PDA

View Full Version : Dirk signs for 80mil instead of 96.2mil

Pacers2012
07-03-2010, 11:39 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/news/story?id=5352960

Looks like dirk will remain in dallas atleast till 2013-14 season. The big story out of this should be that Dirk took less money then he could of got to assure the team can still have money to make deals.

Not many top flight players would sign for less then they could get. Dirk is wise in knowing the more money he takes, the less money there is to put together at championship team. This has really yet to be seen in the nba regularly.

In the nfl peyton manning took less money so the colts could put more money into the defense. Also Tom Brady and other players on the patriots took less money to get their 3 championship even if their coaches did cheat during those years.

This likely wont become an everyday thing in the nba though.

ChristianDudley
07-03-2010, 11:44 PM
thankfully there are a few guys out there in the NBA, such as Granger and Dirk, that realize the money they will already be getting is enormous and that winning should be more important to them than the $$.

GrangerRanger
07-03-2010, 11:46 PM
But Danny should have known he's not going to win anything. So what does that make him?

Pointz
07-03-2010, 11:48 PM
I applaud Dirk for taking less but he opted out to get more money in the long run and he could of been influenced by Cuban and the upcoming CBA. His last year option was a little above his new base salary but it could help bring someone in but I would guess it had more to do with longer financial security than charitable actions but its still a good deal.

Los Angeles
07-03-2010, 11:51 PM
thankfully there are a few guys out there in the NBA, such as Granger and Dirk, that realize the money they will already be getting is enormous and that winning should be more important to them than the $$.

Actually, it's my opinion that Danny's contract was exactly in line with market value of a player of his ability level and position. Iggy makes pretty much the same amount.

pizza guy
07-03-2010, 11:55 PM
I like to see this. I mean really, when you're looking at 80 million versus 96.2, what does it matter? Unless you're an idiot and you blow it all, you're going to pretty much be set up for life. So will your kids, and their kids. And maybe their kids' kids. Stuff like this makes me feel better about being a fan because it reminds me that not all players are total knuckleheads. Even if he did it to get a little more money that his last deal, he still took less than he could've, and I think that says a lot.

--pizza

Hicks
07-04-2010, 12:07 AM
But Danny should have known he's not going to win anything. So what does that make him?

Really? He already knows that about every season left on his contract?

Bball
07-04-2010, 12:10 AM
Really? He already knows that about every season left on his contract?

He probably does now...

count55
07-04-2010, 06:15 AM
Danny did not take less money. He took what he was offered, and at the time, the amount was considered fair to perhaps a little high for Danny.

You have to remember that Danny signed his extension before he had his breakout, All Star season. Leaguewide at that time, Danny was considered a lesser player than guys like Iggy, Rudy Gay, and Luol Deng. If Danny and his agent had known what kind of year he would have in 2009, it's really unlikely that they sign that extension.

You simply can't make the case that Danny turned down money "for the good of the team," because Danny was never offered more money, and there was no reason to really expect that he would be at the time he signed the contract.

Mourning
07-04-2010, 01:22 PM
I remember feeling quite happy with what Danny took and thinking it was "fair". That's totally subjective though, offcourse.

owl
07-04-2010, 06:26 PM
Danny did not take less money. He took what he was offered, and at the time, the amount was considered fair to perhaps a little high for Danny.

You have to remember that Danny signed his extension before he had his breakout, All Star season. Leaguewide at that time, Danny was considered a lesser player than guys like Iggy, Rudy Gay, and Luol Deng. If Danny and his agent had known what kind of year he would have in 2009, it's really unlikely that they sign that extension.

You simply can't make the case that Danny turned down money "for the good of the team," because Danny was never offered more money, and there was no reason to really expect that he would be at the time he signed the contract.

Danny could have waited and seen how the season went before signing the extension.

joew8302
07-04-2010, 07:12 PM
Danny could have waited and seen how the season went before signing the extension.

Your point? We are all aware of this. Danny didn't. Good for the Pacers, but it probably cost Danny a few million.

jeffg-body
07-05-2010, 02:44 AM
Even though the Mavs are not a team I like, this is a pretty cool act by a player to help the team anyway he can.