PDA

View Full Version : I like this quote from Carlisle

ChicagoJ
02-04-2004, 12:13 PM
This is the kind of leadership that makes our team more mature this season, vs. the last few years:

"We said before the season we weren't going to be an excuse team, and we're not. If you get beat, you take your beating and move on to the next game and try to do better."

Booger
02-04-2004, 12:39 PM
IT was always full of excuses. No doubt Carlisle is the man to get this team to the next level.

It's been said that teams often assume the personality of their coach. I don't think there's a more glaring example than the difference between the '03 Pacers vs. the '04 Pacers.

Unclebuck
02-04-2004, 01:32 PM
It's been said that teams often assume the personality of their coach. I don't think there's a more glaring example than the difference between the '03 Pacers vs. the '04 Pacers.

I think it is a fact that teams assume the personality of their coach, without exception they do.

Natston
02-04-2004, 02:18 PM
IT was always full of excuses. No doubt Carlisle is the man to get this team to the next level.

I'm sorry but an altered flight plan is just a tad different than dying family members.

Booger
02-04-2004, 02:24 PM

I'm sorry but an altered flight plan is just a tad different than dying family members.

Aside from all the personal drama last year, I don't think this team was going anywhere under IT last year . . . or this year if he would have stayed. Jermaine's dad, Jamaal's mom, Cro's problems, etc. were undoubtedly part of the demise of the '03 team.

But it was hardly the sole cause.

Natston
02-04-2004, 02:28 PM

Aside from all the personal drama last year, I don't think this team was going anywhere under IT last year . . . or this year if he would have stayed. Jermaine's dad, Jamaal's mom, Cro's problems, etc. were undoubtedly part of the demise of the '03 team.

You were just making the case that IT had too many excuses, Carlisle hasn't had anything close what IT had to deal with.

Booger
02-04-2004, 02:32 PM

You were just making the case that IT had too many excuses, Carlisle hasn't had anything close what IT had to deal with.

Granted. And Isiah did make too many excuses. The "young team" thing seems to ring a bell. :D

Unclebuck
02-04-2004, 02:33 PM
I don't think the excuses that upset us were the family tragedies of late last year.

Isiah started with the excuses from day one and continued for three straight years. Jamaal's mother, J.O's stepfather and Croshere's father-in-law were legitimate, no one is arguing with those.

Natston
02-04-2004, 02:40 PM
But looking at the "excuses" that were used, I can't remember any that weren't to some extent valid.

Booger
02-04-2004, 02:42 PM
All of Thomas' excuses were logical. I just have more respect for a coach who doesn't feel the need to make excuses, even when it might be warranted.

Natston
02-04-2004, 02:44 PM
All of Thomas' excuses were logical. I just have more respect for a coach who doesn't feel the need to make excuses, even when it might be warranted.

But there is a difference between stating a problem/s and using the problems as a crutch. IT was toeing both sides of teh fence on that one.

Booger
02-04-2004, 02:47 PM

But there is a difference between stating a problem/s and using the problems as a crutch. IT was toeing both sides of teh fence on that one.

No argument from me there.

Unclebuck
02-04-2004, 02:48 PM
How about the one where he blamed Don Nelson last season. if don't remember this, after the pacers played the Mavs in mid December, Nellie said the Pacers were a dirty team, bad boys....later in the season Isiah used that as an excuse for why the pacers were geting so many T's and flagrants.

isiah was always very quick to give Artest excuses for his behavior

isiah was always saying the pacers were a young team, something Carlisle must have picked up on, because from Rick's first press conference he has refered to the pacers as a veteran team.

I could go on if you want me to

ChicagoJ
02-04-2004, 03:18 PM
I'll go on...

Isiah was an excuse-maker from day #1.

He was making excuses about not winning a championship the first season when Rik officially announced his retirement and Jackson bolted for Toronto. He also had excuses for the failure of the CBA, and why he was chased out of Detroit and Toronto.

He has a fairly legit excuse for why IU didn't win the 1983 national championship in what would have been his and Landon Turner's senior year (something about him turning pro two years earlier and Landon's auto accident that left him paralyzed.)

"We're a young team." "We need some dogs." "Don Nelson called us beasts." "Zan Tabak is my starting center." "Al Harrington blew out his knee." "Jason Kidd was just too good."

Rick has been the exact opposite of that.

He could have said, "Our MVP candidate and our other all-star are both playing banged up." "Reggie plays better in the Garden when Spike Lee is courtside" "Our charter flight was a mess." or "Who knew Penny Hardaway could still shoot?" but he didn't. He said, "We said before the season we weren't going to be an excuse team, and we're not. If you get beat, you take your beating and move on to the next game and try to do better."

Arcadian
02-04-2004, 03:27 PM
Even beyond the excuses IT seemed to me to have a higher need than most coaches to let others know how well he was doing. It always seemed that IT liked to say look how much I have done with this roster. I guess none of the players took offense by that but I think they should have.

I thought IT always took a lot of credit for things that went well and found several external reasons for the things that went wrong. Conversely how much credit has Rick taken for what the team has done.

Natston
02-04-2004, 03:28 PM
I'll go on...

Isiah was an excuse-maker from day #1.

He was making excuses about not winning a championship the first season when Rik officially announced his retirement and Jackson bolted for Toronto. He also had excuses for the failure of the CBA, and why he was chased out of Detroit and Toronto.

He has a fairly legit excuse for why IU didn't win the 1983 national championship in what would have been his and Landon Turner's senior year (something about him turning pro two years earlier and Landon's auto accident that left him paralyzed.)

"We're a young team." "We need some dogs." "Don Nelson called us beasts." "Zan Tabak is my starting center." "Al Harrington blew out his knee." "Jason Kidd was just too good."

Rick has been the exact opposite of that.

He could have said, "Our MVP candidate and our other all-star are both playing banged up." "Reggie plays better in the Garden when Spike Lee is courtside" "Our charter flight was a mess." or "Who knew Penny Hardaway could still shoot?" but he didn't. He said, "We said before the season we weren't going to be an excuse team, and we're not. If you get beat, you take your beating and move on to the next game and try to do better."

All true, but you are comparing Carlisle's ONE loss to IT's 3+ seasons...

ChicagoJ
02-04-2004, 03:38 PM
All true, but you are comparing Carlisle's ONE loss to IT's 3+ seasons...

I don't understand your point.

Rick could have made excuses about last night's game or any game we've lost this season. He chooses not to. Isiah always made excuses.

I think the timing of Carlisle's reminder of the "no excuses" policy is great - we just lost a game to the team assembled by "Mr. Excuse Maker" himself under circumstances in which we could have pointed to a lot of excuses (that I mentioned above.) Instead, he said, "We said before the season we weren't going to be an excuse team, and we're not. If you get beat, you take your beating and move on to the next game and try to do better."

I doubt that I've really addressed your point; and I don't want to make any excuses about that. If you re-state it, I'll try to do better.