PDA

View Full Version : Couple Things I heard On Sportscenter

Bball
02-04-2004, 07:13 AM
(

wats that i smell? I KNOW! it the re-birth of a Knicks/Pacers rivalry! cant wait :devil:

Be careful what you wish for.....

-Bball

birdman
02-04-2004, 07:24 AM
``We're going to remember those guys acting like they won the championship,'' Indiana's Jermaine O'Neal said. ``Hopefully guys on our team have long memories.''

I love that quote too. Hey let the knicks celebrate, it's probably going to be their biggest win all season. LOL, the only time it is alright for a NBA player to cry is when they win the championship. Give me a break.

Unclebuck
02-04-2004, 08:20 AM
Watching the Knicks broadcast was interesting. They were saying how physical this game was and how it was like a playoff game.

I thought it was a typical game the pacers have played this season as far as physicalness goes.

I guess we have gotten used to it.

Peck
02-04-2004, 08:26 AM
Watching the Knicks broadcast was interesting. They were saying how physical this game was and how it was like a playoff game.

I thought it was a typical game the pacers have played this season as far as physicalness goes.

I guess we have gotten used to it.

It was physical allright, it was physical in the sense that N.Y. was physical & we could not be physical back.

Unclebuck
02-04-2004, 08:31 AM
It was physical allright, it was physical in the sense that N.Y. was physical & we could not be physical back.

I agree with you, but pacers were just not good last night, sluggish, a step slow, soft.

Does anyone else think Walt Cyde Frazier is very annoying

Peck
02-04-2004, 08:37 AM

I agree with you, but pacers were just not good last night, sluggish, a step slow, soft.

Nah, I usually find Clyde to be informative & entertaining.

As to the team being sluggish & all, it was kind of addressed in the paper with the whole team plane & everything.

Players & coach's can't use it as an excuse, but we (the fans) can forgive them for this.

Plus Jermaine shouldn't have played & Al is still sore. I am not upset with last nights loss, but you know me I'm always wanting to look for something better. Maybe that's why I love Brown so much. :unimpressed:

But I still am NOT happy with the center spot.

Ragnar
02-04-2004, 09:07 AM
I find Clyde to be a little anoying. He seems like the dumb neighbor who comes over and keeps talking. Clearly Jermaine was not all there. I thought Ron, Tins, and Reggie had decent games but that was it.

When are we going to see Kenny play those backeup minutes?

beast23
02-04-2004, 09:28 AM
(reporter talking to stephon marbury, not exact quote but damn close :))

reporter- do you realize how big a game this was for isiah thomas?
marbury-oh yeah zeke and I were in the back crying.
^
why would they be crying? good lord it was a regular season game in february :laugh:

Heres the quote that made me feel good though:
Jermaine O'Neal-We're going to remember these guys acting like they won the championship down the road.

wats that i smell? I KNOW! it the re-birth of a Knicks/Pacers rivalry! cant wait :devil:

For us it was a regular game.

For the Knicks, after what they've been through this season, and having new players on the roster for only 12-14 games, it was a statement game to prove how far they've come against one of the league's elite.

It was a very important game for the Knicks. And in the supposed "renewed" rivalry, they gained one on us.

We allowed them to win, and if we face them in the playoffs, it just makes them that much more dangerous to us.

They accomplished what they needed to.

indygeezer
02-04-2004, 09:43 AM
And if they think they, or we, are going to play that way inb a 7 game series they ain't based in reality. But let em live in their dream...when reality rears it's ugly head to shock them it will be too late...and ohhh soooooo sweet!

Hicks
02-04-2004, 09:48 AM
Yeah, they're living in a fantasy realm if they think last night was an indication of how a series would play out.

I could see them having 2 games like that on their floor, but we'd probably steal one there, and even if not, we'd own them at home.

ChicagoJ
02-04-2004, 10:33 AM

If I had to choose between Clark Kellogg and Clyde, I'd pick Frazier every time. Actually, I think he and Marv are a pretty good tandem. Although I admit Clyde has spent a little too much time with his thesaurus. :rolleyes:

Unclebuck
02-04-2004, 10:46 AM
Every good thing the Knicks did last night offensively was because of Marbury. Every open shot, every offensive rebound was because of Marbury's penetration.

ChicagoJ
02-04-2004, 10:52 AM
Every good thing the Knicks did last night offensively was because of Marbury. Every open shot, every offensive rebound was because of Marbury's penetration.

I don't know if I agree with you completely or not; but I'm going to make this observation from a different angle:

I thought Marbury was more effective individually in the first half. I thought our team defense against him was much more effective in the second half. At that time, Marbury - for once in his career - got his teammates, (read: Half-Penny) involved. And then Half-Penny absolutely killed us.

I think if Marbury played his usual selfish style, we win. I thought we didn't look prepared for his epiphany that he had four teammates on the court. I was actually getting mad that Marbury wasn't forcing more shots.

Unclebuck
02-04-2004, 11:03 AM
I have to give Lenny Wilkens a lot of credit for the offense he has installed. Marbury does not dominate the ball as much as he has in the past, they move the ball around very well, as opposed to the way the Suns played with Marbury where Marbury had the ball all the time.

DisplacedKnick
02-04-2004, 01:24 PM

I'm pretty close to agreeing with you on this. In the first half Marbury did it all by himself. That worried me.

In the second half the Pacers changed their defense to account for him and it opened up the floor for everyone else. It's one thing to have open shots but we had a ton of mid-range jump shots with nobody within five feet of us.

A few game observations. The Pacers didn't play their normal game. JO wasn't up to par - the explosiveness wasn't there.

The Knicks are MUCH better than we were the last two times before. Because of Marbury and Wilkens. It takes a top player to execute it, but we actually had a half-court offense last night. Even though a lot of it ended with jump shots they were good looks and we did go into the paint a lot more than we used to.

As far as the effort not being there, I disagree. I don't think the Pacers played very well but that was mainly for two reasons. First, you didn't go to the basket consistently on offense. Second, you let Marbury take you out of your defensive schemes. You were better off locking everyone else down and making him beat you. Usually the Pacers deal with penetration by rotating to cover - last night your defense collapsed in a big way - 3 men to him, leaving shooters open.

In particular Artest was fired up - the usual Ron. But he lost his discipline the 2nd half and started shading Marbury quite a bit which let KVH get going. I was going to list the players who I thought gave effort and those who didn't - but the only player who looked like he didn't give the effort was JO. Artest was certainly trying, Reggie was, Harrington was aggressive but just couldn't make a shot, Tinsley's 3's scared me though overall he didn't have a great game.

I didn't think it was a lack of effort by the Pacers as much as not staying disciplined on defense and worrying about their man instead of Marbury. How else do you get ISO's with Penny Hardaway on Tinsley or looks by KT without anyone within 5 feet of him? Oh, and the Knicks worked the pick-and-roll pretty well. Ultimately, you let the Knicks take you out of your game. I thought it would be the other way around - you'd make us play your game and we'd get beat. But you didn't.

DisplacedKnick
02-04-2004, 01:26 PM
I have to give Lenny Wilkens a lot of credit for the offense he has installed. Marbury does not dominate the ball as much as he has in the past, they move the ball around very well, as opposed to the way the Suns played with Marbury where Marbury had the ball all the time.

No - he's changed his game. His points are down, his shooting % and assists are up. He had a couple of plays last night where it looked like he pretty much had decided to shoot no matter what but not much.

Unclebuck
02-04-2004, 01:40 PM
Diplaced: I was impressed with the physicalness of the Knicks defense, seemed almost like a Jeff Van Gundy defense without the ball pressure

DisplacedKnick
02-04-2004, 02:29 PM
Diplaced: I was impressed with the physicalness of the Knicks defense, seemed almost like a Jeff Van Gundy defense without the ball pressure

Our interior defense is strong but you'd expect that with Mutombo & KT.

What surprised me was how well we defended some of the more athletic Pacers by switching. It seemed like any time you did drive to the basket we had a coupe of guys covering and we rotated out to the ball well enough to keep you from getting too many open 3's. Our defensive roatation was better than I expected.

In particular I was impressed with Doleac and Van Horn on defense. Doleac isn't just a big soft player with a jump shot any more. And KVH will never be in Artest's league but he played the best defense I've ever seen from him.

Though I gotta admit - the one play toward the end where Artest stood all by his lonesome for at least 10 seconds bothered me - I'm just glad he missed the shot.

Unclebuck
02-04-2004, 02:36 PM
seen from him.

Though I gotta admit - the one play toward the end where Artest stood all by his lonesome for at least 10 seconds bothered me - I'm just glad he missed the shot.

I say Ronnie standing there wide open and when he finally got the ball, I stood up because I expected that to go in.

Booger
02-04-2004, 02:40 PM
KVH gave Ron a lot of problems last night with his length. I'm thinking of a steal he had in the corner on one possession and a fade-away Ron tried at the free throw line that Van Horn blocked. Overall, both players played well.

I was like you Buck, that 3 Ron took looked good all the way. I expected him to make that.