PDA

View Full Version : A combo question....

Peck
02-04-2004, 01:45 AM
This involves both the salary cap & Austin Croshere.

The Nets bought out Mutumbo's contract & saved themselves close to 10 million on the salary cap.

Could the Pacers do the same thing for Croshere's contract? & if they could do you think they should?

efx
02-04-2004, 07:54 AM
I don't know.. Croshere has been pretty good recently. Of course, there's also the fact that he is grossly overpaid.

sixthman
02-04-2004, 09:17 AM
Cro has three years left after this year, reportedly at an average of about 8.9 million. Guaranteed money. It is unlikely he or his agent would agree to a buyout which offered the Pacers any substantial salary relief.

As for the Pacers, their best bet is to chill for a year or so. The shorter Croshere's contract gets, the more tradable he becomes.

beast23
02-04-2004, 09:25 AM
I agree with btowncolt that I don't believe the Simon's would let go of the dollars to get the deal done. Austin has 3 years on his contract after this one totallying $26,730,000.

From a player's perspective, I think the odds are a lot greater for Austin to reach an NBA finals if he plays out his contract here. After all, what is the liklihood that he'll sign with SA, LAL, Dallas, the Kings or the Wolves.

So you have a player that would like to play more minutes, yet probably appreciates the quality of the team that he is playing for. I doubt Austin wants to leave, he just wants more minutes.

So from a player's perspective, what would it take to buy out his $26.73M contract? $20M?

Aside from the Simon's probable unwillingness to do it, I think that the amount that it would take for Austin to be willing to consider is probably close enough to what is owed on the contract to make it not worth losing what Austin brings to the team. If you follow that huge run-on.