PDA

View Full Version : Report: LeBron To Pick Miami Heat

Kamiyohk
07-08-2010, 12:55 AM
LeBron James has decided to join Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh in Miami, according to multiple sources that spoke with Newsday.
RealGM Note: The news of the 10-11 NBA salary cap being at $58.044M creates additional cap room for James, Wade and Bosh to get closer to a maximum contract.
James is scheduled to announce his final decision live on ESPN at 9:00 PM EST on Thursday.

Read more: http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/67957/20100708/report_lebron_to_pick_miami_heat/#ixzz0t40Owv9N

HC
07-08-2010, 12:57 AM
I'll believe it when I don't see it because I won't be watching....lol

SoupIsGood
07-08-2010, 01:05 AM
Oh, damn. Heat are going to be almost impossibly good, if this is true.

Magic P
07-08-2010, 01:07 AM
Get the hell out of the division!!!

ksuttonjr76
07-08-2010, 01:08 AM
I guess he really does care about winning several championships.

pwee31
07-08-2010, 01:09 AM
Make it stop!! :picard:

Pacers2012
07-08-2010, 01:09 AM

wont matter if we cant get past the heat. id rather he stay in with the cavs then be with the heat

CableKC
07-08-2010, 01:10 AM
I wouldn't mind if he signs with the Heat....I bet $25 on the Heat to win it all and I got 20-1 odds on that. :dance:

cdash
07-08-2010, 01:11 AM
Yeah, he's re-signing with Cleveland.

PaceBalls
07-08-2010, 01:14 AM
So sick of Lebron, but for all those saying Dwayne and Lebron would not be able to coexist on the same team must not have watched the olympics. They play very well together and would be favored to win the next 5 championships, even without Bosh.

Merz
07-08-2010, 01:15 AM

Is there really that much of a difference between being in the division and being in the conference.

pwee31
07-08-2010, 01:16 AM
I think this will be a fun experiment, b/c the expectations for this team will be HUGE! If they were to still lose to a team like the Celtics, Magic, or Bulls now with Boozer, if would be an utter disappointment.

Hoop
07-08-2010, 01:17 AM
Oh, damn. Heat are going to be almost impossibly good, if this is true.
Why?

Bosh is still soft, they will still need some players to do the dirty work.

Wade and LeBron still need the ball in their hands, neither have ever played much without dominating the ball.

Just because they are good friends is no guarantee that they will have good chemisty on the floor.

It takes more than 3 players to win a championship. It takes a team with chemistry and the right role players in the right places.

tadscout
07-08-2010, 01:17 AM
Miami, meet Earl Watson... (prediction where Earl signs)

ksuttonjr76
07-08-2010, 01:18 AM

I can see it.

GO!!!!!
07-08-2010, 01:18 AM
If it's true, they are gonna be a fun team to watch....

Magic P
07-08-2010, 01:19 AM
Is there really that much of a difference between being in the division and being in the conference.

Yeah he can only kick our *** 2-3 times a year instead of 4. Also i think Cleveland would suck without him and we can be the 2nd or 3rd best team in the division and get that coveted 7th-8th seed.

BornReady
07-08-2010, 01:19 AM

haha we'll even throw in TJ for free!

GO!!!!!
07-08-2010, 01:22 AM
Alan Hahn of Newsday wrote on Twitter early Thursday morning that several sources are now putting LeBron James in Miami with Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh.

We have speculated that the three have had a pact to play together for some time, and this report is from a fairly reliable source in Hahn and Newsday.

That said, it's still quite possible bad information is being floated around by different parties involved in the pursuit of LeBron. But the Heat suddenly look like a favorite again.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NBA

Merz
07-08-2010, 01:27 AM
Yeah he can only kick our *** 2-3 times a year instead of 4. Also i think Cleveland would suck without him and we can be the 2nd or 3rd best team in the division and get that coveted 7th-8th seed.

That is incorrect...He can kick our *** 3-4 times a year (2 games are played against out of conference teams). It doesn't matter if the Pacers are 2nd or 3rd in the division if they are still 9th in the conference.

I'd take that 1 more game every 3-4 years for him to be on a worse team.

Sollozzo

We played Miami 4 times last year

Rupert Stilinski
If this happens, as a fan it will be fun.

If you're a basketball fan anyway. Not if you're a fan of any other team competing with the Heat though.

pwee31
07-08-2010, 01:28 AM

I think so, maybe not a major difference but definitely a difference. For one the top team in the division gets an automatic playoff berth, with Lebron leaving Cleveland that leaves the Bulls and Bucks as the top competition.

It also means that 4 games against the Cavs just became more winnable within the division.

It definitely has an affect on the Magic, Hawks, Bobcats and maybe one year the Wizards when it comes to seeding come playoff time as well.

With the Cavs out of the equation I personally think it opens up another playoff spot b/c I don't see the them being very good without Lebron

Once again not the biggest effects, but still enough to matter

tadscout
07-08-2010, 01:28 AM
That said, it's still quite possible bad information is being floated around by different parties involved in the pursuit of LeBron. But the Heat suddenly look like a favorite again.

Yeah this could be bad info thrown out by Lebron's marketing firm just to drive up the suspense... I wouldn't put it past those self centered egotistical jerks...

Merz
07-08-2010, 01:31 AM
I think so, maybe not a major difference but definitely a difference. For one the top team in the division gets an automatic playoff berth, with Lebron leaving Cleveland that leaves the Bulls and Bucks as the top competition.

It also means that 4 games against the Cavs just became more winnable within the division.

It definitely has an affect on the Magic, Hawks, Bobcats and maybe one year the Wizards when it comes to seeding come playoff time as well.

With the Cavs out of the equation I personally think it opens up another playoff spot b/c I don't see the them being very good without Lebron

Once again not the biggest effects, but still enough to matter

Thus the qualifier "that much" in my post. The effects are really not "that much" in the scheme of things involving the Pacers.

Sollozzo
07-08-2010, 01:31 AM
BTW that story says he is "leaning" towards Miami. The thread title makes it seem like it's a sure thing.

I'm still not believing anything till I see it. It seems like everyone has been a front-runner at one point or another.

Magic P
07-08-2010, 01:34 AM
That is incorrect...He can kick our *** 3-4 times a year (2 games are played against out of conference teams). It doesn't matter if the Pacers are 2nd or 3rd in the division if they are still 9th in the conference.

I'd take that 1 more game every 3-4 years for him to be on a worse team.

Yeah i realized that after i hit post.

Anywho, Miami will have scrubs around the "bigger 3" i don't think they sniff the finals. Howard or Garnett would abuse Bosh. Orlando has the O to stay with them and Boston has the D to stop Lebron and Wade on the perimeter. They will be a good team don't get me wrong.

tadscout
07-08-2010, 01:35 AM
BTW that story says he is "leaning" towards Miami. The thread title makes it seem like it's a sure thing.

I'm still not believing anything till I see it. It seems like everyone has been a front-runner at one point or another.

Yeah, Hahn reported it as a decision...

The new Newsday "leaning" edit seems to be a covering their butt move if Lebron's group is playing people...

pwee31
07-08-2010, 01:35 AM

In all fairness to the poster. It said Lebron to Pick Miami when first posted. It looks like it was updated

tadscout
07-08-2010, 01:39 AM
In all fairness to the poster. It said Lebron to Pick Miami when first posted. It looks like it was updated

It was... seems Newsday is covering their butt, just in case...

I don't blame them, I wouldn't put anything past Lebron and his marketing firm to do any tricks to build up the hype and suspense for tomorrow night's show.

PaceBalls
07-08-2010, 01:40 AM
Yeah i realized that after i hit post.

Anywho, Miami will have scrubs around the "bigger 3" i don't think they sniff the finals. Howard or Garnett would abuse Bosh. Orlando has the O to stay with them and Boston has the D to stop Lebron and Wade on the perimeter. They will be a good team don't get me wrong.

All they really need are a few shooters and guys to give up fouls. Dwayne can play 3 positions, including PG, Lebron can play all five positions and Bosh can play the 3 big positions. Chalmers and say Earl Watson would be perfect for the other guards. Bring D-leaguers for the rest and it's all good.

ndcoltsnpacers
07-08-2010, 01:45 AM
I don't get it, why are so many people saying this Heat team won't even get out of the Eastern Conference Playoffs? LeBrons been playing with scrubs for years now and always makes a deep push into the playoffs. Now he's got Wade and Bosh (potentially).

I wonder how many decent vets will being willing to go to South Florida and play for peanuts alongside that trio and win a couple rings?

tadscout
07-08-2010, 01:45 AM
@chadfordinsider (http://twitter.com/chadfordinsider/status/18011933127) RT @mhaubs Sources tell me Bron currently dining w/Amare in NY, playing softball in Akron, mtg w/Riles in Mia & visiting LLohan in LA jail 18 minutes ago

:laugh:

Magic P
07-08-2010, 01:51 AM
All they really need are a few shooters and guys to give up fouls. Dwayne can play 3 positions, including PG, Lebron can play all five positions and Bosh can play the 3 big positions. Chalmers and say Earl Watson would be perfect for the other guards. Bring D-leaguers for the rest and it's all good.

That's a huge gamble for a team looking to make a deep playoff run. Imagine if they have to go through the Magic and Celtics to reach the finals just to play the Lakers. Those teams are deep and i don't see any team with scrubs winning a ring. Having a bench is crucial to winning a ring.

Sollozzo
07-08-2010, 01:53 AM
Broussard and Bucher both saying they are hearing Miami.

http://twitter.com/Chris_Broussard/status/18012672982

http://twitter.com/RicBucher/status/18010978437

rexnom
07-08-2010, 02:02 AM
I think LeBron is making the wrong choice. Chicago offers a much better team for him.

tadscout
07-08-2010, 02:04 AM
If Mario Chalmers isn't in a S&T for Bosh he should be looking forward to a good haul from Lebron for his Jersey number...

Sollozzo
07-08-2010, 02:15 AM
Lebron, Wade, Bosh, and a roster full of NBDL players is better than Lebron going to Chicago. Those three not only make a boat load of field goals but also get to the free throw line constantly. It will be so hard to outscore them. These are three of the best players of their era who are in the prime of their careers and just want to win. They will make it work.

I didn't think Lebron would go to Miami because I thought a guy with as big an ego as his wouldn't like going somewhere where he will always be second in the fans' hearts. But if he goes to Miami then that whole angle was just a creation of the media and really doesn't matter to him. I'm sure he's probably tired of having unreliable teammates and after seeing Kobe reload with Gasol and the Big 3 join up in Boston he wants to finally play with some stars himself. If he goes to Miami, he can hoop with his buddies and reek havoc on the league.

tadscout
07-08-2010, 02:24 AM
Lebron, Wade, Bosh, and a roster full of NBDL players is better than Lebron going to Chicago. Those three not only make a boat load of field goals but also get to the free throw line constantly.

:eek: just thinking of the officiating vs that team is going to give me nightmares... every team will be guaranteed a couple players fouled out a game.

Ozwalt72
07-08-2010, 02:33 AM
Absolutely no post defense. Miami filling out with minimum contract players? Wow. I hope this is what happens. I really do. I want to see 3 of the best players in the league all upset that they can't win in the finals.

tadscout
07-08-2010, 02:33 AM
ESPN's @Chris_Broussard is saying LeBron 2 Miami. I had 1 source say its 90%
16 minutes ago via UberTwitter

Via- J.A. Adande (http://twitter.com/jadande/status/18014319808)

tadscout
07-08-2010, 02:35 AM
Absolutely no post defense. Miami filling out with minimum contract players? Wow. I hope this is what happens. I really do. I want to see 3 of the best players in the league all upset that they can't win in the finals.

Give them 2 years to fill out with draft picks and exception players...

ndcoltsnpacers
07-08-2010, 02:48 AM

I don't think Bosh is necassarily a defensive slouch. I think a lot of problems he may have been having in Toronto could be blamed on his teammates. Actually I read an article from foxsportsohio about bringing him to Cleveland and the writer pretty much agreed. Here it is actually:

4. Some have said that Bosh doesn't play any defense. After Shaq scored 45 on the Raptors in 2009 and Bosh complained that he was camping in the lane and 3 seconds should have been called, Shaq said those were "strong words coming from the RuPaul of the NBA." So much of defense, though, depends on matchups and team defense -- who helps, and how often? If LeBron (or someone else) is coming from the backside to block shots above the square, it's OK to give up baseline on a spin move. If a team has dangerous spot-up shooters and big men who are good passers, it's more important to be able to play tight, one-on-one post defense. Guys like Bosh and Dwight Howard and Kevin Garnett are going to score from 10 feet and in; that's an inevitable fact. It's when Kendrick Perkins and Marcin Gortat are scoring that you have a problem. The Raptors as a team just didn't play any defense, so without the help of game tape and people who knew exactly what defensive philosophy Toronto was supposed to be employing it's hard to fairly judge Bosh as a defender. So here's how you judge him: He's long, athletic and if LeBron says go get him and pay him that big pile of money, then right now he's a darn good defender. Right now, that's what this whole thing is about.

Its gonna be Bosh and a couple vet minimum low post speed bumps just to keep the opposing team out of reach of their scoring fest. They'll make Dwight Howard hit free throws, Bosh I think has the ability to defend KG and Gasol well enough if he's not worried about his teams blown assignments.

IndyJones
07-08-2010, 03:17 AM
Just because they are good friends is no guarantee that they will have good chemisty on the floor.

What do you mean? It worked well for Al Harrington and JO didn't it? Oh wait...

rexnom
07-08-2010, 03:23 AM
Why?

Bosh is still soft, they will still need some players to do the dirty work.

Wade and LeBron still need the ball in their hands, neither have ever played much without dominating the ball.

It takes more than 3 players to win a championship. It takes a team with chemistry and the right role players in the right places.
What about playing for nearly five years together on the U.S. Olympic Team? Does that do anything for them?

d_c
07-08-2010, 03:27 AM
That's a huge gamble for a team looking to make a deep playoff run. Imagine if they have to go through the Magic and Celtics to reach the finals just to play the Lakers. Those teams are deep and i don't see any team with scrubs winning a ring. Having a bench is crucial to winning a ring.

Sure, but adding a bench isn't the hard part. Remember when the Celts initially got the big 3 of KG, Pierce and Allen. They had to give up a lot of pieces to get KG. People immediately started raising questions about their bench depth. Turns out they did just fine finding the pieces for that.

Give the Heat another season when they'll have both their MLE and LLE. Then they can also find some guys who are willing to take a ride for the vet minimum to get a ring. Boom.

That would be a very, very difficult team to beat.

Hillman's 'Fro'
07-08-2010, 05:59 AM
LBJ to Miami ?

If so, get ready for the jags on ESPN to be even more insufferable
(if that's possible) than they already are. And, we can pretty much
pencil in the nat'l tv schedule for both ESPN/ABC and TNT for the
2010-11 season.

It'll be MIA vs whomever at least twice a week (on the bright side,
I guess that means that the Pacers may have an outside shot at
a nat'l TV game vs MIA IF the Bulls, Celts, Magic and Knicks are off that
night).

Young
07-08-2010, 07:52 AM
Wow don't know what to think about Lebron in Miami. Wonder who all they will sign if this is true.

I would much rather see him go to the Cavs, Knicks, or Nets. With Lebron on one of those 3 teams the playoffs would be real fun to watch in the East with whoever Lebron is on and the Bulls, Heat, Celtics, and Magic.

QuickRelease
07-08-2010, 08:01 AM
Breaking News: The NBA has approved playing with 2 balls in all Miami Heat games for the upcoming season to accommodate the new big 3.

Pacersalltheway10
07-08-2010, 08:20 AM

yeah The central division will be wide open and possibly after next year the Pacers could be contending for a central division title. division winners are seeded no lower than 4th in the conference.

Pacersalltheway10
07-08-2010, 08:27 AM
so who is going to get the ball most of the times? I don't think this will cause chemistry problems but maybe some frustratiuon.

jhondog28
07-08-2010, 08:28 AM
All it takes is one injury. Just saying

Unclebuck
07-08-2010, 08:33 AM
The Heat will be good for sure. Guaranteed at least 58 wins. But it is the playoffs that matter. They will need a couple of really good shooters and a player downlow who will do the dirty work. Haslin would be great and an excellent shooting pt guard would be perfect for them. Magic and Celtics will be right there with them

On a more general point I'm not sure the heat fans deserve this team, sort of wish they would have teamed up somewhere else

owl
07-08-2010, 08:43 AM
Lebron, Wade, Bosh, and a roster full of NBDL players is better than Lebron going to Chicago. Those three not only make a boat load of field goals but also get to the free throw line constantly. It will be so hard to outscore them. These are three of the best players of their era who are in the prime of their careers and just want to win. They will make it work.

I didn't think Lebron would go to Miami because I thought a guy with as big an ego as his wouldn't like going somewhere where he will always be second in the fans' hearts. But if he goes to Miami then that whole angel was just a creation of the media and really doesn't matter to him. I'm sure he's probably tired of having unreliable teammates and after seeing Kobe reload with Gasol and the Big 3 join up in Boston he wants to finally play with some stars himself. If he goes to Miami, he can hoop with his buddies and reek havoc on the league.

I think you hit the nail on the head. This all about unseating Kobe and setting himself up
for a run at multiple titles.

thefeistyone
07-08-2010, 08:59 AM
If Lebron was trying to take a little pressure off of himself I'm not sure if signing with the heat would be the best move. His excuse up till now has been lack of supporting cast. If he goes to the heat that excuse will be long gone.

Personally I would rather him stay with cleveland and have them go after Paul. I just think that would be more interesting from a fan stand point.

Oh well, at least it's fun watch the knicks get left out with nothing but Amare

odeez
07-08-2010, 09:17 AM
If true, Cleveland fans are crying their eyes out today!

sportfireman
07-08-2010, 09:22 AM
Well there goes the neighborhood. :scared:

Slick Pinkham
07-08-2010, 09:45 AM
I recall a radio interview with Pat Riley a year or two ago discussing Lebron James and Riles made it clear that in his opinion Lebron's best position was point guard. If this comes to fruition, I see

PG James
SG Wade
SF Beasley
PF Bosh

These 4 plus Chalmers would take them up to the cap, so they could use the MLE on a defensive-oriented Center, perhaps Haywood.

Then they have the lower level exception for a multiposition bench guy like Mike Miller.

Then they have vet minimum salary slots for vets chasing a ring, perhaps Brad Miller, Oberto, Iverson, Richard Jefferson, Duhon, McGrady, Haslem, Ridnour, Arroyo, Alston, Watson, Lowry, Scola, Nate Robinson, etc.

Can they convince 4 or five of these guys to take vet min dollars? Well, if Pat Riley is doing the persuading, I think so.

Swish
07-08-2010, 09:56 AM
Wouldn't be surprised if this is fake information released by ESPN to drive viewership of this special.

dal9
07-08-2010, 09:56 AM
The Heat will be good for sure. Guaranteed at least 58 wins. But it is the playoffs that matter. \

where do you get that number? you make it sound so exact...
by the way, I would bet higher, in the regular season, although, I thought Payton and Malone would work with the Lakers, too

tsm612
07-08-2010, 09:58 AM
If true, Cleveland fans are crying their eyes out today!

So are Magic fans.

DocHolliday
07-08-2010, 10:04 AM
Gotta love the "WHOAMG NEXT 5 CHAMPIONSHIPZ!!!1" posts on here. I'd be surprised if they make the Finals. I'm not sold on Bosh in a playoff series. James has shown that he can crumble. Wade will have to carry those two. He could but I doubt it's possible for more than a game or two.

Slick Pinkham
07-08-2010, 10:14 AM
A hypothetical 15-man roster:

PG: Lebron James, Carlos Arroyo, Nate Robinson
SG: Duane Wade, Mike Miller, Quentin Richardson
SF: Michael Beasley, De’Sean Butler, Jarvis Varnado (Butler & Varnado were 2nd round picks this year)
PF: Chris Bosh, Udonis Haslem
C: Brendan Haywood, Brad Miller, Theo Ratliff, Dexter Pittman (2nd round pick this year)

Lots of vets would have to settle for minimum salaries, but such a roster would be pretty formidable, even the bench IMO.

graphic-er
07-08-2010, 10:14 AM
LeFraud's new motto: If you can't beat'em, join em!

Swish
07-08-2010, 10:54 AM
Check this out:

Your Miami HEAT is set to rock the NBA world with blockbuster player moves during the HEAT Summer of 2010. Be among the first HEAT fans to sport the jersey of our next new superstar! Pre-order a HEAT NEW adult replica jersey right now! Quantities are limited so don’t wait!

http://www.miamihoopsgear.com/miami/assets/product_images/PACIADANNIIKDPIK.jpg

http://www.miamihoopsgear.com/miami/product.asp?s_id=0&prod_name=adidas+NEW+Miami+HEAT+New+Superstar+Adul t+Black+Replica+Jersey&pf_id=PACIADANNIIKDPIK&dept_id=3043

Eh?

MLB007
07-08-2010, 11:06 AM
So sick of Lebron, but for all those saying Dwayne and Lebron would not be able to coexist on the same team must not have watched the olympics. They play very well together and would be favored to win the next 5 championships, even without Bosh.

No they wouldn't.
Explain how that team would deal with the Lakers front line?
And they won't have enough money left to pay for any decent kind of supporting cast.
Bosh is soft. Lebron is mostly perimeter.
Very good, yes.
Unbeatable. Sure don't look it to me.
Only 1 guy at a time can have the ball. Lebron James or James James, if he don't have the ball, he can't hurt you.

MLB007
07-08-2010, 11:12 AM
IF Lebron signs with the Heat, his legacy will be that he WASN"T good enough to pull a team by himself.
That he had to make a "stacked team" to win it all.

There's always two kinds of guys playing hoops for fun. Those that like it best when they get the 5 best players and run rampant over the other guys, running up the score and having a high old time.
And then there's those that would rather see the teams equally talented, because it's all about the competition and who wants it more.
I always was in the 2nd group and always thought the ones that chose group 1 were mostly selfish and not really willing to take the big challenges head on when there was an easier way.

This is no different.

He would be lessening his legacy no matter how many titles he won with his 'superstars' team.
JMO

graphic-er
07-08-2010, 11:17 AM
Is Lebron and Bosh willing to set screens for Wade? Thats all that mattters for team chemistry. If its going to be Wade with the ball and Lebron just stand there until its his turn to iso, then its not going to work.

Speed
07-08-2010, 11:17 AM
I agree, a Heat signing damages the Lebron legacy and the Lebron Brand name, at least in the short term. I'd assume people in Ohio will villify him for decades. Other franchises that he shunned won't be big fans either. I'd go so far to say, he'll get booed in NY, Clev, Chi, maybe even NJ, next year if this is his play.

Ironic that, to me, his smartest move legacy wise is staying in Cleveland, but if he never wins a title it would also be his worse.

Tough call.

graphic-er
07-08-2010, 11:22 AM
Same could be said that if these 3 went out and won 3-4 titles in a span of 5 years that they would be known as the greatest team ever. So a new legacy over just the Lebron James legacy.

nyballer31
07-08-2010, 11:37 AM
I think it matters how he wins those titles.If he goes out the and scores 27 points in the fourth quarter in game 7 of the finals when his team was down by 10 entering the 4th and pull out the win , I don't think anybody will think less of him playing with Wade to win a title.

Brad8888
07-08-2010, 11:42 AM
Additional Breaking News:

Despite previous league denials of actual rule changes with respect to travelling violations, the new rules will be in effect whenever the Miami Heat are on offense for the foreseeable future to "enhance the creativity" of marquee players and "provide a more enjoyable fan experience". Look for 5 step moves being implemented intead of the 4 currently allowable. However, this is simply a contingency plan, pending the outcome of the cliffhanging "Choice of The King" special to be aired tonight on BSPN.

dohman
07-08-2010, 11:50 AM
Here is my question.

If he does go to miami and its lebron vs wade for the scoring title. Are the going to freeze each other out of the offense :)

PaceBalls
07-08-2010, 11:54 AM
No they wouldn't.
And they won't have enough money left to pay for any decent kind of supporting cast.
Very good, yes.
Only 1 guy at a time can have the ball. Lebron James or James James, if he don't have the ball, he can't hurt you.

We will have to see what role players they get, but even with sub par filler players they would still be one of the best teams in the league. I really don't think Wade and Lebron would have issues with sharing the ball. The olympic team didn't seem to have any problems with ball sharing, and they also had other ball dominating players like Carmello or Chris Paul. I mean who knows, we'll just have to see. It will certainly be interesting to watch.

Gamble1
07-08-2010, 11:55 AM
No they wouldn't.
Very good, yes.
What are you talking about?

James averaged 8.6 apg. Wade averaged 6.6 apg. They can and will move the ball so others can score.

Have you already forgot why the Lakers got Artest cheap. Vets want rings and if they have already made their money then they will sign for a lower salary.

Speed
07-08-2010, 11:56 AM
Heat MUST find a low post defensive-minded bigman. With or without Lebron.

count55
07-08-2010, 12:01 PM
I agree, a Heat signing damages the Lebron legacy and the Lebron Brand name, at least in the short term. I'd assume people in Ohio will villify him for decades. Other franchises that he shunned won't be big fans either. I'd go so far to say, he'll get booed in NY, Clev, Chi, maybe even NJ, next year if this is his play.

Ironic that, to me, his smartest move legacy wise is staying in Cleveland, but if he never wins a title it would also be his worse.

Tough call.

I don't care about any of that.

I think LeBron signing in Miami makes the conversation boring and predictable for the next several years - whether they succeed wildly or fall flat on their face.

I find nothing at all compelling about the idea of these three players playing together. I have no sense that this could be a transcendent team. I do not expect a glorious blending of these players' skills. I expect it to be a succession of impressive solo performances that, while impressive and likely successful, are somewhat artless, perhaps even joyless.

I am not saying that this should not happen. I am not saying that Miami should not do it. If the Pacers were offered the opportunity to throw everything away and start over with LeBron/Wade/Bosh, then the only sensible answer is, "**** Yeah."

I'm just saying that LeBron going to Miami, in my mind, will take a lot of the fun out the NBA for a few years.

pacergod2
07-08-2010, 12:02 PM
Lebron James is a douchebag.

DrBadd01
07-08-2010, 12:09 PM
Make it stop!! :picard:

I agree please make it stop!

Slick Pinkham
07-08-2010, 12:10 PM
I don't much care for Bosh as a team player, but anyone who characterizes Wade and Lebron as selfish ballhogs who are only happy making one-on-one plays has some seriously clouded vision. These two guys combined for over 15 assists per game when they basically had no decent options about where to pass the ball.

Given them some complementary shooters and a defensive-minded center and they will be hard to stop. I find that very good unselfish teams are fun to watch, and having star power obviously gets the attention even of average Joe on the street.

I will be rooting against them but definitely I will be watching.

pacergod2
07-08-2010, 12:18 PM
I don't much care for Bosh as a team player, but anyone who characterizes Wade and Lebron as selfish ballhogs who are only happy making one-on-one plays has some seriously clouded vision. These two guys combined for over 15 assists per game when they basically had no decent options about where to pass the ball.

Given them some complementary shooters and a defensive-minded center and they will be hard to stop. I find that very good unselfish teams are fun to watch, and having star power obviously gets the attention even of average Joe on the street.

I have to completely disagree with you about Lebron. Wade is an excellent game manager and passer. Lebron is NOT. Lebron makes the players around him worse. He can't play off the ball, either. He dominates the possessions so much that its isolation basketball. It is hard to not have 7 assists per game when the ball is in your hands 95% of the game. Lebron needs to mature significantly as a basketball player (not as an athlete) if he wants to win. Lebron is the greatest athlete to ever play basketball.

Slick Pinkham
07-08-2010, 12:37 PM
http://upnextinsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/lebronjames.jpg

:)

IUfan4life
07-08-2010, 12:43 PM
according to Jared Dudley Lebron is going to the Knicks.

http://www.tmz.com/2010/07/07/tmz-live-jared-dudley-lebron-james-nba-new-york-knicks/

Magic P
07-08-2010, 12:48 PM
according to Jared Dudley Lebron is going to the Knicks.

http://www.tmz.com/2010/07/07/tmz-live-jared-dudley-lebron-james-nba-new-york-knicks/

Who??? :confused:

Is that the subway guy?

Slick Pinkham
07-08-2010, 12:50 PM
from the TMZ article: "Phoenix Suns superstar Jared Dudley"

:eek:

Jared Dudley is about as likely to be a superstar as Troy Murphy is likely to become Peck's favorite defensive enforcer/ paint monster who redefines the power forward position.

d_c
07-08-2010, 12:55 PM
The Heat will be good for sure. Guaranteed at least 58 wins. But it is the playoffs that matter. They will need a couple of really good shooters and a player downlow who will do the dirty work. Haslin would be great and an excellent shooting pt guard would be perfect for them. Magic and Celtics will be right there with them

On a more general point I'm not sure the heat fans deserve this team, sort of wish they would have teamed up somewhere else

Because they don't have the room for much maneuverability right now, it may take them a year, but it could pretty much be over for everyone once it happens. Next year, they have the full MLE as well as the LLE. They could easily sign their shooter and dirty work bigman with that. Then sign some vet guys for the minimum looking for a ring.

Remember how everyone questioned Boston's bench depth when they gave up a lot to get KG. Boston showed that bench depth isn't that hard to find, especially when you have 3 superstars to make them better. Guys like Big Baby, Leon Powe, Eddie House and PJ Brown on his last legs did extremely well.

Heat fans probably don't deserve this, but you gotta hand it to Pat Riley. He thought big and had this moment planned for quite a long time.

count55
07-08-2010, 12:57 PM

To clarify, when I say "succession of solo performances," I do not intend to say that Wade or LeBron were selfish ballhogs. Far from it.

What I meant to say was that I have a difficult time seeing how this meshes. For lack of a really good analogy, I'd say it's like having a band with two virtuoso, headlining, ticket selling lead guitarists. I expect everything to be almost subconsciously structure to make sure that each of the two get their solos.

It doesn't matter if the two are great guys who get along and genuinely are more concerned for the band. In fact, that will probably make it more likely that the band as a whole will try to give them their due. The problem is that the skill sets are too duplicative, and the music becomes, while technically great - perhaps even perfect - repetitive, boring, and lifeless. Or worse, you end up with two guitar solos at the same time, generally walking all over each other

I have a great deal of respect for both Wade and James. I have absolutely zero desire to watch them play together for the next five or six years. I do not think that they will mesh without one or both of them significantly changing their games, and I have no real desire to see either of them significantly change their games.

I don't see these two meshing the way these guys did:

Magic-Kareem-Worthy
Julius-Moses
Bird-McHale-Johnson
Jordan-Pippen
Shaq-Kobe
Duncan-Parker-Manu
Kobe-Gasol

I think the NBA is more compelling, and the narrative more interesting, with these two competing against each other, than it is with them as teammates.

I fully recognize that the vast majority of this point of view is bull****. But, hey, that's what matters of taste are. They are the bull**** that we like, most often viscerally as opposed to rationally. I am not saying this is "Bad for the NBA or basketball or puppies."

I'm simply saying that I find the thought of it largely disappointing - from a personal enjoyment perspective.

Granville
07-08-2010, 12:58 PM
I can't get rid of this nagging feeling that he and his camp are just leaking Miami as a way to make Cleveland love him even more when he announces that in the end, he just couldn't leave his hometown and that he is staying.

If he does break up with Cleveland on national TV his new nickname should be Jason Mesnick.

grace
07-08-2010, 01:25 PM
Breaking News

http://www.pantherracing.com/news/index.cfm?cid=38450

PANTHER RACING UNABLE TO SECURE CONTRACT WITH LEBRON JAMES FOR 2011 IZOD INDYCAR SERIES SEASON

http://www.pacersdigest.com/images/content/story/2010 Lebron Story - COVER.jpg

National Guard Panther Team Fails in Attempt to Sign Reigning NBA Most Valuable Player
INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. - (July 8, 2010) – Panther Racing regrets to announce today that it was unable to come to a contract agreement with reigning NBA Most Valuable Player LeBron James, who plans to announce his future destination live on ESPN this evening at 9 p.m. (EST). Several attempts to reach James’ agent were unsuccessful as Panther Racing management had hoped to lure LeBron to Indianapolis to sign with the two-time IZOD IndyCar Series champions.

The team intended to add James in 2011 as a teammate to current No. 4 National Guard driver and former Indianapolis 500 winner Dan Wheldon.
“I think, like a lot of teams, we really felt like it was our obligation to give our best efforts to sign LeBron to join Panther Racing,” team co-owner John Barnes said. “He’s a tremendous athlete and obviously he would have been a great addition to both Panther and the IZOD IndyCar Series, but we knew it was a long shot going into negotiations. We wish LeBron and his family all the best in his future endeavors and hope that when he hits the free agent market again he’ll consider Panther Racing.”

mildlysane
07-08-2010, 01:27 PM
....There's always two kinds of guys playing hoops for fun. Those that like it best when they get the 5 best players and run rampant over the other guys, running up the score and having a high old time.
And then there's those that would rather see the teams equally talented, because it's all about the competition and who wants it more.
I always was in the 2nd group and always thought the ones that chose group 1 were mostly selfish and not really willing to take the big challenges head on when there was an easier way....

I agree and add a 3rd type...the type that likes to beat everyone else with the least amount of talent on his team. That type would stay in Cleveland and try to beat the new "top teams". The "I cannot beat you, so I will join you" path is weak. But, whatever.....I think that I would enjoy a Championship better if I won as an underdog, then to be on a team that could sleep the regular season away along with half the playoffs, and still be favored to win. Reminds me of the Yankees. Just buy all the best players. Wow, won a Championship! Well, duh! You have all the best players! Sorry for the rant.

edit: I know he has tried that route in Cleveland and it hasn't worked...yet. They were close, tho'...

BillS
07-08-2010, 01:33 PM
Breaking News

PANTHER RACING UNABLE TO SECURE CONTRACT WITH LEBRON JAMES FOR 2011 IZOD INDYCAR SERIES SEASON

OK, now THAT is fricking hilarious.

Kegboy
07-08-2010, 01:36 PM
Breaking News

http://www.pacersdigest.com/images/content/story/2010 Lebron Story - COVER.jpg

National Guard Panther Team Fails in Attempt to Sign Reigning NBA Most Valuable Player
INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. - (July 8, 2010) – Panther Racing regrets to announce today that it was unable to come to a contract agreement with reigning NBA Most Valuable Player LeBron James, who plans to announce his future destination live on ESPN this evening at 9 p.m. (EST). Several attempts to reach James’ agent were unsuccessful as Panther Racing management had hoped to lure LeBron to Indianapolis to sign with the two-time IZOD IndyCar Series champions.

The team intended to add James in 2011 as a teammate to current No. 4 National Guard driver and former Indianapolis 500 winner Dan Wheldon.
“I think, like a lot of teams, we really felt like it was our obligation to give our best efforts to sign LeBron to join Panther Racing,” team co-owner John Barnes said. “He’s a tremendous athlete and obviously he would have been a great addition to both Panther and the IZOD IndyCar Series, but we knew it was a long shot going into negotiations. We wish LeBron and his family all the best in his future endeavors and hope that when he hits the free agent market again he’ll consider Panther Racing.”

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?p=1031737#post1031737

MLB007
07-08-2010, 01:38 PM
We will have to see what role players they get, but even with sub par filler players they would still be one of the best teams in the league. I really don't think Wade and Lebron would have issues with sharing the ball. The olympic team didn't seem to have any problems with ball sharing, and they also had other ball dominating players like Carmello or Chris Paul. I mean who knows, we'll just have to see. It will certainly be interesting to watch.

I think the Olympics are a different thing. It's about national pride and representing your country and all that.
It's not the bread and butter of the NBA season where these guys immense ego's need to be regularly stroked. They put aside their "normal" roles for a FEW games.
See if they can supplant their egos for a 100 game season is a different thing.
And Garnett and Allen and Pierce are all much further along in age and career. They were't "best in the league" (at their positions) any more, though VERY good.
I wouldn't say it was guarenteed that they'd have been able to do it 5 years earlier in their careers.

One of the best teams, no doubt.
But I wouldn't engrave the trophy just yet.

Sollozzo
07-08-2010, 05:49 PM
Ric Bucher is tweeting that his sources are saying it's not Miami.

http://twitter.com/RicBucher/status/18064564798

Wouldn't surprise me at all if the James camp floated Miami's name out there just to see what the reaction would be or so they could setup a massive twist tonight.

tadscout
07-08-2010, 05:54 PM

http://twitter.com/ricbucher

Wouldn't surprise me at all if the James camp floated Miami's name out there just to see what the reaction would be or so they could setup a massive twist tonight.

Val Buuucher!!!

Ozwalt72
07-08-2010, 06:00 PM

Hasn't that guy said that Lebron is signing with like...20 teams in 15 different leagues and 4 different sports? It's getting ridiculous.

Kamiyohk
07-08-2010, 09:32 PM
done deal