PDA

View Full Version : My rant about the cost of the NFL

Brian
08-07-2010, 02:55 AM
Let me start by saying that this is going to be a quick therapy session for me (just to vent about the prices).

No it isnt about ticket prices, but the price of NFL sunday ticket. (Mind you I am a colts fan, but I live in washington state, so I have to look at that god awful seahawks green every nfl season)

I (like everyone else) am very excited about the upcoming season, but it started about not too good. I checked my cell phone (sprint) to see that my nfl mobile app was gone..after a quick search on google I learn that verizon outbid sprint for exclusive nfl rights-Strike 1

Then I call directv to get a price on sunday ticket, $350 for the season. I then say "Well maybe, because I can watch the games on my phone"..To which they say "Absolutely you can" (he then went into all of the awesome stuff comes with ordering sunday ticket)..Then at the end he says "And yes for an additional $50 a month you can watch games on your phone". I ask "Wasnt it free last year?!?" He says "Yes, but due to the overwhelming stress on our server..blah,blah".-Strike 2

So I go to NFL.com to look into streaming game options...$30 for the season (which isnt bad...but for just audio..no way)-Strike 3

So moral of the story...I had better get used to nbc/cbs/espn nfl games, and hope that they show pleanty of the colts out here.

Lord Helmet
08-07-2010, 03:12 AM
I never take for granted that fact that I get to see every Colts game, I never even have to worry about Fox games either, because Comcast added Fox59, Indianapolis' Fox affiliate last fall.

So I'm guaranteed to see every game, and if for some instance it's an NFL Network game, I'm pretty sure we're getting it turned back on this fall for football season.

Doesn't NFL.com stream actual games or is it only audio?

I know the NBA has audio and video League Pass that you can buy.

Brian
08-07-2010, 10:47 AM
I never take for granted that fact that I get to see every Colts game, I never even have to worry about Fox games either, because Comcast added Fox59, Indianapolis' Fox affiliate last fall.

So I'm guaranteed to see every game, and if for some instance it's an NFL Network game, I'm pretty sure we're getting it turned back on this fall for football season.

Doesn't NFL.com stream actual games or is it only audio?

I know the NBA has audio and video League Pass that you can buy.

NFL.com does stream games, if you are in another country. It would be alot cheaper than buying sunday ticket from directv, but its a no go for us in the states.

PacerDude
08-07-2010, 11:16 AM
Enjoy the 'free' braodcasts while you can. Soon enough, all the games will be Pay-per-View.

It's coming. It'll start with the Super Bowl, then playoffs, the eventually regular season. You heard it here.

Brian
08-07-2010, 01:07 PM
Enjoy the 'free' braodcasts while you can. Soon enough, all the games will be Pay-per-View.

It's coming. It'll start with the Super Bowl, then playoffs, the eventually regular season. You heard it here.

I'd have to say I agree. I wouldnt believe if I hadnt of done hours of research on everything. Heck, the NFL even tried to blackball espn of getting game rights.

Sprint said they didnt continue their contract with the NFL because their asking price was insane. Which is kinda funny because a guy with directv told me that directv had to fork over "a large amount of money" to get sunday ticket rights.

And a close friend of mine who works with directv told me that they do make a "very tiny profit" from having exclusive rights, but 95% of everything goes to the nfl.

idioteque
08-07-2010, 02:21 PM

Maybe someday, but I don't see it in the near future. Advertisers would go nuts and wouldn't want to pay as much for their ads if they know its not going to reach as broad as an audience.

The NFL is in its heyday now, but if history is worth anything, it will decline and another sport will assume prominence again.

thewholefnshow31
08-09-2010, 10:43 AM
I (like everyone else) am very excited about the upcoming season, but it started about not too good. I checked my cell phone (sprint) to see that my nfl mobile app was gone..after a quick search on google I learn that verizon outbid sprint for exclusive nfl rights-Strike 1

Got to love the exclusive rights that the NFL has been doing. NFL ruined the competition we had in the videogame world with Madden and 2K. Madden 2005 and NFL 2K5 were both amazing, but then EA won the bid and the quality of Madden plummeted. They did not get back the 2005 level until Madden 2010.

I really think the NFL is about to kill their golden goose with this lockout. Yes, there are changes needed like a rookie salary scale, but these are things that should not cause a lockout.

I cannot imagine being a fan of the Colts and not living here in Indy. Dropping 300+ and it will only go up as the NFL grows is hard to say yes to when you are only watching 16 games. That is one decision I dread when my wife and I move in a few years.

Day-V
08-09-2010, 01:36 PM
Got to love the exclusive rights that the NFL has been doing. NFL ruined the competition we had in the videogame world with Madden and 2K. Madden 2005 and NFL 2K5 were both amazing, but then EA won the bid and the quality of Madden plummeted. They did not get back the 2005 level until Madden 2010.

NFL 2K5 is still better than any Madden game to come out since then, IMHO.

CooperManning
08-10-2010, 03:36 AM
I live in Chicago, so I have to put in some effort to watch Colts game. I go to various bars that have Sunday Ticket (there are a couple in Wrigleyville that cater specifically to Colts fans) when the games aren't on TV. Luckily there are usually 4-5 national games and 3-4 on regular TV during the season. I use this site: http://the506.com/sports/ to check NFL coverage maps to see if the Colts will be on in Chicago the next week. It updates every Tuesday or Wednesday during the season. Also, I know on Comcast for an extra $12/month or so you can get a package of channels that includes NFL Red Zone. Good combo is to watch Red Zone/listen to the games on internet radio. You'll always know what's going on and still get to see key plays/drives.

Of course the best option is to have a good friend with Sunday ticket and intrude on them every Sunday.