PDA

View Full Version : Amare is officially a knick 5years 100mil

vnzla81
07-05-2010, 06:16 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/jack_mccallum/07/05/stoudemire.knicks/index.html?eref=sihp

Amar'e Stoudemire agreed to sign with the Knicks on Monday, SI.com has learned, a move that still leaves unanswered the big question of this wild free-agent summer.

Which is: What is LeBron James going to do?

The fact that the talented Stoudemire will be coming to New York to reunite with coach Mike D'Antoni -- he can sign the new contract, believed to be for five years and close to $100 million, as soon as Thursday -- says one of three things:

• James has told the Knicks that he will not accept their offer, sending the message, in effect, to go out and get who you want.

• James has told the Knicks that he is interested in Gotham and likes the idea of teaming up with Stoudemire.

• James has not told the Knicks anything, but they decided to go ahead with Stoudemire anyway.

As first reported by SI.com's Ian Thomsen, James is not expected to announce his decision until mid-week. But virtually every free-agent offer that has been extended, or not extended, has been done so in the context of James. The Knicks would not have invited Stoudemire to the party without consulting with the No. 1 party guest.

Neither Team James nor the Knicks would comment on what ramifications the Stoudemire deal have on James' status vis-à-vis the Knicks.

The offer to the 6-foot-11 Stoudemire had been in the wind for a few days -- mostly because Amar'e put it there -- and most of the pre-signing speculation centered on whether the 27-year-old center/forward can get along with D'Antoni, with whom he had a sometimes rocky relationship when they were together in Phoenix.

Yes, they can.

But that isn't the right basketball question. Which is: Can Stoudemire flourish without a front-line point guard?

It would diminish Stoudemire's talents to suggest that his glittering numbers over eight years with the Suns -- 21.4 points per game with a 54.4 field-goal percentage -- were all the result of his being on the floor with a premier point guard named Steve Nash (who joined Phoenix before Amare's third season). Stoudemire can run the floor and finish with any big man in the league. He is an astonishing dunker who can flush from anywhere near the basket with either hand. He has worked hard to develop a fine outside touch, particularly from the elbow area.

But it's a fact that he is most deadly when storming down the lane after getting the ball on a high pick-and-roll, a stratagem used by Stoudemire and Nash to develop into a sexier version of Karl Malone and John Stockton. Last season's Knicks points guards -- Chris Duhon, Sergio Rodriguez and combo guard Toney Douglas -- resemble Steve Nash only to the degree that they all breathe oxygen and walk erect. (Only Douglas, a rookie last season, is under contract for 2010-11; Duhon is a free agent and Rodriguez has signed with Spain's Real Madrid.)

There are other questions, too.

• Did the Knicks risk too much by guaranteeing all of Stoudemire's money? He had microfracture surgery on his left knee in November 2005, as well as surgery for a detached retina during the latter stages of the 2008-09 season. Stoudemire probably would've re-signed with the Suns had team officials guaranteed the final two years of a five-year deal. But, fearing a breakdown, they based payment on his playing a certain number of minutes. That's when Stoudemire decided to look elsewhere.

• Also, if the Knicks come away with only Stoudemire -- meaning that team execs watch from New York Harbor as James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, Carlos Boozer and Joe Johnson (the last already locked up by his old team, the Hawks) sail away to other destinations -- will the business plan that president Donnie Walsh and D'Antoni brought with them two years ago be considered a failure? That plan was: Lose for two years, win later with prizes picked up in the celebrated free-agent class of 2010. Though trades could still be made, that one seems answerable right now. Yes.

Still, all is not dark in Madison Square Garden. Adding Stoudemire, who averaged 23.1 points and 8.9 rebounds last season and whose play in the final half of the season prompted Suns coach Alvin Gentry to call him "the best player in the league after the All-Star break," has to be considered a roster upgrade. If the Knicks manage to re-sign 6-9 David Lee, they would have (with 6-10 forward Danilo Gallinari) three mobile big men, the kind that the offensive-minded D'Antoni can move around and give defenses a lot of trouble.

As for the past trouble between D'Antoni and Stoudemire, it is mostly that -- past. Stoudemire was on D'Antoni's (and presumably Walsh's list) early, and the coach is said to have preferred Stoudemire's athleticism and offensive explosiveness to the more consistent Boozer and even to the more variegated floor game of Bosh.

But what did happen between D'Antoni and Stoudemire? Not as much as you might think. The 2005-06 season was a strange one in Phoenix. I know because I was there for most of it working on a book about the Suns called Seven Seconds or Less.

Stoudemire's knee injury was discovered in training camp, right after he had signed a big contract. He was just 22 years old, going on 18. He was depressed about his rehab and didn't do it as assiduously as he could have. He missed some team meetings and other engagements. He felt alienated from his teammates, who weren't sure whether he was coming back. In a meeting in March that included then team president Jerry Colangelo and D'Antoni, Stoudemire was told in no uncertain terms to get refocused on rehab and get back in line. Stoudemire said he would. He is not an in-your-face type. Whether he respects authority is one thing, but he generally does not challenge it.

When he did come back in late March, he wasn't ready. That speaks to the uncertainty of microfracture surgery because the Suns' medical staff and training team are respected around the league. He played three games, each one progressively worse than the one before, and the Suns finally shut him down for the season. Stoudemire's return, even at, say, 90 percent, had been perceived as the one ingredient that could've gotten them a championship. (They eventually lost to the Mavericks in the Western Conference finals.) It was enough to try the inner resolve of any team.

But through it all, D'Antoni genuinely liked Stoudemire and appreciated his boyish enthusiasm and self-confidence, both of which, not incidentally, have been on display in recent days. Two days before Stoudemire was even officially extended the contract offer, he was acting like the Prince of the City, pronouncing his intention to lure San Antonio point guard Tony Parker and Denver forward Carmelo Anthony, free-agents-to-be in 2011, to play with him in New York.

But the Knicks also believe that Stoudemire, who once nicknamed himself STAT not because of statistics but as an acronym for "Stand Tall and Talented," has matured and become a more responsible teammate, an opinion backed up by the man who coached him last season.

"Amar'e was incredibly focused, committed and determined last season," Gentry said, "and everyone here was sad to see him go."

Still, Stoudemire needs to be chirped at -- relentlessly -- on defense. Without a daily reminder of his defensive responsibilities, he tends to lose focus. Will D'Antoni demand that Stoudemire give his undivided defensive attention and delegate one of his assistants, either Herb Williams or brother Dan D'Antoni, to stay on Stoudemire? Will Stoudemire listen the way he did during his final year in Phoenix?

But the question to be answered before that is still the big one: Will James be the one working the high pick-and-roll with Stoudemire? If the Knicks bag LeBron, D'Antoni's quarterbacking dilemma is over. He hands the rock to James and says, "Go be Magic Johnson." But if LeBron goes elsewhere, Stoudemire better leave his GM hat on, for the Knicks will still need someone to make him as Tall and Talented as he could be.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/jack_mccallum/07/05/stoudemire.knicks/index.html?eref=sihp#ixzz0sqvyxZ00

Psyren
07-05-2010, 06:18 PM
Good for him. However, I still feel that unless he brings another star with him, the Knicks are not only still irrelevant, but awful. I don't see him changing things.

But that's just me. They'll improve, yes. But not much.

Los Angeles
07-05-2010, 06:20 PM
Good to see Donnie can still hand out ridiculous contracts like he used to.

OakMoses
07-05-2010, 06:21 PM
I think it's worth noting that Stoudamire has never played a season without Steve Nash, and we all know what happened to Marion once he stopped playing with Nash. Stoudamire's a better player than Marion, but he's a beast on the PnR, and the Knicks don't have anybody to run it with him.

Doddage
07-05-2010, 06:25 PM
Speaking of Nash, wonder what his response will be to this. You have to wonder if that Phoenix team can still compete at a playoff level without Amare.

vnzla81
07-05-2010, 06:26 PM
yeah his numbers are going to suffer big time by not having Steve Nash, Walsh maybe has a plan to get another PG, Baron Davis could be that guy I think.

bellisimo
07-05-2010, 06:31 PM
avg of 20mil a year? thats insane

smj887
07-05-2010, 06:32 PM
I think it's worth noting that Stoudamire has never played a season without Steve Nash, and we all know what happened to Marion once he stopped playing with Nash. Stoudamire's a better player than Marion, but he's a beast on the PnR, and the Knicks don't have anybody to run it with him.

He didn't have Nash his first two seasons.

IUfan4life
07-05-2010, 06:37 PM
yeah his numbers are going to suffer big time by not having Steve Nash, Walsh maybe has a plan to get another PG, Baron Davis could be that guy I think.
His numbers aren't going to suffer at all. His numbers will be inflated much like David Lee's

Good for him. However, I still feel that unless he brings another star with him, the Knicks are not only still irrelevant, but awful. I don't see him changing things.

But that's just me. They'll improve, yes. But not much.

The Knicks have too much money left to not bring anyone else in. Rumors Have it that they are going to land Monte Ellis in a 3 team trade

rousea24
07-05-2010, 06:39 PM

Did you read the article above?

It would diminish Stoudemire's talents to suggest that his glittering numbers over eight years with the Suns -- 21.4 points per game with a 54.4 field-goal percentage -- were all the result of his being on the floor with a premier point guard named Steve Nash (who joined Phoenix before Amare's third season).

I don't think it's a terrible offer. Amare will be 32 at the end of his contract, not 34-35. I think the Knicks will add a second player this offseason and if not, will be in position to possibly get Carmelo next year.

I'm not putting the Knicks near the top of the East by any means, but isn't the worst deal this offseason by far (see Joe Johnson).

IUfan4life
07-05-2010, 06:44 PM
Did you read the article above?

It would diminish Stoudemire's talents to suggest that his glittering numbers over eight years with the Suns -- 21.4 points per game with a 54.4 field-goal percentage -- were all the result of his being on the floor with a premier point guard named Steve Nash (who joined Phoenix before Amare's third season).

I don't think it's a terrible offer. Amare will be 32 at the end of his contract, not 34-35. I think the Knicks will add a second player this offseason and if not, will be in position to possibly get Carmelo next year.

I'm not putting the Knicks near the top of the East by any means, but isn't the worst deal this offseason by far (see Joe Johnson).

see Joe Johnson for the top 5 worst deals of this summer

xBulletproof
07-05-2010, 06:45 PM
This isn't a horrible deal. It's not a good deal either.

It's pretty much a "meh" reaction. 20 million a year for an All Star big man shouldn't be a shock. I'd rather have Amare to this contract than to have Frye, Gay, or Johnson with theirs.

joew8302
07-05-2010, 07:03 PM
The contracts this season have been absurd. This is just another chapter. I am sorry, but did anyone else offer Amare near this amount? I mean the Knicks probably outbid everyone by at least 10 million dollars.

vnzla81
07-05-2010, 07:04 PM
The contracts this season have been absurd. This is just another chapter. I am sorry, but did anyone else offer Amare near this amount? I mean the Knicks probably outbid everyone by at least 10 million dollars.

phoenix offered him 71mil, not sure what other teams offered.

xBulletproof
07-05-2010, 07:10 PM

Regular Season Ranks
* Ranks #9 in the NBA in Points Per Game (23.1)
* Ranks #11 in the NBA in Rebounds Per Game (8.9)
* Ranks #5 in the NBA in Field-Goal Percentage (0.557)
* Ranks #22 in the NBA in Blocks Per Game (1.01)
* Ranks #38 in the NBA in Minutes Per Game (34.6)
* Ranks #1 in the NBA in Minutes Played (2838)
* Ranks #1 in the NBA in Field Goals Made (704)
* Ranks #1 in the NBA in Field Goal Attempts (1264)
* Ranks #1 in the NBA in Free Throws (487)
* Ranks #1 in the NBA in Free Throw Attempts (632)
* Ranks #1 in the NBA in Offensive Rebounds (230)
* Ranks #10 in the NBA in Offensive Rebounds Per Game (2.8)
* Ranks #1 in the NBA in Defensive Rebounds (502)
* Ranks #13 in the NBA in Defensive Rebounds Per Game (6.1)
* Ranks #1 in the NBA in Total Rebounds (732)
* Ranks #1 in the NBA in Blocks (83)
* Ranks #1 in the NBA in Points (1896)

* Ranks #1 in the NBA in Double-doubles (31)
* Ranks #6 in the NBA in Field Goals Per 48 Minutes (11.91)
* Ranks #12 in the NBA in Field-Goal Attempts Per 48 Minutes (21.38)
* Ranks #7 in the NBA in Free Throws Per 48 Minutes (8.24)
* Ranks #7 in the NBA in Free Throw Attempts Per 48 Minutes (10.69)
* Ranks #25 in the NBA in Offensive Rebounds Per 48 Minutes (3.9)
* Ranks #28 in the NBA in Defensive Rebounds Per 48 Minutes (8.5)
* Ranks #23 in the NBA in Rebounds Per 48 Minutes (12.4)
* Ranks #41 in the NBA in Blocks Per 48 Minutes (1.4)
* Ranks #6 in the NBA in Points Per 48 Minutes (32.1)
* Ranks #1 in the NBA in Total Turnovers (213)
* Ranks #1 in the NBA in Total Efficiency Points (1927)
* Ranks #10 in the NBA in Efficiency Ranking (23.5)
* Ranks #7 in the NBA in Efficiency Ranking Per 48 Minutes (32.6)
* Ranks #17 in the NBA in Turnovers Per Game (2.6)
* Ranks #24 in the NBA in Turnovers Per 48 Minutes (3.6)

..... you think nobody else offered him 100 million? Are you kidding me?

*Edit* Funny thing is, some of those #1 rankings he wasn't number 1 .... WTF? That's straight from NBA.com's page. That's hilarious. Either way I still stand by the statement. The guy is in the top 20 in scoring, rebounding, shooting percentage and many other stats. I have no idea why people think an All Star PF like this wouldn't get paid this much. Especially when he's still fairly young.

IUfan4life
07-05-2010, 07:17 PM
phoenix offered him 71mil, not sure what other teams offered.

I heard they offered 95

PacersPride
07-05-2010, 07:26 PM
The fact that the talented Stoudemire will be coming to New York to reunite with coach Mike D'Antoni -- he can sign the new contract, believed to be for five years and close to $100 million, as soon as Thursday -- says one of three things:

• James has told the Knicks that he will not accept their offer, sending the message, in effect, to go out and get who you want.

• James has told the Knicks that he is interested in Gotham and likes the idea of teaming up with Stoudemire.

• James has not told the Knicks anything, but they decided to go ahead with Stoudemire anyway.

anyone else get a chuckle out of this guys Mr. Obvious analysis here.. i mean really thats what it means?? like anyone with have a brain couldnt figure this out on their own :laugh:

joew8302
07-05-2010, 07:28 PM
Regular Season Ranks
* Ranks #9 in the NBA in Points Per Game (23.1)
* Ranks #11 in the NBA in Rebounds Per Game (8.9)
* Ranks #5 in the NBA in Field-Goal Percentage (0.557)
* Ranks #22 in the NBA in Blocks Per Game (1.01)
* Ranks #38 in the NBA in Minutes Per Game (34.6)
* Ranks #1 in the NBA in Minutes Played (2838)
* Ranks #1 in the NBA in Field Goals Made (704)
* Ranks #1 in the NBA in Field Goal Attempts (1264)
* Ranks #1 in the NBA in Free Throws (487)
* Ranks #1 in the NBA in Free Throw Attempts (632)
* Ranks #1 in the NBA in Offensive Rebounds (230)
* Ranks #10 in the NBA in Offensive Rebounds Per Game (2.8)
* Ranks #1 in the NBA in Defensive Rebounds (502)
* Ranks #13 in the NBA in Defensive Rebounds Per Game (6.1)
* Ranks #1 in the NBA in Total Rebounds (732)
* Ranks #1 in the NBA in Blocks (83)
* Ranks #1 in the NBA in Points (1896)

* Ranks #1 in the NBA in Double-doubles (31)
* Ranks #6 in the NBA in Field Goals Per 48 Minutes (11.91)
* Ranks #12 in the NBA in Field-Goal Attempts Per 48 Minutes (21.38)
* Ranks #7 in the NBA in Free Throws Per 48 Minutes (8.24)
* Ranks #7 in the NBA in Free Throw Attempts Per 48 Minutes (10.69)
* Ranks #25 in the NBA in Offensive Rebounds Per 48 Minutes (3.9)
* Ranks #28 in the NBA in Defensive Rebounds Per 48 Minutes (8.5)
* Ranks #23 in the NBA in Rebounds Per 48 Minutes (12.4)
* Ranks #41 in the NBA in Blocks Per 48 Minutes (1.4)
* Ranks #6 in the NBA in Points Per 48 Minutes (32.1)
* Ranks #1 in the NBA in Total Turnovers (213)
* Ranks #1 in the NBA in Total Efficiency Points (1927)
* Ranks #10 in the NBA in Efficiency Ranking (23.5)
* Ranks #7 in the NBA in Efficiency Ranking Per 48 Minutes (32.6)
* Ranks #17 in the NBA in Turnovers Per Game (2.6)
* Ranks #24 in the NBA in Turnovers Per 48 Minutes (3.6)

..... you think nobody else offered him 100 million? Are you kidding me?

*Edit* Funny thing is, some of those #1 rankings he wasn't number 1 .... WTF? That's straight from NBA.com's page. That's hilarious. Either way I still stand by the statement. The guy is in the top 20 in scoring, rebounding, shooting percentage and many other stats. I have no idea why people think an All Star PF like this wouldn't get paid this much. Especially when he's still fairly young.

Gee, all these great stats and you didn't mention a microfracture knee surgery or a serious eye injury. But hey, at least you are not bias.:rolleyes:

Bucher was on ESPN a week ago and said Amare's eye is so fragile that one poke while playing could potentially end his career. Also, the long term prognosis of microfracture knee surgery is hit or miss at best. Giving him lots of years and lots of money is without a doubt a gamble no matter how many pretty numbers you put up.

vnzla81
07-05-2010, 07:43 PM
Amare is one of my favorite players in the NBA but I don't think he is worth 20mil a year, I still don't understand why the Knicks are looking to move David Lee, to me Lee has the same effect in the team than Amare.

Another thing I don't understand is why Phoenix let Amare walk like that, why no do a sign and trade for Lee? Lee in phoenix could be nice.

Brian
07-05-2010, 07:47 PM
anyone else get a chuckle out of this guys Mr. Obvious analysis here.. i mean really thats what it means?? like anyone with have a brain couldnt figure this out on their own :laugh:

Yep, I did. I cracked a smile and chuckled. But i've been doing that most of this nba free agency period, I mean EVERY "expert" on ESPN,Fox Sports..etc has been saying "well (insert f/a name here) could either end up in NJ,NY,MIA,CHI or they might end up staying at home"..But its so funny because they've been all saying the same things since day 1.

Goes to show how many of these guys actually have inside info.

hoosierguy
07-05-2010, 07:47 PM
Gee, all these great stats and you didn't mention a microfracture knee surgery or a serious eye injury. But hey, at least you are not bias.:rolleyes:

Bucher was on ESPN a week ago and said Amare's eye is so fragile that one poke while playing could potentially end his career.

Which is why he wears those large protective glasses. I think his eye should be OK.

xBulletproof
07-05-2010, 07:48 PM

Bucher was on ESPN a week ago and said Amare's eye is so fragile that one poke while playing could potentially end his career. Also, the long term prognosis of microfracture knee surgery is hit or miss at best. Giving him lots of years and lots of money is without a doubt a gamble no matter how many pretty numbers you put up.

Bias? Are you kidding me? Roll your eyes at your liberal use of the term. I forgot my account is "Amare#1" or "GoKnicks".

I guess having an opinion is a bias. Ric Bucher (who isn't a doctor, btw) is bias. You're bias. We're all FREAKING BIAS!!!!

Get over yourself.

joew8302
07-05-2010, 07:52 PM
Bias? Are you kidding me? Roll your eyes at your liberal use of the term. I forgot my account is "Amare#1" or "GoKnicks".

I guess having an opinion is a bias. Ric Bucher (who isn't a doctor, btw) is bias. You're bias. We're all FREAKING BIAS!!!!

Get over yourself.

Please, your biased because you bring up one side of the coin and not the other. If you are going to present evidence you might as well bring up all the evidence. Leaving serious points out like you did is biased whether you want to admit it or not.

speakout4
07-05-2010, 07:53 PM
Now he can do it for a richer team and not put them in a financial hole.

xBulletproof
07-05-2010, 07:58 PM
Please, your biased because you bring up one side of the coin and not the other. If you are going to present evidence you might as well bring up all the evidence. Leaving serious points out like you did is biased whether you want to admit it or not.

.... or it could be that he's far enough removed from knee surgery it's clear he's doing fine, and as someone else already addressed the eye issue that it's fine as well.

That's called an OPINION. Learn it, love it, and accept it. Not everyone shares yours, and it doesn't mean everyone else is bias.

Do I really have to explain this? I feel like I'm talking to my niece or nephew or something. Silly.

pacergod2
07-05-2010, 07:59 PM
With this all happening I could very easily see them sign Carlos Boozer in Phoenix. I think Boozer wants to get paid, but I think that lineup would be devastating.

Nash, Richardson, Hill, Boozer, Lopez

Boozer would make the smart move and go somewhere he actually had a center to play next to him. Lopez is a very good young center with legitimate skills. Boozer would be very effective playing next to a guy like Lopez. I think Boozer was a better player next to Fesenko than he was with Okur. Okur is definitely better than Fesenko, but Boozer is more effective with a bigger, post-oriented center.

Amare is a very good player, but I am a bit surprised he (and definitely his agent) isn't pushing for the Knicks to go get a center like Brendan Haywood as the third player they bring in. Oh wait... they do have Eddy Curry...

vnzla81
07-05-2010, 08:03 PM
With this all happening I could very easily see them sign Carlos Boozer in Phoenix. I think Boozer wants to get paid, but I think that lineup would be devastating.

Nash, Richardson, Hill, Boozer, Lopez

Boozer would make the smart move and go somewhere he actually had a center to play next to him. Lopez is a very good young center with legitimate skills. Boozer would be very effective playing next to a guy like Lopez. I think Boozer was a better player next to Fesenko than he was with Okur. Okur is definitely better than Fesenko, but Boozer is more effective with a bigger, post-oriented center.

Amare is a very good player, but I am a bit surprised he (and definitely his agent) isn't pushing for the Knicks to go get a center like Brendan Haywood as the third player they bring in. Oh wait... they do have Eddy Curry...

how phoenix could get Boozer? I think that phoenix got Warrick to replace Amare, I don't see them signing any other big

cordobes
07-05-2010, 08:04 PM
Speaking of Nash, wonder what his response will be to this. You have to wonder if that Phoenix team can still compete at a playoff level without Amare.

I was thinking about that, what's the next step for the Suns? They should try to trade Nash+Richardson, I think. Get some value for them, some young players or picks.

edit: didn't read the last 2 posts before. Yeah, I think that after signing Warrick they don't have enough room under the cap to sign Boozer or a FA of that level.

Sollozzo
07-05-2010, 08:37 PM
They would never Nash. He's the face of the franchise. That would be a tremendous slap in the face to him and everything he's done for that organization. Plus he's still likely got 2-3 good years left and you might as well ride out the career of one of the greatest PG's ever while you can.

pacergod2
07-05-2010, 09:15 PM
how phoenix could get Boozer? I think that phoenix got Warrick to replace Amare, I don't see them signing any other big

They could do a sign and trade with Utah was my thought. They are still about 5M below the cap if I am not mistaken after the two guys they signed. I think they could get Boozer starting around 10, while taking back a player like Jared Dudley at $2M. The Suns are under the cap and can take back more salary than they send out.

DocHolliday
07-05-2010, 09:48 PM
Does this contract sound familiar to anyone else? Sounds like JO's big deal to me. Though I think Amare won't pull the "ow my ankle, oh no sinus infection, ow my foot" routine every January. Still, he has enough past injury issues to make this contract another in a long line of bad Knicks deals.

Young
07-05-2010, 09:59 PM
Does this contract sound familiar to anyone else? Sounds like JO's big deal to me. Though I think Amare won't pull the "ow my ankle, oh no sinus infection, ow my foot" routine every January. Still, he has enough past injury issues to make this contract another in a long line of bad Knicks deals.

Actually didn't Jermaine get about $20 million more?

It's a good start for New York. They still have a ways to go. Even if they can't get James this summer maybe Carmelo will in fact decide to go there next summer.

I don't think Amare's numbers will suffer playing without Steve Nash. Not to take away anything that Nash does because he has to make the game easier for his teammates but Amare Stoudamire is a heck of a player. Yes Shawn Marion's numbers declined once he wasn't playing with Nash but he is a guy who is much better at playing without the ball (making him a perfect fit with a point guard like Nash) where Amare is a guy who can be very effective with the ball. Amare will be fine no matter who is throwing him the ball.

Anthem
07-05-2010, 10:30 PM
Actually didn't Jermaine get about $20 million more?
I don't recall the exact amount, but Jermaine's deal was 7 years, not 5.

vnzla81
07-05-2010, 11:12 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AhkNIg5SVgwYTS7xr9MuBJy8vLYF?slug=ys-stoudemireknicks070510

I heard they offered 95

The Suns’ last-ditch proposal to Stoudemire was a five-year offer that guaranteed him $71 million, sources said. The first three seasons were fully guaranteed. The fourth season contained a 50 percent guarantee that could become fully guaranteed based on the number of minutes Stoudemire played in the first three seasons. The fifth season of the contract also could become guaranteed based on a minutes incentive.

The Suns put in the incentives because of concerns over Stoudemire’s past knee and eye injuries. Insurance won’t cover Stoudemire’s salary if he can’t play because of any additional problems to either of his knees or his right eye.

Sollozzo
07-06-2010, 12:00 AM
This is a good, necessary signing by the Knicks. They had to get a player like Stoudemire in order to have a prayer at getting Lebron. Lebron probably wasn't going to consider that team as it was but with the addition of Amare you can bet he's giving them some consideration. The Knicks had the weakest roster before Amare but now they have a fellow star for Lebron to pair up with. Even if Lebron doesn't go there they have still signed their best player since Ewing.

graphic-er
07-06-2010, 12:13 AM
I think this is a great move for knicks in terms of the FA. The 3 Superstars are all waiting for the first one to make their move. I don't think the Knicks thought they were any sort of front runners to land Lebron or Wade when compared to Chicago or NJ. They have basically told Lebron and Wade to decide which one of you wants to play with Bosh, and the other can basiclaly stay put or come play with Amare.

When you look at Amare, both Wade and Lebron would probably matchup better playing with Amare than Bosh. Especially Lebron, who likes an open court style game.

Granted they could still sign with Chicago or NJ, but its just puts more pressure on those teams to be able to secure more talent, and one major talent just came off the market. At some point wade and Lebron are gonna say to themselves, well NY doesn't look too bad. And Parker could land in NY next season.

NY has drawn the line and said either more money is important to you or a chance to win a title.

CableKC
07-06-2010, 12:31 AM
Yeah no kidding....is Amare "JO Pt 2" ( contractwise and Productionwise )?

Day-V
07-06-2010, 12:45 AM

That would be fantastic.I don't see it happening, but if it did, the Suns would be a pretty tough team.

Sollozzo
07-06-2010, 12:49 AM
Yeah no kidding....is Amare "JO Pt 2" ( contractwise and Productionwise )?

Amare has been a beast since he came into the league. Since the knee injury that cost him the 05-06 season his games played has gone as followed:

53 (eye injury which is why he wears goggles now)

I think he's a safe bet. He'll just be 32 when this contract ends. Plus he's shown that he can come back from an awful knee injury and take on full season loads, including deep playoff runs. All that's bothered him since 05-06 is that bizarre eye injury.

The Knicks struck first and have arguably gotten the 4th best player in this loaded free agent class. Yes they paid a lot, but you have to pay if you want guys to play with you. The signing of Amare has apparently made Lebron at least made Lebron take a close look at him - something that he probably wouldn't have done had they not upgraded that weak roster. For that reason alone it's beyond worth it. Even if The King doesn't go to New York, the Knicks have added the best player since Ewing. The Knicks and their fans have had enough of 20 and 30 something win seasons and had to do something to make a splash. This is probably the most excitement they've had since they beat us in 1999.

If Lebron ends up in New York then this Amare signing is one of the best ever.......

oz_pacer
07-06-2010, 03:59 AM
anyone else get a chuckle out of this guys Mr. Obvious analysis here.. i mean really thats what it means?? like anyone with have a brain couldnt figure this out on their own :laugh:yea it deserves a "thanks scoop" thats for sure

Sparhawk
07-06-2010, 02:54 PM
Good luck with that deal Knicks.

Pretty much every deal this summer that I have seen has been a head scratcher. Having so many teams with tons of cap space seems to have inflated everyone's value.

Hopefully the Pacers won't have that problem next year. How many teams are looking to have a lot of cap space next year? Hopefully not many.

vnzla81
07-06-2010, 03:53 PM
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2010/07/05/20100705phoenix-suns-amare-stoudemire-plan.html

Phoenix Suns seek return on Amar'e Stoudemire's move to New York Knicks

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2010/07/05/20100705phoenix-suns-amare-stoudemire-plan.html#ixzz0swCNKWba

The Suns still might be able to get something out of Amar'e Stoudemire's departure after all.

Even with Stoudemire agreeing to a five-year, $99.7 million deal with the New York Knicks, the Suns are working on being able to use Stoudemire's rights in a sign-and-trade deal with the Knicks for a trade exception or perhaps even free-agent power forward David Lee.

The Suns would do so by also executing a sign-and-trade deal with Chicago and Hakim Warrick, who finished last season with the Bulls.

The Suns agreed to a four-year, $18 million deal with Warrick on Thursday night after Stoudemire had rejected the Suns' five-year, $96.6 million offer that included partial fourth- and fifth-year guarantees.

If the Suns do a sign-and-trade for Stoudemire first, they could receive a trade exception of up to about $17 million in return, unless a Lee contract is included. The Suns would then use part of that exception for the first $4 million year of Warrick's contract in a sign-and-trade with Chicago.

Chicago could benefit by getting a second-round draft pick from Phoenix, which might be able to get a second-round pick and a trade exception or Lee from New York. The Knicks benefit with a small bump in cap space by starting Stoudemire's contract at a lower first-year salary because the deal can have 10.5 percent raises via Phoenix rather than 8 percent raises if done by New York.

Otherwise, the Suns, after more than two years of considering trading Stoudemire, would see him leave for New York without any compensation, other than getting salary-cap relief and no longer being a luxury-tax-paying team.

"If we can do something to help Phoenix, we will," Stoudemire's agent, Happy Walters, said.

NBA free agents can't sign until Thursday.

The Suns also were rumored to be talking to Boston about trading Leandro Barbosa for Rasheed Wallace's contract until Wallace started reconsidering retirement plans. That could have led to a payroll-friendly contract buyout.

The Suns have talked to Cleveland about a deal that would send Barbosa there for Jamario Moon, whose contract expires in a year, and Delonte West, who can be bought out of his contract. Barbosa has two years and $14.7 million remaining on his deal.

Moving Barbosa could put Phoenix in a position to save $3.5 million this season and have more salary-cap space next summer, when Jason Richardson's contract expires, for a maximum-level free agent. However, after Carmelo Anthony, the 2011 free-agency pool won't be nearly as strong, and there is a strong chance of a lockout.