PDA

View Full Version : LeBron reportedly to announce decision during 1 hour ESPN special Thursday night

Kegboy
07-07-2010, 08:50 AM
I know a lot of you hate LeBron, but I've never had a problem with him. But this is way over the top in my opinion. Yes, I know he never got to have one of these in high school where he had the hats lined up in front of him. But if he goes through this song and dance and doesn't pick Cleveland, talk about turning the knife.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5359255

Sources: LeBron decision Thursday

<HR SIZE=1 width="100%" noShade>ESPN.com news services

LeBron James is planning to announce the team with which he will sign during a one-hour special on ESPN Thursday night, ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard has learned through independent sources.

ESPN would only confirm that active discussions for the special are ongoing. But sources tell Broussard that representatives for James contacted the network, proposing that James makes his announcement during a 9 p.m. ET special.

Those sources said that James' representatives requested they be allowed to sell sponsorship for the one-hour special, with the proceeds going to the Boys and Girls Clubs of America, and that ESPN agreed to the proposal but had not been told what James has decided. <!-- begin inline 1 -->

<!-- end inline 1 -->
The NBA's most prized free agent opened a Twitter account on Tuesday and posted his first message on the social networking site. While he provided no information about his future plans, at least he offered something as the NBA awaits the decision on where he'll play next.

"Hello World, the Real King James is in the Building," said the tweet on the kingjames feed, which by 9 p.m. ET had more than 167,000 followers.

James' publicist, Keith Estabrook, confirmed the superstar's entrance to Twitter, a place where fellow prized free agents Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh often post details about their public lives off the floor.

James' plans still are a closely guarded secret. He visited with six teams -- the New Jersey Nets, New York Knicks, Miami Heat, Los Angeles Clippers, Cleveland Cavaliers and Chicago Bulls -- last week at his business offices in downtown Cleveland and may have made up his mind already. But until he gives word, other teams are positioning themselves to make a run at the 6-foot-8, 260-pound All-Star -- or Bosh or Wade, or maybe a combination.

There have been various reports that the Toronto Raptors were working on a sign-and-trade deal with Cleveland for Bosh, and that James is trying to convince him to join the Cavaliers.

Both James and Bosh are aware that such a trade is possible, and James has tried to recruit Bosh to the Cavaliers several times in the past few weeks, sources told Broussard.

But right now, Bosh remains cold to the idea of playing in Cleveland.

Like James, Wade and Bosh have remained noncommittal about where they'll sign.

The Cavaliers are hopeful that will change, because in Cleveland, Bosh can meet two of his top priorities: playing with James, and getting a six-year, $125 million contract.

If Bosh joins a team without doing a sign-and-trade, he will be able to sign only a five-year deal worth $96 million. He is determined not to leave that $29 million on the table, sources told Broussard.

Although Bosh wants to play with James, he wants to do it in Chicago, Miami or New Jersey. Sources told Broussard he has told the Raptors those are the teams he would like to go to in a sign-and-trade.

Unsure of James' decision, the Nets have a Plan B in case he rejects their offer.

The agent for Knicks forward David Lee says the Nets have talked to him several times since free agency began on Thursday.

An official within the league who is very close to the Nets' management team said the team would also consider going after Utah Jazz forward Carlos Boozer if James rejected the offer that was presented by new owner Mikhail Prokhorov and a team that included hip-hop mogul Jay-Z.

Nets president and general manager Rod Thorn said in a text message on Tuesday that there was nothing to report on the free-agency front.

Asked about the Nets' options if The King nixes their overtures, Thorn wrote:

"We will look at other options if we don't get one of the top guys."

While James is the star attraction in this summer's stacked class of free agents, other players have either stayed home or found a new one. On Monday, Amare Stoudemire agreed to a five-year deal with the Knicks and said he would continue to recruit James to join him.

Information from ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard and The Associated Press was used in this report.

maragin
07-07-2010, 08:56 AM
This move doesn't seem classy.

duke dynamite
07-07-2010, 08:57 AM
I reserved an hour on national television to declare that I am choosing White Castle for lunch.

bphil
07-07-2010, 08:59 AM
Are they going to have a bunch of caps on the table and then the one he puts on is the team he's signing with?

Corny.

duke dynamite
07-07-2010, 09:02 AM
Are they going to have a bunch of caps on the table and then the one he puts on is the team he's signing with?

Corny.
No, the caps will be blank. They will put a small ping pong ball with a team logo on it, then shuffle the caps around. When they stop shuffling, whichever cap he picks, he goes to that team.

And since it's the LeBron sweepstakes, the losers get a consolation prize:

...they get their hat back.

Kegboy
07-07-2010, 09:02 AM
If he announced right at the beginning and then he discussed his reasoning and the process for an hour in an exclusive interview, that'd be okay. But I have the feeling this is gonna be an American Idol results show that they drag out until the last second. Maybe they can get Ryan Seacrest.

duke dynamite
07-07-2010, 09:13 AM
If he announced right at the beginning and then he discussed his reasoning and the process for an hour in an exclusive interview, that'd be okay. But I have the feeling this is gonna be an American Idol results show that they drag out until the last second. Maybe they can get Ryan Seacrest.
No, he's joining "So You Think You Can Dance"...with Shaq.

http://upnextinsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/sports-pictures-james-oneal-go-girl.jpg

Kegboy
07-07-2010, 09:14 AM
Actually, I've got a better idea. They should have The Bachelor, where they line up Byron Scott, Jay-Z, Mark Cuban, Pat Riley, Donald Sterling, Jerry Reinsdorf, and Donnie in his wheelchair. They could eliminate them in stages, and then have side interviews with a catty Pat Riley mouthing off that he doesn't need LeBron cause he got Bosh, or Reinsdorf speaking whistfully about Jordan and that maybe he's only allowed to have one great love in his life. Jay-Z could cry his eyes out about how LeBron led him on for years and he thought it was true love. It'd be epic!

Kegboy
07-07-2010, 09:26 AM
Ken Berger at CBS agrees that if LeBron bails on Cleveland this way, it instantly turns him into a huge villian. They'd need the WWF guy there to narrate the proceedings.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/13609236?tag=pageRow;pageContainer

Also, surely this moniker has been used, but I'd never heard it before. Mike Freeman dubs him LeFavre James.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6264363/23045834?tag=pageRow;pageContainer

duke dynamite
07-07-2010, 09:33 AM
Maybe they'll make a live action/animated movie after this, and put clips of the presser in the movie.

I can see it now...

bellisimo
07-07-2010, 09:42 AM
this is just obsurd...unless he found a cure for cancer, he doesn't need to make a 1 hour special...he might be good but last time i checked he still has to win a ring...

pizza guy
07-07-2010, 09:46 AM
Yeah, that seems a little over-the-top to me. But, at least all this "where will he go?" noise will be over and maybe the rest of the league can move on with summer.

--pizza

Shade
07-07-2010, 09:52 AM
I never thought I would see an NBA player whose ego exceeded Michael Jordan's.

I was wrong.

Justin Tyme
07-07-2010, 10:05 AM
I never thought I would see an NBA player whose ego exceeded Michael Jordan's.

I was wrong.

It will be interesting to see if his ego will allow him to re-sign with the Cavs after the booing he rec'd from the fans in the playoffs. I'll be surprised if he does. If he does, it will be due to the extra year and the extra millions he can make. Then in 2-3 years with no ring he'll DEMAND to be traded. James is a great talent, but too much of a prima donna drama queen for my liking. I'd much rather he signed with a WC team and get out of the EC. He just grates on me something terribly.

BRushWithDeath
07-07-2010, 10:06 AM
LeBron and his people will sell sponsorships of the show, with the money going to the Boys & Girls Clubs of America, according to ESPN.

This will generate a lot of money for a pretty worthwhile charity.

Swish
07-07-2010, 10:09 AM
Hey, LeBron:

http://www.techbandits.com/kickball/gmot/images/week4/douchebag.jpg

DocHolliday
07-07-2010, 10:10 AM
What a dip****.

Rupert Stilinski
07-07-2010, 10:16 AM

Agreed. Like it or not, tons of people care. It's been the biggest story of the summer, and rightly so. It might seem over the top, because it is, but I don't think it's as big of a deal as many seem to think.

In my opinion, there are now only two possible options for Lebron. He either stays in Cleveland (what I think will happen) or he goes to Miami and plays with Wade and Bosh. Chicago seems to have been left out in the cold.

vnzla81
07-07-2010, 10:24 AM
I think he is staying in Cleveland, if he was going to leave to go to Miami he won't be doing it by himself, he would be doing it with the other guys(Wade and Bosh)

Rupert Stilinski
07-07-2010, 10:25 AM
I think he is staying in Cleveland, if he was going to leave to go to Miami he won't be doing it by himself, he should be doing it with the other guys(Wade and Bosh)

That's exactly the situation. It's already been reported that Wade and Bosh have agreed to play in Miami.

The only other team with a chance is New York since they at least got Amare, but I don't know if he's that big of a draw for Lebron anyway.

vnzla81
07-07-2010, 10:34 AM
That's exactly the situation. It's already been reported that Wade and Bosh have agreed to play in Miami.

The only other team with a chance is New York since they at least got Amare, but I don't know if he's that big of a draw for Lebron anyway.

I would pick Amare over Bosh any day. I still don't understand why all this guys believe that Bosh is the missing piece :confused:

Sollozzo
07-07-2010, 10:34 AM
On one hand, signing with another team in a nationally televised spectacle is rubbing it in Cleveland's face pretty badly and is pretty cold.

On the other hand, having a one hour special to merely announce you are re-signing with Cleveland is very boring......

It's going to be very interesting.

If he decides to go to Miami, wonder if he'll drag Wade and Bosh out there with him as a way of saying "Hey NBA, look what you have to deal with now....."

Rupert Stilinski
07-07-2010, 10:35 AM
Several of my friends up in Chicago are going absolutely nuts right now. The Bulls have to be considered the huuuuuge losers in all of this free agency madness.

Sollozzo
07-07-2010, 10:51 AM
Following the Bulls and Knicks Real GM forums throughout all of this has been entertaining.

vnzla81
07-07-2010, 10:52 AM
the Bulls the Nets and New York are going to be losers

Hicks
07-07-2010, 10:58 AM
You'd think he's staying, but is a 1-hour ESPN special really necessary just to say you're going to play for the team you've already been with the past seven years?

Speed
07-07-2010, 10:59 AM
If he's not staying, it's a major PR blunder to have this special, imo.

It's funny, I think Cleveland presents the worst chance at a championship.

I'd pick Chicago or NJ, by far, if winning it all is the goal.

Sollozzo
07-07-2010, 11:08 AM
You'd think he's staying, but is a 1-hour ESPN special really necessary just to say you're going to play for the team you've already been with the past seven years?

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Either way people will be ticked off. If he leaves, there will be people upset that he's rubbing it in Cleveland's face on national TV. But if he stays, you'll have quite a bit of upset people staying "we waited around to just watch him say he's staying with the Cavs?"

I personally think he'll open the hour up by thanking the fans of Cleveland, saying he did all he good, blah blah blah then announce he's signing with the Knicks.

vnzla81
07-07-2010, 11:11 AM

I don't think he is going to say in national tv that he is leaving Cleveland, who knows he is maybe bringing somebody else with him to the press conference Boozer? Lee? Shaq? Allen? Travis Diener?

Brad8888
07-07-2010, 11:11 AM
An utter lack of professionalism on Lebron's part, as well as ESPN and the NBA. If Lebron wants to donate a couple million to Boys and Girls Clubs of America, fine, go right ahead, but he should do it himself, and do so quietly.

Lebron should sign for vet minimum money with a performance bonus that increases as his team, wherever that may be, increases in wins for the regular season, and with each passing round of the playoffs that his team makes it through. Or, he should take vet minimum money and stay in Cleveland and allow the Cavs to build a team around him. His endorsement money would go through the roof due to this perceived selflessness, and he might get a ring or two out of the deal. Or, he should sign with New Orleans with CP3 and donate a portion of his salary to the devastated southern Lousianna economy. Again, his perceived selflessness would net him endorsements that would far surpass his "sacrifice". Obviously, neither of these occurs, but a guy can dream, can't he?

What will likely happen? Either New York or Cleveland, with an outside shot at Miami, for max money. Of those, the game is played with one ball, eliminating Miami. That leaves the original assumptions of New York and Cleveland. Tough choice for him to either villify himself to the huge NY fanbase or his "home town". Ultimately, the decision then becomes pretty easy...other than Drew Carey, few care about Cleveland, and even a few area residents wouldn't blame Lebron for wanting to maximize his earnings by heading to the Big Apple.

His Yankees cap is already well broken in. I bet he will not hesitate to put that on before switching it to a Knicks cap.

duke dynamite
07-07-2010, 11:34 AM
Regardless what he says tomorrow, everyone will be eating this up. ESPN getting the slot for this pretty much sums it up.

Another example is that they've been on top of Favre Watch 2007, 2008, 2009...so on, they want to be the ones to cram it down everyone's throat.

"We don't care where LeBron goes, just as long as you heard it from us!"

Young
07-07-2010, 11:40 AM
How can anyone really be upset or suprised about this?

At least some money will be going to a good cause. I mean after all the hype and the time ESPN and the other reporters have spent talking about Lebron and this free agent draft class it isn't like a one hour special is a big deal.

And if he leaves Cleveland this way he leaves. Who cares how he announces his decision if Lebron leaves Cleveland lets not pretend like he won't be hated by a lot...he will.

Also some are acting like this was all Lebron's idea. Maybe it was. I know it reports it was his people's idea but I wouldn't be suprised if it was really ESPN's idea. Who is really going to benefit the most from this....ESPN. If Lebron was so into being recruited he would have gone to New York, Miami, Chicago, etc and not have meant with those teams in Cleveland.

Swish
07-07-2010, 12:06 PM
At least some money will be going to a good cause.

This is such a BS line of thinking. It's not like LeBron needs a reason to cut a charity a check. In fact, the ONLY reason any money is going to charity in this event is so people like you will say, "Well, at least some money is going to charity" and maybe convince a few people that LeBron isn't a douchebag. Looks like they pegged you pretty well.

Sookie
07-07-2010, 12:21 PM
well he's been rubbing me the wrong way for years now..

I hope he goes to Miami. There's only one ball. And Lebron getting an hour long show without Wade and Bosh would get things started well.. :D

judicata
07-07-2010, 12:34 PM
This is such a BS line of thinking. It's not like LeBron needs a reason to cut a charity a check. In fact, the ONLY reason any money is going to charity in this event is so people like you will say, "Well, at least some money is going to charity" and maybe convince a few people that LeBron isn't a douchebag. Looks like they pegged you pretty well.

We can't think this event is douchey and still be glad that money is going to charity?

Swish
07-07-2010, 12:34 PM
If he's going to Miami, he's bringing Bosh and Wade onto this show, too. Neither of them have announced they are signing with Miami (or anywhere else) just some random "source".

LAPacer
07-07-2010, 12:35 PM
For a forum of people that love basketball... there is an awful lot of hate for the most dominant player since Jordan to have a press conference on a sports network. Yes the guy is a little arrogant, but he actually backs it up with his play. If he had Bynum, Gasol, Artest, Odom on his team, they might have one 80 games and people would stop talking like not winning a ring makes him such a bad player.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I'd be the happiest basketball fan ever if he signed with the Pacers. Outside of Jordan, Magic, Russell, or Bird in their primes, this is the most significant impact player to a franchise.

-Mentioning the Boys and Girls Club helps draw attention to donating to those organizations. I'm sure he donates money outside of that and isn't trying to get a good word in for himself.

-A one hour special on a sports network isn't that big of a deal. They have press conferences for introducing Paul George to the team. Michael Jackson had prime time video premiere specials on network television. They have press conferences for Kobe to cry and apologize to his wife. If you don't like it, just don't watch it. This is the biggest news in basketball right now so no big deal.

-If you were the best player on the planet and had options and cared about winning, you don't have to re-sign with Cleveland.

-The guy is only in his mid 20's and still growing up though he seems to handle the pressure well above average for a superstar.

Swish
07-07-2010, 12:35 PM
We can't think this event is douchey and still be glad that money is going to charity?

You can, but the phrase "at least" is a justification, and there's no justification for this.

Kraft
07-07-2010, 12:37 PM
Several of my friends up in Chicago are going absolutely nuts right now. The Bulls have to be considered the huuuuuge losers in all of this free agency madness.

Giving up a useful player in Hinrich and their No. 1 for cap room just seems brilliant at the moment.

They absolutely need a guy like Boozer to sign there now, just to save face. And that's a meh signing.

Justin Tyme
07-07-2010, 12:46 PM
If Lebron was so into being recruited he would have gone to New York, Miami, Chicago, etc and not have meant with those teams in Cleveland.

It's an ego trip to have them come to him. He's a drama queen that lives on being constantly in the spot light even if he has to create it to get the attention.

Kegboy
07-07-2010, 12:49 PM

Hopefully they'll keep their cap space and not pull a Detroit.

Justin Tyme
07-07-2010, 12:50 PM
Outside of Jordan, Magic, Russell, or Bird in their primes, this is the most significant impact player to a franchise.

You might want to add Wilt to that list.

Kegboy
07-07-2010, 12:54 PM

I heard something about these guys having film crews follow them around in plans of a documentary. Maybe they've already cut the footage and will show that. Only useful way I can think of them to fill an hour.

King Tuts Tomb
07-07-2010, 12:55 PM
For a forum of people that love basketball... there is an awful lot of hate for the most dominant player since Jordan to have a press conference on a sports network. Yes the guy is a little arrogant, but he actually backs it up with his play. If he had Bynum, Gasol, Artest, Odom on his team, they might have one 80 games and people would stop talking like not winning a ring makes him such a bad player.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I'd be the happiest basketball fan ever if he signed with the Pacers. Outside of Jordan, Magic, Russell, or Bird in their primes, this is the most significant impact player to a franchise.

-Mentioning the Boys and Girls Club helps draw attention to donating to those organizations. I'm sure he donates money outside of that and isn't trying to get a good word in for himself.

-A one hour special on a sports network isn't that big of a deal. They have press conferences for introducing Paul George to the team. Michael Jackson had prime time video premiere specials on network television. They have press conferences for Kobe to cry and apologize to his wife. If you don't like it, just don't watch it. This is the biggest news in basketball right now so no big deal.

-If you were the best player on the planet and had options and cared about winning, you don't have to re-sign with Cleveland.

-The guy is only in his mid 20's and still growing up though he seems to handle the pressure well above average for a superstar.

Agree 100%. People just love to hate for some reason.

LeBron's been the ideal superstar for the entirety of his pro career. Never been in trouble with the law, always gives his all, treats his teammates exceedingly well. Also comes off as smart and funny and a genuinely good person in interviews.

We're lucky as fans to have this guy represent the league.

duke dynamite
07-07-2010, 01:00 PM
For a forum of people that love basketball... there is an awful lot of hate for the most dominant player since Jordan to have a press conference on a sports network.

Yeah, but that was Michael Jackson. THE Michael Jackson.

Michael Jackson>LeBron James

And I don't love basketball, I love the Pacers, outside of them, I could care less about the NBA.

bphil
07-07-2010, 01:08 PM
Please, please, please let ESPN cut in on this broadcast with breaking news that Kobe has been arrested for possession of "purple drank"...

LAPacer
07-07-2010, 01:09 PM
Yeah, but that was Michael Jackson. THE Michael Jackson.

Michael Jackson>LeBron James

Thats why MJ did it on network television and Lebron just gets ESPN. No one else does video premiers on network television. Press conferences on sports networks happen all the time.

And I don't love basketball, I love the Pacers, outside of them, I could care less about the NBA.

The only thing I agree with here is the Pacers. I don't like many of the personalities of the NBA, but it is organization with the best basketball players in the world. And basketball is the best sport ever invented.

Tom White
07-07-2010, 01:09 PM

That is a good point, and is absolutely true. However, in my mind it is all about him getting all the attention, with a good deed thrown in.

Maybe ESPN could do a lead-in segment replaying his rancid play in the Boston series. What was that, game 5?

duke dynamite
07-07-2010, 01:11 PM
Thats why MJ did it on network television and Lebron just gets ESPN. No one else does video premiers on network television. Press conferences on sports networks happen all the time.

ESPN is big enough. I wouldn't make it out to be apples to oranges here.

The only thing I agree with here is the Pacers. I don't like many of the personalities of the NBA, but it is organization with the best basketball players in the world. And basketball is the best sport ever invented.
I can't agree with that, but I won't say you are wrong to believe it.

Tom White
07-07-2010, 01:11 PM

Yeah, this would be strike two for Chicago.

They could always bring back Ron Mercer.

Kstat
07-07-2010, 01:12 PM

....so you love the pacers for....what reason?

Swish
07-07-2010, 01:12 PM
I wonder how many people defending LeBron think Brett Favre is all drama.

duke dynamite
07-07-2010, 01:13 PM
....so you love the pacers for....what reason?
Because it's my team.

Swish
07-07-2010, 01:13 PM

This isn't a press conference. Press conferences take 10 minutes. This is an hour long A/V BJ.

duke dynamite
07-07-2010, 01:14 PM
This isn't a press conference. Press conferences take 10 minutes. This is an hour long A/V BJ.
Ah-maz-ing.

cdash
07-07-2010, 01:14 PM
Honestly guys it's the middle of summer. What have you got better to do than culminate these 3 years of speculation and posturing with a one hour TV special? I'm just glad it's coming to an end.

Tom White
07-07-2010, 01:18 PM
Please, please, please let ESPN cut in on this broadcast with breaking news that Kobe has been arrested for possession of "purple drank"...

You know, it would be an absolute riot if they interrupted this for an announcement about Favre returning or not.

BillS
07-07-2010, 01:21 PM
If anyone knows what it is like to be not just screwed over but screwed over on national television, it's the Pacers. I feel really bad for the actual Cleveland fans - it is bad enough to get broken up with, it is a million times worse to have it happen on stage in front of thousands and have everyone loving the other person and ignoring you.

Having it live on ESPN - fine, why not, it's news.

Having it be an hour long - give me a frickin' break.

Hicks
07-07-2010, 01:22 PM
Put me down under "This is really, really over the top, but I'm not upset about it, either." Par for the course with LeBron and ESPN. Whoopty do.

Sollozzo
07-07-2010, 01:26 PM

10 years after striking out on Duncan, Tmac and Hill (which was a good thing in hindsight), it looks like the Bulls have struck out again.

duke dynamite
07-07-2010, 01:36 PM
If anyone knows what it is like to be not just screwed over but screwed over on national television, it's the Pacers. I feel really bad for the actual Cleveland fans - it is bad enough to get broken up with, it is a million times worse to have it happen on stage in front of thousands and have everyone loving the other person and ignoring you.

Having it live on ESPN - fine, why not, it's news.

Having it be an hour long - give me a frickin' break.
This reminds me of the Simpsons Episode, I Love Lisa.

Ralph Wiggum didn't get a valentine in class, so Lisa gave him a valentine. Ralph was under the impression that Lisa was his girlfriend.

Chief Wiggum gave Ralph and Lisa tickets to the Krusty Special, and Krusty went up to Ralph and he proclaimed his love for Lisa over the air, live. Lisa then snapped and it wrenched Ralph's heart.

Basically, it's kind of the same if LeBron says he's leaving Cleveland tomorrow on ESPN.

http://sharetv.org/images/medium/the_simpsons/350454.jpg

Trophy
07-07-2010, 01:37 PM
Thank god this is gonna be over with.

HC
07-07-2010, 01:41 PM
I have to agree with the majority of you. Who but Lebron would think himself to be this significant? Is it not enough that he has already dominated the airwaves, and held a portion of the NBA and it's fanbase hostage for the past month? Is it not enough that even after this announcement the ESPN's of the world will continue to milk this day in and day out for another two weeks? And yeah, why should Lebron need a reason to cut a check to charity? He is a multi-millionaire. Nothing but a ploy to make people feel good about watching his spectacle, and draw the focus away from how much of an attention whore he is.

duke dynamite
07-07-2010, 01:54 PM
I do hopes he stays in Cleveland. With Bosh and Wade in the Western Conference, I expect James to choose a team in the Eastern Conference. I guess that means the Bulls, Knicks, Nets, or Cavs.
Wait? When did Miami move to the west coast?

I hope someone told Scarface.

thewholefnshow31
07-07-2010, 02:00 PM
I really hope he is just doing this thing from his home or somewhere on the ESPN campus. I just cannot see him doing this anywhere in Akron. If he is somewhere in Akron he has to be staying in Cleveland or he is the biggest douchebag on the planet to announce he is leaving in front of people from that area.

Talk about a gain punch in the gut.

I have always loved watching Lebron play, but his ego seriously is out of control. A hour long special to say I am going to x team or I am staying here in Cleveland? At least Jordan won some championships which warranted his ego.

Drewtone
07-07-2010, 02:35 PM
Here's where I'm at with both ESPN and LeBron:

http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz326/drewtone/Fonzie.jpg

btowncolt
07-07-2010, 02:36 PM
I wear short jorts every day too.

Swish
07-07-2010, 02:38 PM
Nice Jump the Shark reference. I wish that site was still around.

vnzla81
07-07-2010, 02:43 PM
Ok I been thinking about this press conference and realize that there is maybe one owner from the last four reamining teams(Chicago,New York, New Jersey, Miami) that loves the spot light and is creating this whole one hour press conference thing, my prediction is that Lebron's next team is going to be the New Jersey Nets

vnzla81
07-07-2010, 02:54 PM
We should also get a clue about where Lebron is going by listening to Bosh today and the reason why did not wanted to go to Cleveland in fact the guy is losing 30mil dollars by not doing this.

Sollozzo
07-07-2010, 03:16 PM
Lebron making the announcement in Greenwich, CT according to newsday. Greenwich is about an hour from NY and is essentially one of the most elite suburbs of NYC, FWIW.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/knicks/the-knicks-fix-1.812055/lebron-will-make-announcement-in-greenwich-conn-1.2086121?qr=1

If that is in fact true, then I have a really really hard time believing he would go up to Greenwich tomorrow to announce that he is re-signing with the Cavs when he is in Akron right now. That would be very bizarre.

HC
07-07-2010, 03:25 PM
Lebron making the announcement in Greenwich, CT according to newsday. Greenwich is about an hour from NY and is essentially one of the most elite suburbs of NYC, FWIW.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/knicks/the-knicks-fix-1.812055/lebron-will-make-announcement-in-greenwich-conn-1.2086121?qr=1

If that is in fact true, then I have a really really hard time believing he would go up to Greenwich Yes, but this whole thing is kind of bizzare imo.tomorrow to announce that he is re-signing with the Cavs when he is in Akron right now. That would be very bizarre.

Isn't it already?

Speed
07-07-2010, 03:29 PM
Look at Grenwich on a map.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Greenwich&state=CT&country=US&latitude=41.026402&longitude=-73.628899&geocode=CITY

It's right by New York, but close to New Jersey. Where is ESPNs main campus though, isn't it in Conn?

vnzla81
07-07-2010, 03:31 PM

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Greenwich&state=CT&country=US&latitude=41.026402&longitude=-73.628899&geocode=CITY

It's right by New York, but close to New Jersey. Where is ESPNs main campus though, isn't it in Conn?

Is also really close to the Bronx were the new building is going to be

Since86
07-07-2010, 03:33 PM

Yes, Bristol.

EDIT: According to Google Map, Greenwich and Bristol are 75miles apart (roughly), which would take an estimated hour and a half driving time, with three routes available to take.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=s&utm_campaign=en&utm_source=en-ha-na-us-sk-gm&utm_medium=ha&utm_term=map

Sollozzo
07-07-2010, 03:35 PM

ESPN's studios are in Bristol, which is almost 2 hours from Greenwich. Greenwich is much much closer to NYC.

This writer for the NY Daily News is tweeting that the production could be at Alan Houston's house.
http://twitter.com/FisolaNYDN/status/17971943177

Sollozzo
07-07-2010, 04:08 PM
Here's what has to be alarming for Lebron when it comes to staying in Cleveland:

Lebron is the global icon. Lebron is going to be the best player in the league for the next 8 years or so. Lebron's teams are pretty much guaranteed to win 50+ games from this point on. Yet Chris Bosh apparently said NO to joining Lebron in Cleveland via sign and trade, forfeiting 30 million dollars and an extra year in the process, so he could go down to South Florida with Wade. After seeing Bosh reject him, Lebron had to think "man, maybe I really never will be able to recruit someone to Cleveland."

Like I said a couple of days ago, the Amare signing was brilliant because it at least put New York in the picture. The Knicks will also have more flexibility with Eddy Curry's contract coming off of the books. All of that combined with the fact that's NYC makes it very likely, IMO, that Lebron will be announcing he's going to the Knicks tomorrow.

FrenchConnection
07-07-2010, 04:19 PM
Here's what has to be alarming for Lebron when it comes to staying in Cleveland:

Lebron is the global icon. Lebron is going to be the best player in the league for the next 8 years or so. Lebron's teams are pretty much guaranteed to win 50+ games from this point on. Yet Chris Bosh apparently said NO to joining Lebron in Cleveland via sign and trade, forfeiting 30 million dollars and an extra year in the process, so he could go down to South Florida with Wade. After seeing Bosh reject him, Lebron had to think "man, maybe I really never will be able to recruit someone to Cleveland."

Like I said a couple of days ago, the Amare signing was brilliant because it at least put New York in the picture. The Knicks will also have more flexibility with Eddy Curry's contract coming off of the books. All of that combined with the fact that's NYC makes it very likely, IMO, that Lebron will be announcing he's going to the Knicks tomorrow.

But think about what this means for us and all the other small market teams. You can draft a hometown superstar and then when push come to shove, they run to a big market and/or warm weather. Cleveland, Indiana, NO, Charlotte, etc. are essentially the Washington Generals just there to provide opponents before the playoff rounds when the real competition begins. We can all act like "I'm savvy to the process that this is all just business" but that process makes being a fan of a team like the Pacers in the modern NBA pointless.

vnzla81
07-07-2010, 04:29 PM
But think about what this means for us and all the other small market teams. You can draft a hometown superstar and then when push come to shove, they run to a big market and/or warm weather. Cleveland, Indiana, NO, Charlotte, etc. are essentially the Washington Generals just there to provide opponents before the playoff rounds when the real competition begins. We can all act like "I'm savvy to the process that this is all just business" but that process makes being a fan of a team like the Pacers in the modern NBA pointless.

yeah Cleveland was not even able to get Artest or Odom last year, they have freaking Lebron James and can't sign a mid level free agent

Sookie
07-07-2010, 04:41 PM
yeah Cleveland was not even able to get Artest or Odom last year, they have freaking Lebron James and can't sign a mid level free agent

Both wanted to play for the Lakers. Which has freaking Kobe Bryant..and a big city. And at this point, Lebron is making Kobe look down to earth.

This year, I'd imagine free agents wouldn't want to sign there because they don't think Lebron is staying.

focused444
07-07-2010, 04:50 PM

I think they only way he would have definitely stayed was winning a championship or two in Cleveland, but then he could justify leaving on a "mission accomplished" level. Lebron's ego is so crazy I cant use him as the standard though.

focused444
07-07-2010, 04:54 PM
Does anyone else have a guess how this show will actually go?

Im thinking 10 min intro, then 5 min announcement, then "expert" analysis...

They wouldn't hold out the last min of this thing, would they?

focused444
07-07-2010, 04:57 PM
Ha, Bill Simmons had a reader predict this show in a November mailbag...

http://twitter.com/SportsGuy33

"My Thanksgiving '09 mailbag where a reader predicted a 1-hr "LeBron's Choice" free agency special:"http://tinyurl.com/ygktbd2

GizzyStardust
07-07-2010, 04:58 PM
Great article on Yahoo! Sports, with the caption: "No-Ring Circus".

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Ap94EwSYJjbIM.3G08NCB628vLYF?slug=aw-lebrondecision070710

State of LeBron: Live at 9, from his ego
by Adrian Wojnarowski

The Championship of Me comes crashing into a primetime cable infomercial that LeBron James(notes) and his cronies have been working to make happen for months, a slow, cynical churning of manufactured drama that sports has never witnessed. As historic monuments go, this is the Rushmore of basketball hubris and narcissism. The vacuous star for our vacuous times. All about ‘Bron and all about nothing.

James is throwing a few foosball tables at Boys & Girls Clubs, an empty gesture out of the empty superstar. He’s turned free agency into the title of our times, a preening pageant of fawning, begging and pleading. Hard-working people are dragged into municipalities and told to hold signs, chant scripted slogans and beg a diva who doesn’t care about them to accept a $100 million contract.

Privately, Dwyane Wade(notes) and Chris Bosh(notes) weren’t pleased on Wednesday morning with the belief that James’ camp was responsible for leaking their plans to a television partner, but then again it makes perfect sense: This isn’t about Wade and Bosh choosing the Heat. It’s about LeBron getting the stage to himself on Thursday night.

One front-office executive whose team made a presentation to LeBron James told Yahoo! Sports that he believes James is choosing between Miami and Cleveland. And yet, if James wants to deliver the biggest kick in the gut to his hometown, he’ll pick the flat-lined New York Knicks. Whatever the decision, he’s made clear that the teasing and tormenting of the loser isn’t his concern.

Team LeBron is having the time of its life, but has no idea the repercussions of what it’s done here. All that comes to James now is the biggest burden to win a championship that sports has ever seen. They aren’t making James a bigger star with this big-top, but a bigger target. All those teams that marched into the presentations and listened to some of the foolish and naiuml;ve questions asked of them believed these kids had no idea what they were doing, or what they had gotten themselves into. They’re all feeling more validated every day. From beginning to end, this process has been a farce.

On James’ new website, under the headline dubbing this TV debacle “The Decision,” there come these words: “Maverick Carter, CEO of LRMR Marketing said…” This explains everything. Carter’s marketing company isn’t doing so well trying to get its one client Jonny Flynn(notes) a used-car dealership endorsement in the Twin Cities, and now Carter’s going to try to justify all that plush office space, staff attorneys, private planes and resort hotels by translating the Championship of Me into the making of his reputation.

Carter’s pushed one agent – Aaron Goodwin – and one advisor – William Wesley – aside because he wanted to be the voice in James’ ear and the one getting credit on the masthead. So far, Carter’s been a superstar at spending James’ money on LRMR, but now he’s getting the company name out there and turning LeBron into Mr. July after LeBron didn’t have the stomach to be Mr. June.

Team LeBron had discussed a documentary on the free-agent process, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reported, but the narrative changed after James’ Game 5 meltdown in the Eastern Conference semifinals. Carter says there was never a plan for a free-agent tour, but this is what he means: There was never a plan for James to get held accountable, to have his motivations and priorities called into doubt. There was never a plan for the blame to shift from Danny Ferry, Mike Brown and his Cavaliers teammates. There was never a plan that real-world rules applied to the self-proclaimed King.

They scrapped the tour, the documentary and set sights on hijacking the network for an unprecedented special they believe will elevate James’ brand. Only, James has never looked smaller, never more insecure and unsure of who he is and what he wants to be. He won’t look so much like Kobe Bryant(notes) and David Beckham, but rather a three-star linebacker from Shaker Heights picking Bowling Green over Kent and Ohio U. on local access television.

Team LeBron has known all along it was going to do this, and the cushy, protective relationship with that television network culminates with a basketball player commandeering his own coverage on his own terms. Now James and his buddies spoon out misdirection plays on his possible destination – feeding everyone for days and weeks that the Knicks were dead, only to say now, “Well…who knows?” – to build back drama for the infomercial.

This is some plan they’ve hatched and some game they’re playing with those Cleveland fans who’ve been so relentlessly loyal to James. First, he marched the biggest suitors in the sport to come court him in downtown Cleveland with those pointless presentations. He wanted those people out there creating a visual public push-and-pull for him, and because James needed to be told something that probably isn’t completely true anymore: Cleveland loves him.

Well, Cleveland craves him. Love is a strong word, and it ought to be unconditional, but loving a sports hero is the most conditional kind of love there is. Only, it was different with Cleveland. He’s one of them, but you still have to wonder: Are they one of him?

James never shared that town’s angst with the Browns and Indians. He wanted winners in his life, and rooted for the Dallas Cowboys and New York Yankees. He doesn’t feel the pain of a city’s broken heart. Shaquille O’Neal(notes) leaving the Orlando Magic for the Los Angeles Lakers 14 years ago was a hard hit, but LeBron bailing on Cleveland is far more devastating on a different level.

Everyone ridicules Cleveland, makes it a butt of jokes, but LeBron James has the chance to change all of that. And even then, it has to crush Cleveland’s sporting psyche that James could still walk out. If one of our own won’t stay, what does that say to the rest of the country?

That’s the hardest part here, and that makes the possibility that James would go on national television – with those split-screen shots of stunned fans in Akron and Cleveland – and completely crush those people so impossible to believe. He couldn’t be that cold, that callous, that cunning? Or perhaps, maybe this is all a rollout – the website, the Twitter page and the infomercial – to introduce a new LeBron, a new city, to the world.

Whatever happens, James and the television network will hide behind some money going to the Boys & Girls Clubs. But this isn’t about kids and sports, and it sure isn’t about the credibility that comes with winning championships. Something’s changed here, and LeBron James has gone a long way to devaluing winning and losing in the NBA. David Stern has long pushed the individual over team, marketed showy over substance, and LeBron James represents the manifestation of it all.

Greatest talent to ever walk into this league, the self-proclaimed King, and now everyone gets a front-row, primetime seat for how it means to live without self-awareness, without restraint. The vacuous star for our vacuous times, live on Thursday night and fitting himself for a ring as the undisputed Championship of Me. All about ‘Bron and all about nothing.

pacers74
07-07-2010, 05:14 PM
My way out of left field guess is, if he stays in Cleveland expect a trade with New Orleans for CP3. Lebron and CP3 together. It's just a guess, because they are friends and almost all of the big name free agents are going elsewhere.

tadscout
07-07-2010, 05:17 PM
My way out of left field guess is, if he stays in Cleveland expect a trade with New Orleans for CP3. Lebron and CP3 together. It's just a guess, because they are friends and almost all of the big name free agents are going elsewhere.

The NO President of Operations has came out at an event with Chris Paul and said they won't be trading him.

Basketball Fan
07-07-2010, 06:54 PM
I'm not LeBron's biggest fan however I'm actually not bothered by this

1) He screws over the media breaking the story by doing it himself. So nobody can get the "first scoop" because he'll be in control.

2) The sponsors for this special will be donating $$$ to charity

3) This could be Favre in which case this would've been a 2 hour special. Rather have Lebron Watch than Favre Watch

Brad8888
07-07-2010, 07:19 PM
That is the single best article I have ever seen written about Lebron, and is also the best article I have seen Wojnarowski write as well.

HC
07-07-2010, 07:51 PM
I'm not LeBron's biggest fan however I'm actually not bothered by this

1) He screws over the media breaking the story by doing it himself. So nobody can get the "first scoop" because he'll be in control.

2) The sponsors for this special will be donating $$$ to charity

3) This could be Favre in which case this would've been a 2 hour special. Rather have Lebron Watch than Favre Watch

1. He isn't screwing the media, he is handing ESPN the keys.

2. Donating the money to charity is nothing but a diversion.

3. Why, how many titles has Lebron won?

ksuttonjr76
07-07-2010, 11:53 PM
Frankly, I'm just happy that it's going to be over soon, so other teams can start calling Indiana to fill out their roster.

pwee31
07-08-2010, 12:33 AM
Ha, Bill Simmons had a reader predict this show in a November mailbag...

http://twitter.com/SportsGuy33

"My Thanksgiving '09 mailbag where a reader predicted a 1-hr "LeBron's Choice" free agency special:"http://tinyurl.com/ygktbd2

That's pretty crazy. That does make you wonder though?

Since Lebron came straight out of high school to the pros, I wonder if he's watch a couple college signing days and wonders what it felt like to be in that moment?

I understand profits are going to charity, but this is not all for charity.

I personally say it's pointless if his choice is Cleveland. Why make a big 1 hour special to announce that you're just going to re-sign with your current team?

Not even Wade who stayed in Miami, or Bosh who's joining him in Miami made a big deal of the signing and they were shooting a documentary.

If all this build up comes at 9PM only for Lebron to say I'm returning to the Cavs, I hope he takes his Akron celebration... shines it up real good, turns that sum:censored: sideways and sticks it straight up his candy :censored:

Sookie
07-08-2010, 12:55 AM
Frankly, I'm just happy that it's going to be over soon, so other teams can start calling Indiana to fill out their roster.

Does Miami need a point guard :D

ksuttonjr76
07-08-2010, 01:00 AM
Does Miami need a point guard :D

Miami needs a whole team!

pwee31
07-08-2010, 01:12 AM
Let's also not forgot the Heat have 3 2nd round draft picks they can sign as well in Dexter Pittman, Da'Sean Butler and Jarvis Varnado