PDA

View Full Version : Whose our coach after JOB?

Pacers2012
07-06-2010, 02:01 AM
If 2010 is worse then 2009 and job is hopfully fired who would be a candidate to be our new coach?

I would think our first choice would possibly Mark Jackson. Which would be pretty exciting I think. Obviously we don't know what kind of coach he is but, compaired to his peers that coach now. Such as Byron Scott, and Avery Johnson who were both guards in the nba. Could the trend continue with great coaching coming from guards who played against eachother.

When I look at scott and johnson. I see alot of similarities between them and jackson. Mainly the way they act and speak. They are cool when the pressure is on and are always straight to the point when they speak.

So if not Jackson, who would be our next possible coach?

gopacers1179
07-06-2010, 02:08 AM
Wish list
was Avery Johnson
now Lawrence Frank

Who I truly believe...............Mike Brown will be coaching the Pacers in 2011-12

Kstat
07-06-2010, 02:10 AM
I feel sorry for whoever hires Mark Jackson as a head coach. I don't see that happening, though. He doesn't seem interested in putting the work in as an assistant.

As for comparing one aspiring coach to two proven coaches who have been to the NBA finals by how their playing careers went...both Scott and Johnson were key cogs on championship teams.

Do I think that's relevant? no, but neither is the fact they were all guards.

Phil Jackson was a backup forward.

Larry Brown was a star point guard.

Greg Poppovich was an aspiring CIA cold war spy.

Really, does it matter what these guys did before they went into coaching?

Give Me A Break Larry!!!!
07-06-2010, 02:11 AM
my good freind FRANK VOGEL

Psyren
07-06-2010, 02:27 AM
Lawrence Frank

Placebo
07-06-2010, 02:59 AM
–hopefully– lawrence frank

tadscout
07-06-2010, 03:33 AM
Lets see... Larry Bird selecting, sooo...

Kevin McHale :p

Actually he did pretty well coaching the Wolves...

oz_pacer
07-06-2010, 03:41 AM
isiah lol

Pacers2012
07-06-2010, 03:44 AM
I would throw erik spoelstra name into the mix too if riley is having one of those this is my team moments again. Heat have had good defenses with him. giving up 94ppg and scoring 96 themselves. if they pacers would give up only 94ppg then were in the playoffs.

wintermute
07-06-2010, 07:22 AM
i'm a fan of mike brown

15th parallel
07-06-2010, 08:13 AM
I would prefer Mark Jackson since he was a solid PG under great coaches. Problem is he has no coaching experience, even at assistant level.

duke dynamite
07-06-2010, 09:36 AM
I wouldn't doubt if it's Erik Spoelstra.

graphic-er
07-06-2010, 09:41 AM
I think it depends on what kind of players we could possibly bring in at the trade deadline and our record for the year. If we trade for Tony Parker and make the playoffs, then its Jeff Van Gundy. If we just muddle about the year, then we will covet Lawrence Frank. We obviously missed our chance with Byron Scott.

pwee31
07-06-2010, 09:43 AM
Mike Brown, Mark Jackson, Lawerence Frank, Jeff Van Gundy, or perhaps someone who isn't on the radar yet.

bellisimo
07-06-2010, 09:45 AM
its gonna be Rick Pitino.

there.

I've said it.

xtacy
07-06-2010, 09:45 AM
I would throw erik spoelstra name into the mix too if riley is having one of those this is my team moments again. Heat have had good defenses with him. giving up 94ppg and scoring 96 themselves. if they pacers would give up only 94ppg then were in the playoffs.

AMEN.

Bball
07-06-2010, 10:10 AM
We're in Purgatory. Not until we accept Jim O'Brien as the coach of the Pacers can we ever move on. Unclebuck is stuck here with us until we do.

duke dynamite
07-06-2010, 10:10 AM
I can tell you who it won't be, Jeff Van Gundy or Mark Jackson.

Jackson has no coaching experience whatsoever. This team wouldn't last any better with him than under JOB. We'd be better off plucking an assistant from Phoenix or wherever.

I was actually talking about this last week, in how I strongly believe that Spoelstra will be available when we are looking for our next coach.

bellisimo
07-06-2010, 10:11 AM
who knows...maybe JOB will be our Jerry Sloan?

Rupert Stilinski
07-06-2010, 10:30 AM
We're in Purgatory. Not until we accept Jim O'Brien as the coach of the Pacers can we ever move on. Unclebuck is stuck here with us until we do.

I'd say it is more the other way around. Until Unclejack accepts it, we're all stuck in this Purgatory hell.

xtacy
07-06-2010, 10:32 AM
who knows...maybe JOB will be our Jerry Sloan?

even the thought of it makes me wanna kill myself.

MillerTime
07-06-2010, 10:33 AM
I would have wanted Avery Johnson, but hes out of the mix now. I think Byron Scott is also out....

I wouldnt mind Shaw or Frank

vnzla81
07-06-2010, 10:43 AM
Anybody but "The Clown"

pacergod2
07-06-2010, 10:54 AM
I am on the Bill Laimbeer bandwagon. Outside of him:

1. Brian Shaw
2. Jeff Van Gundy
3. Lawrence Frank

Even a guy like Sam Mitchell would be great. He did a great job of getting the most out of his talent in Toronto, even though those teams were put together horribly IMO. I also wouldn't mind McHale or Ewing.

graphic-er
07-06-2010, 11:32 AM
I can tell you who it won't be, Jeff Van Gundy or Mark Jackson.

Jackson has no coaching experience whatsoever. This team wouldn't last any better with him than under JOB. We'd be better off plucking an assistant from Phoenix or wherever.

I was actually talking about this last week, in how I strongly believe that Spoelstra will be available when we are looking for our next coach.

i don't think Mark Jackson has a chance here just because of Bird. I guess he and Jackson did not get along in the player coach role.

Van Gundy could certainly make sense if this franchise some how turns it around this year and shows alot of promise. Like landing Tony Parker.

I think he wants to go to a team who is on the rise that he can mold for himself with coach-able players.

Pacersalltheway10
07-06-2010, 11:54 AM
vinny del negro.

(Someone had to throw him out there)

I'd prefer a coach who can bring in free agents so probably jeff van gundy.
I would like Lester connor as head coach too.

Peck
07-06-2010, 12:08 PM
I don't know who the next head coach will be but I already like him better.

Hicks
07-06-2010, 12:08 PM
I'd welcome JVG, but he probably won't come here ever.

I'd be happy with Lawrence Frank, Kevin McHale, probably Mike Brown as well.

Brad8888
07-06-2010, 12:52 PM
Green guy Kevin McHale is easily the most likely if Bird is still involved.

odeez
07-06-2010, 01:01 PM
1. Lawrence Frank
2. Kevin Mchale
3. Jeff Van Gundy
4. Marc Jackson

Doddage
07-06-2010, 01:03 PM
I'd want someone like Alvin Gentry or Scott Brooks.

Trophy
07-06-2010, 01:04 PM
Lawrence Frank, Bob Hill, Mike Brown, Kevin McHale, or Sam Mitchell.

IndyHoosier
07-06-2010, 02:00 PM
Robert Montgomery Knight...........................j/k

graphic-er
07-06-2010, 02:55 PM
Speaking of throw backs, I think it would be really cool to let Slick coach the team during one of the exhibition games in preseason.

tadscout
07-06-2010, 03:02 PM
I was honestly more impressed with McHale in his stint with the Wolves than I ever was with Frank (wouldn't mind him, just saying I'd actually prefer McHale.)

J. Van Gundy would be one of my top choices but not sure he'd come to us...

I also wouldn't mind giving a shot to one of Sloan's or Pop's assistants that are ready, if they would bring in a similar system/method/minset.

IndyHoosier
07-06-2010, 03:27 PM
Speaking of throw backs, I think it would be really cool to let Slick coach the team during one of the exhibition games in preseason.

I whole-heartedly agree. I think that would be something to watch. Didn't they let him do that a couple years ago when they played an exhibition game at the Pepsi Coliseum?

IndyHoosier
07-06-2010, 03:31 PM
I whole-heartedly agree. I think that would be something to watch. Didn't they let him do that a couple years ago when they played an exhibition game at the Pepsi Coliseum?

Yeah we did:

http://www.state-journal.com/news/article/4441458

Pacers letting "Slick' Leonard go back to the bench
E-mail Story | Print Story | Comments | ShareThis

The Associated Press
October 8, 2008
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - The Indiana Pacers will have a new head coach - at least briefly - when they play New Orleans in their preseason opener tonight.

Pacers coach Jim O'Brien said he'll spend the first quarter helping on the radio broadcast, while former Indiana coach and current radio commentator Bobby "Slick" Leonard handles his duties from the bench.

The switch was O'Brien's idea to show Leonard "how much we appreciate everything he's done for the
organization." Leonard became the Pacers' coach in 1969, leading them to three American Basketball Association championships before the league merged with the NBA.

The game is being played at the Pepsi Coliseum in Indianapolis, home to the Pacers from 1967-74.

"I thought it would be great to have him coach the team and go back to the old days," said O'Brien, who added that everything was approved by the NBA. "We'll have a big lead going into the second quarter and I'll go from there."

Pacers swingman Danny Granger expects the crowd to enjoy Leonard's coaching appearance.

"The fans might really get a kick out of seeing Slick on the sidelines again," Granger said. "He was a coach, so he definitely has a basketball mind. It's way back in the day, but he still knows a lot about the game."

If Leonard wants to draw up plays on napkins, like he used to during his coaching career, O'Brien said the team would accommodate him.

"If that's what he's comfortable with, we will have them out there," joked O'Brien.

Joking aside, every preseason game is crucial for the Pacers, who have nine new players in training camp.

"When you have this many new guys, and you're changing things around, it's important for everybody to learn how to play basketball with each other," said Indiana center Jeff Foster, who returns for his 10th season with the team.

O'Brien plans to switch around his starting lineup through the first four preseason games. He said Wednesday's starters will be guards T.J. Ford and Marquis Daniels, forwards Granger and Austin Croshere, and center Rasho Nesterovic.

Guard Mike Dunleavy (sore knee) and forward Troy Murphy (sore foot), both expected to start in the regular season, will not play against New Orleans, O'Brien said. Reserve point guard Travis Diener (sore foot) also won't play.

"I want to see different combinations of guys when they start, and coming off the bench," O'Brien said. "We don't have a set lineup right now, clearly, because we have some key guys that are out."

Pacers point guard Jamaal Tinsley, who hasn't been at training camp, will not play on Wednesday as the team tries to trade him.

Even though exhibition games don't count toward the regular-season record, O'Brien believes it's important to start building a winning atmosphere.

"When we keep score, we want to win," he said. "Whatever we're doing from a standpoint of developing young guys, and seeing where we are offensively and defensively, we still want to be on the positive side of the ledger at the end."

Kegboy
07-06-2010, 05:23 PM
I like Sam Mitchell quite a bit, but he got that Toronto job too soon. He would have been better served under Bickerstaff in Charlotte for a couple years. Now that he's Avery's lead assistant, hopefully he'll get the more well-rounded exposure he needs to be a better xo guy.

Byron is who I wanted, but he's gone. I'd like to see Minnesota do a little better before we hire Laimbeer. After the Jimmy thread was bumped, I remembered how I latched on to the "no retreads" idea. I sure would like to get some unknown assistant before we make another mistake like we did in that instance.

Most of the "name" assistants have been hired the last couple years. Two guys who have therefore moved to the front of the line are San Antonio's Mike Budenholzer and Utah's Tyrone Corbin. I'd certainly be happy with either of those on pedigree alone.

Lastly, the below link is worth perusing for current assistant coaches. Anybody know Damon Stoudamire and Shareef Abdur Rahim are coaching? I sure didn't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_NBA_team_rosters

IndyHoosier
07-06-2010, 06:55 PM
Lastly, the below link is worth perusing for current assistant coaches. Anybody know Damon Stoudamire and Shareef Abdur Rahim are coaching? I sure didn't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_NBA_team_rosters

Wow! There are quite a few names on there that take me back. I had no idea that some of these guys got into coaching. I thought Keith Smart was coaching here in Indiana somewhere but he is in Golden State. And WOW, 7 assistant coaches in Washington!

Young
07-06-2010, 07:28 PM
I don't know who it should be but this is what I do know:

- Jim better be let go after this season.
- The next coach better bring a mindset that focuses on defense, rebounding, and playing to the strengths of the players on offense.

IndyPacer
07-06-2010, 09:37 PM
I don't know who it should be but this is what I do know:

- Jim better be let go after this season.
- The next coach better bring a mindset that focuses on defense, rebounding, and playing to the strengths of the players on offense.

I don't think I would be able to stand any more of JOB's loony style of coaching. I think the Pacers actually have a better team than they've been able to demonstrate in terms of talent. I think Rush and Hibbert in particular have suffered under JOB's style, although McRoberts may soon surpass either on this front if JOB is able to Murphy-ize him. I've never seen a coach who is more clueless about his own players' strengths and weaknesses.

PLEASE give us a coach who emphasizes defense!

PaceBalls
07-06-2010, 09:59 PM
With the huge turnover rate of coaches in the NBA, someone good will be available. Really, at this point, anyone would be an upgrade IMO.

However, I really get this sick feeling that Jim will be coaching this team in 2012.

Anthem
07-06-2010, 10:08 PM
It was interesting how much of TWill's success at point he attributes to Avery as coach. Anybody else hear that?

BRushWithDeath
07-06-2010, 10:09 PM
It was interesting how much of TWill's success at point he attributes to Avery as coach. Anybody else hear that?

T-Will is just flat out good.

Suaveness
07-06-2010, 10:12 PM
Who is

BRushWithDeath
07-06-2010, 10:13 PM
Who is

Or "Who's".

Justin Tyme
07-06-2010, 10:27 PM
Someone that doesn't have a Celtics connection and not a over the phone hire.

I didn't realize LaSalle Thompson was an ast coach.

jeffg-body
07-06-2010, 11:13 PM
Mike Brown, Lawrence Frank or Erik Spoelstra are the guys I wouldn't mind seeing here.

Rubio
07-06-2010, 11:32 PM
IDEA:

After one more year of a high draft pick, and Larry Bird finally getting cap space to sign some free agents, his 3 year plan ends with him hiring the 1998 NBA Coach of the Year, Larry Bird aka himself...

Could anyone else see this happening? Larry Bird pulling a Pat Riley, and coaching the team when Danny Granger is at his prime, he has a ton of young talent, a rising star center in Hibbert, yada, yada, yada... and maybe a top 3 pick and a big free agent?

I could.

pizza guy
07-07-2010, 12:52 AM
Mike Brown wouldn't surprise me, but I'm not sure I'd be real excited about it. Watching him coach in Cleveland, he didn't impress me much. They won a lot of games, but with LeBron you should be able to kinda cruise through the regular season. Just seemed like Brown was only there because they have to have a coach, not because he was really coaching. JMO.

I haven't seen a lot of the Heat under Spoelstra, but I have heard some good things about him, and I would probably be excited to see him here.

McHale wouldn't be a terrible choice, but IMO, Pacer fans might not want to see more Celtic players. I understand that Bird has those ties and a guy like McHale certainly comes with plenty of reputation, but fans need to connect with the Indiana Pacers, not the Indiana Celtics.

Having Mark Jackson on the sideline would certainly create some buzz. There are probably a number of Pacer fans that enjoyed "the good ol' days" tremendously, but have lost interest because of the "thug era" and "suck era." A guy like Jackson, from the "good ol' days" would possibly catch those fans' attention. But, as others have said, he has no coaching experience, and that scares me too much to be comfortable having him on the sideline.

My preference would be Jeff VanGundy. He's obviously got the experience and record to prove he's a very good coach. He's well known by basketball fans, so he would create the excitement that sells tickets. He's a defensive coach, which would be such a welcome relief from "the best defense is Murphy and McBob shooting threes." Trick would be convincing him to come here. Also, as an added condition of JVG being our coach, I'd like to see him clinging to Hibbert's leg in desperation, just for laughs.

--pizza

bambam
07-07-2010, 04:15 AM
Kelvin Sampson

:haha:

Justin Tyme
07-07-2010, 09:07 AM
IMO, Pacer fans might not want to see more Celtic players. I understand that Bird has those ties and a guy like McHale certainly comes with plenty of reputation, but fans need to connect with the Indiana Pacers, not the Indiana Celtics. --pizza

Can't agree more about not having another Celtic connection as coach of the INDIANA PACERS! It's like a new employee continuing saying at my last job "WE" did it this way or that way. News flash... just b/c it was done that way doesn't mean it's the best way nor the right way for "THEIR" new employer.

Rupert Stilinski
07-07-2010, 09:46 AM
Can't agree more about not having another Celtic connection as coach of the INDIANA PACERS! It's like a new employee continuing saying at my last job "WE" did it this way or that way. News flash... just b/c it was done that way doesn't mean it's the best way nor the right way for "THEIR" new employer.

I don't care if he comes from Mars, as long as he can coach.

pizza guy
07-07-2010, 09:50 AM

I don't care if he comes from Mars, as long as he can coach.

You'd like to think that the guys coming from one of sport's most successful franchises would know the right way to do things, so you can't blame a guy for going to people from the same successful system he came from.

But, Red Auerbach ain't walkin through that door. And he's about the only Celtic connection that would be acceptable as coach this time around, but uh...not gonna happen obviously.

--pizza

Rupert Stilinski
07-07-2010, 10:11 AM
But, Red Auerbach ain't walkin through that door. And he's about the only Celtic connection that would be acceptable as coach this time around, but uh...not gonna happen obviously.

--pizza

I'd accept Larry as coach if he would do it.

Justin Tyme
07-07-2010, 10:40 AM

Why? Did you ever watch a time out when Bird was coaching? Who was the doing the coaching in the huddle? He didn't do the coaching the last time he coached the Pacers. He has admitted it several times saying Carlisle coached the offensive and Dick Harter coached the defense. I don't want someone that delegates their job to others for them to do it. I want a HC that can do the coaching and not the ast coaches doing the game time coaching.

woowoo
07-07-2010, 10:43 AM
I feel sorry for whoever hires Mark Jackson as a head coach. I don't see that happening, though. He doesn't seem interested in putting the work in as an assistant.

As for comparing one aspiring coach to two proven coaches who have been to the NBA finals by how their playing careers went...both Scott and Johnson were key cogs on championship teams.

Do I think that's relevant? no, but neither is the fact they were all guards.

Phil Jackson was a backup forward.

Larry Brown was a star point guard.

Greg Poppovich was an aspiring CIA cold war spy.

Really, does it matter what these guys did before they went into coaching?

Before... no... But, it does help to have "talent" on the roster when they do take over.

Rupert Stilinski
07-07-2010, 10:48 AM
Why? Did you ever watch a time out when Bird was coaching? Who was the doing the coaching in the huddle? He didn't do the coaching the last time he coached the Pacers. He has admitted it several times saying Carlisle coached the offensive and Dick Harter coached the defense. I don't want someone that delegates their job to others for them to do it. I want a HC that can do the coaching and not the ast coaches doing the game time coaching.

Why? It worked. If you get people that are good at their jobs, you should let them do them. I would have rather JOB delegated some defensive responsibility to Harter as well, I don't think JOB allows his assistants any influence. He wants yes men.

bellisimo
07-07-2010, 10:49 AM

Larry Bird as a coach is the same as having Maradona as Argentina's coach...just a figure to rally the troops but they have the men behind the figure who takes care of the business...

Rupert Stilinski
07-07-2010, 10:50 AM
Larry Bird as a coach is the same as having Maradona as Argentina's coach...just a figure to rally the troops but they have the men behind the figure who takes care of the business...

Fair enough, but Larry got the right men behind him last time, why couldn't he do it again?

bellisimo
07-07-2010, 10:55 AM
Fair enough, but Larry got the right men behind him last time, why couldn't he do it again?

one retired the other is coaching the Mavs...*he is still the coach there right?*

Hicks
07-07-2010, 11:09 AM
IDEA:

After one more year of a high draft pick, and Larry Bird finally getting cap space to sign some free agents, his 3 year plan ends with him hiring the 1998 NBA Coach of the Year, Larry Bird aka himself...

Could anyone else see this happening? Larry Bird pulling a Pat Riley, and coaching the team when Danny Granger is at his prime, he has a ton of young talent, a rising star center in Hibbert, yada, yada, yada... and maybe a top 3 pick and a big free agent?

I could.

That's an interesting thought. Never considered it before. I tend to doubt it is likely, but you never know.

Kegboy
07-07-2010, 12:36 PM

Perhaps, but his judgement on hiring Jimmy cancels that out IMO.

That being said, if he did come down and take complete ownership of the situation, if it fails then at least hopefully he'd be held accountable for it and be let go.

Swish
07-07-2010, 12:42 PM
Why the love for Lawrence Frank? The guy has one season where his record went up (by three wins), and they have been getting worse and worse ever since. He was 0-16 before he was fired last season. What is so great about this guy that a lot of people here would want him?? I'd rather take my chances on someone unproven than bringing in someone who has already proved he's no good.

Kegboy
07-07-2010, 12:46 PM
I've never seen the love for Frank. Reminds me of the Eddie Jordan love back in the day. Both were the "real" reason why Byron was so successful. :rolleyes:

Plus, I just can't get over that he hates being called "Larry". WHAT'S WRONG WITH HIM! [/Kevin Butler]

Really?
07-07-2010, 01:29 PM
Mark Jackson...

He has a history with the team.

He will be able to help develop whatever young PG we get.

and he has expressed interest in becoming a NBA Coach.

I think this would be a good fit for the Pacers and Pacer fans, bring in someone who fans remember from our playoff days to lead us back to them...

What do you all think...?

MrSparko
07-07-2010, 02:00 PM

The best way to judge a leader is by who they surround themselves with.

d_c
07-07-2010, 02:56 PM
Mark Jackson...

He has a history with the team.

He will be able to help develop whatever young PG we get.

and he has expressed interest in becoming a NBA Coach.

I think this would be a good fit for the Pacers and Pacer fans, bring in someone who fans remember from our playoff days to lead us back to them...

What do you all think...?

I think Jackson needs to pay his dues and get an actual assistant coaching job somewhere first.

pizza guy
07-07-2010, 03:09 PM
I'd be OK with Bird as well, and could certainly see that happening. And yes, I'm OK with him delegating to assistant coaches.

--pizza

Really?
07-07-2010, 03:14 PM
I think its possible with no previous coaching experience...like some have said it alot depends on who you surround yourself with.

Ex. Larry Bird

But Doc came in with no experience, and Isiah...

Main point is you can coach with experience or not, everything is a gamble...even coaches with experience don't always pan out...aka O'Brien

Just a thought...

pacergod2
07-07-2010, 03:19 PM
Did I mention Bill Laimbeer?

His Detroit Shock championship teams could beat our current Pacers team.

Rupert Stilinski
07-07-2010, 03:29 PM
Did I mention Bill Laimbeer?

His Detroit Shock championship teams could beat our current Pacers team.

There isn't a WNBA team out there that could beat a good high school team.

But I like the idea of Laimbeer.

Justin Tyme
07-07-2010, 03:38 PM
Why? It worked. If you get people that are good at their jobs, you should let them do them. I would have rather JOB delegated some defensive responsibility to Harter as well,

I don't think JOB allows his assistants any influence. He wants yes men.

If you can get good people to do the job, why do you need Bird? Why pay a figurehead to do no coaching?

That's what Lester Conner found out.

Justin Tyme
07-07-2010, 03:53 PM
The best way to judge a leader is by who they surround themselves with.

That's true, but if someone else is doing their job there is no need for them.

Mr. Sobchak
07-07-2010, 03:59 PM

While the WNBA is far behind the NBA and most college teams, this is simply not true...When I was interning with the Fever I personally saw them beat down IUPUI's men's bball team several times.

Hicks
07-07-2010, 04:08 PM
If you can get good people to do the job, why do you need Bird? Why pay a figurehead to do no coaching?

That's what Lester Conner found out.

If the head coach is a leader, and he can bring in the right people to delegate to, there's nothing wrong with that.

You almost seem to suggest we ask Larry who he'd hire as his assistants, then say "Thanks, now go away" while we hire one of them to be the head coach.

If you could pull that off, theoretically, that might work, but you're assuming one of the two would-be assistants is as good or better of a leader than Larry.

Justin Tyme
07-07-2010, 04:08 PM
I'd be OK with Bird as well, and could certainly see that happening. And yes, I'm OK with him delegating to assistant coaches.

--pizza

It's one thing delegating some aspects of coaching to ast coaches and another thing them doing the coaching, especially during the game. B/c of others doing his job, Bird is perceived as a good coach when in reality he wasn't doing the coaching.

Hicks
07-07-2010, 04:10 PM
It's one thing delegating some aspects of coaching to ast coaches and another thing them doing the coaching, especially during the game. B/c of others doing his job, Bird is perceived as a good coach when in reality he wasn't doing the coaching.

Part of coaching is leading. An important part.

Hicks
07-07-2010, 04:23 PM
That's true, but if someone else is doing their job there is no need for them.

You make it sound like the CEO of a company should be mopping the floors after everyone leaves at night when he's not busy emptying the trash cans or running the factory machines.

After all, who needs a leader when he's just telling everyone what to do....

odeez
07-07-2010, 04:32 PM

I disagree, and I think the women of the WNBA would disagree as well. But I do think Laimbeer would be a great choice.

Sookie
07-07-2010, 04:39 PM
I disagree, and I think the women of the WNBA would disagree as well. But I do think Laimbeer would be a great choice.

Depends on the highschool team. Some highschool teams could beat top college teams. (Lebron's old highschool team...) If you've got a player on that team capable of being a star the second the walk into the NBA. A WNBA team would struggle.

However, Laimbeer, I think, would be a fantastic pick..for this team especially. I've said before, that we have a team filled with "big time" college guys. It's why not one of them have blasted JOB to the press, and why they all listen and do as they're told. Players league, but this is a coach's team.

Laimbeer is a good coach. But he's..controlling. You do things his way. He actually coaches, he's just not going to look at Danny and go "do whatever you'd like." This would work for a team like ours, most of the players used to a guy like that. Wouldn't work too well for a team with Lebron on it.

I'd also love to Have Laimbeer around Tyler, Josh, and Roy..heh..and Troy :D

Justin Tyme
07-07-2010, 04:49 PM
If the head coach is a leader, and he can bring in the right people to delegate to, there's nothing wrong with that.
You almost seem to suggest we ask Larry who he'd hire as his assistants, then say "Thanks, now go away" while we hire one of them to be the head coach. If you could pull that off, theoretically, that might work, but you're assuming one of the two would-be assistants is as good or better of a leader than Larry.

I have no proiblem with a head coach bringing in good qualified ast coaches, it's an absolute necessity. I do have a problem with those ast coaches doing the coaching while the HC reaps the praise of how good of a HC he is. I'll give Bird credit in that he knew who was doing the "real" coaching and gave Carlisle and Harter credit for it. Kudos to you Mr. Bird!

Seriously, do you think Bird can truly coach? What did you see of Bird in a game that makes you think Bird can coach? I use to get so upset watching Bird stand in a huddle during a game listening to his asts doing the coaching while he stood there saying nothing and gave no direction to the players. What was he there for if not to be coaching and directing the players, lending moral support? I'd love Bird to have to coach this team with the ast coaches that are in place now. It would open up some eyes about Bird's ability to truly coach. It's one thing to have knowledge and another to be able to teach/convey that knowledge to others to use it successfully. For the Pacers' sake, I hope Bird NEVER has to coach again unless it an opposing team.

Rupert Stilinski
07-07-2010, 05:42 PM
The difference between the WNBA and men's ball is that the men play above the rim, while the women play below the net.

They don't have the strength or athleticism to compete.

Sookie
07-07-2010, 07:24 PM
The difference between the WNBA and men's ball is that the men play above the rim, while the women play below the net.

They don't have the strength or athleticism to compete.

But that's not the difference between coaching the men and women.

The difference between coaching men and women, is that women listen, and men do not. (Because women have too, and men do not.)

Geno Auriemma (who has coached both men and women..and was asked about coaching them) when he tells Tiffany Hayes (team's SG) to inbound the ball to Caroline Doty (team's PG) and for her to wait while Tina Charles (team's C) to set a screen for Maya Moore (Team's PF) and have her take a three...then Tiffany Hayes inbounds the ball to Caroline Doty who waits for Tina Charles to set a screen for Maya Moore who then shoots an open three.

now when Jim Calhoun tells Gavin Edwards (team's PF) to inbound the ball to Kemba Walker (team's PG) and for him to wait while Alex Oriahki (team's C) to set a screen for Jerome Dyson (Team's SG) and have him take a three..Then Gavin Edwards inbounds to Jerome Dyson who passes to Stanley Robinson, who misses a well defended three.

He went on to explain that the reason for this is simple. Men can rely on one on one and their athleticism to win games. Women on the other hand have to rely on teamwork and doing what their coach says to win games.

The adjustment from men to women, for Laimbeer..would not be above vs below the rim. In most cases, it would be the "listening" scenario. Except, as I said..our team is different. We have big time college guys who did listen..and continue to listen (unfortunately) Larry drafted a bunch of fundamentally sound teamwork oriented kids. Which, I like. And would be a good fit for Bill. But certainly isn't the norm.

Rupert Stilinski
07-07-2010, 07:29 PM
Sookie, I have no problem with Laimbeer as a coaching prospect. Like it actually. He sounds better than many of the candidates I've heard.

I just took issue with the assertion that Laimbeer's Detroit Shock teams could play on the same court as the Pacers. That's laughable, and I know it wasn't meant to be taken seriously by pacergod2, but I'm not as certain about some of those who have replied.

MaHa3000
07-07-2010, 10:51 PM
I'm all for Vogel taking over as interim.

Assistant coach Frank Vogel, who's guiding the summer-league team, had a talk with McRoberts Wednesday morning to help the young forward re-focus.

"We talked about Josh playing the overall game and not thinking about how he's shooting the ball," Vogel said. "He's just so gifted in so many areas … that's what I told him to focus on and that's what he did tonight."

(http://http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/game_100707.html)

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/game_100707.html

Hicks
07-08-2010, 12:53 AM
Seriously, do you think Bird can truly coach? What did you see of Bird in a game that makes you think Bird can coach?

Back then I didn't pay nearly as much/close attention as I do now. In those days I simply watched to see what individual players did (mostly offensively).

So my recollection isn't as good as others, but my impression between what I recall from then and what I've read/heard about it in hindsight since is this:

He was not an X's and O's kind of coach, but he knew what kind of team he wanted/needed to have a chance at a title, he knew the assistant coaches he needed to run that kind of team on both sides of the floor, and he was a leader with regards to getting what he wanted out of people, motivation, instilling a sense of professionalism and confidence in the group, and from what I know of him he likely wasn't remotely afraid to get in people's faces when they needed it. He captained the ship.

d_c
07-08-2010, 03:42 AM
I'm not totally familiar with the situation, but wasn't health a big reason Bird stepped down from coaching?

IIRC, he had a bad back towards the end of his playing career and this persisted when he retired. I figure the traveling grind of an 82 game schedule isn't good for a 6'9" guy in his 40s/50s with a bad back.

Kegboy
07-08-2010, 08:45 AM
Frankly, as much as I dislike Jax nowadays, even I'll admit he did more noticable coaching than Larry did. Another guy who looked more involved than you'd normally think was David Craig. That's why I was so shocked when Larry kicked him upstairs, but recently I've heard that may not have been the case.

Evan_The_Dude
07-08-2010, 12:33 PM
I'd like Carlisle back. He could get our roster in the playoffs as it stands right now. Every coach is going to do something we don't like, but Carlisle made the best out of the worst all the time. Not to mention we won games.

Justin Tyme
07-08-2010, 12:46 PM
[QUOTE=Evan_The_Dude;1031668]

I'd like Carlisle back.QUOTE]

Then you better get rid of the veterans on this team, b/c they were his security blanket.