PDA

View Full Version : Bird's Future Replacement

Justin Tyme
07-08-2010, 01:17 PM
If Bird isn't the PBO after the 011 season, who would you like to see replace him?

Of interest

Kevin Pritchard.... jumps out, but he had Allen's money to work with.

Sam Presti... of OKC is an interesting candidate.

Kiki Vandeweghe

RC Buford

NO INTEREST

Kevin McHale
Zeke
Steve Kerr
Rick Sund
Billy King
Billy Knight
Danny Ferry
Mullins
Dunleavy
Otis Smith
Rod Thorn

cdash
07-08-2010, 01:21 PM
Doris Burke.

Doddage
07-08-2010, 01:22 PM
David Morway

tsm612
07-08-2010, 01:23 PM
Donnie Walsh

MyFavMartin
07-08-2010, 01:23 PM
David Morway

+1

Bball
07-08-2010, 01:25 PM
Miss Cleo says- David Morway's role will expand while Bird becomes part of an ownership group that buys a majority interest in the Pacers.

Kegboy
07-08-2010, 01:34 PM
Pritch. Yes, he wouldn't have the money, but most of his work was done in the draft anyway.

microwave_oven
07-08-2010, 01:39 PM
I actually like what Steve Kerr did in PHX, so my list is:

1. Pritchard
2. Morway
3. Kerr

Speed
07-08-2010, 01:42 PM
I keep Bird, depending on what he does up til Feb. He said in a summer league interview yesterday, he took over 2.5 years ago when Donnie left and he decided it was time to start over, basically.

I like the patience waiting for the next CBA as teams spend money on Gooden, Haywoode, Outlaw now.

I love this years draft, so much more long sighted than I expected. (Stephenson has impressed me more than any summer league Pacer rookie, ever.)

I just like the direction and the vision now. This is a far cry from where I was a few months ago, but between the draft, patience, and vision, I'm on board.

Obie's tenure could be a deal breaker, but for now I'm down.

Edit: reread premise, if Bird leaves. I like Kerr or maybe Pritchard. I like Kerr's idea of putting together a team (sans the Shaq move) and Pritchard's draft eye (sans Oden, in retrospect).

Brad8888
07-08-2010, 02:32 PM
Bball nailed it IMO.

I still feel like Bird has been devaluing the franchise through the willful use of O'B and will come in next year during the lockout and be a member of a buying group that will end up with majority ownership, at which point Bird will become President of Pacers Sports and Entertainment, with Morway assuming a temporary dual position of GM and President of Basketball Operations until Bird can hire McHale for GM and some other green guy for head coach.

Hicks
07-08-2010, 02:53 PM
Have to say Pritchard.

pizza guy
07-08-2010, 05:58 PM
Yeah, Pritchard would be my choice if Bird is gone. Though, I would like to see Bird stay as I think it's still a little early to judge him completely. I like the draft picks he's made, save a few busts (but everyone has those). I want to see what he does with the expirings, either in trades or FA, because most good GMs would be able to make something good out of this situation.

--pizza

Rupert Stilinski
07-08-2010, 06:04 PM
I don't want my GM to have a bigger ego than all my players combined.

So Pritchard is off my list.

Ozwalt72
07-08-2010, 06:05 PM
I don't know how Pritchard would do without millions to toss into buying picks. If we were committed to spending the cash to play in the candy land that is the end of the first round, I'd pick him up in a hurry. Otherwise? Not sure.

Kerr is interesting. I just have a feeling Morway will take over for Bird.

Justin Tyme
07-08-2010, 07:33 PM
The reason I mentioned RC Buford is SA is in a small market, put together a team that has won multiple championships, and seems to draft well. I don't believe I've ever heard a negative comment about him.

indygeezer
07-08-2010, 07:37 PM
I throw caution to the wind, and every dollar I have, and lure Bill Polian away from the Colts.

Just remember you heard it here first if this should ever happen.

vnzla81
07-08-2010, 07:40 PM
JOB?

Rupert Stilinski
07-08-2010, 08:29 PM
The reason I mentioned RC Buford is SA is in a small market, put together a team that has won multiple championships, and seems to draft well. I don't believe I've ever heard a negative comment about him.

And he would come here because...?

Justin Tyme
07-08-2010, 10:50 PM
And he would come here because...?

The Spurs are getting old, he's tired of a warm climate, and he wants a new challenge. :D