PDA

View Full Version : Mike Wells discusses Pacers Free Agency on JMV

pwee31
07-02-2010, 06:23 PM
Not much new info. Actually sounds pretty quiet on the Pacers front. Farmar sounds like plan A. Pacers only offering free agents 1 year 3-3.5 million a year and seem to be playing the waiting game.

Here's the link:

http://www.1070thefan.com/jmv/podcast.aspx

Just play the Mike Wells portion

OT: Is there a way to post audio in the thread? I tried figuring it out to make it easier on you guys, but wasn't sure how?

ChristianDudley
07-02-2010, 06:38 PM
Seems like playing the waiting game isn't all that bad right now...see all these other teams mess up terribly by signing players to enormous contracts, and whoever is left that would like to be in a good situation and isn't looking for huge money, we'll take a look at who's left, and pick who we think suits us best. I really hope we keep Price though, and on his end, hopefully he returns to last year's form from his injury.

Gamble1
07-02-2010, 06:59 PM
Seems like playing the waiting game isn't all that bad right now...see all these other teams mess up terribly by signing players to enormous contracts, and whoever is left that would like to be in a good situation and isn't looking for huge money, we'll take a look at who's left, and pick who we think suits us best. I really hope we keep Price though, and on his end, hopefully he returns to last year's form from his injury.
I respectfully disagree. If Farmar is your number one choice then you need to go after him with more than a one year deal.

I am sort of perplexed by offering him only a one year deal. Do we really need more money off the books in 2011 and is another 3.5 mill going to limit us signing a big FA/player in 2011.

Stop being cute Bird and pony up the cash so we fans can enjoy one season this decade.

odeez
07-02-2010, 07:07 PM
I respectfully disagree. If Farmar is your number one choice then you need to go after him with more than a one year deal.

I am sort of perplexed by offering him only a one year deal. Do we really need more money off the books in 2011 and is another 3.5 mill going to limit us signing a big FA/player in 2011.

Stop being cute Bird and pony up the cash so we fans can enjoy one season this decade.

Unless their plan is to go after Tony Parker next year when he is an UFA, or one of the other PG available. I hear ya though!

speakout4
07-02-2010, 07:18 PM
3-3.5 m and stay under the LT? I wonder just whom they know they can move to safely do this.

Tom White
07-02-2010, 07:38 PM
3-3.5 m and stay under the LT? I wonder just whom they know they can move to safely do this.

My guess is they hope to do a sign and trade with LA. I've got my doubts about that happening, though.

Naptown_Seth
07-02-2010, 07:55 PM
Gamble, I can't agree on a long term PG deal right now for a clear backup (at best).

This isn't a team that's going to win 48 games with Farmar, probably not even 44, so why lock that in? We need to accept that the final stages still need to be worked out at multiple spots.

I mean even George and Lance are big time flyers, as in risks. I don't see how you can build with either of them as a set piece at this point, which means you still have wing questions even, despite Granger's presence (and I'm a big Rush fan too).

Right now they've made a choice to wait, or have refused to go forward with deals they'd consider bad or high risk. That's fine (hopefully) but what it means is that you've got to stick to that plan enough to make it pan out.

Switching back to "OMG, we've got to do something NOW!" mode just makes the whole thing a wreck. If you weren't OMG in terms of getting Troy to CLE or making a TJ/Rush deal to CHA work, then you can't go around signing blah PGs to 2-3 year deals (see D Jones).

FREEDOM is Bird's goal, salary freedom. Until he reaches that and does something with the big 3 there's not much point in throwing long term small deals at small roles. Farmar vs guy-off-the-street that will take your 1 with a team option for 2 isn't a make or break.

count55
07-02-2010, 08:48 PM

Why?

I mean...It's Jordan Farmar.

If you get him, great. If not, oh, well. Why lock yourself up for more than one year for a guy who is just as likely to fail as he is to succeed?

More importantly...in what world is getting Jordan Farmar the difference between this being an enjoyable season for the Pacers and not? Hell, it's possible, if not likely, that we're probably still 30-win talent with Farmar.

count55
07-02-2010, 09:20 PM
IIRC...Wells seemed to think that the Lakers were a bigger threat to take back Farmar than the Blazers were - in terms of the Pacers not getting him...that threat seems to be gone with the signing of Blake in LA.

pwee31
07-02-2010, 09:22 PM
I don't think the fuss is over Farmar in general. I think the fuss is we heard all these trade rumors leading up to and during the draft, and it's still looking like we're going into the season with T.J Ford who has been benched 2 seasons in a row, and an injured A.J Price that most are hopeful can recover and make an impact.

I'm actually interested to see how people treat Price coming back from injured, compare to Dunleavy coming back from injury, and what the expectations are

tadscout
07-02-2010, 09:35 PM
I don't think the fuss is over Farmar in general. I think the fuss is we heard all these trade rumors leading up to and during the draft, and it's still looking like we're going into the season with T.J Ford who has been benched 2 seasons in a row, and an injured A.J Price that most are hopeful can recover and make an impact.

I'm actually interested to see how people treat Price coming back from injured, compare to Dunleavy coming back from injury, and what the expectations are

Well people are just forgetting we having expiring contracts we can trade... and the trade market won't really start back up till free agency settles back down and teams can evaluate what they need after free agency...

We can't have everything now now now... offseason has multiple stages, and just b/c we aren't doing anything in this part doesn't mean we still won't later. We just need to be patient.

beast23
07-02-2010, 09:47 PM
Why?

If you get him, great. If not, oh, well. Why lock yourself up for more than one year for a guy who is just as likely to fail as he is to succeed?

More importantly...in what world is getting Jordan Farmar the difference between this being an enjoyable season for the Pacers and not? Hell, it's possible, if not likely, that we're probably still 30-win talent with Farmar.Couldn't agree more with every point you have made. Farmar will not make a difference at all in the W-L column for next season.

Out of all PGs that might be available, Felton is probably the best. But he will cost the full MLE at least, since he made 5.5M last year. So, we are not likely able to bid high enough. Felton might make a difference in wins or losses.

The only other PG I see as worthwhile that we might be able to get would be Collison... I would take a chance on him and not worry about the remaining 2-3 years on his contract. The problem here is that getting him would most certainly be accompanied with a pretty bad contract coming along with him, as well as the Pacers sacrificing their most valuable expiring contract / bargaining chip.

As far as any of the other PGs that are FAs, I would be more willing to just bring Watson back for 1 year, if possible.

pwee31
07-02-2010, 10:01 PM
With the Pacers adding 2 wings in the draft, I think one has to be move, and to get Farmar, I think the Pacers should try to trade the Lakers Dahntay in a sign & trade.

Give them an athletic wing to replace Shannon Brown, and also another defender for when Artest isn't digging in

diamonddave00
07-02-2010, 10:18 PM
Farmar is an unrestricted free agent no compensation to the Lakers is needed.

count55
07-02-2010, 10:23 PM
Farmar is an unrestricted free agent no compensation to the Lakers is needed.

I think the S&T comes up as a way for the Pacers to avoid adding salary. However, I can't really see the Lakers being interested in helping us out that way.

graphic-er
07-02-2010, 10:37 PM
Might as well shoot for the moon and trade for tony parker. With Parker at the helm, we will make the playoffs, it will be easier to sign him to an extension rather than lure him here in FA next year. Especially if he has a good season with us. Also with Parker and Granger, it will A. Be easier to lure a big man next year for our PF. B. be able to draw a great coach like a Jeff Van Gundy, and pulling in a great coach would be the #1 factor in keeping Parker as he certainly wants to be on a team who is building toward being a contender.

This third year in the 3 year plan is so important to the future of the franchise. If we go into next off season with just Granger, and bunch of money and no coach. We will be in a terrible position. Wasted another year of Granger's prime.

And what if we aren't able to sign Parker to an extension? Well we would be in the same boat as we are in now. His money would come off the books, we'd still have a couple of nice expirings.

To get Parker I'd give up anybody but Granger and Hibbert, and I'd need to be able to keep some of the expirings inorder to resign him and sign a decent PF in FA.

NappyRootz
07-02-2010, 11:47 PM

Thats the most interesting part about this. The only obvious candidates are Jones and Rush and Hansbrough and I cant see them trading Tyler. I also cant see anyone else wanting JOnes although I guess compared to what guys like Gooden, Darko, Amir and now Blake have received so far........he may be underpaid.

If it were Foster, Dunleavy , Murphy or Ford I would think we would set our sights a little higher and go for Felton.

Personally Im fine with either Farmar or Lowry for 10-11 season but I dont think either is a long term solution as the starter but both would be excellent backups.

graphic-er
07-03-2010, 12:03 AM
Thats the most interesting part about this. The only obvious candidates are Jones and Rush and Hansbrough and I cant see them trading Tyler. I also cant see anyone else wanting JOnes although I guess compared to what guys like Gooden, Darko, Amir and now Blake have received so far........he may be underpaid.

If it were Foster, Dunleavy , Murphy or Ford I would think we would set our sights a little higher and go for Felton.

Personally Im fine with either Farmar or Lowry for 10-11 season but I dont think either is a long term solution as the starter but both would be excellent backups.

If you gonna trade away one of the valuable expirings then you might as well go after Parker. Sure he might leave next year, but we will have the ability to give him something none of the other teams can in FA. An extension under the current CBA, which means more money.

Gamble1
07-03-2010, 11:09 AM
Why?

More importantly...in what world is getting Jordan Farmar the difference between this being an enjoyable season for the Pacers and not? Hell, it's possible, if not likely, that we're probably still 30-win talent with Farmar.
No one knows if Farmar will make a big impact at all but we are talking about 3.5 million for 2/3 years. This hardly seems like salary that will prohibit us from making a major splash in FA or sign and trades. HOw much do we have coming off the books and YOU ARE WORRIERED ABOUT 3.5 MILLION. Come on guys... I know its easy to overreact to salary given our current situation but this is like complaining over Djones salary. I let you all in on a little secret.... Djones is not the reason why we are in salary cap hell. AND Jordon Farmar will not be the reason why we will remain in salary cap hell.

Just for the record I am not high on Farmar its just that the current pg situation if not addressed adequately "will" cost the pacers wins. If Farmar is the guy that you want to take a risk on then do it. (I respect guys opinoins WHOSE FULL TIME JOB IS EVALUATING TALENT AND IF HE IS THE NUMBER ONE OPTION,,,,,,,TAKE IT.:mad:

I mean come on guys..... How many stupid back up pgs get paid 3.5 million a year? A two year contract with a team option seems pretty easy to get out of, IMO.

Edit: IF the Pacers didn't have Earl Watson last year what do you think our record would have been??

pacers74
07-03-2010, 11:27 AM
Here is a list of guards, not just point guards that will be free agents next year:

Unrestricted
Guards: Tony Parker, TJ Ford, Jamal Crawford, Delonte West, Juan Jose Barea, Keyon Dooling, Sasha Vujacic, Shannon Brown, Ronnie Price, Willie Green, Sebastian Telfair, Marcus Banks.

Restricted
Guards: Rodney Stuckey, Mike Conley, Mario Chalmers, Aaron Brooks, Roko Ukic, Lestor Hudson.

http://nbaroundtable.wordpress.com/2009/12/02/2011-free-agent-list/

Tony Parker and Aaron Brooks are the top teir of the PG's.
I would put Mike Conley and Rodney Stuckey as the next level guys.
Free agency next year pretty much sucks.

Justin Tyme
07-03-2010, 11:49 AM
I would be more willing to just bring Watson back for 1 year, if possible.

Since the Lakers signed Blake, Watson might be inclined to come back for a year or two. He's not the answer, but he's a decent stop gap until the Pacers can get what the PG of the future.

If the Pacers could bring him back, I'd then like to see them sign Livingston or Torrance as well, especially if the Pacers could get Ford moved.

NuffSaid
07-03-2010, 02:28 PM
OT: Is there a way to post audio in the thread?

Where's MagicRat when you need him!?!

Sparhawk
07-03-2010, 03:11 PM
The Pacers just don't seem to get it. Saying they'll only sign a 1 year rental seems like a dumb plan. And if that is the case, just sign Watson to another 1 year contract. He played well last season, so why go after someone else? Can Watson really get more than $3mil/season?

jhondog28
07-03-2010, 04:38 PM
Oh wait we signed Jordan Farmer? Oh man where can I go to buy season tickets!

Can we please put an exciting product on the floor.

pwee31
07-03-2010, 04:50 PM
Oh wait we signed Jordan Farmer? Oh man where can I go to buy season tickets!

Can we please put an exciting product on the floor.

Oh wait, we're going into the season with T.J Ford as our starting PG again. Yippie! Even better is his only backup is injured so there's no way he can lost the starting job now!

jeffg-body
07-03-2010, 05:19 PM
I think we just need to stand pat right now. Pretty soon the top flight free agents will be signed and the teams that are left out of the free agent bonanza will be looking to make some deals. We have a long time before camp so I hope we don't rush and settle for the quick hit of aquiring someone while making out team financial situation worse.

Trophy
07-03-2010, 10:25 PM
If we get the right PG now and stay in or near the playoff picture then we pull off some good trade deadline deals, we might turn out to be like the Bucks and suddenly shoot up in the standings.

eldubious
07-04-2010, 10:35 AM
I'm still in the mindset that the Pacers can still get Maynor or Collison, after that, there really is no need to overpay anybody.

MLB007
07-04-2010, 11:10 AM

Agreed. I like Farmar, and if they Lakers sign Fisher they can't keep Farmar. That simple. But Fisher wants 5 mil and they want him to take a cut, so who knows? Do we want FIsher if he walks?
Price isn't going anywhere. He's got promise and he's cheap.
Problem is he's not going to be ready for the start of the season (from what I've heard) BUT he should be as good as new.

MLB007
07-04-2010, 11:13 AM
If we get the right PG now and stay in or near the playoff picture then we pull off some good trade deadline deals, we might turn out to be like the Bucks and suddenly shoot up in the standings.

There is absolutely that possibility here. And that is one of the reasons that guys like Tyler make a lot of sense. Fill a roll when you can't get a star. We get a decent pg and we'll be competitive this year. With potential for a move or two that could put us in the hunt in a year.

I love the part of the show where they talk about how the agents are frustrated with the Pacers for not pulling the trigger, and then move on the OUTRAGEOUS contracts that have been given out thus far.............:laugh:

Earl Watson remains out there and I would be ok with signing him again for a year. We played very well when he was starting after Danny was finally healthy.

Tyler back. Foster back. Dunleavy back healed fully. George. Maybe Rolle. Get AJ back.

We'll be significantly better.

Farmar would be exciting. (to me)
Still want Collison.................

MLB007
07-04-2010, 11:23 AM
I think we just need to stand pat right now. Pretty soon the top flight free agents will be signed and the teams that are left out of the free agent bonanza will be looking to make some deals. We have a long time before camp so I hope we don't rush and settle for the quick hit of aquiring someone while making out team financial situation worse.

I think the ridiculous contracts that have happened so far proves the Pacers to be VERY prudent in approaching this carefully. Already teams have been badly burned by feeling the pressure to get it done. HOW does Atlanta live with this and add any more pieces?
Things will settle down and players will get anxious to get it done too.
We need to fill the spot for year in the worst case. If we can't get the long term solution then fill it for a year and try again next year when we have the BIG stick of expiring contracts.
WE are in the drivers seat here. in the LONG run.
To give that away for a MAYBE or a short time "fix" would be very shortsighted.
And I give kudo's to the PTB for seeming to recognize that fact. :dance: