PDA

View Full Version : Something to chew on.

Hicks
08-09-2004, 08:40 PM
Peja's not quite the chronic playoff flop most thought.

2002-03 season:

Regular season PPG: 19.2ppg
Playoffs PPG: 23.1ppg

Last year may have been the fluke due to their lack of chemistry after Webber's return. He upped his ppg by 4 points for the playoffs that year. I don't think he's a chronic playoff flounder.

Lord Helmet
08-09-2004, 08:45 PM
Well that was 2 years ago and yes it is good to know he can play in the playoffs.Great find Hicks!;)

SoupIsGood
08-09-2004, 08:52 PM
Nice, I like it.

were his %'s still good, or did he just shoot a lot.

unstandable
08-09-2004, 08:52 PM
FG% regular season -> playoffs

98-99: 37.8 -> 34.6
99-00: 44.8 -> 40.0
00-01: 47.0 -> 40.6
01-02: 48.4 -> 37.6
02-03: 48.1 -> 48.0
03-04: 48.0 -> 38.4

02-03 is the year that looks like a fluke.

http://www.basketballreference.com/players/playerpage.htm?ilkid=STOJAPR01

naptown
08-09-2004, 08:54 PM
Sacto was the best team in the NBA until CWebbs return. He pressed too hard to perform when all he needed to do was try and fit in to what was going on.

Too many people underestimate how important chemistry is. That is why I always thought it was great of Reggie to take a back seat when the Pacers were on that winning streak and he did not want to come back from the injury and screw things up.

Sollozzo
08-09-2004, 08:56 PM
This can say two things.

1) That last year was a fluke, that chemistry messed his game up, and that he does not choke in the playoffs.

2) That he is weak in the playoffs when a good defensive team like Minnesota is able to shut him down. Keep in mind, in 2003, his playoff statistics were against the Jazz and weak defensive Mavericks. And after Webber went down in game 2, he was the main option. Of course, he played the Mavs this year in the playoffs, and didnt play great, so that can further prove your point that Webber coming back messed the chemistry up.

Was Peja injured in the 2002 playoffs? The stats I am looking at have him just playing in 10 games that postseason(the Kings played 7 alone against the Lakers).....he averaged just 14.8 points that year. He had to have missed some games.

ROCislandWarrior
08-09-2004, 08:57 PM
FG% regular season -> playoffs

98-99: 37.8 -> 34.6
99-00: 44.8 -> 40.0
00-01: 47.0 -> 40.6
01-02: 48.4 -> 37.6
02-03: 48.1 -> 48.0
03-04: 48.0 -> 38.4

02-03 is the year that looks like a fluke.

http://www.basketballreference.com/players/playerpage.htm?ilkid=STOJAPR01

His 3pt% also takes a big hit come playoff time:cry:
He had one good year...all the others his numbers dropped.:cry:

Last year could have been a chem. issue with Webber...I know it started before the playoffs even began. But still, one good year:(.

SoupIsGood
08-09-2004, 09:01 PM
The Kings were also damned good on D that one year he was good in the playoffs. I can't speak for the years before that, but maybe when Peja has to focus more on D, and play playoff style D intensity every night, he's not as bad in the playoffs. Lets hope.

ROCislandWarrior
08-09-2004, 09:04 PM
This can say two things.

1) That last year was a fluke, that chemistry messed his game up, and that he does not choke in the playoffs.

2) That he is weak in the playoffs when a good defensive team like Minnesota is able to shut him down. Keep in mind, in 2003, his playoff statistics were against the Jazz and weak defensive Mavericks. And after Webber went down in game 2, he was the main option. Of course, he played the Mavs this year in the playoffs, and didnt play great, so that can further prove your point that Webber coming back messed the chemistry up.

Was Peja injured in the 2002 playoffs? The stats I am looking at have him just playing in 10 games that postseason(the Kings played 7 alone against the Lakers).....he averaged just 14.8 points that year. He had to have missed some games.

I forgot about that. The year webber was out was the year Peja tore it up.

I remember watching a game where he had like 41 points. :o

Maybe this is the truth and Peja is not a little baby. Peja had a great playoffs and was a MVP candidate...then Webber came back and just look at what happened.

But why would having webber on the floor drop his Fg and 3pt%?

Wouldn't it work the other way around.

When Webber was out he shot 48 fg% and 46 3pt%:o

With him Peja shoots about 38% and 30 3pt%:cry:

?

Hicks
08-09-2004, 09:09 PM
Well, the reason I say last year (04) might be the fluke is that he's been growing as a player. To me he kind of became more of the player he is starting in 02, when he was hurt during most of the WCF. Then he had a better year, and a good playoff showing. Then just this year. Where we know the chemistry was bad w/ Webber. So he may have finally "arrived" in 03, but this year was a setback. He's not old, guys.

Hicks
08-09-2004, 09:13 PM
I just checked; in 2002-03 playoffs, his 3P% went from .382 in the regular season to .457 :o in the playoffs. So his FG% didn't do well, but his 3P% was terrific.

Hicks
08-09-2004, 09:16 PM
So 02-03 is the stand-out year, but since he followed that with his best regular season ever, and only did bad when Webber was around, for now I have reason to believe this was the way Peja was headed, and then things just got ****** last spring.

Lord Helmet
08-09-2004, 09:18 PM
Well Peja is good and doesn't always choke like a lot of people say but I just don't like the Ron for Peja deal.We need D to win and beat Detroit.Don't get me wrong though I love Peja but just not on our team.

Snickers
08-09-2004, 09:26 PM
Well, we did trade Al Harrington, who's not known for big playoff performances, for Stephen Jackson, who is. That helps make any potential Peja choking a little easier to bear.

ROCislandWarrior
08-09-2004, 09:36 PM
Well Peja is good and doesn't always choke like a lot of people say but I just don't like the Ron for Peja deal.We need D to win and beat Detroit.Don't get me wrong though I love Peja but just not on our team.

I will never understand the "We need D to beat detroit" argument

1. Do you honestly believe the Pacers can assemble a team that will be better defensively then the Pistons?

We need a good (not great) defense and a potent offense with shooters/slashers/post play and ball movement.

2. Ron-Ron can not guard Rip. If anyone can it is going to be Fred or Sjax. Ron's defensive strenght is focused on Prince...Peja could contain Prince.

we are not going to Out-defense the Pistons.

SoupIsGood
08-09-2004, 09:48 PM
Well, we did trade Al Harrington, who's not known for big playoff performances, for Stephen Jackson, who is. That helps make any potential Peja choking a little easier to bear.

That's a very good point Snickers.

Hadn't thought of that.

Merz
08-09-2004, 09:52 PM
Well, the reason I say last year (04) might be the fluke is that he's been growing as a player.

Ron at the young age of 24 still can grow as a player as well and IMO he is already has more value than Peja.

And Artest in his playoff games besides those against the Pistons his numbers were not to bad (so maybe the Pistons series was a fluke, or more realistically the Pistons D, noone played to well on offense except occasionally JO)

20 games
18.1 ppg
.415 fg%
.392 3fg%
5.7 rpg
3.2 apg
1.85 spg
0.95 bpg

takeaway the Pistons and Artest is not a playoff flop. I could see that Artest was trying to hard just as anyone could, but he still was getting 40 minutes a game that series so maybe Carlisle wanted him to be that agressive, it had worked aginst other teams. Piston fans have been telling us Carlisle has problems making adjustments. We all saw that he made some adjustments but maybe that was an adjustment he did not want to make. I want the ball fed to JO just as much as anyone but it was not just Artest failing to get the ball to him the team failed many times a whole to take advantage when JO was feeling it.
Artest will improve on what he already has which is a lot, which is a 24 year old all-star and defensive player of the year which is to much to give away this early in his career

Hicks
08-09-2004, 09:58 PM
I wasn't saying Ron can't improve. I'm just talking about Peja. I think Ron's gone whether this Peja thing pans out or not, so I'm focusing on who we might have, not who's gonna get the boot sooner or later.

Sollozzo
08-09-2004, 10:41 PM
Hicks good point.

Management has just had it with Ron, I think. They have just been waiting for the move they think is right.

I think Peja is about the best player we could get.

Lord Helmet
08-09-2004, 10:45 PM
PLEASE do not trade Ron for Peja.Where is everyone getting this management is done putting up with Ronnie?Did I miss something or forget something that has happened with Ronnie and management in the past?(Besides Ronnie's temper year in 02-03)

Hicks
08-09-2004, 10:49 PM
It's not public knowledge. I'm lucky enough to hear things from the inside, and they are fed up with him.

Lord Helmet
08-09-2004, 10:54 PM
It's not public knowledge. I'm lucky enough to hear things from the inside, and they are fed up with him.
What are your sources Hicks?This little bunny thing? :bunny: ;)

SoupIsGood
08-09-2004, 10:58 PM
Hicks... any inside info concerning a deal with the grizz

I would much rather prefer a posey/swift deal than peja. Or even a 3-way like that bringing Memphis that big man they alwayss are looking for. If swift can bulk up a bit, i think he could be a good center for us. A rotation of posey/Jackson/bender at SF aint bad either.

I think we could get by trading ron for a center, we need a center more than a replacemnt for ron. Jackson can man the three, he did all last year for Atlanta.

BTW, what the hell is that Bunny thing carrying. Lol I feel stupid, I dont get it.

Lord Helmet
08-09-2004, 11:02 PM
Hicks... any inside info concerning a deal with the grizz

I would much rather prefer a posey/swift deal than peja. Or even a 3-way like that bringing Memphis that big man they alwayss are looking for. If swift can bulk up a bit, i think he could be a good center for us. A rotation of posey/Jackson/bender at SF aint bad either.

I think we could get by trading ron for a center, we need a center more than a replacemnt for ron. Jackson can man the three, he did all last year for Atlanta.
I think I would rather do the Peja deal.I dunno I just don't want to trade Ronnie.Yea trading Ron for a C is a thought.But for real Hicks where do you get your "inside info".

MSA2CF
08-09-2004, 11:03 PM
My only inside source keeps telling me,"Concentrate and Ask Again." :shrug:

Lord Helmet
08-09-2004, 11:04 PM
BTW, what the hell is that Bunny thing carrying. Lol I feel stupid, I dont get it.

I have no clue.:laugh:

Hoop
08-09-2004, 11:31 PM

I have no clue.:laugh:

It's a pancake. Why I'm not sure why, but there use to be a bunch of pictures of a real bunny with a pancakes and various other objects on his head floating around the internet that were popular.

http://www.cyberiapc.com/gallery/albums/userpics/bunny.jpg

Anthem
08-09-2004, 11:31 PM
Yeah, Peja's a great player, no question.

To get him. I'd give Sacto any Pacer not named Jermaine O'Neal or Ron Artest.

Mourning
08-10-2004, 01:52 PM
Ibidem!

ABADays
08-10-2004, 02:28 PM
I don't chew - it's bad for you.

MSA2CF
08-10-2004, 02:49 PM
Yeah, Peja's a great player, no question.

To get him. I'd give Sacto any Pacer not named Jermaine O'Neal or Ron Artest.

Even Reggie? :shakehead: