PDA

View Full Version : Dez Bryant out 4-6 weeks with ankle sprain

Basketball Fan
07-30-2010, 08:14 PM
http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/07/cowboys-dez-bryant-out-4-6-wee.html

Cowboys: Dez Bryant out 4-6 weeks with high right ankle sprain
Posted at 6:38 PM on Fri., Jul. 30, 2010 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Todd Archer / Reporter Bio | E-mail | News tips

The Cowboys have confirmed that Dez Bryant has suffered a high right ankle sprain and will miss 4-6 weeks.

NS_30COWSDEZANKLE_15229429.JPG

A player is generally placed into a protective boot to help reduce the swelling. A high ankle sprain involved the ligaments above the ankle that hold the tibia and fibula together.

If Bryant misses four weeks he could return for the Sept. 2 preseason finale vs. Miami. If the injury drags out to six weeks he could miss the regular-season opener Sept. 12 at Washington.

Last year, safety Ken Hamlin suffered a high right ankle sprain and missed four games. In general a player could miss 2-6 weeks with the injury depending on the severity.

Bryant was in obvious pain after he got tangled up with Orlando Scandrick. He attempted to walk off by himself but needed to be helped by athletic trainers Jim Maurer and Britt Brown.

At the rookie mini-camp after the draft, Bryant suffered a minor ankle injury that kept him out of running post-practice sprints. He also missed part of the organized team activities with a strained hamstring.

Lord Helmet
07-30-2010, 09:40 PM
If he wasn't such a douchebag, maybe this wouldn't have happened.

Basketball Fan
07-31-2010, 01:20 AM
If he wasn't such a douchebag, maybe this wouldn't have happened.

I don't quite get what makes him a douchebag but I fail to see how not carrying Roy Williams' pads caused his injury

Lord Helmet
07-31-2010, 02:58 AM
I think he's a douche because he didn't want to go along with the "slight" rookie hazing. All rooks go through some of it.

Day-V
07-31-2010, 04:41 AM
Wow, what a medical breakthrough we've just discovered. Forget taping up, if you fear you're going to sprain your ankle, then just don't act like an (alleged) douchebag.

I'm calling Eli Lilly and getting this stuff patented.

Lord Helmet
07-31-2010, 06:58 AM
I was kind of saying, "karma" for acting like a dick by refusing to go along with the minor hazing he got.

I was half-serious guys, damn. :laugh:

xBulletproof
07-31-2010, 08:20 AM
I'm on the other end of it. I'm glad he didn't go along with the hazing.

It's about time someone stood up to that stupidity. I'm a damn grown man. I'll be damned if I'm going to act like someone else slave just because I'm new on the job. If I got hired at a law firm and a lawyer told me I had to carry all his work related material and suitcase into the courtroom because I'm the new guy, Id tell him to STFU too.

It's just silly.

Sollozzo
07-31-2010, 11:59 AM
I'm on the other end of it. I'm glad he didn't go along with the hazing.

It's about time someone stood up to that stupidity. I'm a damn grown man. I'll be damned if I'm going to act like someone else slave just because I'm new on the job. If I got hired at a law firm and a lawyer told me I had to carry all his work related material and suitcase into the courtroom because I'm the new guy, Id tell him to STFU too.

It's just silly.

You think hazing doesn't go on in the real world? I know rookie fire fighters get a decent amount of grief. And I would bet money that there are some pranks pulled in offices as well.

Dez Bryant should have just shut up and played the game like everyone else instead of trying to act like like some tough guy. He made something out of nothing and that was stupid. Is carrying someone's pads that big a deal? No. But when you refuse to do it and it gets on ESPN then you've created a story when there was no need for one.

idioteque
07-31-2010, 12:30 PM
You think hazing doesn't go on in the real world? I know rookie fire fighters get a decent amount of grief. And I would bet money that there are some pranks pulled in offices as well.

Dez Bryant should have just shut up and played the game like everyone else instead of trying to act like like some tough guy. He made something out of nothing and that was stupid. Is carrying someone's pads that big a deal? No. But when you refuse to do it and it gets on ESPN then you've created a story when there was no need for one.

Just be glad that we've got Paul George and not Dez Bryant (assuming you've seen the video of Hibbert "hazing" PG.

xBulletproof
07-31-2010, 12:36 PM

Dez Bryant should have just shut up and played the game like everyone else instead of trying to act like like some tough guy. He made something out of nothing and that was stupid. Is carrying someone's pads that big a deal? No.

I don't care who gets hazed, it's dumb. Secondly, practical jokes/pranks aren't hazing to me. Pranks get pulled on everyone. Hazing happens to "the new guy". Also, that's a 2 way street you're trying to play there. How about Roy Williams carries his own damn pads if it's not a big deal, no?

It's one thing to Saran Wrap someones car, or rig their locker so if they open it something flies at them to scare them. Pranks, fine. It's quite another to demand I carry something that's your responsibility like I'm some squire boy who wipes off your blade or something after battle. That's demeaning and I'd tell him to shove his pads *somewhere* to transport them, before I'ill be carrying them.

I'm nobody's b***h, slave or punk. I don't care what job I'm at, or how new I am. Either way, it's news because the media focuses on the dumbest things, not because Dez wouldn't carry his pads. Why do you think TMZ exists? It's certainly not because of the high standard of reporting. It's because things that aren't even newsworthy, are now considered news. Just like this.

dohman
07-31-2010, 03:31 PM
Why should he be carrying the shoulder pads of the one of the most under performing over paid players in the NFL.. I wouldn't want his awfulness to rub out on me

Day-V
07-31-2010, 04:05 PM
He made something out of nothing and that was stupid.

Isn't it the media that made something out of nothing? Dez didn't go bezerk about it, he just said "Nah, not doing it. That's not my job." The media is the one that took it and ran.

The whole "I did it, so they should have to do it." argument is total bullsh*t.

Mr_Smith
08-01-2010, 08:24 AM
He shoulda carried Roy Williams shoulder pads

Sollozzo
08-01-2010, 01:11 PM
Isn't it the media that made something out of nothing? Dez didn't go bezerk about it, he just said "Nah, not doing it. That's not my job." The media is the one that took it and ran.

The whole "I did it, so they should have to do it." argument is total bullsh*t.

And everyone knows that the media will take something like this and run with it. That's why the smart thing to do is to just shut up and go along with it. Carrying someone's shoulder pads might be a silly tradition, but is it THAT big of a deal? No way. But when you refuse to do something like Bryant did then it's inevitably going to become a story and therefore causes an unnecessary distraction.

Day-V
08-01-2010, 03:00 PM
And everyone knows that the media will take something like this and run with it. That's why the smart thing to do is to just shut up and go along with it. Carrying someone's shoulder pads might be a silly tradition, but is it THAT big of a deal? No way. But when you refuse to do something like Bryant did then it's inevitably going to become a story and therefore causes an unnecessary distraction.

Just because the media and some angry dudes on message boards grab a story and make their snarky little comments, he shouldn't do it? If it really isn't "THAT" big of a deal, then he shouldn't have to stoop down to a level that of an 8-year-old kid.

The dude handled it right. He didn't go crazy and get emotional in interviews, he just simply stated how he wasn't going to be some overrated joke's b*tch. I find nothing wrong with that, tradition be damned.

Basketball Fan
08-13-2010, 10:25 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/news/story?id=5460736

Cowboys' Dez Bryant sizes up WRsEmail Print Comments20 By Tim MacMahon
ESPNDallas.com

Dallas Cowboys
Oakland Raiders
ARLINGTON, Texas -- Dallas Cowboys rookie Dez Bryant didn't want to carry shoulder pads, but he happily delivered shoes to his fellow wide receivers.

More on the Cowboys
Calvin Watkins and Tim MacMahon have the Cowboys blanketed for ESPNDallas.com. Check in with their constantly updated coverage. Blog

Bryant bought the Cowboys' receiving corps pairs of Air Jordan Olympic 7s.

It was a goodwill gesture from the first-round pick, whose refusal to carry Roy Williams' shoulder pads at the beginning of training camp morphed into a media firestorm. A day later, hours after Wade Phillips discussed the issue in a team meeting, Williams declared it no big deal but hinted that he'd run up a big bill when the rookie bought the receivers dinner.

Williams grinned Thursday night when asked about the shoes Bryant bought, saying he didn't get the right size.

"It's OK," Williams said lightheartedly. "My 15 didn't get in. I got a little bit more hungry, a little bit more thirsty."

After impressing coaches throughout summer practices and the beginning of training camp, Bryant suffered a high ankle sprain on the second-to-last play of a practice at the Alamodome in San Antonio on July 31. He could miss the entire preseason.