PDA

View Full Version : All I want in a PG acquistion is...

Doug
07-02-2010, 09:57 PM
If we trade for or sign a free agent point guard, all I want is that...

...he is clearly better than his backup.

I want an undisputed #1 PG. Period. No more saying why isn't so-and-so getting minutes.

If we can't get a true starting point guard, one forever banishes the "why isn't tj/earl/aj starting" talk, then there is no point in trading one.

Until we have consistency at that one position, we will not have consistent results. (ie. wins).

Really, the same goes for any other trade or signing - if they are not significantly and without question better than whoever we already have, then there is NO point. None.

BigAndy
07-02-2010, 09:59 PM
I agree.

CableKC
07-02-2010, 10:50 PM
What if the PG that we get this season is only slightly ( to a little bit ) better then the backup PG?

Cuz I think that is what we are going to get.

With our "1 year contracts" that we apparently offering....I wouldn't be surprised if we're gonna end up with Rafer Alston or something....

vnzla81
07-02-2010, 10:54 PM
If the Pacers are offering a one year deal to a point guard why they don't bring Diener Back?

speakout4
07-02-2010, 11:00 PM
If we trade for or sign a free agent point guard, all I want is that...

...he is clearly better than his backup.

I want an undisputed #1 PG. Period. No more saying why isn't so-and-so getting minutes.

If we can't get a true starting point guard, one forever banishes the "why isn't tj/earl/aj starting" talk, then there is no point in trading one.

Until we have consistency at that one position, we will not have consistent results. (ie. wins).

Really, the same goes for any other trade or signing - if they are not significantly and without question better than whoever we already have, then there is NO point. None.
Sorry but our ability to land a long term PG without hurting the present team is much greater when we have significant cap space than trying to squeeze a new player into a team that is struggling with the LT.

We can surely wait one more year to really turn this team around. Walsh and Riley did just that to get into the big FA sweepstakes this year. Whether they get LeBron or not they will likely wind up with much better players.
Not only are we waiting a year to restock the team but we will be able to offer a new coach some real assets-young players and a bunch of FA signings.

McKeyFan
07-02-2010, 11:05 PM
I like Rafer Alston.

graphic-er
07-02-2010, 11:33 PM
Go get Tony Parker, shoot for the moon!

CableKC
07-02-2010, 11:52 PM
I like Rafer Alston.
All I remember about him is that he can hit the 3pt shot and can adequately run the point.....nothing to write home about though, but exactly what we're going to get if all that we are going to offer is 1 year contracts.

jeffg-body
07-03-2010, 12:21 AM
I am in the same boat hoping for a true PG for out team. With what is being offered around the league I would only be interested in 3 young guys.

I like Darren Collison and think he would be nasty good for use. I also like Davin Harris, but I believe that they want too much in return. The last guy I like for this preseason I would really like Livingston. Size is impossible to teach.

If we can get one or even two of these players and ship out Ford in a trade I would be happy as heck with our PG situation.

An example could be we trade Danny, Solo and TJ to the Nets for D. Harris, Favors and their 2011 1st rounder. I don't know if it workable or not but it was my idea.

pacers74
07-03-2010, 06:49 AM
Yes that is what everyone wants, but the reality of the situation is not going to allow that. The dream of Collison seems all but over, the only way you get Harris is give up Granger, and Parker isn't coming here.
If we can sign someone hopefully they will be better than what we have, but probably not that much better to surplant themselves into the starting spot without anyone crticizing them.
My only hope is that Bird has something magical up his sleeve, that maybe we have discussed, or maybe it is something out of the blue to right the PG position.
If the Collison deal is dead, maybe the Hill deal is still there.

Tom White
07-03-2010, 11:25 AM
I thought the original idea of the thread was to give what qualities you want in a point guard, not another "I want this guy or that guy thread". Am I wrong?

Anyway, what I want in a point guard is a guy who is a leader. This team hurts for leadership, and I think that is the number one quality/trait that a good point guard can bring. I want a guy who is going to get the attention, trust and respect of the other players.

Brad8888
07-03-2010, 11:53 AM
I thought the original idea of the thread was to give what qualities you want in a point guard, not another "I want this guy or that guy thread". Am I wrong?

Anyway, what I want in a point guard is a guy who is a leader. This team hurts for leadership, and I think that is the number one quality/trait that a good point guard can bring. I want a guy who is going to get the attention and respect of the other players.

Agreed. Leadership from the point is key to developing both team chemistry in general, and cohesiveness in close game situations. Teams can be successful without that, but it is easier if the pg can lead when called upon to do so.

We need Jarrett Jack back, but it would take giving up at least an expiring Foster to get that done, and I really doubt that is an option. I also doubt that Toronto would take TJ back, even as an expiring, but I could easily be wrong about that.

Doug
07-03-2010, 12:23 PM
Well, we definitely don't need another "I want this guy" thread.

My only real intention was to vent that another mediocre point guard does us exactly zero good.

count55
07-03-2010, 12:52 PM
My only real intention was to vent that another mediocre point guard does us exactly zero good.

This isn't actually true.

IMO, another swing and a miss at "the answer" would do us exactly zero good.

In fact, I think we could use a year of just solid, unexciting stability at the point. We have too many other positions and players that need to grow and develop, particularly Roy, and having bad point guard play really gets in the way of that.

I think it would be much more productive to have a sound year of Earl Watson or Luke Ridnour, backed up by each other or (hopefully) a healthy AJ Price.

The problem with the idea of finding "the answer" at the point is that there are, what - 20 other teams in the league still looking for the answer at the point? Realistically, we may not find that answer for years.

A point guard situation that is consistently mediocre with occasionally flashes of average would be a big upgrade over the roller coaster we've dealt with over the last decade. And I think it would be very helpful to guys like Hibbert, Rush, George, Hansbrough, and McBob.

Sookie
07-03-2010, 12:59 PM
I think far too many people are looking for Superstars at the point, and the truth is, there are about five superstars at the point.

I've said it quite often, better to go with the solid starter, than go looking for potential especially at the point. I mean...Lance..seriously?

speakout4
07-03-2010, 02:15 PM
I think far too many people are looking for Superstars at the point, and the truth is, there are about five superstars at the point.

I've said it quite often, better to go with the solid starter, than go looking for potential especially at the point. I mean...Lance..seriously?
As said before we have had too many misses at PG with too much money wasted. No more mistakes!!

Doug
07-03-2010, 02:54 PM
This isn't actually true.

IMO, another swing and a miss at "the answer" would do us exactly zero good.

In fact, I think we could use a year of just solid, unexciting stability at the point.
I don't really disagree with that. And I'm not advocating taking another swing at this point in time.

But we've already seen that with 3-4 roughly equal point guards we don't get stability. We get a lot of TJ with a little Earl, then some Earl with AJ, maybe a little Jones at the point, and then a side of Diener thrown in now and then.

I would have been perfectly fine with AJ getting 34 minutes a night as the starter all year this year. In fact, I think that would have been the best scenario. But his injury has screwed that up.

I don't know what I want, except that Farmar and (most) of the others being mentioned don't do it for me. Except, perhaps, as a cheap one year rental.

Doug
07-03-2010, 02:57 PM
Oh, and by 'clearly better' I don't necessarily mean 'superstar' or even 'all-star'

pwee31
07-03-2010, 03:02 PM
Randy Foye wouldn't shock me

joew8302
07-03-2010, 03:44 PM
If the option was Watson, Ridenour, Felton, Farmar or Livingston I would probably take another year of Watson for a lot of the reasons count mentioned.

The other PG's we are talking about are not remarkably better than Watson and some (Felton, Farmar) would probably be much more expensive. Also, another year of continuity at the point would be a good thing for developing players.

I mean really, how many more games would we win with Felton or Farmar at the point as opposed to Watson? Now think about the differences in price between them? Is it really worth it? No one we could potentially get here will be a long term solution, so I would go with the solid, non flashy, continuity that Watson would bring.

MillerTime
07-03-2010, 05:51 PM
I still want the Pacers to go after Hinrich. Theres a jam of PGs in Washington and I think Hinrich or Arenas could be traded. I wouldnt want Arenas, but Hinrich Im really interested in.

He could be our long term solution at PG