PDA

View Full Version : Pacers staying patient

pwee31
07-01-2010, 09:10 PM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=16668

Staying Patient: The Indiana Pacers won't be splashy free agent players, you can classify them as value shoppers.

The Pacers tried aggressively during the 2010 NBA Draft to move their #10 draft pick and guard TJ Ford to make some improvements, and dealing Ford or even Troy Murphy is still an option as long as it improves the team.

Pacers' president Larry Bird says his roster of ending contracts is more attractive today than it was two weeks ago, and as free agency moves on he expects that he can find even more value than he could today.

"The teams under the salary cap are waiting to see what happens with players like LeBron and Wade and where they're going," Bird said to Mike Wells of the Indianapolis Star. "After that, things will open up and things will progress for other teams. We're going to take our time and not rush into anything."

"We've got these expiring contracts and there are teams that want them," Bird said. "They may not have wanted them during the draft, but as the offseason and season goes on, they start looking at their team and they're going to see the opportunity to do a deal. We're in a good position now."

The Pacers have about $5 million in breathing room under the pending $68 million Luxury Tax line and have made initial contact with a number of free agent point guards including Milwaukee's Luke Ridnour and the Lakers' Jordan Farmar.

The Pacers do not plan to be early shoppers, hoping that as some of the major players fall off the free agency board that some of their assets become more attractive in trade and they can improve that way, rather than adding more expense to the payroll.

The Pacers have just $23 million committed to five players after this season, and have the $11.9 million ending contract of Troy Murphy, the $10.5 million ending contract of Mike Dunleavy Jr., the $8.5 million ending deal of TJ Ford and the $6.6 million ending deal of Jeff Foster to shop for improvements.

ChristianDudley
07-01-2010, 09:12 PM
sounds good to me! and I thought Ridnour's pricetag was too high for us...hmm...

odeez
07-01-2010, 09:17 PM
Staying Patient is the key here!

Brad8888
07-01-2010, 09:49 PM
Ridnour would be nice to have. He fits for now, and yet still is a good quality intelligent pg who could be effective in a more fundamentally sound offense. Go for it, Larry!

pizza guy
07-01-2010, 09:52 PM
I'm glad the FO isn't rushing into the first deal they can and getting screwed.

But, hurry up! I want to see something come of all this talk!

--pizza

BornReady
07-01-2010, 09:52 PM
what if Indy is too patient and ends up with nothing? :/

pizza guy
07-01-2010, 09:54 PM
Then, next year, we have a crap load of cap room

to resign Murphy and Ford... /green

--pizza

Dr. Goldfoot
07-01-2010, 09:57 PM
How is this any different than the trading deadline last year? Isn't this the same idea they were floating around then?

tadscout
07-01-2010, 09:58 PM

I rather do nothing than something stupid...

I mean look what Toronto gave Amir Johnson 5 yr / 34 mil... :laugh:

The pre-season just started can't expect us to do anything till things settle down... and best utilize our assets.

Trophy
07-01-2010, 10:01 PM
Ridnour would be nice to have. He fits for now, and yet still is a good quality intelligent pg who could be effective in a more fundamentally sound offense. Go for it, Larry!

I like him too. He made a good reserve for the Bucks.

He played in all 82 games and didn't start in any so would be ready to come here and be our full time PG?

cdash
07-01-2010, 10:02 PM
Then, next year, we have a crap load of cap room

to resign Murphy and Ford... /green

--pizza

Watching all these insane contracts being handed out this offseason, I'm not sure I'd want cap room. It just seems like an invitation to do something stupid.

CableKC
07-01-2010, 10:02 PM
I'm perfectly cool with that. It means that we let the Big4 Expire and we will have finally achieved SalaryCap/Flexiblity with a young roster with enough resources to rebuild the team properly.

CableKC
07-01-2010, 10:03 PM
Watching all these insane contracts being handed out this offseason, I'm not sure I'd want cap room. It just seems like an invitation to do something stupid.
Maybe the new CBA Negotiations next season will help level the playing field. :shrug:

OakMoses
07-01-2010, 10:07 PM
Luke Ridnour does not excite me in any way. He does not make us a playoff team, and he's not going to be a long-term PG solution. I'd much rather have Farmar or Livingston. At least I can be excited until I watch them play 25 games and then realize they're not the answer. I don't even need to watch Ridnour to know that.

Also, where are they getting their salary info.? Count55 tells me that we're actually close to $1 million over the luxury tax line once we sign all our rookies. I trust him more than Hoopsworld.

Trophy
07-01-2010, 10:11 PM
Luke Ridnour does not excite me in any way. He does not make us a playoff team, and he's not going to be a long-term PG solution. I'd much rather have Farmar or Livingston. At least I can be excited until I watch them play 25 games and then realize they're not the answer. I don't even need to watch Ridnour to know that.

Also, where are they getting their salary info.? Count55 tells me that we're actually close to $1 million over the luxury tax line once we sign all our rookies. I trust him more than Hoopsworld.

The issue with Ridnour is that he's not a starter or the answer to any teams PG troubles. He makes a decent reserve.

I would like to sign Blake or Farmar. I think either of them would fit in with this system and the players well.

CableKC
07-01-2010, 10:13 PM

IMHO....we don't really have any long-term PG options right now....but yet more Short-term/Stop-Gap PG solutions in a long line of PGs like Watson and Jack ( to a certain degree ) and continue our search for a long-term PG.

If we decide to go with Farmar, Blake, Ridnour, whoever...I hope that we don't sign them to very long-term contracts. I can live with them as Short-Term/Stop-Gap PG solutions...but if we sign them to long term contracts...I'll be disappointed.

tadscout
07-01-2010, 10:23 PM
Everyone clamoring for Blake just be forewarned that the Lakers, Heat, Knicks, among others are interested in him...

tadscout
07-01-2010, 10:26 PM
IMHO....we don't really have any long-term PG options right now....but yet more Short-term/Stop-Gap PG solutions in a long line of PGs like Watson and Jack ( to a certain degree ) and continue our search for a long-term PG.

If we decide to go with Farmar, Blake, Ridnour, whoever...I hope that we don't sign them to very long-term contracts. I can live with them as Short-Term/Stop-Gap PG solutions...but if we sign them to long term contracts...I'll be disappointed.

I think I saw Wells say somewhere we were only talking to Farmar for a 1 yr deal... I think Bird and Morway only see 1 year short gaps via the FA route... and won't hurt our capspace offering any more.

count55
07-01-2010, 10:28 PM

Well - the really stupid contracts are being handed out by teams that didn't really have cap room - or need it - because they're re-signing their own players. Atlanta, Memphis, Minnesota, Toronto all overpaid their own guys.

It's actually down to about $0.5mm if the Star's report of George's contract is correct. They signed him for the scale, not the typical max scale (120%).

Also, I completely disagree with your first paragraph, except for maybe the playoff part.

pwee31
07-01-2010, 10:31 PM
I think in deal will be one or two years max.

Didn't I read somewhere that the Farmar discussion was with a 1 year deal?

pwee31
07-01-2010, 10:39 PM
Ridnour is a lot better then people give him credit for. His defense may struggle at times, but he can run a team and make shots. A nice passer as well. I think someone may overpay for him though.

I wouldn't mind him at a reasonable price. He'll likely get you 10-14 points and 5-8 assist at PG

Unclebuck
07-01-2010, 10:40 PM

I agree with you 100%

OakMoses
07-01-2010, 10:50 PM
It's actually down to about $0.5mm if the Star's report of George's contract is correct. They signed him for the scale, not the typical max scale (120%).

Also, I completely disagree with your first paragraph, except for maybe the playoff part.

You forgot to mention the Gooden contract with Milwaukee. That's as bad of a contract as we're likely to see this summer.

What do you disagree with about my first paragraph? Are you saying you'd be excited to watch Ridnour? Or are you saying you wouldn't be excited to watch Farmar or Livingston? I don't get it.

Psyren
07-01-2010, 10:50 PM
Luke Ridnour, at the right price, is an excellent player. He's not flashy, he's not an all star, but he's a smart player who can score when you need him to, and is a great passer. I don't want to overpay him, but at the right deal, i'm more than open to it.

OakMoses
07-01-2010, 10:54 PM
Ridnour's defense is worse than Ford's.

Gamble1
07-01-2010, 11:00 PM
Ya I have never understood why people like Luke. I am just pissed that we have to wait another year for a really good player to be added to the team.

cdash
07-02-2010, 12:18 AM
Well - the really stupid contracts are being handed out by teams that didn't really have cap room - or need it - because they're re-signing their own players. Atlanta, Memphis, Minnesota, Toronto all overpaid their own guys.

Yeah, and the baffling Drew Gooden signing.

I actually think a more appropriate comparison would be last year's Pistons free agent bonanza.

cdash
07-02-2010, 12:19 AM
Question: Wouldn't adding Luke Ridnour be exactly like the Earl Watson signing last year? More of a stopgap who does similar things on the court.

BornReady
07-02-2010, 01:27 AM
Question: Wouldn't adding Luke Ridnour be exactly like the Earl Watson signing last year? More of a stopgap who does similar things on the court.

thats honestly how I feel about both Ridnour and Blake

CableKC
07-02-2010, 09:29 AM
I think I saw Wells say somewhere we were only talking to Farmar for a 1 yr deal... I think Bird and Morway only see 1 year short gaps via the FA route... and won't hurt our capspace offering any more.
I'd think that Farmar would garner some more interest from other teams that would be better then a 1 year deal from the Pacers. The only thing that we can offer would be a Starting position....assuming that Ford is gone.

IMHO....if we are to go with a short-term / stop-Gap PG....I'd prefer ( in this order ):

Blake
Ridnour
Farmar

I know that many aren't excited about Ridnour....and he appears to be a much better Backup PG then a Starting one....but if there is one thing that he has shown is that he's a classic "Pass first PG that is efficient on the scoring and Turnover end". He doesn't turn the ball over that much and is able to dish the ball effectively. If anything, I think that he's a "poor man's" version of Blake...or a "rich man's" version of Diener. My first choice is Blake....but as tadscout mentioned...it looks like Blake is going to go to the highest bidder looking for a very solid, effective, no-nonsense, smart, low-mistake type of backup PG.

Since I am relegated to accepting that we will likely get a PG that IMHO is a "short-term / Stop-gap" PG solution...I don't mind Farmar...I just prefer Blake or Ridnour...as I know what I will likely get from them. With Farmar, due to being his career consisting of ( essentially ) backing up Derek Fisher, essentially playing the "stand in the corner and wait for Kobe to kick it out to you" role on the Lakers and playing in the Triangle Offense....it's difficult to say how he will do outside of that environment.

pizza guy
07-02-2010, 09:35 AM

I'd like to see Farmar signed to a 1-year guaranteed and 2nd-year team option contract. He's got to prove that he can be a successful starter, but I don't want him to come in and do really well, then walk away. A team option would let us cut him if he flops or we find a better solution, or we bring him back and work on an extension over the 2nd season.

--pizza

nerveghost
07-02-2010, 09:41 AM
Prediction:

No deal is done this offseason, or during the season.

Contracts expire, Pacers have fat wallets.

No. 1 - O'Brien is replaced by "name" coach to attract free agents

No. 2 - sign 1 all star or 2 very solid starters with $$$

CableKC
07-02-2010, 09:45 AM
Prediction:

No deal is done this offseason, or during the season.

Contracts expire, Pacers have fat wallets.

No. 1 - O'Brien is replaced by "name" coach to attract free agents

No. 2 - sign 1 all star or 2 very solid starters with $$$
I can hope so....but Byron Scott ( the Coach on my list that I wanted to get ) is off the Market :banghead: and I have a feeling that we will probably make at least one trade with one of our Big 4 for some long-term contracts. I just hope that we wait for the right deal while letting the majority of the Big Contracts expire.

pacers74
07-02-2010, 09:47 AM
Luke Ridnour never really impressed me, but his numbers are pretty comparable and even a little better than Steve Blakes. I would rather give Farmar a try out. I like the idea of a one year deal with a team option for the second year. It heard on the radio this morning that the Laker might look to add a Mike Miller type player, so it looks like Farmar will diffently be on the open market.
I think that Ridnour or Blake will probably still be on the open market in a few weeks, maybe even into August. This give us plenty of time to try to get a better upgrade at the point guard spot.
I guess what I am saying is that if we have nothing come August after the free agent frenzy is over, than I will be okay with signing Ridnour or Blake.

pacers74
07-02-2010, 09:56 AM
I take back what I posted about Blake. Looks like we might be out bid for Blake.

http://www.realgm.com/images/nba/4.2/profiles/photos/2006/Blake_Steve_por.jpg Free agent guard Steve Blake is drawing strong interest from the Magic, Knicks and Raptors, according to Chris Tomasson of FanHouse.
The Lakers and Bobcats are also in the mix to sign Blake, who could fetch a deal around $5 million annually in a weak market for point guards.
Via FanHouse (http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/67735/20100702/magic_knicks_raptors_courting_blake/#)

Read more: http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/67735/20100702/magic_knicks_raptors_courting_blake/#ixzz0sX7eJFCl

Sparhawk
07-02-2010, 11:45 AM

Then hopefully we get a high pick next year and land a star PG through the draft.

All I care about is the development of our young guys right now, cause even if we get an upgrade at PG, we still aren't going anywhere. It may have to wait a year till JOB is gone, but as long as Hibbert, Hans, Lance and Paul get playing time and make the most of it, then I'll be happy.

CableKC
07-02-2010, 12:17 PM
[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
I take back what I posted about Blake. Looks like we might be out bid for Blake.
Not surprised......but seems a little too much. It seems that everyone is overpaying Free Agents. You have to wonder how much Farmar is going to command.

pacers74
07-02-2010, 12:20 PM
Farmar should get more than Blake. But who knows, maybe GM's want a proven starter over potential.

pwee31
07-02-2010, 12:39 PM
I think the Lakers qualifying offer to Farmar was like 3 mil for a year, so my guess is he'll be wanting more then that.

My guess is he'll fetch 4-5 million a year from someone. We'll likely offer less and he'll turn it down

Justin Tyme
07-02-2010, 12:45 PM
I mean look what Toronto gave Amir Johnson 5 yr / 34 mil... :laugh:

Why on earth give Amir that type money? He's nowhere near as good as Darco or Warrick, and they got 2-2.5 mil less. That's overpaying!

OakMoses
07-02-2010, 12:45 PM
I think the Lakers qualifying offer to Farmar was like 3 mil for a year, so my guess is he'll be wanting more then that.

My guess is he'll fetch 4-5 million a year from someone. We'll likely offer less and he'll turn it down

I don't think he'll get that. If he's lucky, he's the #3 PG free agent behind Felton and Blake.

Also, like UB says, there's really only 2 starting PG jobs available: Indy and New York.

It all depends on what he really wants, and it sounds like what he really wants is to start. I could very easily see him taking a short term deal to start in Indy thinking he'll cash in a year or two from now if he plays well. When you combine this with the reports that he has a very high opinion of himself, it makes sense.

sportfireman
07-02-2010, 12:47 PM
I highly doubt we're gonna sign a PG........we will more than likely land one in a trade using one of our expiring or Rush to get our PG.

We CAN'T go into this season with TJ as our only healthy and starting PG. I like TJ he's just not a pure point....he's a J.Terry scoring type pg hybrid. We need a defensive minded, pass first pg.

CableKC
07-02-2010, 12:49 PM

I think 4 mil is okay...anything more and we ( like everyone else ) is overpaying. We are not ( and should not be ) in a position to overpay for talent.

At this rate, I'm going to guess that Felton is going to ask for something starting at $9 mil. At the rate that the FA Market is going....I can see the Knicks overpay him at $10+ mil :rolleyes:

OakMoses
07-02-2010, 12:57 PM
I think 4 mil is okay...anything more and we ( like everyone else ) is overpaying. We are not ( and should not be ) in a position to overpay for talent.

At this rate, I'm going to guess that Felton is going to ask for something starting at $9 mil. At the rate that the FA Market is going....I can see the Knicks overpay him at $10+ mil :rolleyes:

http://twitter.com/TrueHoop

All this NBA overspending? That money's going to tighten in time. Some late-signing, 2nd-tier free agents will take hits.

I think this is what the Pacers, and a few other teams with no cap space, are hoping for.

count55
07-02-2010, 01:02 PM

To clarify, in order to keep their right of first refusal, the Lakers would have needed to tender a one-year contract worth just about $2.8mm to Farmar.

They did not extend that offer. They didn't make any offer at all, and under the rules of the CBA, Farmar became an unrestricted FA.

This is an important distinction, because Farmar did not turn down a $2.8mm offer. He, in fact, has (or had) no offers at all. Therefore, you cannot infer anything from the size of the required qualifying offer (that never materialized) other than the fact that the Lakers are not overly concerned about losing Farmar.

I'm sure Farmar wants more than $3 million, but what matters is what kind of offers he will be able to get. At this point, there are none.

Trophy
07-02-2010, 01:03 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors

Jordan Farmar is an unrestricted free agent and according to Dave McMenamin of ESPNLosAngeles.com, the point guard is drawing interest from the Indiana Pacers and Portland Trail Blazers.

Indiana was thought to be the front-runner, but Farmar communicated via a text message: "Portland is right there too."

Gamble1
07-02-2010, 01:34 PM
To clarify, in order to keep their right of first refusal, the Lakers would have needed to tender a one-year contract worth just about $2.8mm to Farmar.

They did not extend that offer. They didn't make any offer at all, and under the rules of the CBA, Farmar became an unrestricted FA.

This is an important distinction, because Farmar did not turn down a $2.8mm offer. He, in fact, has (or had) no offers at all. Therefore, you cannot infer anything from the size of the required qualifying offer (that never materialized) other than the fact that the Lakers are not overly concerned about losing Farmar.

I'm sure Farmar wants more than $3 million, but what matters is what kind of offers he will be able to get. At this point, there are none.
I can look it up if you want but Farmar asked them not to make a offer as a favor to him. So in that case he did turn down 2.8mm dollars to become a UFA. Why did he do that? Well he wanted to be a starter and he didn't want any teams scared away because he was a restricted FA.

I think he is fine with taking less money but I really doubt he will take a one year contract from us. Personally I think Bird needs jump on this opportunity if there is no other pg that we can get.

Its hard for me to understand why Portland wants him. Aren't they loaded with pgs?

pacers74
07-02-2010, 01:37 PM
With the deals Blake is looking at, Farmar might be in for a good payday. Maybe Portland can pay him more than us.
On a side note Portland signs Farmar can we trade them for Bayless? I like him mor than Farmar anyway.

OakMoses
07-02-2010, 01:39 PM
Its hard for me to understand why Portland wants him. Aren't they loaded with pgs?

It tells you how they feel about Miller and Bayless, eh?

Farmar going to the Blazers would be about the dumbest thing he could do. He complains about not liking the pace of the game, not starting, and the ball being taken out of his hands all the time due to the triangle offense, then he goes to a team that plays a slow pace, has a better PG than him on the roster, and runs their offense through their SG just like the Lakers.

pwee31
07-02-2010, 01:44 PM
I should have clarified myself. I wasn't meaning he turned down a qualifying offer, b/c as Count stated, the Lakers didn't offer anything. However I'm under the impression that Farmar and his agent asked the Lakers not to make a qualifying offer so he could be an unrestricted FA.

Would Farmar accept 3 years and 9-11 million w/ a team option the 3rd year? That really would give the Pacers next year, and the year after to gauge Farmar. He could also be a solid backup if we land a better PG through trade or free agency next year, or be a starter/mentor if we land a PG in next year's draft?

I would if a team strikes out in free agency it they'll use their cap space and just eat one of our expiring contracts for a year?

pwee31
07-02-2010, 01:55 PM
Yeah I don't understand Farmar thinking about the Blazers? Backing up Andre Miller, with Bayless in the mix? Not to mention Elliot Williams and Armon Johnson who they took in the draft?

Throw in the fact that Brandon Roy needs the ball in his hands to be successful. If you're going to be a backup fighting for minutes, you might as well be on a championship team. Portland would make no sense

Justin Tyme
07-02-2010, 01:57 PM
However I'm under the impression that Farmar and his agent asked the Lakers not to make a qualifying offer so he could be an unrestricted FA.

That's my understanding as well. It leads me to believe the Lakers aren't interested in him for the future. Must be a reason since the Lakers are short on PG's at the present, and Farmar is familiar with the Lakers system.

Justin Tyme
07-02-2010, 02:03 PM
Yeah I don't understand Farmar thinking about the Blazers? Backing up Andre Miller, with Bayless in the mix? Not to mention Elliot Williams and Armon Johnson who they took in the draft?

Throw in the fact that Brandon Roy needs the ball in his hands to be successful. If you're going to be a backup fighting for minutes, you might as well be on a championship team. Portland would make no sense

Unless Portland is going to trade Bayless or Miller. I could see them trading Bayless. I wonder if they would be interested in Rush? :D

pwee31
07-02-2010, 02:06 PM
Who's even running Portland right now? With Pritchard gone maybe someone can pull a fast one on them

pizza guy
07-02-2010, 02:10 PM
That's my understanding as well. It leads me to believe the Lakers aren't interested in him for the future. Must be a reason since the Lakers are short on PG's at the present, and Farmar is familiar with the Lakers system.

Not sure how you get that LA isn't interested in him, since it was Farmar who basically told LA he didn't want to come back. LA isn't going to get rid of Fisher for obvious reasons, so Farmar wants his chance to start. He's already got some experience and wants to start before he gets "too old."

LA probably would have offered him a deal to stay, but he doesn't want it. It leads me to believe he wants to be someone's PG of the future and knows that it won't happen in LA because of Fish.

--pizza

Justin Tyme
07-02-2010, 02:59 PM
Not sure how you get that LA isn't interested in him, since it was Farmar who basically told LA he didn't want to come back. LA isn't going to get rid of Fisher for obvious reasons, so Farmar wants his chance to start. He's already got some experience and wants to start before he gets "too old."

LA probably would have offered him a deal to stay, but he doesn't want it. It leads me to believe he wants to be someone's PG of the future and knows that it won't happen in LA because of Fish.

--pizza

If the Lakers had really been interested in wanting him back, they would have picked up the qualifying offer and made him a RFA. As a RFA they could match any offer, if they truly wanted him, and Farmar could have still gotten offers from other teams. Teams don't give in to a player/agent demands just b/c they want something. This says to me the Lakers weren't interested in Farmar, and gave him what he wanted. Plus if the Lakers picked up the QO it tied up money. Just easier to let him go when he didn't fit into their future plans. Both got what they wanted... Farmar a UFA, and the Lakers getting rid of someone they didn't want. If the Lakers had indeed wanted him after investing years in him, they would have picked up his QO. They didn't b/c they didn't want him.

As an astute business', the Lakers allowed it to look like they bent over backwards to help an employee when in fact the bottom line was they were helping themselves. It's a perception that makes the Lakers look like a good employer to play for to other players and their agents.

count55
07-02-2010, 08:08 PM
You forgot to mention the Gooden contract with Milwaukee. That's as bad of a contract as we're likely to see this summer.

Meh...that's basically the MLE. I think both Gay and Johnson are worse decisions and worse contracts.

Also, MLE deals can be signed whether the team has huge cap space or not.

What do you disagree with about my first paragraph? Are you saying you'd be excited to watch Ridnour? Or are you saying you wouldn't be excited to watch Farmar or Livingston? I don't get it.

Here's the original paragraph:

Luke Ridnour does not excite me in any way. He does not make us a playoff team, and he's not going to be a long-term PG solution.

OK...I don't really disagree with this, per se...at least not strongly.

Ridnour doesn't particularly excite me. He is not a guy I see starting at the point for the next half decade. His presence doesn't make us a playoff team.

I'd much rather have Farmar or Livingston. At least I can be excited until I watch them play 25 games and then realize they're not the answer. I don't even need to watch Ridnour to know that.

However, I think Ridnour is a good solid point guard, and I think he would be a guy that - for the right (and I mean cheap) price - could make this team better in the short term and help some of our young guys. I firmly believe that a stable presence at the point is very important to the way the team plays.

I cannot argue against the fact that difference between winning 36 to 38 games and winning 30 to 32 games is of little consequence in the grand scheme of things. However, I can argue that difference in the quality and consistency of play does have a significant effect.

I think Earl Watson was the best thing to happen to Roy Hibbert this season, and I think that Roy would be significantly further along had a stable, but unexciting presence like Watson been the PG all season long. I think that perhaps no player will be harmed more than Roy Hibbert if we spend next season trying to jump start Ford or have more erratic play at the point.

I think this will also hurt Rush, George, McRoberts, and, potentially Price. Therefore, given the right set of prerequisites (amt of $, short contract), I think Ridnour would be a very sensible choice for the Pacers at this point.

What I would love to do is to bring in a guy like Ridnour (for one year if possible), but also bring in Livingston to see what he can do. (I do not expect Price to be back early this year, and I expect him not to be back up to full speed for a year.)

Or bring in both Farmar and Livingston, but I don't think either by himself will accomplish much.

The net/net of this is that we have lots of other positions that we need to sort out, I don't really think we're going to find "the answer" at the point this year (and maybe never), and I'd be more comfortable with solid/stable there just so that we could push guys like Hibbert/Rush/George/Hansbrough and perhaps McBob forward.