PDA

View Full Version : Brunner at pacers.com: Nothing is going on with Sacto, says Bird

Slick Pinkham
08-09-2004, 04:32 PM
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/bird_stojakovic_040809.html

Bird Says "Nothing’s Going On" with Kings

By Conrad Brunner | Aug. 9, 2004
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Though the Ron Artest-Peja Stojakovic trade rumor has taken on a life of its own, Larry Bird would just as soon see it put to rest. The team President said Monday that "nothing's going on" between his Pacers and the Sacramento Kings.

Bird "He asked for a trade and we're a team that's got a lot of guys," Bird said, "so that's where (the rumor got started)."

Stojakovic, Sacramento’s leading scorer last season, asked the Kings for a trade last week. The Pacers were named in the initial report in the Sacramento Bee as a team that had expressed interest in June, with a possible deal involving Ron Artest.

But Bird said his discussions, with Kings Player Personnel Director Jerry Reynolds, preceded the trade with Atlanta that brought Stephen Jackson in exchange for Al Harrington, and were largely informal.

“Before we got Stephen Jackson we really didn’t call them, per se, I just talked to Jerry Reynolds a couple of times and he informed me they wouldn’t trade him,” Bird said. “We’re interested in anybody that can shoot. We like guys that can spread the court and obviously we think he’s a very good player but it’s going to be very hard for them to let a guy like that

Stojakovic’s agent, David Bauman, has taken an active and aggressive stance with the Kings designed at convincing the team’s co-owners, Joe and Gavin Maloof, that his client is serious about wanting out of Sacramento.

“They’re going to realize Peja is dead-set on this,” Bauman told The Indianapolis Star. “It’s probably better to make the best trade you can make now. We’re putting a ton of pressure on the Kings and the Kings’ owners.”

Joe Maloof told ESPN he had “absolutely no intention and no plan” to trade Stojakovic.

And if the Kings decide to grant Stojakovic’s request?

“We’ll always listen,” Bird said. “We’ve got people calling a lot about our players, but we don’t like to get our players’ names in the paper unless we get ready to do something. But it’s all speculation right now.

Hicks
08-09-2004, 04:37 PM
That's total BS. I know for a fact it's BS. Believe me or don't believe me. But hell, Greg from sportsdesk on ESPN950 is hearing it from his sources too, thereis definintely something going on. Whether or not is happens is one thing, but to say "nothing's going on" is ********.

able
08-09-2004, 04:41 PM
blah, DW student, and a bad one: what time is the press conference ?

Young
08-09-2004, 04:44 PM
Interesting because I was reading something earlier, I think an article posted on here, about how the Kings make moves behind closed doors. Webber in 98, Bibby in 01, and Brad last summer. No one saw those coming.

Of course a swap of the two players would not suprise anyone.

indygeezer
08-09-2004, 04:45 PM
Kiss-o-death.

(We are not looking at trading Jalen Rose)

Mourning
08-09-2004, 04:56 PM
Offcourse, it is BS! It's BS, because it's not final yet and Indy doesnt want a disgruntled Artest feeling disrespected IF the talks breakdown (PLEASE!!!).

Regards,

Mourning:cool:

sweabs
08-09-2004, 04:58 PM
Or...it could mean that nothing is going on :confused:

Ah - who am I kidding...just some wishful thinking on my part...:cry:

bulletproof
08-09-2004, 05:39 PM
Though the Ron Artest-Peja Stojakovic trade rumor has taken on a life of its own, Larry Bird would just as soon see it put to rest. The team President said Monday that "nothing's going on" between his Pacers and the Sacramento Kings.

:lol2:

indygeezer
08-09-2004, 05:43 PM
Um, I take it you don't agree with his position huh BP?

kybjones
08-09-2004, 05:45 PM
Bruno just gave Ron the pacers.com kiss of death, indeed.

Rose, Thomas, Anderson, Harrington.

They are 4/4 in denials coming to fruition, that I can recall in the past few years.

Roaming Gnome
08-09-2004, 05:47 PM
I'll just take it for what it is worth... Ain't gonna happen!

Anthem
08-09-2004, 06:39 PM
Rose, Thomas, Anderson, Harrington.

They are 4/4 in denials coming to fruition, that I can recall in the past few years.

What did I miss?

Anderson? Harrington? Where were there denials that those deals were possible? I have no idea what you're talking about with Anderson, and with Harrington it said a trade was likely. How's that a denial?

Lord Helmet
08-09-2004, 06:50 PM
Who knows what will happen.I still don't want to trade Ron.

Hoop
08-09-2004, 07:12 PM
To you guys that supposedly "know" something. :rolleyes:

I'll believe when it becomes fact, until then Ron is a Pacer for life in my book. :p

SoupIsGood
08-09-2004, 08:18 PM
Interesting post I saw on Kingsfans.com

"Criticizing someone and then denying you meant THAT person is standard fare nowadays. In politics, basketball, whatever...

First Webber names tough guys who play hard and he leaves Peja off the list. Oh no, he didn't mean Peja.

Then, Peja says his wish to be traded has nothing to do with Webber.

Then Petrie says he's not gonna trade Peja and Bird says no way also.

And then we wake up one morning and look at Kingsfans and there's a thread with 25,000 views and Peja's traded for Artest."

I also agree that this denial most definitly means something is in the works, and if it falls through, they don't want Artest going crazy.

However, looking at kingsfans.com and PD, the forums that represnt the two fan bases the best, the majority of Kings fans seem welcome to the trade, while here it's 50/50 at best. Maybe that means something.

Unclebuck
08-10-2004, 12:25 AM
I don't remember one denial about Al being traded. In fact just the opposite, the Pacers indicated they were going to trade Al if a good deal came along

Anthem
08-10-2004, 12:29 AM
I don't remember one denial about Al being traded. In fact just the opposite, the Pacers indicated they were going to trade Al if a good deal came along

My point exactly. And who knows what the Anderson thing is. And Rose was the one saying he was untradeable, not Donnie. Donnie said "we're not shopping Jalen," not "We're not going to trade Jalen."

"We're not talking to Sacramento" doesn't have a whole lot of wiggle room to it.

Hicks
08-10-2004, 12:37 AM
"We're not talking to Sacramento... Sacramento's talking to us" ;)

Anthem
08-10-2004, 12:50 AM
"We're not talking to Sacramento... Sacramento's talking to us" ;)

Fair enough. But given the temperment of the agent, I'd say it's more likely that the article started with a "hot tip" from an agent who was trying to start something.