PDA

View Full Version : does anyone think this season will be different and why

speakout4
07-01-2010, 08:05 PM
I am not expecting or thinking much will be different and will not be disappointed if there are few changes.

IMO the following 2011 season should dramatically change things.

JOB will no doubt be gone after his contract has expired.

Murphy and the other expirings will for the most part be gone. The only holdover I can imagine is Dun who may stay on at a very reduced salary. Murphy will be traded, TJ will be traded or bought out, Foster will likely retire, and Tinsley will be off the books. So whatever happens big changes are looming in personnel.

Hopefully, Tyler and George can establish themselves as players to keep, Mcrob will either be a keeper or let go, and whatever happens to Solo and Dahntay doesn't really matter.

Therefore, another season not making the playoffs if it leads to another good draft pick, free agency signings, and teams needing relief from the LT looks pretty good to me.

If after all that we are not improving then all is lost for this team.

Return to Glory
07-01-2010, 08:11 PM
I am not expecting or thinking much will be different and will not be disappointed if there are few changes.

IMO the following 2011 season should dramatically change things.

JOB will no doubt be gone after his contract has expired.

Murphy and the other expirings will for the most part be gone. The only holdover I can imagine is Dun who may stay on at a very reduced salary. Murphy will be traded, TJ will be traded or bought out, Foster will likely retire, and Tinsley will be off the books. So whatever happens big changes are looming in personnel.

Hopefully, Tyler and George can establish themselves as players to keep, Mcrob will either be a keeper or let go, and whatever happens to Solo and Dahntay doesn't really matter.

Therefore, another season not making the playoffs if it leads to another good draft pick, free agency signings, and teams needing relief from the LT looks pretty good to me.

If after all that we are not improving then all is lost for this team.

100% Agree, Just JOB being gone will make things better.

joew8302
07-01-2010, 08:24 PM
I HOPE this season will be different, but I don't think so, here is why:

1. No serious PG. Sure we could get a Farmar or Livingston, but is this really any type of solution? No. At best these are Jarret Jack, Sarunas, Earl Watson and Anthony Johnson types. Of course I would rather suffer through another brutal season than way overpay for something, but still, even with one of these guys we will be incredibly weak here.

2. Danny Granger, Troy Murphy, TJ Ford- for different reasons I wouldn't expect to get drastically better seasons out of these guys. Murph and Granger have really peaked as players and TJ is in the doghouse. Right there is rough half the teams salary who are all likely not going to be much more productive.

3. Paul George- I like the pick, and he is an interesting prospect for the future, but to expect big things from him this year is pretty unrealistic.

So in essence you would need vast improvement from Hibbbert, Dunleavy, Rush, and Hansbrough for big improvement. More significant contributions from Hansbrough is to be expected, and hopefully Hibbert and Rush will continue to grow, but it probably won't be at a breakneck pace that lets the team fly off. And Dunleavy, who the heck knows? it can't be much worse than last season, can it?

Bball
07-01-2010, 08:30 PM
The worst season in a long time awaits us. Potential worst season ever territory.

Unless we totally shakeup the team with some major trade then we'll be entering the season with a roster that IMHO cannot possibly give their all for another month of Jim O'Brien basketball, let alone another season.
We're going to be an uninspired team just going through the motions playing an already losing brand of basketball. Conseco crowds will follow suit.

If we stick with O'Brien the entire season then as dreadful as the season will be, we'll again make our season-ending run picking off teams who either under-estimate us, are already mailing it in, or the game is meaningless to them and they will play like it. But as bad as we'll be for the majority of the season, we'll not be able to hurt our lottery position as much as in the past.

OTOH, if we make a coaching change mid season we might get a few energy wins off the bat. Whether they could can sustain that (or any kind of consistency) with a new midseason coach without a training camp remains to be seen. It's doubtful IMO... especially if it's one of the new guys assuming HC duties.

I'll be shocked if we win 30 games if O'Brien finishes the season. I think heading into the stretch run we're going to be wondering if we can even win 25.

-Bball "Darksider Hall of Fame" member

Brad8888
07-01-2010, 08:35 PM
Yes. Jim O'Brien is very aware of the strengths and weaknesses of a given roster and will make whatever changes required to maximize the talents of the vets, as well as keeping in mind the need for young players to receive ample playing time during the rebuilding process, and will even be willing to alter strategy during the course of games if the initial strategy is yielding poor results.

I believe that there will be more of an emphasis on a passing game, and that defensive effort will be much improved. I also doubt that we will rely nearly as much on 3's, especially if we are not shooting them well because of the potential of opponents getting out on fast breaks due to our missing them and having little ability to get offensive rebounds.

Also, I believe that O'B will come right out and issue a public apology for his past coaching since he came here and, in a convincing fashion, swear that he will do better, because the fans deserve better than he has delivered.

No, I don't think much will change until O'B is out and a new coach has time to come in and unteach (?) our players and then get them to play fundamental basketball.

-Brad8888, "Darksider" Member in Good Standing Who Still Wonders Where the Cookies Are.

Psyren
07-01-2010, 08:40 PM
No, I don't expect much to differ from last season. But I do expect 2011-2012 to be the real start of something.

- We'll likely have another lottery pick, which again will be a big step towards the future.

- We'll have significant cap space to sign (hopefully) 3 good free agents. That may vary, but I'll go on that assumption.

- Jim O'Brien will (again, hopefully) be gone.

I'm still excited about this season, and watching Roy continue to develop, and see how Paul George and Lance Stephenson progress.

And I have every reason to believe, as of right now, 2011-2012 will be a big season for us.

pizza guy
07-01-2010, 08:43 PM
yep, we"ll easily win 55-60 games because Psycho T will be so good, he'll be the only one allowed at the All-Star game, and George will be Rookie of the Year in a landslide. Hibbert will be Most Improved, and Granger will probably win MVP.

and then I'll wake up.

Unfortunately, with Obie at the helm and Murphy still on the team, I don't see much difference from last season. I'd like to see the young core be the starters. Price/Rush or George/Granger/Hans/Hibbert, I'd like to see what would happen if the coach and FO put a little faith in them. But, until Bird makes a deal or three to get rid of Murph, Dun, Ford and the mediocre role players, and/or Obie, we're stuck in the same spot.

Until next year! There's serious potential to remake this team next year if we manage to make it through this year.

--pizza

MillerTime
07-01-2010, 09:05 PM
It'll only be different if we start moving some of these expirers which we have (Ford, Dunleavy, Murphy and Foster). I really think our best chances of getting a great players because:

There arent many FA that are going to push this team over being a non-contender in the 2011 Free Agency class, so moving our expirers gives us a wider range of players to select from
Theyre arent many players that would want to come to Indy. Its a small market team. Though we'll have the money, so will some other teams

Best chance is to move some of these expirers and obtain a PF and PG

BlueNGold
07-01-2010, 09:08 PM
I expect us to be a little better because I think we should be healthier next year. So, IMO, it all depends on the health of our players.

Except for injured players bouncing back, I don't think we have anyone on the team who is going to make a major leap in productivity. I think we know who we have with Rush and Hibbert (for the most part)...and I seriously doubt rookies are going to lead this team to a winning record. IOW, we are still going to be limited with the younger guys.

So, our best opportunity for success is to see Dunleavy and Hansbrough healthy. Foster healthy would also be nice, but I am now thinking that he is probably on the backside of his career. I cannot believe he will come back at full strength and with his game being energy, old legs is not a good thing. I think he should wrap it up and open up his new biz: Foster Financial

Pacersalltheway10
07-01-2010, 09:21 PM
Maybe we will see the return of the Granger-Dunleavy Duo that left off after the 2007-2008 season if Dunleavy stays healthy.

SYDNEY MILLER AUSTRALIA31
07-01-2010, 09:42 PM
Maybe we will see the return of the Granger-Dunleavy Duo that left off after the 2007-2008 season if Dunleavy stays healthy.

i agree with you on this,i think if dunleavy stays healthy the pacers will have a much better season because he gives confidence in the rest of the players that the rest of them lack, i believe he is the actual leader of the pacers and not granger

Pacerblue
07-01-2010, 09:54 PM
Does it make sense to get rid of these expiring contracts to get players that fit into JOBs system when hopefully he will be gone after this year?

pizza guy
07-01-2010, 09:56 PM
No, we better make these deals for talent, not for Obie's system. Besides, all the guys that fit his system are already on the coaching staff.:rimshot:

--pizza

Hicks
07-01-2010, 10:04 PM
I don't presume to know what WILL happen.

But I can conceive of reasonable scenarios that would result in a much more positive season.

This is a rough number to toss out, but let's say at least 3 of the following happen:

1) George is good enough to earn the right to be in the rotation

2) Ditto for Stephenson

3) And Magnum (I suspect he'll make the roster)

4) Mike Dunleavy looks closer to '08 Mike than '10 Mike

5) Granger stays healthy most of the year (and is more like late '10 Danny than early '10 Danny)

6) Foster is back to his healthier/usual quality self

7) Hansbrough is healthy and as good as he sometimes was last year on a more regular basis (if not better)

8) Roy Hibbert is better than he was in '10

9) Rush improves

10) Josh becomes a rotation player

11) We acquire a better PG than we had in '10

12) We acquire two PGs better than what we had in '10

Depending on which ones (they are not all equal in their impact on next season), if at least a few of these come to pass, particularly 5, 8, and 11/12, then I could see us winning a lot more than 32 games. At least in theory.

If 5, 8, 11/12 and yet a few more of those things happen, then I could easily see us winning a lot more than 32 games.

But you never know for sure. Health could continue to be a major problem. Roy could regress. We may not acquire any new PGs (or maybe we just re-sign Watson). Players may sulk if they truly despise playing for Jim. Something else bad may happen.

There's always a possibility of one or more of those things happening, too.

But I'm happy that there are at least scenarios (more than one) that aren't total pie-in-the-sky daydreams that would result in a relatively much better season than the 2009-2010 campaign.

God knows we're due for some good news/results.

Trophy
07-01-2010, 10:08 PM
I think if we get a good PG that fits in well with this team, then we'll have a good chance at nabbing that 7th or 8th spot in the East for the playoffs.

docpaul
07-01-2010, 10:12 PM
Not sure if this is a darksider perspective or not, but I think many of you underestimate the power of the contract year. :)

You have a number of guys playing for more money, and I think that makes a big difference in their attitude/effort... especially with Dunleavy and Foster.

The implication of course is that they're doing it more for themselves then for the team, and as such, if we make the playoffs, it will be a 7 or 8 seed.

Hibbert improves, McRoberts improves, and Rush improves.

We will continue to struggle at the 1 though, IMO. Man, I'd consider it a huge coup if we freed up Eric Maynor. I might even start feeling a little optimistic.

Ozwalt72
07-01-2010, 10:33 PM
This season will be different.

You will learn more about what the Pacers have in Roy. Does he make another big leap? If he's averaging 16ppg 8rbs 2blks on close to 30mpg, who WON'T be excited?

There are three prospects the Pacers added to the roster. George, Stephenson, and Rolle. If they all make the team, that gives you three players to argue over whether or not they are getting enough playing time. In addition to Hansbrough hopefully being healthy and McRoberts possibly having a larger role.

The record may not be better, the team may not be better, but if the guys that AREN'T expiring improve.....it will be an entertaining year.

Swish
07-01-2010, 11:09 PM
Yes; Because it's June

binarysolo
07-01-2010, 11:34 PM
I don't really think it'll be much better in terms of W/L... but I think it'll be much more enjoyable.

1) More youth!!! We potentially add FOUR young players (tyler, magnum, paul, lance) compared to the second half of last year when Tyler wasn't playing. ALSO potentially more minutes for Josh (fingers crossed) and the continued development of Rush / Hibbert / Price .... lot's of guys to be excited to watch.

2) The vets we don't like are almost gone!

3) Trade deadline. No matter how bleak things look... we can at least look forward to the trade deadline. Not saying that we will make some blockbuster deal... but at least our name will pop up everywhere (like at draft time) and it will be exciting!

4) it's almost 2011-2012.

Bball
07-01-2010, 11:41 PM
Yes; Because it's June

07-01-2010, 11:09 PM

Swish
07-02-2010, 12:53 AM
LOL. Whoops!

Taterhead
07-02-2010, 02:33 AM
I think it will be a lot different. I like all our draft picks. I think Roy Hibbert could take a huge step forward this year, along with Josh McRoberts and Brandon Rush as well. Hopefully Hansbrough can return and stay healthy. Plus, the summer has just started. I think people are over reacting way too much. The important thing is we pull of a good trade, not when we do it. It's a long way from camp.

I just hope it's not good enough for Jim O'brien to luck into a new deal.

PaceBalls
07-02-2010, 03:43 AM
If Murph is on the team and Jim is still coaching, it is guaranteed to be really bad...
If one or both of those guys leaves, it might be a somewhat enjoyable season.

My biggest fear is that Larry will extend Jim after this season and give Murphy a new contract. I can totally see this happening. Can you imagine our big 2011 Free Agent press conference as Bird praises Murphy as one of the greatest Pacers of all time and announces that we have signed him to a new 60million 6 year deal? I can.

Chuck Chillout
07-02-2010, 08:06 AM
Personnel-wise: Still holding out hope that Bird makes some aggressive moves between now and training camp. It wouldn't likely happen until the major free agents are settled, but if he can find a couple of trade partners, I'd like to see him shake things up.

Coaching-wise O'Brien is not going to change his spots regardless of his recent comments about McRoberts, Rush, and Stephenson. Would love to see more balance with the perimeter and post play, but at this point, I know we're still going to be jacking up more 3's than we should be. Bird's going to have to move Murphy and Dunleavy to force O'Brien to focus on youth like he should have been doing all along.

Aside from Hibbert's development, last season was pretty worthless and largely unwatchable, IMO. Bird's been counting on the fans' patience for a long time- here's hoping he can deliver something better for this year.

pizza guy
07-02-2010, 09:08 AM
If Murph is on the team and Jim is still coaching, it is guaranteed to be really bad...

My biggest fear is that Larry will extend Jim after this season and give Murphy a new contract. I can totally see this happening. Can you imagine our big 2011 Free Agent press conference as Bird praises Murphy as one of the greatest Pacers of all time and announces that we have signed him to a new 60million 6 year deal? I can.

That would spell the end for so many Pacers fans. It'd be terrible.

OakMoses
07-02-2010, 09:24 AM
I'm always optimistic in the off-season.

I firmly believe we will be better next year.

If not better, at least more interesting to watch.

thewholefnshow31
07-02-2010, 09:33 AM
The only way I see this season being any different is if we can move Murphy or another expiring contract this summer to improve the PG position. If we go into the season with a gimpy AJ and Ford we are doomed for failure. Even if healthy AJ was not ready to take over full time and we all ready know this teams offense is a disaster with Ford running it.

Also, JOB is our coach so I do not see a drastic change in philosophy or strategy so I just expect the same old same old next year.

Unclebuck
07-02-2010, 10:13 AM
I think next season could be better. Assuming the roster is pretty much the same as it is right now, maybe they either re-sign Watson or they take a chance on Farmar without giving up anything.

I think a reasonable best case scenerio is this team wins 42 - 44 games. (that is not my prediction, but I think that is possible, if things such as this happen - actually Hicks has mentioned these.

First, player chemistry must be better (not great) and the players must not quit on the coach and coaching staff.

Roy and brandon must continue to improve - reasonably so, Granger must become slightly more well-rounded. Dunleavy must be physically better. Geroge most show he is a real NBA player but still a rookie who can play some minutes. Jeff Foster must be able to play some on a somewhat consistant basis, Tyler must be able to do the same. (I think having Jeff available for consistant minutes is a huge key and same with Tyler - I think both of those players as much as any two players on the roster impact winning)

I think all thiose things are reasonable to expect, the key thing is whether all can occur at the same time - that is the problem.

I think 42 wins is possible and nothing unreasonable has to happen. Oh and there will be injuries, every team has injuries. Of course there is the your best player goes down on November 1st with an blown ACL injury, and then there are the normal NBA team injuries that every team has.

luis3ep
07-02-2010, 10:15 AM
why is everyone so damn negative? if not for injuries and chemistry problems last season we would have been a 7-8 seed. You're not a real pacers fan if you always doubt them, i'm not an optimist but a realist and there are things to be excited about guys, we have talent in this team believe it or not, its just a matter of staying healthy and communicating well.

owl
07-02-2010, 10:36 AM
For some reason I see a team that is finally tired of losing. If they can get a Farmer along with everyone healthy I think this season could be significantly different and better. There
WILL be a trade of some expiring contract by the trade deadline. Plus I am very excited about the rookies. The talent level is getting better.

pacers74
07-02-2010, 11:37 AM
I always have hope that we will improve every year. I had hope last year until I went to the first game against Miami after about the first quarter. So yes I will hold out hope until the tip off of the first game.:cool:

Peck
07-02-2010, 12:06 PM
You know the truth is I don't really care what the record is as long as I'm seeing improvement of the play on the floor.

As long as I see devlopment of the young players I won't b!tch and moan every game.

However if I get a full season of Roy being in & out of the lineup and eventually being replaced by Foster and I am treated to tons of Troy Murphy & Mike Dunleavy and we win 36 games I will be very very unhappy.

In other words, yes I am willing to lose more games this season as long as I know we are working towards the future.

I am not willing to watch a bunch of peaked out talents who are not very good being force fed huge min. in a vain attempt to scrap together 4 or 5 more wins while we let the future once again be pushed back another year.

That's what I'm wanting.

Now what I'm expecting is more of the latter and less of my preferance.

My really truely biggest fear is that we will move back to close to mediocre and the team with re-sign O'Brien.

TooBigNdaPaint
07-02-2010, 12:23 PM
The Pacers will not only MAKE the playoffs but will upset their opponent in Round 1. With the infusion of serious young, explosive, long & lean, athletic talent from this years DRAFT, I see a dramatic improvement this year and i'm looking forward to it already!!! We've FINALLY got the pieces to really match up against any opponent. If SF Danny and SG Paul are winning their respective matchups and 6'5" Lance is dominating the PG (or SG position) and Center 6'10 1/2" Magnum Rolle is blocking shots and rebounding in the paint, we'll be a very dangerous team!!! Toss in Center Hibbert and PF Murph/Hans and SF Dun-Dun, and SG Brandon and PG Thomas Heurtel, our 2nd unit will definitely be better than last year's bench!!! Mark it down Pacer fans!!!!

PaceBalls
07-02-2010, 01:46 PM
I always have hope that we will improve every year. I had hope last year until I went to the first game against Miami after about the first quarter. So yes I will hold out hope until the tip off of the first game.:cool:

That game and the first two games vs Denver and Atlanta excrutiatingly exposed what is wrong with the team. Mainly how soft Troy Murphy is and how Hibbert is too slow to guard athletic PFs who Troy lets get by him. OLE!~

Remember Wade and JO laughing their asses off at what a dunkathon it was? /paperbag

Unclebuck
07-02-2010, 01:51 PM
That game and the first two games vs Denver and Atlanta excrutiatingly exposed what is wrong with the team. Mainly how soft Troy Murphy is and how Hibbert is too slow to guard athletic PFs who Troy lets get by him. OLE!~

Remember Wade and JO laughing their asses off at what a dunkathon it was? /paperbag

Yeah, the Pacers interior defense was the worst in the NBA last season.

ChicagoJ
07-02-2010, 02:34 PM

That's about the truth. After about three games, my enthusiasm was almost completely gone.

ChicagoJ
07-02-2010, 02:40 PM
I'd be more optimisitic about the upcoming season if:

(a) O'Brien were gone. (Duh.)

(b) Our draft picks were more polished/ NBA-ready and projected to play their natual positions. But neither is true. Our draft picks aren't here to help us in 2010-11, assuming they hit thier potential (no reason to believe they won't) they'll be helping us during their third season: 2012-13. I'm almost as excited about a rotation of TBD/ Rush/ Granger/ George/ Hibbert/ Price/ Stephenson/ Tyler/ Magnum in a couple of years as I'm excited about TBD/ TBD/ TBD/ TBD/ Hibbert/ TBD/ TBD/ TBD/ TBD in a couple of years. But that's still two years away.

Next season is going to look a lot like the last one. The best hope is that Hibbert and Rush clearly become the second and third best players (so clear that even Jim O'Brien can see it) and push the old, useless vets out of the rotation.

Hoop
07-02-2010, 03:20 PM

:suicide3:

Hoop
07-02-2010, 03:25 PM
For the most part I've been optimistic over the years.

Not anymore, I'm completely on the Dark Side these days. I have no confidence that TPTB will make the right decisions to improve this team.

I'm still waiting on my damn cookies too.

ChicagoJ
07-02-2010, 03:50 PM
I'm still waiting on my damn cookies too.

We've had plenty of patience waiting for you on the Darkside. You'll get your cookies in due time.

:cookie:

NuffSaid
07-03-2010, 12:30 PM
I think this season will be different.

For one thing, when you look down the roster you see players who truly want to be here. This in itself should bring a much different overall attitude in the locker room from how things were or have been since just four years ago post-Brawl but especially since the Golden State trade. Back then we had players who no longer wanted to be here and subsequent to that trade we've had a revolving door of players who were just happy to still be in the NBA and getting paycheck. But now we actually have players who want to be here. Even TJ Ford who knows the odds are very high that he'll be traded is still enthusiastic about being a part of the team.

Second, I think our younger players are starting to ..better understand JOB's system. Josh McRoberts stated as much (for himself) in a recently interview.

Third, the team's overall injury picture should look alot better especially for Foster, Hansborough and Dunleavy - three players I believed the team missed and I view as key to this team's success coming into next season. Why I place such importance on these players should be very obvious to most avid Pacers fans:

1. The Pacers lacked interior toughness in the Paint. Once Foster went down, we lost tons of offensive rebounding down low. You just can't under emphasize the importance of 2nd-shot attempts. Moreover, w/Foster and Hansborough out the Pacers lost alot of the intangibles that "hustle" falls under. They became a softer team w/o these two players.

2. Ball Movement improved when Dunleavy returned. Plus, his presence gave the defense someone else to focus on even if he wasn't scoring the ball well. Dunleavy was still a threat because he could score from anywhere on the floor. He took a great deal of opened shots that I believe had he had his legs fully under him he would have made. He's had an entire summer to get the strength back in his legs and should be a much better players this year over last.

3. The Pacers have become much more athletic! Not only have they acquired players who can create shots for themselves (George, Rolle and Stephensen), but they've also found players who don't mind playing on both sides of the ball. George and Rolle in particular have shown they can take players off the dribble and they've shown an ability to block shots. Yes, these skills have been showcased against college-level players only, but I'm positive these skills will translate into the NBA. If you have natural skills for the game they will carry-over to the pro level. It's about natural instincts. Besides, it's been a long time since the Pacers had a group of players who had "it" naturally. To put this in perspective, some players are natural (pure) shooters. Some players can just somehow find ways to put the ball in the basket against all odds and imagination. I mean, we've seen players like Kobe, Wade and LeBron do it for years. I believe George and Rolle in particular have this natural ability. It's just going to take time for these skills to mature and that will come the more on-court/in-game experience they get.

I think these three issues - having players who want to be here and put in the necessary work to improve every day, having players who have decent natural abilities and can score the ball fluidly from the field or off the dribble, and having a healthier roster - will all translate to a much better season this year.

Pacersalltheway10
07-03-2010, 12:38 PM
I think this team is capable of winning 45-50 games depending on who the Pacers bring in this offseason.

maragin
07-03-2010, 01:28 PM
I always look forward to basketball season, because I hate baseball season.

NuffSaid
07-03-2010, 02:26 PM
I think this team is capable of winning 45-50 games depending on who the Pacers bring in this offseason.
Same here, but it really depends on how healthy Foster, Hansborough and Dunleavy are, and how well George and/or any one of our other draft picks (if signed) mesh with the rest of the team.

I don't think Ford would be a problem if the Pacers retain him. He has shown he can be affective. However, his problem is his commitment level to JOB's system. If he wants to stay here he'll make the necessary adjustments. If not, he'll be gone eventually one way or another. But for the short-term, I think he and AJ can handle things well enough.

I understand some fan's position though. I mean, our "core" still consists of Granger, Murphy, Hibbert & BRush...not very formidable. But...

Slide Hansborough in for Murphy and maybe George (w/some NBA experience) in for BRush and now things begin to look alittle more promising. Get AJ out there w/Granger, Hans, George and Hibbert...

Now, things begin to look very interesting indeed.

Pull Hansborough for McRoberts...now you've potentially spread the floor and made things that much more difficult for defenses to keep up with the likes of Granger, McRob, George, Hibber & AJ because atleast four of these players can score from the perimeter and create shot opportunities for themselves. Plus, Hibbert and McRob are shot blockers and are developing their post-up games.

So, it really depends on what TPTB do atleast with our new draft picks, if players remain healthy throughout the season and if JOB is honest about putting the best players on the floor whether veterans or rookies.