PDA

View Full Version : Boozer Joins Bulls

Kamiyohk
07-07-2010, 04:57 PM
Carlos Boozer has agreed to sign with the Chicago Bulls for a contract worth approximately $80 million over 5 years.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/67944/20100707/boozer_joins_bulls/

Sookie
07-07-2010, 04:58 PM
I'm suprised the NBA let Carlos sign that yet. Now we KNOW Lebron's not going to Chicago. :P

tadscout
07-07-2010, 05:00 PM
For those that don't like following links...

Carlos Boozer has agreed to sign with the Chicago Bulls for a contract worth approximately $80 million over 5 years.

Via J.A. Adande/ESPN (via Twitter)

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/67944/20100707/boozer_joins_bulls/#ixzz0t24dx0e8

and-

Carlos Boozer is the latest domino to fall, agreeing to a five-year, $80 million contract with the Chicago Bulls, a source close to the negotiations told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher on Wednesday.

Boozer follows agreements by premier free agents Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh in Miami, Amare Stoudemire with the Knicks and Joe Johnson in Atlanta.

The Bulls are still in the running for LeBron James, who is going to make an announcement Thursday on ESPN. But Chicago would have to do some creative financing to fit the superstar under the cap after this deal.

Boozer average 19.5 points and 11.2 rebounds per game for the Utah Jazz last season, his sixth with the team. In his eight-year career, he has averaged 17.2 points and 10.2 rebounds per contest.

Boozer's name has come up in trade discussions involving the Bulls numerous times over the past few years.

ESPN Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nba/news/story?id=5361792)

d_c
07-07-2010, 05:02 PM
I'm suprised the NBA let Carlos sign that yet. Now we KNOW Lebron's not going to Chicago. :P

Chicago still has room for one MAX deal, FWIW

ChristianDudley
07-07-2010, 05:02 PM
I'm assuming this might mean LBJ is not coming to Chicago (or there's not a possibility of it anymore, I mean) or do they still have enough cap room for him?

Peck
07-07-2010, 05:04 PM
Hahahahahahaha!!!!!

I love whenever Chicago thinks they are dropping tons of salary in an effort to get a big name free agent.

d_c
07-07-2010, 05:04 PM
I'm assuming this might mean LBJ is not coming to Chicago (or there's not a possibility of it anymore, I mean) or do they still have enough cap room for him?

still room

rexnom
07-07-2010, 05:07 PM
Yes! Great news for Chi, as bad as that deal may look in a few years.

pacers74
07-07-2010, 05:10 PM
Wow, all these signings. Is Lebron the only big name left? Wow!

pacers74
07-07-2010, 05:11 PM
If Lebron stays in Cleveland who is left to s&t to play with him, Lee.? Will he go back to Cleveland if he the same team again?

CooperManning
07-07-2010, 05:14 PM
So isn't Hinrich and #17 for nothing officially a terrible trade if they don't land Lebron?

Kstat
07-07-2010, 05:17 PM
still room

Not enough for LeBron, I don't think.

pacers74
07-07-2010, 05:18 PM
So isn't Hinrich and #17 for nothing officially a terrible trade if they don't land Lebron?

Good call. They could have gotten a rookie and traded Hinrich to someone for a pretty descent player.
Which team is going to be the biggest loser? NJ, Chicago, Cleveland, or New York?

pacergod2
07-07-2010, 05:18 PM
I absolutely LOVE this signing for the Bulls organization (removing myself from being a Pacer fan and Bull hater of course).

From a basketball perspective, Boozer is probably the most effective pick and roll pick in the NBA. Gasol is great, but not nearly as mobile. Amare is extremely athletic, but is not as consistent or as capable of adjusting mid play as Boozer. Boozer is what a rebounder should be. Tough as nails. His onlt drawback IMO, is that he isn't a great shot blocker. Boozer is a terrific veteran presence for this young team as well. I love the signing, but that last year or two will be a big question mark whether Boozer can earn his contract. I believe he will have just turned 36 when his contract is over, but he is a player that takes care of himself extremely well, so we will see.

His fit with Chicago is awesome. You just gave your franchise player a guy to run the pick and roll with. Joakim Noah is not good in the pick and roll other than being a mobile big bodied player. Noah is a great defensive minded shot blocking center for Boozer to play next to, which is the perfect complement style wise.

Rose, TBD, Deng, Boozer, Noah

If they could fill that SG spot with a guy like Ray Allen or trade for a Rip Hamilton, this Bulls team will quickly become a contender. I hate this as a Pacer fan, because we have to play this team more often than other teams. DAMN IT.

tadscout
07-07-2010, 05:21 PM
If they could fill that SG spot with a guy like Ray Allen or trade for a Rip Hamilton, this Bulls team will quickly become a contender. I hate this as a Pacer fan, because we have to play this team more often than other teams. DAMN IT.

Mike Miller (just a prediction...)

CooperManning
07-07-2010, 05:27 PM
I know no one expects Chicago to get Lebron anymore, but how hard would it be to turn down that lineup? Especially if Chicago did a surprisingly simple Rip for Deng trade.

Rose - Rip - Lebron - Boozer - Noah

Lebron just can't get help that good in Cleveland, but for the sake of the Eastern Conference I hope he stays there.

Kstat
07-07-2010, 05:28 PM
I wouldn't even want Deng. I'd ask for Taj Gibson or shop him to Boston as a Ray Allen replacement.

Hillman's 'Fro'
07-07-2010, 05:30 PM
PG2-

Well said. And the other strength that Boozer has is finishing in
traffic in the lane (not necessarily at the rim, but in the mid-lane/
dotted line area) while on the move. That'll fit very nicely with
Rose's driving ability.

Boozer is a great signing by the Bulls. Frankly, they might be just
as well off with him as they'd have been with Bosh.

If they can add a shooter at SG to stretch the floor who isn't a
major defensive liability too, they'll be a pain in the a$$ to play
against.

Shade
07-07-2010, 05:32 PM
That is ridiculous money for Boozer.

Kstat
07-07-2010, 05:33 PM
On CHicago, he's probably worth it.

tadscout
07-07-2010, 05:39 PM
I don't see why Chi would trade for Rip when they could sign M. Miller who can pass and rebound on top of the shooting... without giving up anything but capspace...

rexnom
07-07-2010, 05:46 PM
I don't see why Chi would trade for Rip when they could sign M. Miller who can pass and rebound on top of the shooting... without giving up anything but capspace...
If they miss out on LeBron, it'd be interesting if they could take Rip off of Detroit's hands for additional rewards without losing anything significant.

odeez
07-07-2010, 05:49 PM
Good move by Chicago, they better hope he stays healthy for that kind of money.

Shade
07-07-2010, 05:51 PM
Would LeBron actually consider playing with Boozer again after what happened in Cleveland?

odeez
07-07-2010, 05:51 PM
I absolutely LOVE this signing for the Bulls organization (removing myself from being a Pacer fan and Bull hater of course).

From a basketball perspective, Boozer is probably the most effective pick and roll pick in the NBA. Gasol is great, but not nearly as mobile. Amare is extremely athletic, but is not as consistent or as capable of adjusting mid play as Boozer. Boozer is what a rebounder should be. Tough as nails. His onlt drawback IMO, is that he isn't a great shot blocker. Boozer is a terrific veteran presence for this young team as well. I love the signing, but that last year or two will be a big question mark whether Boozer can earn his contract. I believe he will have just turned 36 when his contract is over, but he is a player that takes care of himself extremely well, so we will see.

His fit with Chicago is awesome. You just gave your franchise player a guy to run the pick and roll with. Joakim Noah is not good in the pick and roll other than being a mobile big bodied player. Noah is a great defensive minded shot blocking center for Boozer to play next to, which is the perfect complement style wise.

great post, love that he can knock down that mid-range shot.

QuickRelease
07-07-2010, 06:26 PM

If they could fill that SG spot with a guy like Ray Allen or trade for a Rip Hamilton, this Bulls team will quickly become a contender. I hate this as a Pacer fan, because we have to play this team more often than other teams. DAMN IT.Boozer's only 28. He'd be 33 when the contract ends.

Kstat
07-07-2010, 07:24 PM

3-way trade sending Deng to Portland, Rip to Chicago and Przybilla/Bayliss to Detroit is the latest rumor making the rounds.

Doddage
07-07-2010, 07:26 PM
That'd be a bad trade for Portland, imo. They don't need Deng when Batum fits the bill of what they need at the 3, at a fraction of the cost.

Kstat
07-07-2010, 07:32 PM
That'd be a bad trade for Portland, imo. They don't need Deng when Batum fits the bill of what they need at the 3, at a fraction of the cost.

Batum does NOT fill the bill of what they need, which is a SF that can score to take pressure off Roy. Batum is nice but you're not going to win games with him starting unless you've got 3-4 offensive dynamos around him. Portland currently only has two.

Kegboy
07-07-2010, 07:32 PM
Why would Portland want Deng? Oh, that's right, they got rid of Pritch and Penn, and nobody's manning the store.

pwee31
07-07-2010, 09:23 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the Bulls go after Redick

Trophy
07-07-2010, 09:30 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the Bulls go after Redick

If they land LeBron, they're gonna need some shooters so I agree with them possibly getting Redick.

pwee31
07-07-2010, 09:40 PM
BTW I think the Boozer deal was 5 years $75mil, not $80 or $85

pwee31
07-07-2010, 09:46 PM
haha did a little web surfing and wouldn't you know it

http://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA

Chicago Bulls will target J.J. Redick next, according to sources.

tadscout
07-07-2010, 10:05 PM
haha did a little web surfing and wouldn't you know it

http://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA

I forgot about Reddick... yeah him or M. Miller makes more sense for a long term run than Hamilton (what he has maybe 2 years left in him?).

Trophy
07-07-2010, 10:07 PM
They should sign Luther Head.

cdash
07-07-2010, 10:21 PM
Would LeBron actually consider playing with Boozer again after what happened in Cleveland?

They are still friends, reportedly.

dohman
07-07-2010, 10:41 PM
They are still friends, reportedly.

I don't see how he could be mad. He is doing the same thing to clevland lol

Give Me A Break Larry!!!!
07-07-2010, 11:17 PM
I"LL DRINK A BOOZE IN HONOR OF BOOZER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trader Joe
07-07-2010, 11:24 PM
The legend grows...

jeffg-body
07-08-2010, 12:00 AM
This is a pretty good pick-up on both ends. Boozer fills a need for Chicago and Boozer gets overpaid a little bit and will be on a good team.