PDA

View Full Version : LeBron being sued by man claiming to be his father

Basketball Fan
07-07-2010, 08:04 PM
Despite what we think of LeBron even I don't think he deserves this

LeBron Sued by Man Claiming to be His Father

54 minutes ago by TMZ Staff

TMZ has learned ... LeBron James and his mother Gloria James are being sued for millions by a man who claims he tried to prove he's the NBA star's biological father -- but LeBron and his mom tampered with the evidence in a diabolical cover-up.

0707_lebron_gallery_launch_EX

The lawsuit is explosive -- in it, 55-year-old Leicester Bryce Stovell claims he met Gloria in a D.C. area bar in 1984 ... and had unprotected sex with her on the night they met. He later found out she was 15-years-old at the time ... he was 29.

According to the docs -- filed recently in federal court -- Gloria has spent the rest of her life shielding LeBron from the truth.

But the man making the claim isn't some schmuck -- dude is a Princeton graduate ... who earned a law degree from the University of Chicago ... and then became a Senior Legal Advisor for the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.

In his suit, Stovell claims he has a very clear recollection of the night he had "consensual sexual relations" with Gloria -- in fact, he even remembers apologizing for his sub-par performance.

0707_leicester_doc_EX_2

Leicester claims Gloria went back to her hometown in Ohio after they hooked up -- but returned several months later to inform him she was pregnant with a boy named LeBron ... but she never specifically identified the father.

Leicester -- a self-proclaimed high school star athlete -- says he remembers telling Gloria, "Well, if he's mine, make sure he plays basketball." He claims that was the last time he saw Gloria for more than 20 years.

According to the docs, Leicester claims he reconnected with Gloria over the phone in 2007 -- when he began to think he could be LeBron's father ... partly because they look almost identical.

Leicester claims during the 2007 phone call -- Gloria denied ever meeting him -- threatened to have him physically harmed -- and told him, "LeBron's money is for his children."

A few days after the phone call, Leicester claims LeBron -- through his lawyer -- agreed to take a DNA paternity test.

Leicester claims he was given results that showed he was not LeBron's dad ... but several months later, he began to suspect that the results were tampered with ... and Gloria and LeBron were behind the fraud.

So why would LeBron participate in such a cover-up? Leicester claims it's all, "due to anger at perceived abandonment and conflict arising from his image as a successful fatherless child from the projects."

He also claims that Gloria had "fabricated" a story about LeBron's real father for the "one dimensional commercial image-making purpose ... to make [LeBron's] life suggestive of Spike Lee's popular 1998 sports drama film, 'He Got Game.'"

Leicester is now seeking $4 million from both LeBron and his mother -- claiming fraud, defamation and misrepresentation.

And check this out -- Leicester also points out that LeBron named his 2nd son "Bryce" -- and claims it's no coincidence. As we said, Leicester's middle name is Bryce.

LeBron's reps could not be reached for comment.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2010/07/07/lebron-james-sued-leicester-bryce-stovell-gloria-james-lawsuit-basketball-mother-father-paternity-dna/#comments-anchor#ixzz0t2nzNVTH

Stryder
07-07-2010, 08:12 PM
Sounds like someone is batsh&t crazy. They always come out of the woodwork.

Trader Joe
07-07-2010, 08:12 PM
This could turn out to be all kinds of awesome...Imagine this guy crashing Lebron's show tomorrow...hilarity.

Trader Joe
07-07-2010, 08:16 PM
Also best part is the line about the sub-par performance. SO AWESOME.

NapTonius Monk
07-07-2010, 08:32 PM
Also best part is the line about the sub-par performance. SO AWESOME.:laugh:...So it must be true right? Cuz who would ever admit that unless it was true! A legal mind at it's best. This is almost as good as the lawsuit from the guy who claimed emotional damage from being a Michael Jordan lookalike.

http://s133702574.onlinehome.us/pictures/blog/jordansuit.jpg

Los Angeles
07-07-2010, 08:45 PM
Everything sounds fairly reasonable until I get to the $4 Million part. I'd like to hear why he thinks he's owed money. Perhaps the fraud led him to lose a high paying job or something?

ilive4sports
07-07-2010, 09:18 PM
I cant wait for LeBron to file a counter suit for defamation. I don't understand how this man can think he is owed money.

speakout4
07-07-2010, 09:23 PM
Everything sounds fairly reasonable until I get to the $4 Million part. I'd like to hear why he thinks he's owed money. Perhaps the fraud led him to lose a high paying job or something?
He thought he could make a few bucks with a stud service.

xBulletproof
07-07-2010, 09:32 PM
This could turn out to be all kinds of awesome...Imagine this guy crashing Lebron's show tomorrow...hilarity.

Wow. I don't care what you think of Lebron personally, this is just a disgusting comment.

No excuse.

Trader Joe
07-07-2010, 09:33 PM
How is that a disgusting comment?

odeez
07-07-2010, 09:38 PM
If he is his father, where the hell was he when LBJ was growing up. This dude is a money hungry clown!

Trader Joe
07-07-2010, 09:39 PM
If he is his father, where the hell was he when LBJ was growing up. This dude is a money hungry clown!

Probably trying to avoid going to jail for statutory.

odeez
07-07-2010, 09:41 PM
Probably trying to avoid going to jail for statutory.

Come on man?

Trader Joe
07-07-2010, 09:43 PM
That's offensive to you? It's the truth...That's the dark humor behind all of this, this guy starts out his claim for his money with something that is a FELONY.

Y'all need to grow some thicker skin yeesh. I'd hate to see what happens when you guys go watch a PG-13 movie.

Dude's crazy, sure. There's also some dark humor in the story. Yeah he's digging for money, but there's the whole wrinkle of the fact that this guy has two legitimate degrees, it's bizarre, and I'm shocked everyone's so offended by two comments that aren't even offensive.

Magic P
07-07-2010, 09:45 PM

I just vomited reading that comment, you're sick. **sarcasm**

Trader Joe
07-07-2010, 09:45 PM
Don't talk to me about thick skin, I grew up without my father dude!

I'm so confused what this has to do with my comment. You have my condolences, but I'm not sure what it has to do with what I said. I don't rag on anyone for not having their father. Look at this article. The guy comments on how long he lasted in bed, the fact he thinks he looks like LeBron. It's just so over the top and ridiculous how can you not chuckle a bit? Plus he's an Ivy League grad with a degree from one of the top law schools in the nation? You can't even make this up it's so over the top.

odeez
07-07-2010, 09:48 PM
I'm so confused what this has to do with my comment. You have my condolences, but I'm not sure what it has to do with what I said. I don't rag on anyone for not having their father. Look at this article. The guy comments on how long he lasted in bed, the fact he thinks he looks like LeBron. It's just so over the top and ridiculous how can you not chuckle a bit? Plus he's an Ivy League grad with a degree from one of the top law schools in the nation? You can't even make this up it's so over the top.

no worries... I see the humor - have fun!

Trader Joe
07-07-2010, 09:49 PM
Right...

xBulletproof
07-07-2010, 09:53 PM
How is that a disgusting comment?

Let's just for a second think, what if this is Lebron's father? He wasn't around, and had no interest until Lebron was worth hundreds of millions of dollars. If Lebron was working at Comcast, the guy still wouldn't be around. He wants no part of Lebron, and only wants a part of his check book.

That could personally and emotionally screw with someone to come to that realization. To be excited about/find humor in/ hope for a "hilarious" end result is just immature, at best.

Maybe I don't need "thicker skin", maybe you need some perspective, and to actually think about what the situation could mean to someone else.

btowncolt
07-07-2010, 09:57 PM
http://api.gamepro.com/support/docs/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/internet-serious-business-cat.jpg

tadscout
07-07-2010, 09:57 PM
:inbeforethelock2:

Trader Joe
07-07-2010, 10:01 PM
Let's just for a second think, what if this is Lebron's father? He wasn't around, and had no interest until Lebron was worth hundreds of millions of dollars. If Lebron was working at Comcast, the guy still wouldn't be around. He wants no part of Lebron, and only wants a part of his check book.

That could personally and emotionally screw with someone to come to that realization. To be excited about/find humor in/ hope for a "hilarious" end result is just immature, at best.

Maybe I don't need "thicker skin", maybe you need some perspective, and to actually think about what the situation could mean to someone else.

I'm just gonna bow out of this thread before I risk offending anyone else.

I will say this I'm not here to psycho-analyze Lebron, and if you don't see the humor in this situation then I don't know what to tell ya.

Sorry I offended you, I guess. :shrug:

Peace

Kid Minneapolis
07-07-2010, 10:02 PM
What started out as a goofy thread has somehow gotten more goofy.

Pacers2012
07-07-2010, 10:09 PM
I give this a 65% chance of being true. No one is going to sue for 8mil when all it takes is a paternity test.

and if it is true look out for a document with lebron meeting his dad for the first time and playing a game of horse.... is CNN calling. This is more interesting then lebron being a FA

McKeyFan
07-07-2010, 10:17 PM
Lots of pics of the guy at the TMZ site. I don't think its Lebron's dad.

joew8302
07-07-2010, 10:19 PM
I'm just gonna bow out of this thread before I risk offending anyone else.

I will say this I'm not here to psycho-analyze Lebron, and if you don't see the humor in this situation then I don't know what to tell ya.

Sorry I offended you, I guess. :shrug:

Peace

Don't worry man. Bulletproof likes to start internet fights. That is who he is. Probably a good choice to bow out, but no, you are not the devil which others would want to believe.

Stryder
07-07-2010, 10:23 PM

Chill. Seriously, Clark. :hmm:

Pacers2012
07-07-2010, 10:23 PM
Lots of pics of the guy at the TMZ site. I don't think its Lebron's dad.

lebron looks alot like his mom though. so he wouldnt look like his dad very much if this is to be his dad. look at his mom on google before she had her nose job

Shade
07-07-2010, 10:24 PM
:bs:

HC
07-07-2010, 10:24 PM

Sounds to me like you are drawing conclusions that you don't have enough information to substantiate. How do you know that it isn't his mother's fault that his father wasn't a part of his life? I was raised without a father myself, but a lot of it had to do with the fact that my mom wanted to make my father out to be a bad guy so that she could claim all the credit for raising me herself. This type of thing happens all of the time, and at the very least needs to be taken into consideration. In fact, some of the comments she made according to the article above would lead me to believe that the aformentioned may very well be the case. Furthermore, whether he was there for him or not the man has a right to know if he is in fact the father. If the tests were tampered with, then he has a case.

Stryder
07-07-2010, 10:25 PM
lebron looks alot like his mom though. so he wouldnt look like his dad very much if this is to be his dad. look at his mom on google before she had her nose job

And you speak for human genetics, how?

C'mon man! :hmm:

Stryder
07-07-2010, 10:25 PM
Might as well lock this goofy-a$$ thread down.

Putnam
07-07-2010, 10:32 PM
My daddy left home when I was three
And he didn't leave much to ma and me
Just these old sneakers he used to wear off and on.
Now, I don't blame him cause he run and hid
But the meanest thing that he ever did
Was before he left, he went and named me "Bron."

Well, he must o' thought that is quite a joke
And it got a lot of laughs from a' lots of folk,
even when I was a star in high school, college, and so on.
Some gal would giggle and I'd get red
And some guy'd laugh and I'd bust his head,
I tell ya, life ain't easy for a boy named "Bron."

Well, I grew up quick and I grew up mean,
My fist got hard and my wits got keen,
I'd roam from town to town to hide my shame.
But I made a vow to the moon and stars
That I'd search the honky-tonks and bars
And kill that man who gave me that awful name.

Well, it was up in Cleveland, mid-July
I was a free agent and my value was high,
You could even call me the NBA sine qua non.
At an upscale bar near the Gund Arena,
doin' a dance that looked like the Macarena,
Was the dirty, mangy dog that named me "Bron."

Well it had to happen, sooner or later,
Some leach'd come along, claiming to be my pater,
Infringing on my world like a hellish demon.
I knew he cause a lot of bother
Claiming to be my biological father
Sayin' he prove his right with a squirt of [ ]

Well, I hit him hard right between the eyes
And he went down, but to my surprise,
He come up with a knife and cut off a chunk of my bling.
He said, 'Just gimma a share of the wealth,
and I'll leave again and wish you good health,
I just wanna get in on a real good thing.

I tell ya, I've fought tougher men
But I really can't remember when,
He kicked like Bruce Bowen and he elbowed like Ron Artest.
I heard him laugh and then I heard him cuss,
He went for his gun and I pulled mine first,
He stood there lookin' at me and said, "You're the best."

And he said: "Son, this league is rough
And if a man's gonna make it, he's gotta be tough
And I knew I wouldn't be there to coach ya along.
So I give ya that name and I said goodbye
I knew you'd have to learn to ball or die
And it's the name that helped to make you strong."

He said: "Now you had one hell of a season,
Your gonna get a max contract, and you know the reason
is the biological gifts you base your game upon,
But ya ought to thank me, with a load of cash,
So I can buy me a car with a bit of flash,
Cause I'm the son-of-a-***** that named you "Bron.'"

I got all choked up and I threw down my gun
And I called him my pa, and he called me his son,
And for no good reason, this line ends with Kazakstan.
And I think about him, now and then,
Every time I play and every time I win,
And if I ever have a son, I think I'm gonna name him
Bill or George! Anything but Bron!
I still hate that name!

travmil
07-07-2010, 10:44 PM
If I was on LeBrons legal team I'd draw up documents asking for 18 years of back child support in the amount of $4 million should he turn out to be LeBrons father. I mean by all accounts he is a successful guy so maybe that's not far off.

xBulletproof
07-07-2010, 11:00 PM
Sounds to me like you are drawing conclusions that you don't have enough information to substantiate. How do you know that it isn't his mother's fault that his father wasn't a part of his life? I was raised without a father myself, but a lot of it had to do with the fact that my mom wanted to make my father out to be a bad guy so that she could claim all the credit for raising me herself. This type of thing happens all of the time, and at the very least needs to be taken into consideration. In fact, some of the comments she made according to the article above would lead me to believe that the aformentioned may very well be the case. Furthermore, whether he was there for him or not the man has a right to know if he is in fact the father. If the tests were tampered with, then he has a case.

I didn't draw conclusions, I said "what if". It was obvious that it was a made up scenario. Your scenario would have just as much (if not more) of a screwed up effect on a person.

To the other comments, I'm down with making fun of or joking about 99% of the things on the here. Hell, laugh when he gets dunked on, hope he loses every game the rest of his career. Whatever. But to make light of something that could potentially screw with someone emotionally when it was not of their own making .... that's just not right.

God forbid someone in life have a conscious. If this is hilarious, some of you should get a job at your local hospital delivering bad news to patients families in the waiting rooms. You could go home and giggle about all the hilarious stuff you did at work. I severely doubt any of you would find humor in this scenario if it was your life.

GO!!!!!
07-07-2010, 11:00 PM
Just FYI...

last time I checked LeBron has ben LeBron for like 5-10 years and been rich enough in that same amout of time.... why now.... I ask.........

Stryder
07-07-2010, 11:07 PM
I didn't draw conclusions, I said "what if". It was obvious that it was a made up scenario. Your scenario would have just as much (if not more) of a screwed up effect on a person.

To the other comments, I'm down with making fun of or joking about 99% of the things on the here. Hell, laugh when he gets dunked on, hope he loses every game the rest of his career. Whatever. But to make light of something that could potentially screw with someone emotionally when it was not of their own making .... that's just not right.

God forbid someone in life have a conscious. If this is hilarious, some of you should get a job at your local hospital delivering bad news to patients families in the waiting rooms. You could go home and giggle about all the hilarious stuff you did at work. I severely doubt any of you would find humor in this scenario if it was your life.

I read this and then got hungry for a hamburger. Not sure why. Pretty random. I think I need ice cream now. Maybe an Oreo or two.

HC
07-07-2010, 11:27 PM

The point is that you are seemingly picking sides and taking offense on a topic that none of us have enough information about to draw any real conclusions. Therefore, a light-hearted joke is not that big of a deal.

HC
07-07-2010, 11:28 PM
I read this and then got hungry for a hamburger. Not sure why. Pretty random. I think I need ice cream now. Maybe an Oreo or two.

Watch those calories.

HC
07-07-2010, 11:30 PM
If I was on LeBrons legal team I'd draw up documents asking for 18 years of back child support in the amount of $4 million should he turn out to be LeBrons father. I mean by all accounts he is a successful guy so maybe that's not far off.

Not necessarily, how do we know that Bron Bron's mother didn't deny this man of his parental rights all of these years?

travmil
07-07-2010, 11:43 PM
Not necessarily, how do we know that Bron Bron's mother didn't deny this man of his parental rights all of these years?

Maybe she did, but he'd have to prove it in court, which LeBron's legal team would not as they would have rock solid DNA evidence on their side. The guy has a law degree so he has to know how stacked the legal system is in favor of the mother in custody related matters. So he could try to argue that she denied him his parental rights, spend a LOT of money doing it, lose, and still owe the back child support which he would then have to pay before he ever collected a dime from LeBron or his mom. By the time he did all that he might have to sue them for $10 million.

woowoo
07-07-2010, 11:59 PM

No kidding... so what if he is Bron's dad? If anything he is lucky he does not have to pay back support... He is owed nothing ...

HC
07-08-2010, 12:01 AM
Maybe she did, but he'd have to prove it in court, which LeBron's legal team would not as they would have rock solid DNA evidence on their side. The guy has a law degree so he has to know how stacked the legal system is in favor of the mother in custody related matters. So he could try to argue that she denied him his parental rights, spend a LOT of money doing it, lose, and still owe the back child support which he would then have to pay before he ever collected a dime from LeBron or his mom. By the time he did all that he might have to sue them for $10 million.

Exactly, which leads me to believe he thinks he has a case. Otherwise, why would he bother?

ksuttonjr76
07-08-2010, 12:10 AM
Exactly, which leads me to believe he thinks he has a case. Otherwise, why would he bother?

The hopes of settling out of court to prevent a potential PR nightmare for Lebron.

HC
07-08-2010, 12:16 AM
The hopes of settling out of court to prevent a potential PR nightmare for Lebron.

Could be, but he seems educated enough to have his i's dotted and t's crossed. Maybe he is just broke and desperate though.

imawhat
07-08-2010, 01:10 AM
http://tmz.vo.llnwd.net/o28/newsdesk/tmz_documents/lebron_james_doc2.pdf

Very interesting read.

imawhat
07-08-2010, 01:16 AM
Also, LeBron's father hasn't been confirmed, but look at this photo of Roland Bivens, Gloria James' high school companion who died in highschool in a car accident.

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/1891/0725175254rolandbivensgb5.jpg

Pacers2012
07-08-2010, 01:29 AM
Also, LeBron's father hasn't been confirmed, but look at this photo of Roland Bivens, Gloria James' high school companion who died in highschool in a car accident.

if that guy was lebrons dad dont you think his mom would of simply told him his dad died in hs. also i wouldnt doubt that pic could be touched up by cgi

imawhat
07-08-2010, 01:31 AM
His mother clearly doesn't know who the father is.

Kuq_e_Zi91
07-08-2010, 03:53 AM
Send them all to Maury.

In all seriousness, this has the potential to get very ugly for LeBron. The claims in that document are not only very serious (falsifying a DNA test?) but actually quite believable considering the parties in question. We all know what Gloria James is capable of, and I think this time she messed with the wrong person. This guy isn't Delonte West off his meds, he's an obviously well educated, well spoken man.

But then again, what's $4 million to LeBron?

Erik
07-08-2010, 06:14 AM

This whole thing is settled for me. All I have to do is look at that picture.

NapTonius Monk
07-08-2010, 07:41 AM
If he is his father, where the hell was he when LBJ was growing up. This dude is a money hungry clown!If it's true, the entire basis of the claim is that he was given a fabricated paternity report stating he wasn't the father. He's saying he was pushed out fraudulently by Gloria James.

NapTonius Monk
07-08-2010, 07:43 AM
Come on man?He said she was 15 and he was 29. He probably WAS trying to avoid jail.

NapTonius Monk
07-08-2010, 07:51 AM

God forbid someone in life have a conscious. If this is hilarious, some of you should get a job at your local hospital delivering bad news to patients families in the waiting rooms. You could go home and giggle about all the hilarious stuff you did at work. I severely doubt any of you would find humor in this scenario if it was your life.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

NapTonius Monk
07-08-2010, 07:57 AM
His mother clearly doesn't know who the father is.This whole thing seems like a Maury Povich episode.

NapTonius Monk
07-08-2010, 07:59 AM
We all know what Gloria James is capable of, and I think this time she messed with the wrong person.Explain please??? :confused:

Kuq_e_Zi91
07-08-2010, 08:40 AM
Explain please??? :confused:

Explain what she's capable of? I don't really know how to say it politely, and it's really not my business what she does in her personal life, but it just keeps becoming public. I was referring to her affairs with numerous men, most notably one of her son's teammates. She displayed a complete lack of judgment and disregard for the consequences of her actions.

Or how about when she was arrested in 2006 for drunk driving, and she fought the officers. They had to bring her to the ground to cuff her. Then after being placed in the back of the police car, she kicked out a window.

Basically, there's nothing in that legal document, all 25 pages of it, that isn't believable regarding the allegations made against her.

Also, Mr. Stovell, the guy making the allegations, knows what he's talking about. He's currently working as an attorney in the DC area. He basically put his entire credibility and career on the line with this lawsuit.

All I'm saying, is I wouldn't be surprised if this was true considering the time line of events described by Stovell and the known past of Gloria James.

McKeyFan
07-08-2010, 08:44 AM
If that photo of the Bivens guy hasn't been altered, there's no question who the real father is.

RonArtest
07-08-2010, 09:24 AM
Wow. I don't care what you think of Lebron personally, this is just a disgusting comment.

No excuse.

Umm that's not a disgusting comment. In fact, it's not even slightly negative. Lebron is a celebrity. He chose that life, so he has to deal with it. We can say whatever we want about him, fatherless or not. Don't be so sensitive. The world is a cruel and dangerous place...

duke dynamite
07-08-2010, 10:14 AM
This has The Waterboy written all over it, but with less Cajun hillbillies.

PacerGuy
07-08-2010, 10:22 AM
Why is Delonte West suing LeBron?

This will not help Cle's chances to resign the King.....

Trader Joe
07-08-2010, 03:26 PM
No kidding... so what if he is Bron's dad? If anything he is lucky he does not have to pay back support... He is owed nothing ...

If he is Lebron's dad, he should be IN JAIL. Or at least have served some time in jail.

thewholefnshow31
07-08-2010, 04:08 PM
This has The Waterboy written all over it, but with less Cajun hillbillies.

That is the first thing I thought about when reading this story.

If his supposed dad does what the Waterboy's dad did it would get some good laughs on TV.

Basketball Fan
08-30-2010, 11:04 PM
http://edition.cnn.com/2010/SPORT/08/30/lebron.paternity.suit/index.html#fbid=5ltui4ExjT1&wom=true

LeBron James seeks dismissal of lawsuit over paternity claims
By Bill Mears, CNN
August 30, 2010 -- Updated 2146 GMT (0546 HKT)
James' lawyers say a DNA test shows the plaintiff isn't James' father, though the plaintiff says the test was falsified.
James' lawyers say a DNA test shows the plaintiff isn't James' father, though the plaintiff says the test was falsified.
STORY HIGHLIGHTS

* Man claims to be LeBron James' biological father
* Lawyers for James and his mother seek dismissal of a lawsuit the man filed
* Leicester Stovell is seeking unspecified millions in damages