PDA

View Full Version : Summer League Quality Vs. College Basketball Quality

bellisimo
07-08-2010, 07:39 AM
every summer we go through the same motions: Its only Summer League...just because player X is doing good now doesn't mean he would do well come regular season.

My question is, if Summer League's quality is that bad, then why do we bother trying to evaluate players in College?

Isn't Summer League supposed to be against players that are a level above college?

Sure, have we be burned by seeing some of the past Pacer players light it up in SL only to disappear in regular season? yes! But I don't think that the value of Summer League should be thrown out the window either...

bphil
07-08-2010, 08:15 AM
Trust me... 95% of all D1 players would get crushed in the summer league. Anyone who suggests otherwise hasn't played much ball.

Kegboy
07-08-2010, 08:54 AM
Well, it all goes to where you stand on the Iverson "practice" debate. The streetballers of the world are all about summer league. If you believe in scouting reports and watching film and the more mental aspects of the game, you'll learn more watching a player in a more structured environment.

Dr. Awesome
07-08-2010, 09:37 AM
There's a huge difference between a team and pickup ball. Then again, there's hardly no difference between our offense and pickup ball, so it washes out.

Mr. Sobchak
07-08-2010, 10:40 AM
Well, it all goes to where you stand on the Iverson "practice" debate. The streetballers of the world are all about summer league.

How do you figure?

MLB007
07-08-2010, 02:12 PM
Well, it all goes to where you stand on the Iverson "practice" debate. The streetballers of the world are all about summer league. If you believe in scouting reports and watching film and the more mental aspects of the game, you'll learn more watching a player in a more structured environment.

Not to mention that there is emotion and a lot of energy devoted to team defense in college ball.
Not anything you're going to see in summer league.
I think the only thing you can "kind" of tell is whether a guy is athletic enough for the next level. If you can't stand out in the summer crowd, you're going to have a really hard time making it anywhere.

Gamble1
07-08-2010, 02:25 PM
Isn't Summer League supposed to be against players that are a level above college?

This is just my take on it.

THe differnce to me is that college ball is much more "team" basketball. Coaches spend countless hours on chemistry and development of the team and summer league just won't be able to replicate that IMO.

Athletically I think the summer league is a giant step up from college ball but that only lets you know so much. What you really want to know is if the guy can actually process information quickly and react fast enough to make smart decision on the court with his teammates. TO me you only answer that question with real NBA games.

SycamoreKen
07-08-2010, 02:54 PM
I think the Summer League is a chance to take the players out of systems and see what they can do. I think what you are looking for depends on who you are playing. The games against OKC should be of more interest than say against Boston because of who those teams are made up of. OKC is loaded for a summer league team. How the young guys take them on and handle them would be more helpful than how they deal with Boston's team of scrubs.

Naptown_Seth
07-08-2010, 03:04 PM
Exactly.

Josh McRoberts never takes 12 threes in a college game, period. And frankly it's not like these rosters are that different from decent college programs. There are only 20 top 20 guys spread across Orlando and Vegas at this point, perhaps 30-35 if you count guys from last year that are out there. If you only look at the top 20-30 serious NCAA programs then the competition is about the same.

For example, Texas ran Bradley, D James (who is having a good summer as a SF instead of PF) and Pittman. Well that's not much different than his (James) current summer squad is running right now.

Philly with Holiday, Turner and Speights is what, a summer version of UCLA running Collison, Westbrook and Love? And guys like Kyle Weaver and OJ Mayo played UCLA (and each other) all through their conference season.

And those teams were organized and were given 5 month to work together. You can think that a summer squad would kill an elite college program but I just don't think that's realistic.

Kansas St, Duke, Baylor or even Butler and their defense would give any of these squads a very tough time, at least if the games were ref'd properly. Already I've seen guys walking foolishly into HC traps (including my fave guy TWill who racked up a ton of TOs because of it) with no help coming back to them.

You know what KsSt would do to these disjointed teams? Or Butler? It would be TO city, then a nice PnR at the other end for the layup. 5-8 times per game the summer squad would have some highlight dunk or play, but they'd lose by 10-15 in the end.

joew8302
07-08-2010, 03:38 PM
I think some others on this thread have hit on the points I am going to make, but I will throw it out there. In terms of a "quality" perspective college bball is much better. This is so for a few reasons.

Summer league teams are together for what, a week, then they are thrown out there and told to play ball. The guys have a vague at best idea of team defense and the principles their current team sets forth. Offense is much the same way. The structure, and philosophy of offenses in college are just thrown out.

You also have to look at motivation. In college, the motivation for all members on both teams is to win the game, plain and simple. In the summer league you have some guys fighting for roster spots (Rolle, Stevenson), you have some guys refining skills (Mcbob) and some guys auditioning for teams in Europe (Williams, Kramer etc.). Because the focus is not about winning and different motivations play into summer leagues, the quality of play drops from a major college game IMO.

That said, the talent in summer league basketball is superior to college. I wouldn't think anyone could argue that. College basketball is of much higher quality however.

BRushWithDeath
07-08-2010, 05:21 PM
You have to love summer league. Where the quality of play is as bad as the officiating.

It's a glorified pick up game.

Kstat
07-08-2010, 08:12 PM
I would judge college basketball with more credit than i would ten NBA all-stars playing in summer league. Summer league does not even come close in terms of testing a prospect.