View Full Version : The Wish Walk Begins

MagicRat
06-30-2010, 11:50 PM
Good luck, Mark!

----------------------------
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/the_wish_walk_100630.html

June 30, 2010 <hr>
The “Wish Walk” with Mark Boyle
Pacers Radio Announcer to Walk 500 Miles to Raise Money for Indiana Children’s Wish Fund

INDIANAPOLIS – Beginning Aug. 17, Indiana Pacers Radio Play-by-Play Announcer Mark Boyle will be walking 500 miles around Indiana to raise money for Indiana Children’s Wish Fund.

“The Wish Walk” will start Aug. 17 in Fort Wayne and conclude in Indianapolis with Boyle making a grand entrance at the Pacers Foundation Golf Outing at Brickyard Crossing on Sept. 21. Major cities that Boyle will visit along the way will be: Muncie, New Castle, Bloomington, Terre Haute and Lafayette. A more detailed timeline of locations will be released at a later date.

A tipoff event will be held Monday, Aug. 16 on Monument Circle at 10:30 a.m. Indiana Children’s Wish Fund families and other special guests will be on hand to send Boyle on his way, as he leaves Indianapolis for Fort Wayne to begin the walk the next day. Fans can follow Boyle’s walk, as well as make donations to benefit Indiana Children’s Wish Fund at TheWishWalk.com (http://www.thewishwalk.com/).

“Over the years, I've tried to use my time off in the summer to try different things, from piranha fishing in the Amazon to spending a summer with a minor league baseball team in Montana,” said Mark Boyle. “With this summer’s project, I’m going to challenge myself physically, raise money for a great cause and appease all the folks I’ve known over my lifetime that have told me to go take a hike. ”

Proceeds from this event will help Indiana Children’s Wish Fund grant wishes to Indiana children, ages 3 -18, who suffer from a life-threatening illness. Indiana Children’s Wish Fund was established in 1984 and has has granted over 2,200 wishes to Indiana children. Over 100 wishes are granted to Hoosier children each year. Wishes include trips to Disney World, meeting celebrities, shopping trips, home computers and much more.

"We are thrilled Mark chose to raise money and awareness for Indiana Children's Wish Fund ," says Terry Ceaser-Hudson, Executive Director of Indiana Children's Wish Fund. "Throughout the years, Mark and the Indiana Pacers have been big supporters of our organization. We appreciate all the hard work and dedication Mark has put into walking the State of Indiana and helping us grant wishes for our precious Wish children."

There are various ways media members can be involved with the walk:

Pre-walk interviews with Mark Boyle or Terry Ceaser-Hudson
Interviews with Mark Boyle while walking
Join Mark Boyle for a any distance as a celebrity walker

Hicks
06-30-2010, 11:52 PM
ďWith this summerís project, Iím going to challenge myself physically, raise money for a great cause and appease all the folks Iíve known over my lifetime that have told me to go take a hike. Ē

:laugh:

indygeezer
07-01-2010, 03:28 AM
Mr. Boyle

I applaud your efforts and would like to pledge $100.00 towards your walk. How do I do so?

(I challenge the members of Pacers Digest to match that. Singularly or in cahoots.)

joew8302
07-01-2010, 03:40 AM
Props to Boyle. I friended him on facebook, and listen to him on the radio. He is one of the most down to earth, humble and genuine members of the media I have come across. A lot of times guys in his position take themselves too serious for me, and Boyle is the complete opposite. Very refreshing.

31andonly
07-01-2010, 04:02 AM
O'Brien should join him for a walk to Kokomo.

vapacersfan
07-01-2010, 04:21 AM
Mr. Boyle

I applaud your efforts and would like to pledge $100.00 towards your walk. How do I do so?

(I challenge the members of Pacers Digest to match that. Singularly or in cahoots.)

https://www.thewishwalk.com/donate.php

O'Brien should join him for a walk to Kokomo.

If he (JOB) stays there I would double, no, tripple what Geezer is pledging.

vapacersfan
07-01-2010, 03:59 PM
Administrators of PD:

I know this is not PD related, but to keep this on the front page any chance we could sticky this for a couple of days?

Los Angeles
07-03-2010, 12:52 PM
Mr. Boyle

Consider it matched.

mboyle1313
07-03-2010, 07:52 PM
All,

Thanks for your support. Once the walk starts (August 17th), I will be updating the web site with a daily blog, photos, and possibly photographs. If any of you would care to walk part of the distance with me, I would love to see you. I don't think we've actually posted the daily schedule, but I do have a tentative list of towns and dates and would be happy to let you know where we'll be if you're interested.

Thanks again. It's a great cause, and I appreciae all your support, whether it's in the form of a donation or not.

Sincerely,
MJB

mboyle1313
07-03-2010, 07:56 PM
All,

Uh...in that last post, I meant to say "possibly video" in the first sentence.

Thanks,
MJB

mboyle1313
07-03-2010, 07:58 PM
All,

I also note that I misspelled "appreciate" in my original post. I hope I can do a better job walking than I can spelling.

MJB

vapacersfan
07-03-2010, 10:49 PM
Mr. Boyle,

You do realize you can "edit" your post and you do not have to admit your mistakes ;)

Los Angeles
07-03-2010, 11:47 PM
Mr. Boyle,

You do realize you can "edit" your post and you do not have to admit your mistakes ;)

Nothing can be undone in radio. Let the man stick to his well established habits. ;)

t1hs0n
07-07-2010, 01:57 AM
Mark,

I would enjoy walking a portion of this with you. As I live in Greenwood, I think part of the leg between Bloomington and Terre Haute would be the best logistically.
I will watch the wish walk site and continue to check this thread for a schedule and route.
Feel free to message me on this site or email me at tihson@gmail.com if you would like to chat directly.

-Chris

mboyle1313
08-15-2010, 02:23 PM
All,

Just wanted to make sure you were all aware of The Wish Walk and tomorrow's rally that will kick things off. If any of you have the time and the inclination, I would enjoy seeing you there. You can also contribute to the cause at our website (thewishwalk.com), and I will be posting photos, video, and writing a blog on the site once we get started.

Thanks,
MJB

http://www.wibc.com/events/wishwalk.aspx

Putnam
08-15-2010, 02:27 PM
Hope you enjoy it all.

I'll try and see you near the end as you pass through Putnam County.

RWB
08-16-2010, 12:45 PM
Hope you enjoy it all.

I'll try and see you near the end as you pass through Putnam County.

Good for you Put, we'll try to do the same in Vigo County as well.

Unclebuck
08-16-2010, 03:30 PM
You have to be happy wityh the cooler weather

MagicRat
08-19-2010, 11:30 PM
http://thewishwalk.com/diary/portland-oregon-portland-maine-ill-take-portland-indiana/

"I’m 20 years older than Jermaine O’Neal, and it turns out that I’m still tougher than he is.":laugh:

I'm enjoying the blog entries and tweets, Mark. Keep up the good work.

Putnam
08-20-2010, 08:49 AM
I’m 20 years older than Jermaine O’Neal, and it turns out that I’m still tougher than he is.

Heh, heh, heh.

(Oh, shoot. I posted that before noticing that MagicRat already had done it. Never mind.)

MagicRat
08-22-2010, 10:43 AM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=20108220331

Article from this morning's Star.

Putnam
08-22-2010, 02:39 PM
I was continuously assaulted by bats and pterodactyls as they rose up out of the weeds and assessed my viability as a possible late afternoon snack.

This is getting interesting!

count55
08-22-2010, 08:13 PM
I was continuously assaulted by bats and pterodactyls as they rose up out of the weeds and assessed my viability as a possible late afternoon snack.

This is getting interesting!

It's obvious he's making this up.

Bats, after all, are nocturnal hunters.

Putnam
08-25-2010, 08:23 AM
Today we're treated to confessions from mark's wilder days:

I attempted to gain a measure of revenge by sneaking into his garden, pilfering a bunch of his prize tomatoes, and then firing them at his front porch from half a block away (I was a catcher in high school, and though I couldn’t hit at all, I did have a magnificent arm). Apparently, I wasn’t the criminal mastermind that I thought I was, because the police showed up at my door

Putnam
09-06-2010, 09:23 PM
Casper?

El Pacero
09-17-2010, 08:54 PM
Just got caught up on Mark's blogs and thought I would bump this post. There are some great stories, including a post about Slick that I liked.

http://thewishwalk.com/blog/

His fives weeks are up next week. I don't know about you, but that flew by for me!

Hicks
09-17-2010, 09:07 PM
It looks like it's been quite an experience. I can't imagine dedicating this much time and distance to walking.

When Mark announced he was doing this, it didn't really occur to me that it would take him this long to do it, though I suppose I should have known.

El Pacero
09-17-2010, 10:00 PM
It sounds like it's four something hours of walking everyday. I would get tired after an hour, especially in the boots. But for five straight weeks with a break on Sunday? Pretty commendable that Mr. Boyle followed through with this. (Or even committed to it in the first place!)

Putnam
09-18-2010, 05:35 PM
I only regret that I couldn't catch up to him this week as he passed by my place. He was supposed to have walked to Raccoon on Monday which brought him to within 1.6 miles of my house, and then on to Crawfordsville on Tuesday. I drove up and down 231 twice and still didn't find him to say hello.

But I agree with El Pacero and Hicks. The daily comments have been well worth reading.

Hicks
09-27-2010, 12:09 AM
A belated congratulations to Mark Boyle for successfully completing his journey!