PDA

View Full Version : Jermaine O'Neal to sign with Dallas Mavericks, Denver Nuggets or Boston Celtics [ESPN]

Il Ragionier Ugo Fantozzi
07-07-2010, 04:49 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5361625&campaign=rss&source=NBAHeadlines

O'Neal's faves: Mavs, Nuggets, Celtics

Free-agent center Jermaine O'Neal said Wednesday that he expects to sign with one of the three following teams in coming days: Dallas, Denver or Boston.

O'Neal
"Those are my favorites," O'Neal told ESPN.com "Those are teams that are going to compete [for a championship] next year."

O'Neal said he's still deliberating between the three teams -- all believed to be offering a portion of the mid-level exception to sign him -- and called the decision perhaps "the most important of my career because I know this is kind of my last run at it" in terms of title-chasing.

O'Neal averaged 13.6 points, 6.9 rebounds and 28.6 minutes in 70 games last season for the Heat, who are expected to renounce their rights to the former All-Star as part of the cap space-clearing exercise required to create sufficient cap room for the incoming Chris Bosh alongside a re-signed Dwyane Wade and Miami's other free-agent targets.

All three O'Neal suitors are searching for frontcourt depth.

Boston is expected to start the season without the injured Kendrick Perkins; Denver's Kenyon Martin and Chris Andersen are likewise recovering from injuries; and Dallas faces a potential void at center amid uncertainty about its ability to re-sign Brendan Haywood and with the Mavericks actively shopping Erick Dampier's non-guaranteed $13 million contract for an impact player.

O'Neal, 31, is an unrestricted free agent for the first time in his career and had his best years in Indiana under Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle before persistent knee trouble derailed him.

Shade
07-07-2010, 04:51 PM
How the mighty have fallen.

btowncolt
07-07-2010, 04:52 PM
For his knee's sake, let's hope he doesn't jump around celebrating.

ChristianDudley
07-07-2010, 05:00 PM
I would like to see him go to the Mavericks. I don't really think Boston is the team for him being as they already have KG, Big Baby, Shelden Williams, Perkins, and possibly Rasheed still (I've heard he might not be retiring after all) as their frontcourt players. I really don't want to see him go to the Nuggets as he doesn't need to retire being known as a "thug" again by playing with the "Thuggets" lol. I think the Mavericks would be a nice fit, though. Along with him, they'd have several other longtime veterans on the team that are still looking for a championship ring (specifically--Dirk & Kidd). I believe that JO would be a nice player off the bench for them, coming in for Dirk or Haywood (he can play both the 4 and the 5). I'm assuming Haywood is not a free-agent, correct? Anyway, I do believe JO would fit in best in Dallas and yes, I am a very big JO fan.

DocHolliday
07-07-2010, 05:06 PM
Go away, JO. I hate you.:censored:

Brad8888
07-07-2010, 05:13 PM
Where will he dominate the paint next?

Will Carlisle run 30% of the offense through JO?

Will JO be able to run the floor for the Nuggets at altitude?

Will Boston ever end up with an inside presence with good knees in the next three years?

The only of these questions that requires answering is the one about Carlisle. I doubt either of the other teams would have much interest with JO's history.

Speed
07-07-2010, 05:26 PM
Wait THIS is his last run?

Kegboy
07-07-2010, 05:52 PM
:yawn:

btowncolt
07-07-2010, 05:55 PM
:yawn:

GO!!!!!
07-07-2010, 05:55 PM
He's still only 31... I'm sure he can still help some teams, all depends on how much they pay him if he's worth it...

DGPR
07-07-2010, 05:56 PM
If he can just get back to dominating again...........

will567
07-07-2010, 06:05 PM
I really liked JO when he was here and healthy. Loved watching him dunk on guys in the post. I really miss that! Now it is rare to see a dunk by a pacer. I hope he goes to Dallas and plays well!

Kegboy
07-07-2010, 06:09 PM

:flirt:

CableKC
07-07-2010, 06:18 PM
He's still only 31... I'm sure he can still help some teams, all depends on how much they pay him if he's worth it...
JONeal's 31 with the heavy mileage on his bionic repaired knees and legs. He might as well be 34 years old. IMHO...he should go to Denver. They have enough rotational Centers to allow JONeal to be a PF instead of a Center.

bellisimo
07-07-2010, 06:46 PM
for some reason my memory is telling me that Carlisle and JO were not on the best terms even though Carlisle did his best to feed him the ball...don't think that would be a happy couple again...no?

Trader Joe
07-07-2010, 06:48 PM
Like him or not, hate him or not, for a portion of the MLE, he's a pretty good value as the first big man off the bench for a contending team.

Pacers2012
07-07-2010, 06:52 PM
He should go to Boston. that is what i would do but, i have a feeling he will end up with the mavs

LG33
07-07-2010, 07:07 PM
Between another season of Rasheed Wallace or a season (however long that may be) of Jermaine O'Neal, which is the better choice for the Celtics? I don't watch enough of either gent to tell.

CableKC
07-07-2010, 07:19 PM
Between another season of Rasheed Wallace or a season (however long that may be) of Jermaine O'Neal, which is the better choice for the Celtics? I don't watch enough of either gent to tell.
JONeal if he can be had for cheap and for however long KG is there. IMHO....JONeal is a small "step up" from being a "warm body" to throw against Gasol/Bynum/Dwight/etc. But he's no long-term answer...a healthy Kendrick Perkins is.

ilive4sports
07-07-2010, 07:33 PM
I know I'm in the minority here, but I like JO, watching him become a star for us was a delight. Sure he was involved in the brawl but not nearly as bad as Artest or Jackson and he was a good guy off the court too. He tried to bulk up and his body wouldn't allow it and his knees suffered. My one pair of the JO7's were the best shoes I ever owned and I still have his Pacers jersey hanging in my closet. For the most part JO was pretty damn good for the Pacers.

I think he will end up on the Mavs, seems like a good fit for him and a bargain for the Mavs.

Justin Tyme
07-07-2010, 08:22 PM
I'm assuming Haywood is not a free-agent, correct?

You shouldn't assume. ;) Haywood is a FA.

Shalaska
07-07-2010, 08:27 PM
I know I'm in the minority here, but I like JO, watching him become a star for us was a delight. Sure he was involved in the brawl but not nearly as bad as Artest or Jackson and he was a good guy off the court too. He tried to bulk up and his body wouldn't allow it and his knees suffered. My one pair of the JO7's were the best shoes I ever owned and I still have his Pacers jersey hanging in my closet. For the most part JO was pretty damn good for the Pacers.

I think he will end up on the Mavs, seems like a good fit for him and a bargain for the Mavs.

Yeah I love him too. Seeing him like this hurts..badly..

By the time he played for us, he was one of the most underrated players but now he ended up being a MLE player and they call him "overrated". God, I hate when this happens.

Trophy
07-07-2010, 09:54 PM
I think even Jermaine or Shaquille O'Neal would do very well with Dallas.

They're in need of a center.

pizza guy
07-07-2010, 11:43 PM
I'd like to see him sign with Dallas or Boston, either one. I still like JO and hope he gets a shot at a ring. Say what you will about his ego and "dominating again" and whatever, but he was a darn good ball player for us and the brawl cost him the best shot at a ring he had. He couldn't control the knee trouble, but we still demonize him for that (more so his continuing contract after the injuries). He gave us a lot of good basketball and effort and was always a good guy in the community. I wish him well.

--pizza

joew8302
07-07-2010, 11:47 PM
I understand why Indiana fans could be frustrated with JO. He signs a huge contract, always talks big before the year, gets hurt and we fizzled out. That was our season for about 3 straight years with him as the leader.

That said, no one put a gun to Donnie's head and made him give JO that deal, and JO would have been crazy to not sign. Truth be told in his prime JO was never worth 20 million per year and Donnie overestimated his abilities.

JO didn't commit crimes, was a solid citizen, and he truly cared IMO. It is not his fault he was overpayed. I am willing to let bygones be bygones and root for the guy while he isn't playing against Indy. Now Tinsley and Jackson, that is another story.

Naptown_Seth
07-07-2010, 11:49 PM
How the mighty have fallen.
31 years old. Incredible.

He should have a 61 minute announcement special just to outdo Lebron.

jeffg-body
07-07-2010, 11:49 PM
I may be one of the few, but I have always liked JO. I think he would fit very well in Dallas and Boston if he can be had on the cheap. I know his injury history is getting pretty long, but the guy plays through the pain and will grit it out for the good of the team. When JO was with the P's he always handled himself with dignity and when he went to Riley Hospital he stopped to give my daughter an autographed picture. He even stuck around a minute and asked how she was doing and what kind of illness she had. I may be biased because of that but I think he did much good for our community.

DGPR
07-07-2010, 11:52 PM
I always loved JO when he was on the Pacers. Watching him go from a nobody to a superstar was just amazing. He was the best player on a very talented team that had a few unfortunate circumstances occur.

GO!!!!!
07-08-2010, 12:01 AM
Heat beat writer Michael Wallace said on Twitter Wednesday that Jermaine O'Neal is close to signing with the Celtics.

While the C's don't need anymore knee problems, O'Neal makes a heck of a lot more sense for them than Kwame Brown. Stay tuned

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NBA

Give Me A Break Larry!!!!
07-08-2010, 12:07 AM
WHAT???????????????

ONEAL IS LEAVING THE PACERS??????????????????????

pwee31
07-08-2010, 12:13 AM
WHAT???????????????

ONEAL IS LEAVING THE PACERS??????????????????????

:laugh: your mood is perfect for what you just typed

07-08-2010, 12:21 AM
HAHAHAHA

THAT IS MY mood ALL THE TIME!!!!!!!!

I STOPPED REALLY FOLLOWING THE PACERS ONCE THEY STARTED TO SUCK!!!!

NOTHING ABOUT THE FIGHT!!!!!! THAT WAS COOL!!!!!!! BUT I WANT THE PACERS TO WIN IT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!

BUT YEAH I WAS JUST JOKING I KNOW HE WENT TO THE CANADA TEAM!!!!!!!

IM MORE OF A CASUAL FAN WHO DRINKS BEER!!!!!!!!!!!

I SEE YOU LIKE MIKE DUNLEAVY JR!!!!!!!!!!! I ENJOYED WATCHING HIS FATHER PLAY

SORRY IF IM GETTING OFF TOPIC!!!!!!!!! I TEND TO RAMBLE ON!

DGPR
07-08-2010, 12:39 AM
HAHAHAHA

NOTHING ABOUT THE FIGHT!!!!!! THAT WAS COOL!!!!!!! BUT I WANT THE PACERS TO WIN IT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I just went internet deaf.

pwee31
07-08-2010, 12:42 AM
HAHAHAHA

Ha, not a bad mood to have all the time :buddies:

Yeah I'm a fan of Dun Dun, really hoping he can bounced back this year, he's been dogged out pretty badly on here since the injury, but he's a Pacer and I've stuck with him, so hopefully it pays off where I can talk a little :censored: if he's successful.

Glad to have you as a poster on these boards, should post more often... love the enthusiasm :laugh:

As for JO, I rooted for him being a Pacer and their best player and all, but I've never liked his demeanor and finger pointing. It also became frustrating as a fan when he was injured all the time, said the right things in the off-season and then the same results.

I think the Celtics would benefit from either O'Neal

07-08-2010, 12:52 AM
i hate when players get INJURED!!!!!!!

HC
07-08-2010, 12:56 AM
I wish I had that clip from 2005 where the Pacers eliminated the Celtics from the playoffs and in the aftergame JO looked at the camera and said something about The Garden officially being closed.

Lord Helmet
07-08-2010, 05:45 AM
I wish JO the best. We had our problems and complaints with JO while he was a Pacer, but he was a class act, loved Indianapolis and hell, still has a house around here, you can't ask for much more from a player.

I still have my autographed jersey of his hanging in my room.

Good luck on getting a ring, JO.

Another thing I should mention, he really is a nice guy, and he'd always sign as many autographs as he could. I remember I ran into him at a Colts - Falcons game back in '03, my Dad joked about the loss to the Bulls the night before and JO was just like, "I promise you it won't happen again."

Kuq_e_Zi91
07-08-2010, 06:09 AM
Yeah, I remember attending a Pacers/Wizards game here in DC and JO came off as really affable. I asked him if he would sign my hat, and he smiled and said "Hey, sure thing!" I still have the hat, and proudly reply "Jermaine O'Neal" when people ask me whose signature it is.

I wish him nothing but the best in his quest for a ring, as well.

thewholefnshow31
07-08-2010, 09:01 AM
I hope he goes to the Celtics just to see Bill Simmons' head explode after all the jokes he has made about JO.

duke dynamite
07-08-2010, 09:15 AM
I really liked Jermaine. I just didn't enjoy the years he went into decline and TPTB continued to say we needed to build around him. Of course that wasn't Jermaine's fault, but the guy was a class-act...and I'm sure he has a place for the Pacers in his heart.

Signing with a team like the Mavericks seems like a good fit for Jermaine. Going into a coaching system he is familiar with would benefit him very well. I'd like to see him on a team that could possibly win something.

ChristianDudley
07-08-2010, 09:36 AM
I'm liking all these stories showing support of JO as in past years I have heard all the negativity about him, all stemming from the brawl. JO has always been a nice guy and as stated above, was always happy to sign autographs--he'd sign as many as he possibly could at games and he'd even do multiples per person if they wanted more than 1 item signed at a time. And staying on the memorabilia/autograph topic, I know that he'd always give out his game-used shoes from each game from time to time...either after each game or at the locker clean-out at the end of the season. At some point in time, he'd give away each pair of shoes he had used during the season as well as sign both shoes. And also as stated above, I know that he was always photographed being at local hospitals and such visiting kids and other sick patients, bringing them happiness and joy. I loved the Jermaine days in Indiana. He was my favorite player in the past decade for the Pacers. It was hard to watch him not able to play much because of bad knees, but I'm glad that he's still playing through the pain and helping his team win games. Hopefully Boston still has 1 last chance at a title with their current team as I would really love to see JO win a ring as he's definitely earned it, both on and off of the court, in my eyes.

PacerGuy
07-08-2010, 10:12 AM
-I really liked JO the player untill he started adding weight & over-played himself while playing the summer for team USA.

-I really liked JO up to when Zeke left. When Zeke left, so did JO, difference is JO still hung out here for a while afterwards.

-I really liked the JO who tore up Boston in the playoffs, and really didn't care for the whiney jumpshooter he became in the seasons that followed.

-I liked the JO who tried to say the right thing & "be the guy", but I did not like the JO that did not do the right thing and was never the leader or preceived as his leader by his teammates (esp. Ron).

-I liked the young JO who tall, lean, athletic & just balled, but I will always resent the JO who was curupted by Contract-Knees-Ego. He coulda/shoulda been a player worthy of hanging from the Fieldhouse rafters, rather than hanging in ethogy in the minds of many Pacer fans who feel he "let them down / let this team down" in the end.

90'sNBARocked
07-08-2010, 01:04 PM
http://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA

Jermaine O'Neal has agreed to sign with the Boston Celtics, a league source tells Y! Sports.

Good for JO. Will be fun to watch him and KG in the front line

NuffSaid
07-08-2010, 01:11 PM
I didn't think JO would stay w/the Heat once Bosh was singed (or prepared to be). The JO/Bosh experiment didn't work in Toranto and it sure wouldn't work in Miami. It's best that he go elsewhere.

If I were the Pacers GM would I take him back? Nope.

He may make a fine fit in Dallas playing for coach Carlisle again. Denver runs too much for his knees. He'd never keep up w/Melo there.

EDIT: (Spits out drink...) WHAT? He's signing w/the Celtics? Talk about chasing a ring....Wow!!!

ChristianDudley
07-08-2010, 01:14 PM
Good luck to JO in Boston...It would be nice if he could get a ring with them, so hopefully KG, Paul, Ray, JO, etc still have 1 good run left in them.

Doddage
07-08-2010, 01:20 PM
Wouldn't Pacer fans love if JO won a title with the Celtics next season? That would make Artest and JO champions in consecutive years.

Slick Pinkham
07-08-2010, 01:27 PM
It's been awhile since I have heard anyone refer to him as Jermaine O'Neal. Instead, for the past 12 months, he has been known as "the expiring contract of Jermaine O'Neal"

Wouldn't Pacer fans love if JO won a title with the Celtics next season? That would make Artest and JO champions in consecutive years.

:puke:

ChristianDudley
07-08-2010, 01:30 PM
from Twitter:

WojYahooNBA: Jermaine O'Neal's deal with Boston is for two years and nearly $12 million, league source tells Y!.He will be paid full mid-level exception.

IndyJones
07-08-2010, 01:40 PM
-I really liked JO the player untill he started adding weight & over-played himself while playing the summer for team USA.

-I really liked JO up to when Zeke left. When Zeke left, so did JO, difference is JO still hung out here for a while afterwards.

-I really liked the JO who tore up Boston in the playoffs, and really didn't care for the whiney jumpshooter he became in the seasons that followed.

-I liked the JO who tried to say the right thing & "be the guy", but I did not like the JO that did not do the right thing and was never the leader or preceived as his leader by his teammates (esp. Ron).

-I liked the young JO who tall, lean, athletic & just balled, but I will always resent the JO who was curupted by Contract-Knees-Ego. He coulda/shoulda been a player worthy of hanging from the Fieldhouse rafters, rather than hanging in ethogy in the minds of many Pacer fans who feel he "let them down / let this team down" in the end.

wasn't it the Pacer's/Carlisle who wanted JO to bulk up and try to be a back to the basket half court big? I always felt thats what ruined his game and made him so injury prone... his frame never look right for all that weight.

NuffSaid
07-08-2010, 01:42 PM

:jawdrop: :puke::wah: :zip:

And that's all I have to say about that...:(

RonArtest
07-08-2010, 02:02 PM
I don't think JO is going to the Mavs anymore...

They gave Haywood $55MM LOLZ

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Aic5nubgAw_s9Nv7YAmZi8Y5nYcB?slug=ys-haywoodmavericks070810

pacers74
07-08-2010, 02:10 PM
O’Neal to sign with Celtics

Free-agent center Jermaine O’Neal (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3120/;_ylt=Atz.jPDHtJv6zkKh8kSMuBgQmNIF)(notes) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3120/news;_ylt=Ahd1QIJXcPU6hxVXzPu2SfwQmNIF) has reached agreement to sign a two-year contract worth about $12 million with the Boston Celtics (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/bos/;_ylt=AozRl1uaMSsYqvE.LVQC2r0QmNIF), league sources told Yahoo! Sports.
O’Neal had been deliberating between the Celtics and Denver Nuggets (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/den/;_ylt=AhB.kAJwoAhW_yynp1Ee9wcQmNIF).

Boston needed a center to help fill in for Kendrick Perkins, who is expected to be out five to six months with a severe knee injury. Rasheed Wallace also has indicated he plans to retire.
After falling one game short of winning their second NBA championship in three years, the Celtics have been active in free agency to solidify their roster for another run.
The Celtics reached agreement on a two-year, $20 million contract with Ray Allen on Wednesday, five days after giving Paul Pierce a four-year, $61 million extension. Coach Doc Rivers also announced last week he would return for another season.
O’Neal, 31, averaged 13.6 points and 6.9 rebounds for the Heat last season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AiOm3H.tc_AYHG.ciMfU.bm8vLYF?slug=ys-onealceltics070810

naptownmenace
07-08-2010, 02:11 PM
Like him or not, hate him or not, for a portion of the MLE, he's a pretty good value as the first big man off the bench for a contending team.

Agreed! JO still plays better defense than anyone currently on the Pacers roster.

I don't think that he and Rick had any problems getting along while they were both in Indy. If he want's plenty of minutes and opportunity to contribute, he'll sign with Dallas and play alongside the first good PG of his career.

*edit*

I see he decided to play for the Celtics. Good for him. I think they could still be the team to beat in the east. He's friends with Pierce and he has a great PG to play with that can put him in good position to get some easy baskets.

Speed
07-08-2010, 02:12 PM
JO signed with Boston I just saw.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/67978/20100708/jermaine_agrees_to_deal_with_boston/

"I thinks he's done, I don't think he has anything left." Me 2 years ago

CableKC
07-08-2010, 02:30 PM
JO signed with Boston I just saw.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/67978/20100708/jermaine_agrees_to_deal_with_boston/

"I thinks he's done, I don't think he has anything left." Me 2 years ago
Going to the Celtics maybe good for the remaining years in his career...JONeal is going into a system where he will ( at most ) be relied upon to pretty much stand around and watch Rondo, Pierce, Allen and KG. Sounds perfect for him if you ask me.

Bball
07-08-2010, 03:08 PM
Now that he's a Celtic does that mean he's in play for a return to Pacerland at some point?

Slick Pinkham
07-08-2010, 03:21 PM
A 2 year deal means that after next year he is valuable again, and becomes known again as "the expiring contract of Jermaine O'Neal"

joew8302
07-08-2010, 03:26 PM
Man, six years ago the Celtics would have been downright scary. I mean Pierce, JO, Garnett and Ray Allen? Yikes!