PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Perspective I Guess???

TrueBlue372
07-03-2010, 10:29 AM
As a high school varsity coach I can't help but to think JOB only comments from his own personal views and concepts as coach and how he sees playing fitting into HIS system. After watching the scrimmage online, I thought Magum looked solid out there, but nothing outstanding. Every year JOB provides us fans with noteable quotes which leads us to believe that we have landed the leagues best draft class and each year we are left stratching our heads at seasons end. I understand any second rounder who makes the team has to really impress Bird and the staff.

I guess my question is does anyone hear believe in JOB? Can his system be successful or has it every been successful? Is his observations about our draft picks each year accurate and if so, does he simply lack what it takes to develop them??? Maybe I am being to hard on JOB and I need to give him more time!!!

Brad8888
07-03-2010, 10:35 AM
As a high school varsity coach I can't help but to think JOB only comments from his own personal views and concepts as coach and how he sees playing fitting into HIS system. After watching the scrimmage online, I thought Magum looked solid out there, but nothing outstanding. Every year JOB provides us fans with noteable quotes which leads us to believe that we have landed the leagues best draft class and each year we are left stratching our heads at seasons end. I understand any second rounder who makes the team has to really impress Bird and the staff.

I guess my question is does anyone hear believe in JOB? Can his system be successful or has it every been successful? Is his observations about our draft picks each year accurate and if so, does he simply lack what it takes to develop them??? Maybe I am being to hard on JOB and I need to give him more time!!!

You will see soon enough that the majority here don't believe JOB, and quite a few of us see him as being the same or worse than a used car salesman.

The last thing anyone needs to do with respect to JOB is give him more time, unless it is more free time due to his being fired.

Gamble1
07-03-2010, 10:39 AM

I'll let Unclebuck answer your question. By now he should have all the stats memorized.

In short it has been successful in the past but with totally different palyers than what the Pacers have.

Ozwalt72
07-03-2010, 11:13 AM
As a high school varsity coach I can't help but to think JOB only comments from his own personal views and concepts as coach and how he sees playing fitting into HIS system. After watching the scrimmage online, I thought Magum looked solid out there, but nothing outstanding.

Let me preface this by saying.....yeah, I think JOb should be fired....two years ago.

A.) How is a coach SUPPOSED to comment? He's not going to say, "Magnum looked horrible to Greg Popovich thus far in practice." If a guy looks good to JOb, he'll say that. There isn't any smokescreen about it. Is there undue hype? There always is.

B.) I wouldn't take ANYTHING from this scrimmage. It isn't even the whole scrimmage, correct? Crappy, flat camera work only shows you so much. Also, it's like day 3 of Rookie Camp.

Ozwalt72
07-03-2010, 11:16 AM

It has been. See the Celtics and Sixers when JOb coached there. Most of what he says about our picks is probably PR fluff - you'll probably never know what he really thinks. Does he lack what it takes to develop them? Has Hibbert not developed? It's the NBA man, not a video game. You can't do "Low Post Defense" in training camp to improve Blocking, Defensive Awareness, and Strength by 4 points each.

Again, let me stress that I don't like JOb as a coach.

TrueBlue372
07-03-2010, 11:32 AM
I agree it is on the players to put the time into getting better. However when you have failed to make the players in four years as a head coach and you are making millions of dollars to coach a team that has a rich tradition in winning, you need to be in the gym with the guys who are here in the summer.

When I was making note of whether his system has been successful, I guess I was wanting to know has he been to an eastern conference final or had any substantial success going deep into the playoffs.

Ozwalt72
07-03-2010, 11:41 AM
I agree it is on the players to put the time into getting better. However when you have failed to make the players in four years as a head coach and you are making millions of dollars to coach a team that has a rich tradition in winning, you need to be in the gym with the guys who are here in the summer.

When I was making note of whether his system has been successful, I guess I was wanting to know has he been to an eastern conference final or had any substantial success going deep into the playoffs.

Boston, Conference Finals and Conference Semi-finals in 01-02 and 02-03. And fwiw, JOb has coached our summer league team, I'd say he's been in the gym with the guys in the summer.

Putnam
07-03-2010, 11:50 AM
I guess my question is does anyone hear believe in JOB?

No. For months, my signature has been, "He says what he says. He does what he does. But he doesn't do what he says." This is in respect of O'brien's mendacity, double-talk and inconsistency.

I don't object nearly as strongly as many around here with most of O'Brien's coaching decisions. But the way he talks frustrates me very much. His first couple of seasons he was very plain-spoken and forthcoming. Now . . . well, "He says what he says. He does what he does. But he doesn't do what he says."