PDA

View Full Version : Summer time legends/ myths - which is most popular

ChicagoJ
07-02-2010, 01:06 PM
Multiple choice poll, so select every one of these myths that you actually believe.

And for everyone's amusement, you can also try to rationalize your choices.

Bball
07-02-2010, 01:27 PM
Used to we'd get the "We are surprised and happy to get player X because we had him pegged as a lottery choice"

But now that we are a lottery team that shifts to the 2nd round and we are surprised we got a player in the 2nd round who we thought would be a first round choice this year... and could've been a lottery pick with another year of college.

------
You didn't mention the always entertaining "Everyone is healthy and stronger than ever and working extra hard on their games" story from the Star and/or Pacers.com that we always get in summer.
In fact, Bender got so healthy one year he even grew taller!
------

Unclebuck
07-02-2010, 01:33 PM
wow J those are really specific. Wasn't the direction I thought you were going with this.

OK, let me look at the list again

pacers74
07-02-2010, 01:34 PM
There is alot of choices. Almost to many to know which one to talk about, but Jim O'Brien is sitting in his office right now, tinkering with his gameplan to adapt it to his new players. has to be the funniest one. OB really loves rookies, doesn't he.

SoupIsGood
07-02-2010, 01:34 PM
Are we voting on most popular, or which we believe?

Unclebuck
07-02-2010, 01:35 PM
I voted for only 1, that our vets with expiring contracts have trade value. That is rather vague discription though.

I doubt Jim O'Brien is thinking about changing the offense for any of his new players. I mean we only really have 1 new player and that is George. I never assume a second round draft pick will ever make the roster

SoupIsGood
07-02-2010, 01:38 PM
I only believed one, that the Pacers are ready to give up on Rush. They may keep him around and see how he develops, but I don't think it's because they have any faith in him. Rather, it'd be because they couldn't find a good deal.

I would have voted for this one: George is not a SG right now, and won't start at SG this season, but he can be groomed to eventually be our SG.

Ozwalt72
07-02-2010, 01:42 PM
Write-In: The world would be a better place if we all shared the same opinion as ChicagoJ.

Myths? How the hell are these myths? Half of them are possible based on scenario, and the other half are answers to questions we don't have.

ChicagoJ
07-02-2010, 02:13 PM
Are we voting on most popular, or which we believe?

I had envisioned that people could vote on the ones they believe, and then we could determine which is most popular (thus, allowing multiple votes and write-ins.)

But I don't care. Do it either way. Or don't vote at all.

Its meant to be a light-hearted look at the way a basketball forum turns goofy in the slow summer time - moving players that have never played an NBA game the new positions, dreaming that someone will actually take one our overpaid, not very good veterans off our hands, overvaluing our own draft picks, the usual stuff that we can poke fun of every offseason.

ChicagoJ
07-02-2010, 02:14 PM
Write-In: The world would be a better place if we all shared the same opinion as ChicagoJ.

Go ahead. I'd vote for that one! :D

pwee31
07-02-2010, 02:18 PM
It depends on what your opinion of fix is for PG

ChicagoJ
07-02-2010, 02:23 PM
It depends on what your opinion of fix is for PG

Good point. That one's vague.

I'll add a couple of alternatives.

I also fixed the missing "write in" link/ button. My bad. :dunce:

pizza guy
07-02-2010, 02:24 PM
I voted for "George is a shooting guard," "George will start at SG this season," and "Our expiring contracts have value." I don't believe P.G will be ready at the start of the season, but I do believe that he'll be able to start at SG later in the season IF he can get playing time. The expiring contracts will have value, especially at the deadline. They always do, no matter who the player is attached to them. I'd like to believe that Ford and Murph will be gone before the season starts, and those two will net us a solution at the 1, but I'll believe it when I see it. I think it's more likely that they stay around until the deadline.

I'd also like to write-in, "O'Brien will be fired mid-season." If we can't move Murph especially, he'll continue to lean on him and we will continue to suck, so he'll lean on him more and I'd like to think that Bird wants our young guys getting that playing time. Or, if we get a legit player at the 1, and Obie continues to coach like he does, maybe Bird will see that the "system" is a failure and the coach needs changed.

--pizza

pacers74
07-02-2010, 02:27 PM
I voted on the ones that I thought were "myths".

BRushWithDeath
07-02-2010, 02:37 PM
Stephenson making the roster and getting a new short term starting PG are the only ones that I'm fairly certain of.

Bball
07-02-2010, 02:38 PM
I voted for only 1, that our vets with expiring contracts have trade value. That is rather vague discription though.

I doubt Jim O'Brien is thinking about changing the offense for any of his new players. I mean we only really have 1 new player and that is George. I never assume a second round draft pick will ever make the roster

But this 2nd round pick could've been a first round pick and surprised the Pacers that he was still available in the 2nd round. In fact, had he stayed in school he was likely a lottery selection next year.

So we got two lottery picks this season! Take that all you "tankers"!!

maragin
07-02-2010, 02:41 PM
Putting the word myth or legend in the title when referring to possible scenarios has the connotation that these scenarios are for the ignorant and uninformed. I prefer something along the lines of "what theories do you subscribe to/believe".

It's semantics, and some of you might roll your eyes, but that's how position pieces, politics, and propaganda work.

Stepping down from that ridiculously high horse, my additions to the list are:

Coaches lose a team after 3 years.
We can convince free agents to come to Indianapolis based on the city's merit.
We need to rebuild the team to exactly resemble the 2000 Finals team.
We should start tanking now to get player X in next year's draft.
The Pacers will never be sold and moved to another city.
Some bench player would turn their career around with us just like J O'Neal.
Jarret Jack was the answer at Point Guard.

ChicagoJ
07-02-2010, 02:50 PM
Putting the word myth or legend in the title when referring to possible scenarios has the connotation that these scenarios are for the ignorant and uninformed. I prefer something along the lines of "what theories do you subscribe to/believe".

Understood.

But some of the stuff (like the draft picks successfully learning a new position before they master their natural positions) seems to be coming straight from the Pacers' PR machine. So I chose not to use neutral language.

(Frankly, I think its a mis-direction PR move because the BPA at both spots were wing players and we're probably deepest at the wing. Since its clear the draft didn't address any immediate needs, and there are still gaping holes at PF and PG so they are making it appear that the players also fill a need when they don't. I'm not disputing that they took the BPA at both spots...)

Brad8888
07-02-2010, 03:17 PM
The only one that is even a wild possibility is "George will be starting at shooting guard this season", and that would only happen if Brandon goes cold enough early that O'B's level of disgust for playing Brandon is higher than his level of disgust for giving a rookie any playing time outside of the very end of garbage time. Yes, I know that "George is ready to play in the NBA" should be a given in that scenario, but I really don't think O'B pays even a little attention to that in his planning for rookies.

Otherwise, you definitely isolated many different summertime myths that did almost make me chortle and guffaw, both out loud and heartily, but I restrained myself as a good Darksider should.

pwee31
07-02-2010, 03:31 PM
I voted for the ones I thought were myths aka the ones I don't think are true

Kemo
07-02-2010, 03:56 PM
lol damn , i voted just the opposite.. i voted of ones that were most likely to be myths /legends lmao

ah well

ChicagoJ
07-02-2010, 04:35 PM
Somehow, all of Thingfish's votes don't show up in the totals!?!? But we can see what he/she?/it? (thing? fish?) voted for. Strange.

Coop
07-02-2010, 05:36 PM
I voted for the ones I thought were myths aka the ones I don't think are true

lol damn , i voted just the opposite.. i voted of ones that were most likely to be myths /legends lmao

ah well

Ditto. Now I feel stupid for voting that O'Brien would be getting a contract extension.