PDA

View Full Version : Pacers tried go get Peja in June?

Sollozzo
08-06-2004, 11:37 AM
According to Peja Stojakovic's agent, the Pacers inquired about Peja for Artest in June, but that was shot down by the Kings.

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/10257600p-11177870c.html

Stojakovic seeks trade
By Martin McNeal -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 4:55 pm PDT Thursday, August 5, 2004
Get the latest news in sacbee.com's Kings Alert newsletter. Sign up here.

[Updated 7:02 p.m.] Three-time all-star small forward Peja Stojakovic believes it is time for a change, and has asked the Kings to trade him.
Stojakovic, the NBA's second-leading scorer, met with Kings President of Basketball Operations Geoff Petrie on July 23 and informed him he wanted to be traded.

Stojakovic, who was in Belgrade, Serbia-Montenegro, on Thursday at a promotional appearance, refused to explain why he felt he needed to be traded.

"I just think that the team had their chances," said Stojakovic of the Kings, for whom he averaged a career-high 24.2 points per game last season, "and the opportunities are closing. I talked to Geoff. I told him I just think it needs to happen. I just think it would be good for them and for myself, with all due respect. Sacramento is great, but I think I need a change."

Stojakovic's agent, David Bauman, said he knew the Kings would not have a fire sale involving his client, but believed the team could possibly make a deal.

"We know he's got two years left on his contract," said Bauman, who also is in Serbia-Montenegro, of Stojakovic. "But I believe the (Indiana) Pacers inquired about something with Peja and (Ron) Artest in June and that was quickly shot down by the Kings."

Said Stojakovic, "I'm probably one of the easiest players to trade, and I'm willing to go."

Petrie said he would not divulge the specifics of his conversation with Stojakovic. However, the idea of trading the small forward was not high on his list.

"He's probably one of the last guys I'd want to trade," Petrie said. "He's flourished here and the team has done extremely well. He's been a big part of that, too, and I have a lot of respect for the guy.

"It's too speculative to make a prediction about what will happen. It's one of those things where you don't know how it's going to go. I do know I'm going to go on vacation soon for the better part of the rest of the month.

Neither Stojakovic nor Bauman attributed this trade request to comments made after the season by Kings power forward Chris Webber.

"He's not requesting a trade because of anything Chris Webber did or said," Bauman said. "He has no problem with the Maloofs, Geoff, Rick Adelman or anybody there. This has a lot to do with (veteran center) Vlade (Divac) being gone."

Kings co-owner Joe Maloof said he had no interest in trading Stojakovic, who was drafted by Petrie in 1996 while playing in Greece and eventually came to Sacramento in 1998. Maloof did indicate he was concerned by his player's request.

"Oh, of course," Maloof said. "Anytime you have your best player, one of your best players who is asking for a trade, you're concerned. We want to get this back on a positive track. We want to talk to Peja and get this straightened out. We want to get him to understand that we've still got unfinished business here. We're not interested at all in trading him. That's the furthest thing from our minds."

For more information, see Friday's Bee.

Hicks
08-06-2004, 11:40 AM
Even if we did (I don't know), Peja asking for a trade changes things considerably.

Sollozzo
08-06-2004, 11:50 AM
This makes my suspiscions deeper that we are just waiting for the right deal to trade Artest, I don't think management trusts Artest.

If Sac feels forced to trade Peja, Artest would be a perfect player to trade for him becasue the salaries would be easy to swap, the kings probably wouldnt want to pack Peja and other players for a large contract player.

When the right deal comes along for Artest, I think he is gone.

Hicks
08-06-2004, 11:55 AM
I agree.

Doug in CO
08-06-2004, 01:09 PM
I agree with PacerMan - they were picking one, Al or Ron... and what we got for each dictated which one would be dealt.

If Ron gets traded, I will be shocked. I would rather have Ron than Peja - Peja is not clutch, in fact, he is horrid in the playoffs.

bulletproof
08-06-2004, 01:16 PM
If Ron gets traded, I will be shocked. I would rather have Ron than Peja - Peja is not clutch, in fact, he is horrid in the playoffs.

If Ron doesn't get traded I won't be shocked, but I will be very surprised. If Walsh and Bird can swing a deal with the Kings for Peja, Ron is gone.

Sollozzo
08-06-2004, 01:48 PM
Bulletproof, I agree. I dont think the Pacers are desperately trying to get rid of Artest, but if a deal like Peja comes, Ron is gone.

beast23
08-06-2004, 01:55 PM
Assuming the trade was considered to begin with, I don't think the Pacers make another trade until Dampier is off the table.

They are not going to give up Artest, then find out they could have gotten Dampier and Robinson for Bender and Pollard (for example).

If we can't get a couple of additional bangers up front, I don't think the Pacers will sacrifice a physical player like Artest for Peja, especially after giving up Al.

That just doesn't make sense.

Hoop
08-06-2004, 03:25 PM
I agree with PacerMan - they were picking one, Al or Ron... and what we got for each dictated which one would be dealt.

I agree.

If we traded Ron now after trading Al, we would have no post up game at all, besides JO. The only way I would have seen us trading Ron was if we had kept AL.

Getting rid of Ron and Al for Jackson & Peja makes no sense. We'd just be getting rid of one weakness and replacing it with another.

Mourning
08-06-2004, 04:29 PM
100% Aggree! I don't think I would like to watch our team becoming some sort of 3pt shooting team with the only threat down low coming from JO, actually I would HATE (yes, CAPITAL letters!!!!!) THAT!!!

Peja is offense only, his D isnt as desperate as some seem to think, BUT he doesnt go inside nearly as much as we would need. Our SG and PG should space the floor with long range shots, with some shots from the SF aswell. With this line up it gets unbalanced IMO with regards to the sort of shots we would take. Further, Artest is a defensive demon and you can count on Sacramento to want more from us, which I would find TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE if they would get anything more than a future 2nd rounder or say a resigned Brewer (:laugh::laugh::laugh:).

Im very afraid of this deal even more when I remember an interview from I think the Sacramento Bee with Bird who basically describes Peja as virtually "mr. perfect".

Regards,

Mourning:cool:

wintermute
08-07-2004, 12:52 AM
you know, if we ended up trading ron for peja, we'd look a lot more like the 2000 team than the isiah teams. is that what this is about?

TheSauceMaster
08-07-2004, 04:33 AM
Well People might disagree with me but Trading for a Center isn't a major change Depending on who we get and what we give , now if you don't get a Center and You Do a Ron/Peja Deal , to me that's a major shakeup in your Team. Let's be Objective here folks The HEAT had us Reeling and Choking in Round 2 and Without Ron Stepping up or being the presence that he was would we have Even gotten Past Round 2 ? Well We won't know the True answer to that but I personally think , we would have not made it. Yes Ron Made some Mistakes in the ECF but he wasn't the Sole Reason we Lost the ECF and I wish people would get that through there Skulls and realize it , there were Alot of Deciding Factors on Why we Lost the ECF and It just wasn't Ron Artest alone !!!

Sorry it's just really disturbing through out the season I never heard too many complaints about Artest and now People wanna shuffle him off to the Gallos for some Mistakes , Humans make Mistakes and Last I checked NBA Players do make Mistakes, Ron said he was gonna get better and I have no doubt in my mind he will be better this next season.

Mourning
08-07-2004, 04:42 AM
Well People might disagree with me but Trading for a Center isn't a major change Depending on who we get and what we give , now if you don't get a Center and You Do a Ron/Peja Deal , to me that's a major shakeup in your Team. Let's be Objective here folks The HEAT had us Reeling and Choking in Round 2 and Without Ron Stepping up or being the presence that he was would we have Even gotten Past Round 2 ? Well We won't know the True answer to that but I personally think , we would have not made it. Yes Ron Made some Mistakes in the ECF but he wasn't the Sole Reason we Lost the ECF and I wish people would get that through there Skulls and realize it , there were Alot of Deciding Factors on Why we Lost the ECF and It just wasn't Ron Artest alone !!!

Sorry it's just really disturbing through out the season I never heard too many complaints about Artest and now People wanna shuffle him off to the Gallos for some Mistakes , Humans make Mistakes and Last I checked NBA Players do make Mistakes, Ron said he was gonna get better and I have no doubt in my mind he will be better this next season.

Ibidem! He also said he would improve his on-court behavior and become more of a threat on offense at the end of last years season, I think he kept his promiss pretty well. The guy also is STILL young and could grow further, no, is more than likely too.

Regards,

Hicks
08-07-2004, 11:34 AM
So you think Ron could grow and improve, but Peja can't and is stuck in stone. Riiiiight.

Anthem
08-07-2004, 12:36 PM
So you think Ron could grow and improve, but Peja can't and is stuck in stone. Riiiiight.

Peja's 27. He's in his prime. I think what you see is what you

So you'd disagree with the statement that Ron has more room to improve than Peja?

Hicks
08-07-2004, 01:23 PM
Ron can improve, sure.

But I believe Peja might as well because of the fact that he's only played for one coach/team Adelman and the Kings. A team that doesn't preach defense or physical play.

I think once you get Peja in here working with Rick, Mike, and Kevin, they'll get him to play better D (see Tinsley) and maybe even toughen him up some.

Beyond that, I know Bird really likes him, and since they were similar players (big SFs who could nail you from 3) he could do very well in tutoring Peja to expand his game (think more rebounding and passing).

I think our staff will make him a better player.

Mourning
08-07-2004, 01:29 PM

Pretty much, yes. Maybe, Peja could improve, but it would be only marginally IMO as he is already in his prime. Ron on the other hand is only 24, so he hasn't even entered his prime yet.
IF you can't see the difference ... :rolleyes:

Also I SERIOUSLY doubt Peja would be able to manage the same or better figures to what he has done in SacTown the last year. He played in a system that was a perfect fit for him, fast, fluid, limited defense, picture perfect passing. Indy plays quite a different system, which I think wont get him say 22-23 PPG at the end of the season (not even talking about the play-offs here) or higher as he has averaged in SacTown. IF that is true, which I believe, do you REALLY want to sacrifice your one player that can on a very, very regular basis shut down the opponents ace from the perimeter and the wings, who btw also manages 18+ PPG during last season and is an intimidating presence?
And for the record I dont believe Freddie will be able to do that or Jackson for that matter. They can both defend decently and a little above, but that's about it. Also where do you think Freddie is going to get his playing time from?
Are you not afraid of attrition wearing down JO even more, because I sure would knowing our SF is waiting for the ball on the perimeter aswell, while our PF/C supporting JO in the paint, Foster, is known for his fighting spirit, rebounding and defense, BUT NOT his offense. I think teams would still double JO, but leave Jeff more open.
So, we bring in Croshere, Cool, than we have 4 (:o!!!) shooting from the perimeter:(.

Regards,

Kegboy
08-07-2004, 01:41 PM
Plus, there's always the chance he'd pull a Pollard on us, too. :uhoh:

;)

Snickers
08-07-2004, 01:44 PM
Wasn't Peja a MIP candidate not long ago? Seems I've heard about him improving his all-around game pretty much every year, not unlike Ron.

Plus he has a beard and a funny accent. What's not to like? :whoknows:

Mourning
08-07-2004, 01:49 PM
I will remind you of that when we get blasted by the Kobes and T-Macs of this world later in the season.

Seriously, I like Peja, I really do, but I dont like the balance of our team if he were to play in Indy.

Regards,

Anthem
08-07-2004, 02:25 PM
Seriously, I like Peja, I really do, but I dont like the balance of our team if he were to play in Indy.

Oh, no question. I like Peja a lot. But not in a trade for Ron Artest.

Hoop
08-07-2004, 04:16 PM
Peja will never play better than he did last season, IMO.

Ron will get better over the next several years, again IMO.

Ron's 2 1/2 years younger.

Ron for Peja :puke:

Pig Nash
08-07-2004, 06:47 PM
f we traded Ron now after trading Al, we would have no post up game at all, besides JO.

I like how you added the "besides JO" as an afterthought. That's still more post up game than most of the teams in the league. He's damn good. I think some people think Ron's more important than JO. He's not. JO is the soul of the team and he sets the pace. Part of our good team defense is the mindset that he has and that the rest of the Pacers follow.

MSA2CF
08-07-2004, 07:33 PM
A thought: What happens if Jermaine goes down in the preseason or early into the season? Without Artest, would the Pacers be more than an average team?

Fact is, perhaps Ron should stick around because if Jermaine gets injured for a long period of time, the Pacers will need a guy like him.

Hicks
08-07-2004, 07:35 PM
If Jermaine goes down, I don't care who we have a SF, we're ****ed. That's just a given no matter what.

MSA2CF
08-07-2004, 07:37 PM
I'd have to disagree with you, Hicks...With Ronnie, the Pacers still have a legit threat on the team (plus, he's an all-star).

BigDawg44
08-07-2004, 07:42 PM
If this trade went down and Jermaine got hurt, it would be the same as if CWebb got hurt. Peja could carry the scoring load. he averaged 24pts/game w/o Cwebb

Kegboy
08-07-2004, 07:51 PM
No, if JO went down, we all know what would happen:

Wait for it...

Yep, you guessed it. JB would revolutionize the power forward position!!!!!

:devil:

Hicks
08-07-2004, 07:51 PM
True Peja could carry the scoring load.

But I stand by what I said that no matter who we have, if JO goes down long-term we're screwed. There's just no way around that.

Hicks
08-07-2004, 07:52 PM
No, if JO went down, we all know what would happen:

Wait for it...

Yep, you guessed it. JB would revolutionize the power forward position!!!!!

:devil:

:bananadance: :happydance:

:D

MSA2CF
08-07-2004, 09:05 PM
I'm not just talking about scoring.

Hicks
08-07-2004, 09:08 PM
MSA, it won't matter. If a team loses it's star player for a long stretch of time, it's screwed. That's just how it is.

MSA2CF
08-07-2004, 09:10 PM
Not if the team has two stars.

ChicagoJ
08-07-2004, 10:02 PM
Peja was fourth in MVP balloting last season, so I'd say that we would still have two stars.

Sollozzo
08-07-2004, 10:05 PM
Um, MSA2CF, If Artest is traded for Peja, the team still has 2 stars, JO and Peja . Earlier you mentioned that Ron Artest was an allstar, did you forget that Peja is also an allstar, and in fact, was fourth in MVP votes last year?

You seem to think Artest is a star, and Peja isnt.

But anyway, like Hicks said, if JO goes down, we are screwed no matter who we have at SF.

Hoop
08-07-2004, 10:15 PM
Not if the team has two stars.

Exactly. Ron carried this team at times during the season as much as JO did. Ron was the man for the first 2 rounds of the playoffs. People seem to only remember Ron's struggles against the Pistons in the East finals and forget how damn good he played most of the season. Ron was clutch for us at the end of lots of games. Peja and clutch is not something you here very often.

RimBender
08-07-2004, 10:17 PM
Peja for Artest = A Step Backwards,

as someone has said before. I want to keep Artest, what other team has a guy who can shut down a opponents go to guy?!?!

Peja I guess wouldn't be bad, but I would take Artest over him in a heartbeat.

Does Peja even know what defense is? and if he does, does he know how to play? I know he knows where the 3pt line is....

Sollozzo
08-07-2004, 10:20 PM
You could argue all day about who is better, Artest or Peja, but some of you are acting like the Pacers wouldnt have 2 stars if they had Peja, which is insane.

bulletproof
08-07-2004, 10:31 PM
Here's what a Pacers' fan wrote on another board:

But can Peja give the constant defensive effort that Ron gives? Peja seems to put effort in only when he wants to.

Here's how a Kings' fan responded:

Peja is a good defender. He doesn't get burned and doesn't give career nights to opposing players. He can guard lanky power forwards too like Nowitzki, Garnett, Odom etc. It's no big deal.

MSA2CF
08-07-2004, 10:35 PM
Earlier you mentioned that Ron Artest was an allstar, did you forget that Peja is also an allstar, and in fact, was fourth in MVP votes last year?

In fact I did.

You seem to think Artest is a star, and Peja isnt.

That is correct.

But anyway, like Hicks said, if JO goes down, we are screwed no matter who we have at SF.

That's where our opinions differ.

Hoop, nice post. :thumbsup:

TheSauceMaster
08-07-2004, 10:48 PM
I am firm believer in Defense and you don't scarifice Defense for Offense and if Peja has to play actual good Defense I will bet a bit of money his stats will drop. I don't think alot of people realize the value of a player like Artest , he plays amazing Defense and can still Screw you at the other end on Offense , not many players in the League can do that.

I remember saying back when we got our asses handed to us by the Pistons in the Regular season , we couldn't beat them if we faced them in the Playoffs. I think even if you take away the Injury factor that we had , we still would have lost that series in 7 , I got alot of no way's and eye rolling and I am sure I will get somemore.

bulletproof
08-07-2004, 10:50 PM
Let me guess, MSA, you're one of those guys that still mourns the loss of Dale Davis and Brad Miller.

MSA2CF
08-07-2004, 10:54 PM
I miss Dale, yes. I think mourn would be too strong a word there.

As for Brad, no. I think he was going to leave no matter what, therefore, I'm satisfied that we got a player that I like, Pollard, and got rid of a player I despised, Mercer. I'm one of those guys who thinks we got at least something, instead of nothing.

Eindar
08-08-2004, 03:08 AM
100% Aggree! I don't think I would like to watch our team becoming some sort of 3pt shooting team with the only threat down low coming from JO, actually I would HATE (yes, CAPITAL letters!!!!!) THAT!!!

Peja is offense only, his D isnt as desperate as some seem to think, BUT he doesnt go inside nearly as much as we would need. Our SG and PG should space the floor with long range shots, with some shots from the SF aswell. With this line up it gets unbalanced IMO with regards to the sort of shots we would take. Further, Artest is a defensive demon and you can count on Sacramento to want more from us, which I would find TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE if they would get anything more than a future 2nd rounder or say a resigned Brewer (:laugh::laugh::laugh:).

Im very afraid of this deal even more when I remember an interview from I think the Sacramento Bee with Bird who basically describes Peja as virtually "mr. perfect".

Regards,

Must not have liked that Pacers team that went to the Finals then, eh? We had Smits as the only guy who needed a double-team in the post on the entire team. Seems like that teamdid pretty well. They almost beat a Jordan-led Bulls team. That team was known as a very good offensive team, though a little soft, and an average defensive team.

This team with Peja would be better than that.

Face it, if JO goes down next season, you can have all the Artest and Al Harrington you want, that team's not going to go to the Finals, much less win it. If JO gets injured, throw the season in the crapper, folks, because Artest can't carry a team. So really, what it boils down to, is what kind of player does JO do best around? And what's best for JO?

Want a guy who needs a lot of shots to score a lot of points? A guy who won't give up the ball if he thinks he needs to take over a game? The temper, the insanity, and all the other stuff can improve. Name one guy who had a terrible shot selection and fixed it over the course of his career. Maybe the shot got better, but I'm sure the selfishness never went away. Once you get down to brass tacks, Artest, no matter how much he improves, is always going to hurt this offense because he takes the ball out of JO's hands, yet he takes the ball to the place JO wants to go...INSIDE.

Not only will Peja make sure JO gets the ball, he'll also wait patiently for it to come back out to him once the defense collapses. This is something Artest will never do.

Now, on a side note. The goal, this year, is to be better than the Pistons. To match up better with them. Will Ron Artest have an answer for Prince's height and interior shotblocking ability? I doubt it, unless he plans on playing on stilts this season. Peja is taller than Ron, and plays futher away from the basket. He stretches the defense, requires less shots, and will not do anything stupid. You're not going to beat the Pistons this year by trying to out-rebound or out-muscle them. You're going to beat them by forcing them to come ouside and defend you on the perimeter. There's a reason both the Bucks and the Nets gave them problems, and it isn't because they had great interior offense.

Eindar
08-08-2004, 03:17 AM
I am firm believer in Defense and you don't scarifice Defense for Offense and if Peja has to play actual good Defense I will bet a bit of money his stats will drop. I don't think alot of people realize the value of a player like Artest , he plays amazing Defense and can still Screw you at the other end on Offense , not many players in the League can do that.

I remember saying back when we got our asses handed to us by the Pistons in the Regular season , we couldn't beat them if we faced them in the Playoffs. I think even if you take away the Injury factor that we had , we still would have lost that series in 7 , I got alot of no way's and eye rolling and I am sure I will get somemore.

Ron does play amazing defense. He can still screw the opponent on the offensive end. The only problem is that he can also screw US at OUR OFFENSIVE END.

If Artest had no emotional baggage, it would be an even trade, despite the fact that Peja ended up 4th in the MVP voting, despite that he was 2nd in scoring, one of the tops in the league in 3P%. That's what Artest's defense negates, so no, we're not "underrating" Artest's defense when we say we'd trade him for Peja. Once you throw in the boneheaded Artest mistakes, it makes Peja the guy you want.

And, it could land us Divac in the future :) ;)

Hicks
08-08-2004, 12:37 PM
Long term it was still the case. For a stretch of a handful of games I'd agree with you.