PDA

View Full Version : What Other NBA Fans Think of Lance Stephenson

MillerTime
07-08-2010, 09:36 AM
I was reading a thread on another board about Lance Stephenson. From the looks of it, people are in love with him. Ive posted the link below, I think you guys will be happy with what you read. Its nice to know its not just Pacer fans that are ranting on about Lance

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=181561

PS. If we're not allowed to post links from other boards, please delete

dal9
07-08-2010, 09:53 AM
not only are we not allowed to post links, we are not allowed to talk about what other NBA fans think...who cares about them...Pacers fans only!

DELETE OP!

:)

bellisimo
07-08-2010, 09:54 AM
^^^sarcasm

McKeyFan
07-08-2010, 10:04 AM
I was reading a thread on another board about Lance Stephenson. From the looks of it, people are in love with him. Ive posted the link below, I think you guys will be happy with what you read. Its nice to know its not just Pacer fans that are ranting on about Lance

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=181561

PS. If we're not allowed to post links from other boards, please delete

Nice find, MT. They are more into Lance than a lot of the posters here.

That last comment about Lance not sharing the ball isn't a concern. If he errs in a certain direction, it's not taking his own shot. Personally, I think he has a great feel for when to pass and when to score. Elite level judgment.

RonArtest
07-08-2010, 10:11 AM
Lance (or Lancicles as I like to call him, rhymes with Heracles/Hurcules) brings an assassin's instinct and a hood kill or be killed attitude that the Pacers have lacked since they traded Ron-Ron and Sjax1 (my two favorite players of all time, in all sports). I am not being sarcastic.

BRushWithDeath
07-08-2010, 10:17 AM
Ron-Ron and Sjax1 (my two favorite players of all time, in all sports). I am not being sarcastic.

That's a shame.

MillerTime
07-08-2010, 10:23 AM
Lance (or Lancicles as I like to call him, rhymes with Heracles/Hurcules) brings an assassin's instinct and a hood kill or be killed attitude that the Pacers have lacked since they traded Ron-Ron and Sjax1 (my two favorite players of all time, in all sports). I am not being sarcastic.

Artest had his best days in Indy. Hes a good player, from a strictly basketball point of view, but hes not a good teammate. He causes a lot of frustration for a team/organization. And he himself even admits to it now, by all the apologies hes been giving (publically) to the Pacers

graphic-er
07-08-2010, 10:25 AM
That's a shame.

Even more shameful to dog on somebody cause they like a certain players.

RonArtest
07-08-2010, 10:49 AM
That's a shame.

I'm not trying to be caustic or corrosive, but no one on this current team (minus the rooks that haven't played a NBA game / make the team...and maybe Granger) has what it takes to win consistently at a world class level. The best way I can describe my thinking is that Ron/Sjax/Lancicles are like joga bonito Brazilian footballers that know instinctively and naturally how to play with ruthlessness and flair. The current players we have on the Pacers team (Dunleavy, Murphy, Brush, etc) are like soccer players in the German/American/English sense, too proper, overthinkers, slaves to the post-colonial/imperial complex and mindset that we see in the modern era of colonialism and marginalization through economic coercion and globalization. The know how to play THE GAME, but can't play the game.

We need hood ballers, rez ballers, etc. We need players of the game, but not THE GAME.

The following piece by Sherman Alexie sums up my emotions on this topic:

Defending Walt Whitman

Basketball is like this for young Indian boys, all arms and legs
and serious stomach muscles. Every body is brown!
These are the twentieth-century warriors who will never kill,
although a few sat quietly in the deserts of Kuwait,
waiting for orders to do something, to do something.

God, there is nothing as beautiful as a jumpshot
on a reservation summer basketball court
where the ball is moist with sweat,
and makes a sound when it swishes through the net
that causes Walt Whitman to weep because it is so perfect.

There are veterans of foreign wars here
although their bodies are still dominated
by collarbones and knees, although their bodies still respond
in the ways that bodies are supposed to respond when we are young.
Every body is brown! Look there, that boy can run
up and down this court forever. He can leap for a rebound
with his back arched like a salmon, all meat and bone
synchronized, magnetic, as if the court were a river,
as if the rim were a dam, as if the air were a ladder
leading the Indian boy toward home.

Some of the Indian boys still wear their military hair cuts
while a few have let their hair grow back.
It will never be the same as it was before!
One Indian boy has never cut his hair, not once, and he braids it
into wild patterns that do not measure anything.
He is just a boy with too much time on his hands.
Look at him. He wants to play this game in bare feet.

God, the sun is so bright! There is no place like this.
Walt Whitman stretches his calf muscles
on the sidelines. He has the next game.
His huge beard is ridiculous on the reservation.
Some body throws a crazy pass and Walt Whitman catches it
with quick hands. He brings the ball close to his nose
and breathes in all of its smells: leather, brown skin, sweat,
black hair, burning oil, twisted ankle, long drink of warm water,
gunpowder, pine tree. Walt Whitman squeezes the ball tightly.
He wants to run. He hardly has the patience to wait for his turn.
"What's the score?" he asks. He asks, "What's the score?"

Basketball is like this for Walt Whitman. He watches these Indian boys
as if they were the last bodies on earth. Every body is brown!
Walt Whitman shakes because he believes in God.
Walt Whitman dreams of the Indian boy who will defend him,
trapping him in the corner, all flailing arms and legs
and legendary stomach muscles. Walt Whitman shakes
because he believes in God. Walt Whitman dreams
of the first jumpshot he will take, the ball arcing clumsily
from his fingers, striking the rim so hard that it sparks.
Walt Whitman shakes because he believes in God.
Walt Whitman closes his eyes. He is a small man and his beard
is ludicrous on the reservation, absolutely insane.
His beard makes the Indian boys righteously laugh. His beard
frightens the smallest Indian boys. His beard tickles the skin
of the Indian boys who dribble past him. His beard, his beard!

God, there is beauty in every body. Walt Whitman stands
at center court while the Indian boys run from basket to basket.
Walt Whitman cannot tell the difference between
offense and defense. He does not care if he touches the ball.
Half of the Indian boys wear t-shirts damp with sweat
and the other half are bareback, skin slick and shiny.
There is no place like this. Walt Whitman smiles.
Walt Whitman shakes. This game belongs to him.

Speed
07-08-2010, 11:11 AM
One my favorite skits is on the Chapelle Show, they do an 'And One' parody using bowling instead of basketball. Hilarious... spin moves on the approach to deliver that ball, guys in the background whoopin it up. Lots of Hellz yaz, etc. Random robot guy, of course. Not really sure if this is what we're talking about, but pretty funny.

If we're talking about a ruthless, drive to suceed at almost all costs, killer instinct, then ya, but you can be that without 'keeping it real'.

Reggie had this, lack of fear to rise to the biggest moment. Really why he'll be in the HOF, moreso than just his stats.

My point is citing Stephen Jackson and Artest as examples of this is maybe a near miss at best due to the long history of instability on the court.

I'd offer Kobe (begrudingly) and even a role player like Robert Horry, maybe, guys who have the will to prepare and the mental toughness to perform, as well as not step on their teammates/franchise in the process.

RonArtest
07-08-2010, 11:16 AM
One my favorite skits is on the Chapelle Show, they do an 'And One' parody using bowling instead of basketball. Hilarious... spin moves on the approach to deliver that ball, guys in the background whoopin it up. Lots of Hellz yaz, etc. Random robot guy, of course. Not really sure if this is what we're talking about, but pretty funny.

If we're talking about a ruthless, drive to suceed at almost all costs, killer instinct, then ya, but you can be that without 'keeping it real'.

Reggie had this, lack of fear to rise to the biggest moment. Really why he'll be in the HOF, moreso than just his stats.

My point is citing Stephen Jackson and Artest as examples of this is maybe a near miss at best due to the long history of instability on the court.

I'd offer Kobe (begrudingly) and even a role player like Robert Horry, maybe, guys who have the will to prepare and the mental toughness to perform, as well as not step on their teammates/franchise in the process.

I completely agree. The problem with Ron/Sjax1 and also Jtinsley when they were with the Pacers was their lack of 100% devotion to basketball on and off the court.

Los Angeles
07-08-2010, 11:18 AM
RonArtest, I think this board has done the Black/Thug/Talented Baller vs. White/"BBall IQ"/Less Talented Baller argument about 1000 times and it never goes well.

I like your poem, though.

RonArtest
07-08-2010, 11:39 AM
Haha thanks. I wish I wrote it but it's a Sherman Alexie poem. I don't mean to make it a black-white debate. I'm attempting to point out the development and focus of players have a lot to do with cultural and socioeconomic devotion to bball. Ron/Sjax have it. So does Steve Nash and Larry Bird.

Ron and Sjax lost that devotion off the court when they were with the Pacers. I would say the same for Brandon Rush and Troy Murphy (though theirs is more of an on-court problem lol).

EDIT: I am tempted to argue that Tyler has "it."