PDA

View Full Version : Celtics and Lakers make a swap

Fool
08-06-2004, 02:38 PM
Lakers trade Gary Payton and Rick Fox for Chucky Atkins and Chris Mihm.

Hoopshype.com has it as possible and the LA sports station I stream over the internet is reporting it as having happened.

BostonConnection
08-06-2004, 02:42 PM
I saw that rumor. I'll check on the sports radio station that broadcasts the Celts games to see if they have anything...

BostonConnection
08-06-2004, 02:50 PM
1510 The Zone is reporting the trade as Chris Mihm, Marcus Banks, Chucky Atkins, and a future 2nd round pick to the Lakers for Gary Payton, Rick Fox, a future 1st round draft pick and money...

Jose Slaughter
08-06-2004, 02:58 PM
I thought I heard someone screaming at the top of their lungs earlier.

Now I know, it must have been Payton when he found out he had been traded to Boston.

BostonConnection
08-06-2004, 03:00 PM
I thought I heard someone screaming at the top of their lungs earlier.

Now I know, it must have been Payton when he found out he had been traded to Boston.

No kiddin' Jose, I can't see Payton being happy to end up on the East Coast, and in Boston of all places...:laugh:

ROCislandWarrior
08-06-2004, 03:08 PM
:o

First the Sonics...Now the Lakers...

I'm pretty sure this isn't how Payton wanted his career to end.

Pig Nash
08-06-2004, 03:09 PM
I don't think this changes either team very much.

Hicks
08-06-2004, 03:15 PM
Interesting. :o

Cactus Jax
08-06-2004, 03:21 PM
Can't believe that Boston would trade Banks AND Atkins just for Payton, aka cap space. Thought Banks was the future. That's a NICE trade by the Lakers.

Also this trade is now being reported by the world wide follower in sports ESPNews

BTW: I can log back in. :devil::angel:

BostonConnection
08-06-2004, 03:22 PM
It's funny, Ainge made a big deal about pulling the trigger on the deal that allowed Boston to get Banks on draft day, then Banks hardly plays on a team that was clearly rebuilding. Ainge compounds the lack of PT for Banks by trading with Detroit to get Chucky Atkins. Finally, Ainge ships Banks out for an aging Gary Payton. Curious.
:confused:

Perhaps the Celts feel that Payton would be a good mentor to rookie draft pick guard Delonte West...

Doug in CO
08-06-2004, 03:41 PM
Does anyone else revel in the fact that Rick Fox has to play for the dog-*** Celtics?

Hicks
08-06-2004, 03:43 PM
He did once already I think.

Cactus Jax
08-06-2004, 03:46 PM
Does anyone else revel in the fact that Rick Fox has to play for the dog-*** Celtics?

Fox started his career playing for the Celtics.

SycamoreKen
He did once already I think.

Fox played his 1st 6 seasons there.

BostonConnection

Hey, as long as Vanessa comes to Boston as part of the deal, that's all I care about...:eyebrow: ;)

And yes, this is Fox's 2nd tour of duty with Boston.

Doug in CO
08-06-2004, 03:47 PM
when theye were decent - I just think it is funny he has to play for a crap team

Gyron
08-06-2004, 03:48 PM
I revel in the fact that both Payton and Fox have to play on the dog-*** Celtics:) What would be even more gratifying to me would be to see the lakers not make the playoffs this year and see Miami either stomped in the first round of the playoffs or not make it at all either:)

I guess I hold a little grude against the former Whiney *** Lakers players:plot:

Pig Nash
08-06-2004, 03:49 PM
I echo Gyron's thoughts.

diego
08-06-2004, 03:53 PM
Ummm, making way for Kidd to come there is my opinion

Arcadian
08-06-2004, 04:44 PM
Isn't Fox considering retiring to pursue acting? If so he might just be cap room.

Boston has a slight chance of improving some depending on whether or not the triangle was Payton's problem. After all they could get an actual starting point guard giving up no real contributers except Chucky who was starting only because their other points were so bad.

It was a nothing trade outside cap ramifications.

Why did Danny make those trades last season with Detriot and Cleveland last year to only trade what he got for Payton and cap room? Is he on a mission to make Pitino look like a GM God?

Kegboy
08-06-2004, 04:47 PM
Sports Guy is happy. Note he says this is partly due to how high the Celtics are on their rookies.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/040806

Pig Nash
08-06-2004, 04:50 PM
anyone else find it weird that Boston and LA are trading players? far from the golden age eh?

Anthem
08-06-2004, 05:40 PM
That's a wild trade... it seems like Ainge could have gotten Payton for less.

I guess it all depends on the pick. Is it protected?

Who was it on this board that called Ainge a pick whore?

MSA2CF
08-06-2004, 06:03 PM
I like this trade for the Celtics...

I could care less about what happens to Rick "Pretty Boy" Fox...:pissed:

JOneal7
08-06-2004, 09:54 PM
wow! they got rid of banks! what a buncha crap!
how can i root for the lakers! one of my fav players is on that team!
UHG

Kstat
08-06-2004, 11:01 PM
wow! they got rid of banks! what a buncha crap!
how can i root for the lakers! one of my fav players is on that team!
UHG

Dont worry, you still have 15 other "favorite teams" left.....:rolleyes:

wintermute
08-07-2004, 12:40 AM
so much for the celtics' rebuilding...

on the plus side for them, banks is really not very good right now - he has the physical gifts, but questionable bball skills (sort of like brewer). question remains is whether he can develop.

probably the best aspect for the celtics is that they save money by dumping atkins.

Anthem
08-07-2004, 02:30 AM
on the plus side for them, banks is really not very good right now - he has the physical gifts, but questionable bball skills (sort of like brewer). question remains is whether he can develop.

Ok, gottta root for the hometown kid. Comparing Banks to Brewer is CRAZY. I don't want to break out the bad analogies, so I'll say it again. Comparing Banks to Brewer is CRAZY.