PDA

View Full Version : Sources: Johnson likely to stay a Hawk/ 6years 119mil

vnzla81
07-01-2010, 07:38 PM
:confused:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5344459

The Atlanta Hawks have offered free agent Joe Johnson a maximum six-year contract worth $119 million, and sources told ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard that Johnson is all but sure to accept.

Johnson

The Hawks and Johnson's representatives met Thursday morning in Los Angeles. Since Johnson cannot sign until July 8, he'll give other teams the courtesy of hearing them out. But unless a team completely blows him away, Johnson will take the Hawks' offer, the sources said.

Johnson's representatives also are scheduled to meet with the New York Knicks and Miami Heat as well.

"We met with the Hawks and Knicks [on Wednesday] night and have heard a number of other teams with significant interest in Joe," Johnson's agent, Arn Tellem, said Thursday. "At this point, Joe has many great options to choose from. We plan to meet with the Hawks again [Thursday] to discuss the details of their offer and we hope to make a decision in the near future."

Armed with third-party intelligence that LeBron James considers Johnson a desirable potential teammate, the Knicks booked a flight to meet Johnson before traveling to Cleveland to meet with James on Thursday.

Tellem told The Associated Press on Wednesday night that Johnson has not been involved in any meetings with other free agents.

Johnson led the Hawks in scoring at 21.3 points per game

idioteque
07-01-2010, 07:43 PM
Holy ****, that's a terrible contract. Joe will be 35 when that deal is up.

I can't believe anyone would offer a max deal to Joe Johnson. At least we thought O'Neal was a first option when we maxed him out, Johnson is an undisputed second option.

vnzla81
07-01-2010, 07:45 PM
the funny part is that it looks like the Knicks and the Nets are maybe going to offer more ( don't know how this could happen)

Slick Pinkham
07-01-2010, 07:47 PM
That is awful

We will need a poll eventually to see what was worse, this deal, 20 M for Darko, 32 M for Gooden

I hear that Rudy Gay wants a max contract. Rudy Gay!

There are some crazy GMs out there

vnzla81
07-01-2010, 07:49 PM
That is awful

We will need a poll eventually to see what was worse, this deal, 20 M for Darko, 32 M for Gooden

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?t=54706

pacers74
07-01-2010, 07:50 PM
If knicks miss out on Lebron I bet they will try and do a s&t with the hawks.

vnzla81
07-01-2010, 07:52 PM
Im starting to think that the knicks are not going to get anybody

ChristianDudley
07-01-2010, 07:55 PM
this is just out of hand now...just with today and all the money some bench guys have gotten and 2nd-tier guys have gotten...I'd play 82 games for just $1 million--and that would be me being greedy! if the hawks are offering this much, why can't they offer someone like bosh/wade/lebron this much instead of Joe Johnson?

count55
07-01-2010, 08:00 PM
That is awful

Rudy Gay got a max contract.

MrSparko
07-01-2010, 08:04 PM
Richard Jefferson will be fine.

Return to Glory
07-01-2010, 08:06 PM
Rudy Gay got a max contract.

:eek:WOW Just WOW

And we thought Larry was a bad GM.:laugh:

Kraut N Beer
07-01-2010, 08:07 PM
Maybe we can pry Horford from the Hawks next year and get the kind of PF that Pacers fans seem to love.

BlueNGold
07-01-2010, 08:38 PM
Johnson is a bit old for a SG to get that size of a contract...and while he is a very good SG, he is barely a franchise player. 20M/yr in this economy...

While that is a terrible contract, JO was paid even more while playing part-time...and not nearly as good as he played several years ago. I think Johnson is a better deal the next 4 years than JO has been the last 4 years.

...and the Hawks have nothing on our management. JO, Tinsley, Artest, Bender, Dunleavy, TJ and Murphy's contracts in total should have their own feature film.

Edit: with all due respect for Pacer management, I suppose when they signed most of those guys, they didn't know it would all blow up on them. The Hawks walked right into that deal.

pwee31
07-01-2010, 08:41 PM
The Hawks owners will the selling the team anyway so they won't have to pay the contract for much longer. Plus they want to keep the team winning and relevant, and that's why they're willing to overpay for Joe Johnson

immortality
07-01-2010, 08:44 PM
and he isn't even that good :*

BlueNGold
07-01-2010, 08:52 PM
The Hawks owners will the selling the team anyway so they won't have to pay the contract for much longer. Plus they want to keep the team winning and relevant, and that's why they're willing to overpay for Joe Johnson

They just made the team harder to sell.

odeez
07-01-2010, 09:02 PM
Joe is a great guard, but he's not worth a 119 million, I am sorry.

idioteque
07-01-2010, 09:08 PM
Hate on Larry's drafting all you want, but you can't argue that the contract we gave Granger last year was an absolute steal for the team. If Granger had not signed that deal and became a free agent he may literally command a max deal this offseason.

jhondog28
07-01-2010, 09:11 PM
Johnson is a bit old for a SG to get that size of a contract...and while he is a very good SG, he is barely a franchise player. 20M/yr in this economy...

While that is a terrible contract, JO was paid even more while playing part-time...and not nearly as good as he played several years ago. I think Johnson is a better deal the next 4 years than JO has been the last 4 years.

...and the Hawks have nothing on our management. JO, Tinsley, Artest, Bender, Dunleavy, TJ and Murphy's contracts in total should have their own feature film.

Edit: with all due respect for Pacer management, I suppose when they signed most of those guys, they didn't know it would all blow up on them. The Hawks walked right into that deal.

Not to be a stickler but I thought Dun TJ and Murphy were already signed to those contracts. I am assuming you are discussing the trades done by the management not just the contracts. if you think we have done bad lets take a look back at Raef Lafrentz and Gilbert Arenas to name a few.

LAPacer
07-01-2010, 09:17 PM
Its actually a good thing we don't have cap money this year with all the overpaying going on. It's unlikely if our cap space was this year that Lebron or others would pick Indy over the other destinations without having something to lure him as an advantage (other superstar, big market, supporting cast..etc) . If no one else besides the Pacers has cap money next year, we will get bargains. Patience...

xtacy
07-02-2010, 02:22 AM
i just can't believe how stupid some gm's are. gooden, milicic, gay, frye and this. wow just wow!

judicata
07-02-2010, 02:36 AM
These GMs set themselves up in a position where they had to roll the dice or walk away with absolutely nothing. Lets hope the Pacers don't end up the same way after this coming season.

PaceBalls
07-02-2010, 03:24 AM
Can you say.... Allen Houston?

Sollozzo
07-02-2010, 03:24 AM

You're right about JO not doing jack during the last couple of years of his contract, but at the time signing JO to a max deal was a no-brainer. He was a 25 year old coming off of two straight 20/10 seasons. There's not a GM out there who wouldn't have given JO the max. Remember, the defending champion Spurs were eager to give JO the max so he could team up with Duncan in SA.

Johnson OTOH is a much different case than JO. There are plenty of GM's out there I think who would never give a guy his age a max 6 year contract. That's just foolish and they will seriously regret that. There's no way, IMO, that they look at this in 6 years and say "Thank god we re-signed him to that!"

These absurd guaranteed contracts are a major thorn in the NBA's side. It just kills teams when they are hobbled by the bad contracts of players who don't come close to living up to the money they are making. Teams like us have to pretty much just sit and wait for years until major contracts come off of the books before we can make serious roster changes. Meanwhile, our on the court product suffers which brings about a dire set of consequences in it's own right (attendance, etc). The fact that bums like Eddy Curry can play hard in a contract year and then sit on their *** for 5 years is a travesty. I know no one forces any team to sign a player, but you'll never have a chance at being competitive unless you take chances on guys.

I know that NBA/MLB vs NFL is an apples to oranges comparison when it comes to contracts. But it's nice in the NFL that teams aren't hobbled by guys who are making way more than what they're worth. When a guy like Marvin Harrison's skills deteriorate you cut him and move on, instead of being forced to pay him absurd amounts of money for little production.

Speaking of Tinsley...my god, what did he sign, a 28 year contract? Next season he will STILL be sucking money out of that deal we gave him. I've never seen a contract that "felt" as long as his. It's depressing to go to hoopshype and still see his name on our salary page.

GO!!!!!
07-02-2010, 05:09 AM
I don't get it...

This is worse then a poker game when your in for 70% of your chips and your not confident, but feel pot committed...

walk away, walk away and live for another game.....

same with half these teams, walk away, why would you want to be paying half these guys in 4 years time... it's like Vin Baker and Jim Mcilivane never happened...

GO!!!!!
07-02-2010, 06:09 AM
Unless my maths is woeful, really 7 Mill a year for Amir, just assists my point above...

(http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3982/;_ylt=Akm7h3M_1BiWynrD9bTMWoUQmNIF)
Amir Johnson (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3982/;_ylt=Akm7h3M_1BiWynrD9bTMWoUQmNIF)(notes) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3982/news;_ylt=AvlPd4r9fFICvz.alMXv4IAQmNIF) has reached agreement on a five-year, $34 million contract to return to the Toronto Raptors (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/tor/;_ylt=AkPYTB620Dxnqaw6CEBE4oEQmNIF), his agent Kevin Bradbury told Yahoo! Sports on Thursday.

Johnson, 23, averaged 6.2 points and 4.8 rebounds while playing all 82 games for the Raptors last season. Bradbury said Johnson considered about four teams before agreeing quickly to return to Toronto on the first day of free agency.

“Amir didn’t want to play the free agency game,” Bradbury said. “He wanted to go back to Toronto. He’s young and he has security and a lot of basketball left in him.”

Eindar
07-02-2010, 07:27 AM
Unless my maths is woeful, really 7 Mill a year for Amir, just assists my point above...

(http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3982/;_ylt=Akm7h3M_1BiWynrD9bTMWoUQmNIF)
Amir Johnson (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3982/;_ylt=Akm7h3M_1BiWynrD9bTMWoUQmNIF)(notes) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3982/news;_ylt=AvlPd4r9fFICvz.alMXv4IAQmNIF) has reached agreement on a five-year, $34 million contract to return to the Toronto Raptors (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/tor/;_ylt=AkPYTB620Dxnqaw6CEBE4oEQmNIF), his agent Kevin Bradbury told Yahoo! Sports on Thursday.

Johnson, 23, averaged 6.2 points and 4.8 rebounds while playing all 82 games for the Raptors last season. Bradbury said Johnson considered about four teams before agreeing quickly to return to Toronto on the first day of free agency.

“Amir didn’t want to play the free agency game,” Bradbury said. “He wanted to go back to Toronto. He’s young and he has security and a lot of basketball left in him.”

More like he knew nobody else would be stupid enough to beat that offer!

Wonder if his hands were shaking like Dave Chappelle in Half Baked when he was signing for the medical marijuana?

Day-V
07-02-2010, 08:49 AM
The Atlanta Hawks have offered free agent Joe Johnson a maximum six-year contract worth $119 million

:50cent:

This 50 Cent GIF is epic.