PDA

View Full Version : Who thinks AL was a great defender?

Burt_Reincarnated
08-08-2004, 01:12 AM
Since some are talkin smack about my comment on AL being a dominating defensive player, I would like to see what ya'll think about him. My opinion on AL is no secret. I think he is one of the best defenders in the leauge.

Hicks
08-08-2004, 01:14 AM
He was a very good defender before his knee injury, and a good defender ever after.

Kegboy
08-08-2004, 01:21 AM
He was a great defender before the injury, but lost his motivation afterwards. If he wanted to, I still think he could be extremely good, though he's lost some of his mobility, which is due to the bulk he put on, not the knee.

Pig Nash
08-08-2004, 01:36 AM
Was being the operative word here. He was a great defender. Then he bulked up and his knee got injured. That made him an above average defender.

Arcadian
08-08-2004, 02:33 AM
Al is a good defender to very good defender depending on the match up. I would not use the word great. But I wouldn't disrespect his defense out of spite either.

Unclebuck
08-08-2004, 11:05 AM
Al is a very good defender now.

beast23
08-08-2004, 11:42 AM
He was a very good defender before his knee injury, and a good defender ever after.
Pretty accurate.

I think he was on his way to becoming a great defender before his injury.

Following his injury, I don't think he played defense with the same passion, and I don't think his lateral movement has been nearly as good.

There are only three choices in the poll, and I don't think any are correct.

Al is a very good defender of PFs, but is only an average defender of SFs.

ChicagoJ
08-08-2004, 01:15 PM
Al is a very good defender of PFs, but is only an average defender of SFs.

Agree.

Roaming Gnome
08-08-2004, 01:19 PM
He was a decent defender... The number one thing for me, he is not here...hallalujah!! :applaud:

Snickers
08-08-2004, 01:28 PM
I see that the pseudo-option "somewhere between great and bad" is winning. :laugh:

Lord Helmet
08-08-2004, 03:19 PM
AL was an average defender.

Anthem
08-08-2004, 04:14 PM
I can't vote in this poll. For the record, I agree with the prevailing sentiment... Al's D went way down after the injury.

I've always wondered if Al's defensive slippage had anything to do with bringing in Artest. Al had to know he'd never be as good a defensive player as Artest, so maybe he focused more on his offense as a way to differentiate himself?

:shrug: Dunno. But post-injury and pre-injury were two seperate players, both offensively and defensively.

Kegboy
08-08-2004, 08:56 PM
I've always wondered if Al's defensive slippage had anything to do with bringing in Artest. Al had to know he'd never be as good a defensive player as Artest, so maybe he focused more on his offense as a way to differentiate himself?

I've thought the same thing myself. There's no way it was just his knee.

TheSauceMaster
08-08-2004, 09:26 PM
He's was good , But "Great" is such a strong word , there is a big diffrence between the words :p

DisplacedKnick
08-09-2004, 10:29 AM
Most share my sentiments. Before his knee injury he had an oustanding combination of strength and quickness. Afterwards he had the strength but was only average in quickness.

Still good, but not a stopper any more.

indygeezer
08-09-2004, 11:20 AM

I've thought the same thing myself. There's no way it was just his knee.

Al WAS a great defender until three planets aligned against him...Artest's arrival...the injury...and his 40 point game. After all that and seeing the accolades JO and RA were getting (the year RA did NOT get AS status) he fell apart. He pressed too hard to be noticed as much as they were. He forgot that he was good enough that he was even asked to gaurd gaurds at times. He was our "artest" until we got the real thing, then he forgot what got him all the attention he WAS getting.

He tried too hard to be THEE man and forgot what made him important to the TEAM.