PDA

View Full Version : Farmar, Felton or Lowry?

Pacers2012
07-02-2010, 06:29 PM
http://network.yardbarker.com/nba/article_external/Down_to_Three_For_Pacers_Farmar_Felton_and_Lowry/2827309

Seems the pacers have the 3 FA they are going to go after. Livingston isn't on the list like i would like to see but, lets hope these aren't our only options. I'm not for felton in the long run. I am fine with Farmar as long as he takes the mid level exception an signed to a 2yr deal or so. Lowry is an ok backup but, not what i'm looking for.

Coop
07-02-2010, 06:32 PM
I would rather go into the season with Price and Lance at the point than sign someone as a stop-gap for a year. What does that do for us development wise?

pwee31
07-02-2010, 06:33 PM
Good Ole Bleacher report. Shockingly, they might be correct about the 3 options the Pacers have.

Un-shockingly they say Felton was the backup to D.J Augustin, and would perhaps come off the bench to split time with T.J Ford.

I apologize for anything from this site that I may have posted in the past. I had no idea... honestly

joew8302
07-02-2010, 06:37 PM
They are all dime a dozen pg's. If it is between these three I will take the cheapest option. No need to go crazy to get one of these guys.

Psyren
07-02-2010, 06:37 PM
I don't think any of them are exactly what we want. As stated before me, I'd rather just go into the season with AJ and Lance running the point as opposed to wasting money on one of those three. We won't be a contender next year, so no point in wasting money to basically rent one of them. Of course, that's assuming AJ is healthy.

But if I had to choose one of them, I'd rather sign Farmar for short term at the MLE.

odeez
07-02-2010, 06:43 PM
Heck maybe pull one of these guy from the rookie squad, but on the real, if I was choosing btw those three I would pick Farmer, he probably cheaper and if we are going with a stop/gap PG, which I don't like he might be the best option. Felton would be ok as well, but neither guy excites me. Lowry would be my third choice out of the three, seen him play a bit in Houston, not enough to rank him higher than the other two.

Day-V
07-02-2010, 06:45 PM
I know I'm beating a dead horse, but I'd really like to see Livingston brought in. He's cheap, has a good amount of talent, and has something to prove.

TheRifleman51
07-02-2010, 06:51 PM
Nice article i would also like to see Livingtston at least in the conversation but i could live with Farmar

odeez
I know I'm beating a dead horse, but I'd really like to see Livingston brought in. He's cheap, has a good amount of talent, and has something to prove.

I actually think it's not a bad idea. I would be for trying him out. How much can he be signed for I wonder?

Wylder1324
I would really like to nab Farmar. I think people are sleeping on him way to much at this point. The Lakers arent a team that will showcase a young PG's skills at all, throw in the Triangle Offense and it does even less. I think for the right price Jordan would be a very intriguing guy to bring in here. He is still young at 23 I beleive and if we could get him for 1-2 year deal on the cheap I think he has the potential to really give us something, the guy is really athletic, has shown the ability to be a pesky defender, solid outside shooter and has always been a good passer....forget his assists avg in LA you cant really go on that with the way the offense is ran there I could def see him if given the minutes with year averages of 14ppg 7ast.....If we can get him for cheap then I think his ceiling is much higher than a Livingston who has had his robbed with the injury.

odeez
07-02-2010, 06:57 PM
I would really like to nab Farmar. I think people are sleeping on him way to much at this point. The Lakers arent a team that will showcase a young PG's skills at all, throw in the Triangle Offense and it does even less. I think for the right price Jordan would be a very intriguing guy to bring in here. He is still young at 23 I beleive and if we could get him for 1-2 year deal on the cheap I think he has the potential to really give us something, the guy is really athletic, has shown the ability to be a pesky defender, solid outside shooter and has always been a good passer....forget his assists avg in LA you cant really go on that with the way the offense is ran there I could def see him if given the minutes with year averages of 14ppg 7ast.....If we can get him for cheap then I think his ceiling is much higher than a Livingston who has had his robbed with the injury.

Hey, if he can average 14 & 7 then I think we all would say sign him up! I am hearing that he might be a chucker, shooting too much. I have no idea if that is true. Like you said LA was never going to feature him in the Triangle.

mikeyism
07-02-2010, 06:59 PM
I'd take Lowry out of those three.

Farmar is the best shooter out of those three, but the worst playmaker. The article blames that on the triangle offense, but he wasn't any better in college, where he nearly posted a 1.4 assist turnover ratio.

All things considered, Lowry and Felton bring similar skills to the table, but Lowry is 2 years younger. Also, Felton will be overpriced since he's been starting for the Bobcats for 5 years.

odeez
07-02-2010, 07:02 PM
I'd take Lowry out of those three.

Farmar is the best shooter out of those three, but the worst playmaker. The article blames that on the triangle offense, but he wasn't any better in college, where he nearly posted a 1.4 assist turnover ratio.

All things considered, Lowry and Felton bring similar skills to the table, but Lowry is 2 years younger. Also, Felton will be overpriced since he's been starting for the Bobcats for 5 years.

Tell us more why you like Lowry?

tadscout
07-02-2010, 07:04 PM
Bleacher Report!!! :mad::rolleyes:

:inbeforethelock2:

pacerDU
07-02-2010, 07:08 PM
To be honest, none of these options really excite me a whole lot. Felton could be good, but I think we'd have to pay too much, in which case no thanks.

If we're simply looking at a 1-year rental, I'd prefer just to bring back Watson for another year. With Blake signing in LA, I'm assuming that removes Watson from their radar. I get the feeling Earl's looking to go to a contender, but if not (and these 3 are the only other options), I'd just as well stick with him.

I like the idea of Livingston as well, as long as it's on the cheap.

indyaway
07-02-2010, 07:14 PM
None of these guys if the contract is for more than 1 year. Front office needs to suck it up, close their wallet, and accept next season is a developmental placeholder until the money comes off the books. At best, I'd say Livingston because I sense he'll be highly motivated.

mikeyism
07-02-2010, 07:15 PM
Tell us more why you like Lowry?

Lowry and Felton are both PGs who are decent at running the offense and playing D. Neither have a rep for being great shooters (although Felton hit a 38% on 3s last year). If it came down to those two, you could sign Lowry and get a younger, similar player for maybe 2/3rds the dollars.

IMHO I wouldn't go with Farmar. He'd get you some 3s, but there's no reason to think he'd be better at running the show than TJ.

vnzla81
07-02-2010, 07:22 PM
neither

Doddage
07-02-2010, 07:33 PM
I would rather go into the season with Price and Lance at the point than sign someone as a stop-gap for a year. What does that do for us development wise?
If we can find a PG that's worthwhile on a minimum contract, then I wouldn't mind picking him up. Otherwise, I don't think it's a huge priority to get one and we can settle with what we have in the interim.

It seems that people forget that we have a point guard that's capable of starting, named T.J. Ford. Knock on him all you want, but he's shown that he has point guard skills at various points the past two seasons. I really don't blame T.J. for his struggles here as much as I believe he's been misused.

Not only does it make basketball sense to play him, but it's also sensible in terms of building the value of an asset. Expiring contracts are nice, but they're nicer when the player behind the contract shows that he has abilities that can help teams out.

Back to the point, I agree that our PG rotation will do until the deadline when we can use expiring contracts for possibly a long-term upgrade. We have players other than our PGs that can initiate the offense. In fact, why don't we feed big Hibb the ball and let him get something going? That'd probably be our best offense, anyway.

Justin Tyme
07-02-2010, 08:36 PM
Good Ole Bleacher report. Shockingly, they might be correct about the 3 options the Pacers have.

Un-shockingly they say Felton was the backup to D.J Augustin, and would perhaps come off the bench to split time with T.J Ford.

I apologize for anything from this site that I may have posted in the past. I had no idea... honestly

IIRC, Augustin did start some with Felton as the B/U. That was when Brown thought Augustin was a darling PG.

Justin Tyme
07-02-2010, 08:39 PM

Keep beating that horse, b/c I wouldn't mind seeing it happen.

TheRifleman51
07-02-2010, 08:46 PM
Keep beating that horse, b/c I wouldn't mind seeing it happen.

I agree lets keep riding his bandwagon lol:dance:

troyc11a
07-02-2010, 09:19 PM

Yea Livingston is a great idea! He shoots the 3-ball so well (Hint: sarcasm).
There is no way any player no matter how talented or how good he is will be brought in unless he shoots 3's well. Lesser talented players who jack up stupid shots are more valuable in JOB's eyes.

pwee31
07-02-2010, 09:24 PM
To answer the question with regards to our PG situation right now...... Yes, my answer to the subject question is Yes.

count55
07-02-2010, 09:30 PM
The most elegant solution for the Pacers would be able to work out a trade with Charlotte that would send out Ford, bring back Felton, and reduce the Pacer payroll by about a million.

Unfortunately, that would put the Bobcats over the the luxury tax, and therefore, I don't think it makes much, if any, sense for Charlotte at all.

Hillman's 'Fro'
07-02-2010, 10:02 PM
Price and Lance ? A kid with a bum knee and another kid who has
never played the position before at any level are gonna man the
point ?

Man, the 'Blue and Gold Koolaid' is flowing freely tonight !

Note: I guess I'd take Farmar.

BornReady
07-02-2010, 10:54 PM
bleacherreport >.<

lil lebowsky
07-03-2010, 12:56 AM

There's no chance in Haiti that Larry Bird does that man. He's not gonna take an injury prone, 2nd year guard, and rookie 2nd round pick that really has no history of playing that spot for our p.g. position next year. Add in T.J. Ford and theres just no chance that we go into the season like that. I doubt Larry Bird sees it your way.

Sookie
07-03-2010, 01:03 AM
There's no chance in Haiti that Larry Bird does that man. He's not gonna take an injury prone, 2nd year guard, and rookie 2nd round pick that really has no history of playing that spot for our p.g. position next year. Add in T.J. Ford and theres just no chance that we go into the season like that. I doubt Larry Bird sees it your way.

I would rather him go into the season with TJ and AJ (assuming he's healthy) then rush to get a bad deal done..no need to hurry..TJ, Murph, Foster, and Dun are going to be worth more as the months go on. We aren't going to be that great this season..don't do anything stupid...

Day-V
07-03-2010, 02:57 AM
I actually think it's not a bad idea. I would be for trying him out. How much can he be signed for I wonder?

His contract last year was a 1-year, 400-some-thousand dollars.

Practically getting him for nothing compared to some of the other dudes out there.

BornReady
07-03-2010, 03:53 AM
I would rather him go into the season with TJ and AJ (assuming he's healthy) then rush to get a bad deal done..no need to hurry..TJ, Murph, Foster, and Dun are going to be worth more as the months go on. We aren't going to be that great this season..don't do anything stupid...

haha I get that we have to be patient, but we can't be THAT patient...going into the season with the same pg rotation minus Watson as last season is...:laugh:

pacers74
07-03-2010, 06:22 AM
I fear Farmar will get a better deal than we are willing to offer. Lowry if we even want him is going to get a good offer form Houston, so he is out. Felton doesn't really impress me. We would have to do a s&t, but than you have Felton for a long term contract.

Sookie
07-03-2010, 12:54 PM
I'd take Farmar, he's going to cost the least amount of money out of the three..and honestly, none of them are all that great.

pwee31
07-03-2010, 01:35 PM
Farmar is 23, with 2 NBA championships, playing a prominent backup role in each of those. He apparently played in an offense that didn't fit his style, but still didn't play poorly. Averaged 13 pts and 5 assists both years in college and over a steal a game. Turned the ball over some, but I think it was just over confidence in decisions.

I think if you're looking for a young cheap PG to make an impact, he's a guy you have to look at. People are drooling over another UCLA PG that needs the ball in his hands to be effective in Collison, yet you just blow Farmar off when he says he needs the ball in his hands to be successful, and has 2 championships.

Not saying he's the long term answer, but he's a guy worth taking a chance on at a cheap price

Pacers2012
07-03-2010, 07:39 PM
I rather have farmar or lowry before signing felton to the big contract he wants. last year lowry averaged 9 n 4.5 on 22min a game. felton averaged 12 and 5.6 on 33min a game. If we sign felton i would be super disappointed. If felton wants to prove he is worth that much money as a starter he should take the one year deal for mid level exception and show us he is worth the money.

DgR
07-03-2010, 08:14 PM
Farmar. Even if he isn't our PG of the future, I think it's safe to say he's going to be better here than he was in LA. Getting starter's minutes will do him good and at the very least raise his value. Assuming he'll sign a reasonable contract, I don't think we'll have any trouble trading him if we'll ever need to. It's a pretty low risk, moderately high reward case I think...

Trophy
07-03-2010, 10:09 PM
Given more time, Farmar I think can become an effective PG.

He has the ability to be an ideal PG for us.

Hicks
07-03-2010, 11:34 PM
I'd be pretty damn happy if we signed Farmer AND Felton or Lowry. Word is we want two guys, and if we could get two for about $3mm each (probably not Felton, but maybe the other two), that's a nice haul for our situation IMO.

BornReady
07-03-2010, 11:47 PM
I'd be pretty damn happy if we signed Farmer AND Felton or Lowry. Word is we want two guys, and if we could get two for about $3mm each (probably not Felton, but maybe the other two), that's a nice haul for our situation IMO.

anything written on this? :)

Hicks
07-04-2010, 12:02 AM
anything written on this? :)

Meaning that the Pacers are interested in those names or in getting two PGs? The IndyStar has discussed that.

As for two of those three agreeing to a $3mm deal, that's just me talking.

pizza guy
07-04-2010, 12:22 AM

I've already mentioned in 7 of the other PG threads that I want Farmar here this season, but I wanted to post because I thought this was funny.

No chance in Haiti? The country? Or Hades? Like, hell? I've had a long day and that's just striking me as pretty funny tonight. LoL

--pizza

Trophy
07-04-2010, 01:18 AM

A rotation of Farmar and Lowry would be sweet.

Once healthy, we're gonna need to try and give AJ time.

I have a feeling if we do get Felton, we're gonna wind up overpaying since we're probably going to trade Ford for him (S&T). I can see Bird signing Felton for just this year though to an 8M+ deal and possibly negotiating a lower one in 2011 if we're successful this upcoming season.

Pacers2012
07-04-2010, 02:26 AM
A rotation of Farmar and Lowry would be sweet.

Once healthy, we're gonna need to try and give AJ time.

I have a feeling if we do get Felton, we're gonna wind up overpaying since we're probably going to trade Ford for him (S&T). I can see Bird signing Felton for just this year though to an 8M+ deal and possibly negotiating a lower one in 2011 if we're successful this upcoming season.

I really like the farmar lowry back court. That would be a great dual for the starting spot. I'd like to see those practices.

pacers74
07-04-2010, 06:56 AM
The Mavs have 4 PG's under contract could we trade for Roddy Beaubois or maybe even Jose Juan Barea. I would really like Beaubois. He looked great when he got playing time.

count55
07-04-2010, 07:54 AM
I must admit...I do like the one guy's seasoned salt.

Justin Tyme
07-04-2010, 11:46 AM
The Mavs have 4 PG's under contract could we trade for Roddy Beaubois or maybe even Jose Juan Barea. I would really like Beaubois. He looked great when he got playing time.

Cuban has stated Beaubois isn't going to be traded. Cuban really likes him. My guess Cuban views Beaubois as Kidd's replacement

lil lebowsky
07-04-2010, 12:39 PM
haha I get that we have to be patient, but we can't be THAT patient...going into the season with the same pg rotation minus Watson as last season is...:laugh:

Thank You! I mean why should we want to settle with T.J., who've we've seen for the last 2 years, and a 2nd year player that just blew his knee out, again. Why is it unrealistic for some to think that we can't upgrade the p.g. position? We have plenty of room to orchestrate a trade, and we should NOT wait for the trade deadline or the season to already start. I don't know about the rest of you, but i'm sick of our slow starts to open the season. It would be nice to have our p.g. rotation set and ready to go for the first game of the year.

Go Pacers

lil lebowsky
07-04-2010, 12:45 PM
I've already mentioned in 7 of the other PG threads that I want Farmar here this season, but I wanted to post because I thought this was funny.

No chance in Haiti? The country? Or Hades? Like, hell? I've had a long day and that's just striking me as pretty funny tonight. LoL

--pizza

LOL, yea it should be Hades, but i was just bein stupid. I thought it sounded a lil better then H.E. double hockey sticks.

:laugh: