. Maybe give him a f'ing swirlie, too!"

The only question now is whether some f'headed twit blogger thinks Ryan will watch his f'ing language on the day that S.o.B. visits.

Gamble1
08-19-2010, 04:41 PM
I wouldn't have cared if Tony wouldn't have mentioned the commissioner:

Ryan isn't really coaching any differently than a lot of other coaches (as far as the profanity goes). If Tony doesn't want to coach that way or want coaches on his staff that coach that way that is his prerogative. I just don't think he should be suggesting Goodell should be contacting Ryan about it.
If you haven't listened to the interview then I don't think anyone can formulate an accurate opinion on what was said and how it was said.

Dan Patrick asked his opinion and he gave it. His opinion is that its not good for the league which is fine. ITs not like Dungy can call up Goodell and make him stop cussing on TV.

Dungy gets paid to have opinions now he doesn't get paid to coach anymore. For the last 2 days Dan Patrick has gone on and on about how everyone is overblowing this and I tend to agree.

Gamble1
08-19-2010, 04:49 PM
And you don't think hoping he would isn't the same thing? I mean really for swearing? The NFL has bigger problems with players who get busted for drugs, DUI's etc

Swearing is waaaay down on that list if its even on the list.
Last time I checked owners got fined for flipping the Bird. I agree its way down the list but there is a reason why you have rating systems on TV. A lot of the public don't want to hear some fat coach getting bleeped out every five seconds.

The NFL holds coaches and owners to a higher standard much like other businesses. I don't see a problem with that personally.

Basketball Fan
08-19-2010, 07:31 PM
Last time I checked owners got fined for flipping the Bird. I agree its way down the list but there is a reason why you have rating systems on TV. A lot of the public don't want to hear some fat coach getting bleeped out every five seconds.

The NFL holds coaches and owners to a higher standard much like other businesses. I don't see a problem with that personally.

That's at a public place and its towards fans that at least is understandable this is a cable TV show that features a behind the scenes look of an NFL team there's going to be cursing involved at some point maybe not f-bombs galore.

Not everyone has HBO so I don't get how it affects the general public that much I find the reality TV garbage most people seem to like far more offensive than Rex Ryan cursing.

Gamble1
08-20-2010, 10:16 AM
That's at a public place and its towards fans that at least is understandable this is a cable TV show that features a behind the scenes look of an NFL team there's going to be cursing involved at some point maybe not f-bombs galore.

Not everyone has HBO so I don't get how it affects the general public that much I find the reality TV garbage most people seem to like far more offensive than Rex Ryan cursing.
To me it doesn't matter who has what or if its TV garbage. The NFL is a product that is packaged for "everyone" to enjoy kids and all.

You may not like the "opinion" that bussineses should hold 11.5 mill dollar employees to higher standard but it makes sense to me.

Basketball Fan
08-20-2010, 10:20 AM
To me it doesn't matter who has what or if its TV garbage. The NFL is a product that is packaged for "everyone" to enjoy kids and all.

You may not like the "opinion" that bussineses should hold 11.5 mill dollar employees to higher standard but it makes sense to me.

Except its only Dungy's opinion Goodell hasn't even said anything about looking into it. Why? Its not much of an issue nor should it be its within the lockerroom that happens to be on TV if he did this outside the lockerroom towards the general public well that would be different.

He also knows that people watch Hard Knocks for coaches like Rex Ryan not the Tony Dungy's of the world.

Its entertainment not much else.

Basketball Fan
08-20-2010, 07:04 PM
http://mobile.newsday.com/inf/infomo;jsessionid=AD43F8AFFE8C3A443F1A.2871?site=n ewsday&view=page3&feed:a=newsday_5min&feed:c=sports&feed:i=1.2225613

Dungy RSVPs 'Yes' to Ryan's invitation

Updated: Aug 19, 2010 08:04 PM
By GREG LOGAN
Multiple Page View
CORTLAND, N.Y. - HBO viewers can anticipate more drama coming their way on "Hard Knocks." Jets coach Rex Ryan Thursday announced that former coach Tony Dungy has accepted his invitation for a training-camp visit to discuss his criticism of Ryan's liberal use of profanity and possibly to prevail upon the Jets' coach to listen to his better angels.

After Dungy said in a radio interview Monday that he never would hire someone who cursed as much as Ryan does, the Jets' coach said Dungy "unfairly judged" him. It was obvious that Ryan was pleased that Dungy agreed to visit, though no date has been set.

"I look forward to having him come up and see what we're all about," Ryan said.

Asked about the tenor of their telephone conversation, Ryan couldn't pass up a straight line, saying, "It was definitely heated . . . " Then he broke into a mischievous smile at his joke, knowing how the media can take a flip remark and run with it.

"No, we just talked man to man," Ryan said. "I just wanted him to know how I felt. He told me his position and I definitely told him my position."

Tough love for McKnight

Rookie running back Joe McKnight 's troubles adjusting to the NFL were captured on the second episode of "Hard Knocks." He heard pointed criticism from running backs coach Anthony Lynn and then listened to advice from veteran wideout Santonio Holmes .

"Everybody goes through it," McKnight said of his growing pains. "I've been under a lot of scrutiny at USC. This is nothing different."

Extra points

The Jets released P T.J. Conley and added LB Boris Lee, a 2010 undrafted free agent out of Troy University. Because of injuries, Ryan said Lee might play a significant amount Saturday at Carolina.

pacer4ever
08-20-2010, 07:09 PM

IT IS THE NFL not GIRLS FOOTBALL OF COURSE UR GONNA CUSS AND GET ANGREY IF YOU WANT GET GET THE MOST OUT OF UR FOOTBALL TEAM

Basketball Fan
08-20-2010, 07:36 PM
NBC NFL analyst Tony Dungy operates under double standard, is hypocritical for criticizing Rex Ryan

Bob Raissman

Friday, August 20th 2010, 4:00 AM
Former NFL coach and current NBC analyst Tony Dungy criticizes Rex Ryan's foul language on the HBO show 'Hard Knocks' without watching the first episode.
Conroy/AP
Former NFL coach and current NBC analyst Tony Dungy criticizes Rex Ryan's foul language on the HBO show 'Hard Knocks' without watching the first episode.
Related News

* Rex puts down the whistle, picks up a pen
* Dungy: NFL needs to get Rex to stop cursing
* Ryan says Dungy 'unfairly judged me'
* Rex and Dungy speak 'man-to-man'

It's not surprising the media, especially the segment covering the NFL, did not take strong issue with Tony Dungy for criticizing Rex Ryan's X-rated vocabulary, even when the former coach had not watched one second of "Hard Knocks."

On his radio program Monday, Dan Patrick asked Dungy if he had watched the HBO show. "I have not watched it," Dungy answered. "I've gotten all the reports."

Obviously these "reports" concentrated solely on Ryan's vocal stylings. Still, if Dungy didn't watch the show, he couldn't know the context of Ryan's obscenities. Or whether the Jets coach had a smile or frown on his face when he voiced them.

It really doesn't matter. Long ago, the media constructed a double standard for Dungy, an NBC NFL analyst. That's not his fault. It's just a fact.

If someone else, whether it's a player such as Terrell Owens or a coach such as Ryan, shot his yap off about comments he didn't hear, he would be crucified for being negligent, irresponsible. A fat, blowhard coach who hasn't won a damn thing and an egotistical player make excellent, easy targets, right?

Dungy is a different cat. He has been placed on a pedestal above the rest of the coaching riff-raff, especially by former players turned network gasbags. There appears to be a hands-off policy. On a spiritual level, Dungy elevated himself. A devout Christian, he spreads the gospel. If that's his mission, that's fine.

Unfortunately he often comes off phony, disingenuous. Dungy and the rest of the NFL coaching brotherhood (many who choose not to wear their religion on their sleeve), serve as generals in the cutthroat culture of NFL violence. Please, sir, don't curse, but do go out on the field every Sunday and try to cripple the guy on the other side of the line. It's cool. You're doing this on programming that's G-rated.

Dungy was part of that culture. A culture that also condones cheating on many different levels. Does Dungy actually believe God alone "blessed" those defensive linemen with freakish, super-sized bodies?

Come to think of it, what's worse? Encouraging violence or telling someone to go f--- himself?

Dungy's criticism of Ryan comes wrapped in a blanket of hypocrisy. It's ridiculous, laughable. Still, there ain't many folks snickering, not many calling Dungy out or ridiculing him. Other coaches with a low tolerance for cussing have been hammered. Unfortunately for them, they didn't have Dungy's cachet with the media.

In 2002, when he took over as head football coach at Vanderbilt, Bobby Johnson (since retired) instituted a "no cursing" policy for his players. Any player who swore in practice had to drop and give him 10. The media mocked Johnson - laughed loudly at him, too. His "policy" was widely defined as ridiculous. Mostly, he was not taken seriously.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2010/08/20/2010-08-20_nbc_nfl_analyst_tony_dungy_operates_under_doubl estandard_is_a_hypocrite_for_crit.html#ixzz0xBrRRq uE

makaveli
08-21-2010, 09:04 AM
So now Dungy is gonna show up at Jets practice? This whole thing was for ratings. We've been duped.

Basketball Fan
09-26-2010, 11:07 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=5614382

The Jets confirmed on Saturday afternoon that Ryan and Dungy met, but would give no details other than to say that Dungy will talk about it Sunday night on NBC's pregame show.

Dungy is an analyst for "Football Night in America" on NBC. The network will broadcast the Jets-Dolphins game.

Ryan drew criticism from Dungy for his use of profanity while being filmed for HBO's "Hard Knocks" series. Dungy said at the time that he was "disappointed with all the profanity ... I don't want to be around that. If I were in charge, I wouldn't hire someone like that."

Dungy went so far as to suggest that commissioner Roger Goodell should get involved.

Ryan fired back, saying he was disappointed that Dungy "unfairly judged" him.

"I've been a big admirer of Tony Dungy, and I'm sure a lot of people are, but he unfairly judged me, and that was disappointing to me," Ryan said at the time.

Ryan also called Dungy and left a message with the former Buccaneers and Colts coach, inviting him to spend time with the team. Ryan and Dungy later had a conversation that Ryan characterized as "man to man" in which Dungy accepted an invitation to meet with the team and Ryan.

Suaveness
09-26-2010, 12:47 PM
Frankly, Dungy has a much better grip on his team and keeps them more disciplined than Ryan does.