PDA

View Full Version : I don't care if it's just the summer league...

bphil
07-07-2010, 09:45 PM
...I'm freaking out excited about the rooks right now. That third quarter was 100% insane.

joew8302
07-07-2010, 10:07 PM
They look great. A notch below Jerryd Bayless and Marcus Banks summer league HOF level, but still.

I am not going to pee on anyones cheerios, but I am certainly not going to get too excited over summer league performances based on past summer league all stars.

Trader Joe
07-07-2010, 10:08 PM
I think we have a thread with a title just like this pretty much every year.

Day-V
07-07-2010, 10:08 PM
Heaven forbid fans get excited about the rookies.

joew8302
07-07-2010, 10:09 PM
Heaven forbid reality getting in the way of false hope.

focused444
07-07-2010, 10:12 PM
I thought I heard summer league was irrelevant somewhere...ehh, I forgot, probably not that important...

Kemo
07-07-2010, 10:14 PM
http://www.nba.com/pacers/photos/102673831_done.jpg

http://www.nba.com/pacers/photos/pacers_magic_100705_(4).jpg

:dance::dance::dance:

focused444
07-07-2010, 10:18 PM
Whaaaa! is he deliberately doing a star trek gesture in the top picture...

Hey Kemo, where are you getting these crystal clear photos from?

Day-V
07-07-2010, 10:25 PM
Heaven forbid reality getting in the way of false hope.

"Reality" is relative.

Suaveness
07-07-2010, 10:27 PM
O.M.G.

Major Cold
07-07-2010, 10:33 PM
I think it is ok to get excited about summer. Just don't complain when the players are not this appealing in the regular season. It is all about the setting.

Kemo
07-07-2010, 10:36 PM
Whaaaa! is he deliberately doing a star trek gesture in the top picture...

Hey Kemo, where are you getting these crystal clear photos from?

sorry ...

http://www.nba.com/pacers/photogallery/summer_2010_18.html

McKeyFan
07-07-2010, 10:36 PM
Sometimes people forget this is an internet message board.

I get to act like an adult in my real life.

Naptown_Seth
07-07-2010, 11:00 PM
Come on McKeyFan, not all net sites are created equal. One of the appeals of PD for me is the sanity and maturity of much of the discussion. I like to take pride in being the fans that don't go buy jerseys of guys solely on summer games or hype or whatever.

I mean the Pacers rolled but the PG of the future racked up 0 assists. Yesterday McBob blatantly took a "this is something we are working on" amount of threes. I was watching Boston/Charlotte and Henderson had been their scoring machine till today when he spent the entire 1st quarter passing up shots and letting them try to work up some other guys to get a better feel for them.

This is what happens in summer, just like spring training baseball (which I go to nearly every year). Teams and players are working on things and those things aren't always in line with trying to win the game. They want to see what players can do or can't do, they want to work on some new strategies, they want to try out some new roles for players. And that's just the coaches.

The players also have a major "I must make them notice" agenda going which means they can't risk just setting picks and playing good defense.

It's like playing poker with fake money - everyone is trying to be hero and going for stuff they'd never touch during real games.

Here's what we know:

Lance is a solid ball handler for a SG, much more of a scorer than a setup guy at this point, can make some nice passes, has size, too much pointless or risky flair

George is a smooth athlete who's awareness and overall game is very raw

McBob is being trained to shoot 3s and make passes from the high post, he's still a very athletic style PF who likes to get up and down the court and has good lateral quickness.

Rolle is the offensive version of Solomon Jones, or something of a Arthur clone. He could help from the deep bench which at his draft spot is a win.

It's not a crap group, but these guys are going to see the kind of bench time that Head, Josh and DJones saw last season.

Frankly this summer league ruined the Pacers for me when JOB got interviewed and reinforced every single negative view I have of him, including the needlessly caustic reaction to nicknames. Lighten up Francis.

BlueNGold
07-07-2010, 11:24 PM
Great post Seth. One pattern I'm beginning to see between the summer league and the regular season is that critical player weaknesses are sometimes not exposed in the summer league. Tyler might be an example, although I'm not sure of that. I assume it's because the opposing players are not really evaluated until it's time to get serious about victories versus just getting a taste for what their own prospects can do.

Anthem
07-07-2010, 11:37 PM
Lighten up Francis.
:laugh: Awesome on multiple levels.

Not least of which is that it applies to your own post as well. :flirt:

jeffg-body
07-07-2010, 11:37 PM
You just have to keep summer league in perspective. I know our guys are doing well, but remember they are rooks. When the regular season hits they will be facing stronger and quicker players who will have the advantage over these young guys. I am excited to see our drafted guys doing well, but I understand that during the season they will most likely be riding pine and continuing to work on their craft with the coaching staff throughout the year. They will also be hitting that weight room hard so they can get to the point where they are stronger and quicker than what they had when they came in the league. Just to hear positive things come out about these three kids and Mcbob makes me excited for the future of the franchise. Sorry to everyone about the tangenting on my part, Vicodin is a hell of a drug.

bphil
07-08-2010, 05:53 AM
The players also have a major "I must make them notice" agenda going which means they can't risk just setting picks and playing good defense.

Yeah, you're right. Seven steals in a single game from PG equates to him having no court awareness and not playing good defense.

Here's what I know...

1) PG can get the @#$% up, gets his hands on a lot of balls on D, and can shoot.

2) McRoberts has the potential to be much more versatile than I ever expected and has ridiculous athleticism.

3) Lance has a natural feel for the game that you can't teach.

4) I'm still glad that we didn't have to draft Gordon Hayward.

5) JOB sounded like a complete d-bag when talking about the nicknames.

6) Naptown_Seth has WAY too much time on his hands.

nerveghost
07-08-2010, 07:41 AM
All I need to know is that Stephenson, George and Rolle all look like legitimate NBA players.

McKeyFan
07-08-2010, 07:52 AM
Come on McKeyFan, not all net sites are created equal. One of the appeals of PD for me is the sanity and maturity of much of the discussion.

Frankly this summer league ruined the Pacers for me when JOB got interviewed and reinforced every single negative view I have of him, including the needlessly caustic reaction to nicknames. Lighten up Francis.

Dear Mr Indianapolis Town Seth:

I will herewith refrain from lighthearted, silly, fun, or childlike enthusiastic posts. They are irrelevant.

Derrick McKey Advocate

Unclebuck
07-08-2010, 08:24 AM
I hope this is my only comment about the summer league ever. I have watched the first half of each of the past two games and our three rookies look pretty good.

Does that mean anything for training camp, preseason, regular season. No. it means they look pretty good for summer league

Mark
07-08-2010, 08:37 AM
Out of curiousity what did JOB... pardon me James O'Brien say about nicknames?

McKeyFan
07-08-2010, 08:40 AM
Let me ask a question. Lebron James got a lot of hype, not in summer league, but in high school, which led to his being the number one draft pick.

Was the hype wrong?

bphil
07-08-2010, 08:44 AM
Let me ask a question. Lebron James got a lot of hype, not in summer league, but in high school, which led to his being the number one draft.

Was the hype wrong?

High school basketball is a MUCH higher grade of competition than summer league ball. The summer league is meaningless, remember?

owl
07-08-2010, 08:48 AM
When I watch those three draft picks I see talent. Forget the setting. Those three will
contribute this year for the Pacers. They will easily replace the three worst players on the team from last year. You decide who those three are.

sportfireman
07-08-2010, 08:57 AM
When I watch those three draft picks I see talent. Forget the setting. Those three will
contribute this year for the Pacers. They will easily replace the three worst players on the team from last year. You decide who those three are.

Solo< Roelle
Head, Diener(already gone)< Stephenson
Dunleavy< George............... YES I said it Dunleavy. I know Mike came off of a bad injury but last season he stunk on the court.

MagicRat
07-08-2010, 09:38 AM
That third quarter was 100% insane.

I kept waiting for Michael Grady to yell "WHO WANTS TO SEE A DUNK SHOW!!!!!!"....................:dance:

RonArtest
07-08-2010, 09:50 AM
http://www.nba.com/pacers/photos/102673831_done.jpg

http://www.nba.com/pacers/photos/pacers_magic_100705_(4).jpg

:dance::dance::dance:

Damn I love Lance and hope he makes the team...but he needs to lose some weight/body fat.

lil lebowsky
07-08-2010, 09:51 AM
...I'm freaking out excited about the rooks right now. That third quarter was 100% insane.

I know man! That 3rd quarter was off the chain. It was the best basketball that i've watched from the Pacers in sooooo long. I love watching these youngsters play, and i think as fans we should all be happy with the young talent that we have gotten from the draft this year. We could have two second round picks on the team this year and that is definitely a rarity.

I like seeing McRoberts style of game too. I knew what he could do from his college days, but in only 42 games under his belt last year, there are certain things that he does that go unnnoticed. He kinda plays like a point forward, similarl to Larar Odom's game. Not comparing him to Odom or anything, but that's just the first name that came up in my head. Oh and thank goodness we drafted George. He looked much better than Hayward lastnite.

Go Pacers

Kemo
07-08-2010, 02:18 PM
You just have to keep summer league in perspective. I know our guys are doing well, but remember they are rooks. When the regular season hits they will be facing stronger and quicker players who will have the advantage over these young guys. I am excited to see our drafted guys doing well, but I understand that during the season they will most likely be riding pine and continuing to work on their craft with the coaching staff throughout the year. They will also be hitting that weight room hard so they can get to the point where they are stronger and quicker than what they had when they came in the league. Just to hear positive things come out about these three kids and Mcbob makes me excited for the future of the franchise. Sorry to everyone about the tangenting on my part, Vicodin is a hell of a drug.

+1

and

Vicodin is a hell of a drug.

INDEED O'NEILL !!

http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachments/electric-off-road/548190d1264818810-hobao-hyper-9e-tealc-indeed.jpg

Kemo
07-08-2010, 02:21 PM
High school basketball is a MUCH higher grade of competition than summer league ball. The summer league is meaningless, remember?

LOL in that case... Lance should be a LeBron caliber player in the future...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lance_Stephenson

High school career

Stephenson first caught the attention of scouts at age 12, when Clark Francis, a talent evaluator, saw him play at Rumble in the Bronx AAU tournament. And before his first year of high school, he attended the Adidas ABCD Camp, where he challenged O.J. Mayo to a one-on-one game.[2]

In the summer of 2005, Stephenson enrolled at Bishop Loughlin Memorial High School, but he only attended the school for three days, before the school lost in the championship game of a youth league and he did not win the tournament MVP. The following week, Stephenson did not return to classes at Bishop Loughlin, and was attending Abraham Lincoln High School near his home in Coney Island.[2] National Basketball Association players Stephon Marbury and Sebastian Telfair had also attended and played basketball at Lincoln High. Head coach Dwanye Morton said, "{Stephenson} always talked about outdoing Sebastian, outdoing Stephon,", and called him "The best I've ever had at Lincoln."[3] Stephenson went on to lead the Railsplitters to the city title that year.

Lincoln High repeated as champions his sophomore and junior years, while Stephenson won back-to-back Player of the Year honors from the New York Daily News.[4]

In July 2008, Stephenson tried out for the United States national team's under-18 team, but was cut because of chemistry reasons.[2]

On February 15, 2009, Stephenson passed fellow Lincoln High School alumnus Telfair's previous record of 2,785 points in the Brooklyn borough title game to become the all-time leading scorer for high school basketball in New York State.[5] In March 2009, Stephenson led Lincoln High to an unprecedented fourth consecutive Public Schools Athletic League (PSAL) class AA championship. Stephenson scored a game-high 24 points and grabbed 10 rebounds to in the 78–56 final win against John F. Kennedy, and helped Lincoln become the first school in city history to win four straight titles.[3]

Stephenson's high school career ended in the New York State semifinal, where Rice High School beat Lincoln 77–50, and Stephenson was held to 12 points by Rice's Durand Scott, who also beat out Stephenson for the Daily News' New York City player of the year honor.[6] He ended his career with 2,946 points.[2]

In April 2009, Stephenson played in the McDonald's All-American Game, finishing with 12 points, six assists and three steals.[7] He was drafted on 6/24/2010 in the 2nd round of the NBA draft by the Indiana Pacers.