PDA

View Full Version : Sources: Gay to stay in Memphis 5 years 80mil

vnzla81
07-01-2010, 07:35 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5346332

The Memphis Grizzlies have stepped up with a big offer to keep Rudy Gay away from the Minnesota Timberwolves, New Jersey Nets and other interested teams.

Sources close to the situation told ESPN.com that the Grizzlies have offered Gay a five-year contract worth just over $80 million and that Gay has verbally accepted the deal.

"It's as close as you could get," one source said. "The deal will be consummated."

The deal will pay Gay more than $13 million starting next season, with annual raises of 10.5 percent, a definite upgrade over the five-year, $50 million offer he turned down last season.

Another source said Gay is canceling scheduled meetings, such as Thursday night's planned visit to Minnesota, which all but confirms that the restricted free agent is staying in Memphis.

A deal cannot be formally signed until July 8 -- which is the first day that players and teams can execute new contracts -- but sources said Gay and the Grizzlies quickly came to terms within the first 12 hours of free agency.

Although Grizzlies owner Michael Heisley has vowed for weeks to match any offer sheet Gay receives, that did little to dim the expectation around the league that Memphis would ultimately lose him, with Minnesota, New Jersey and the Los Angeles Clippers among the interested.

But once the Grizzlies nudged their contract presentation past the $80 million mark, outside bidders couldn't top them, even with a front-loaded offer sheet.

Gay averaged 19.6 points on 46 percent shooting along with 5.9 rebounds last season and was widely regarded as one of this summer's 10 most coveted free agents.

Marlin
07-01-2010, 08:13 PM
So basically this is a max contract? For Rudy Gay?!

Sookie
07-01-2010, 08:14 PM
I gotta say, I love that..for whatever reason..people over pay the Uconn boys :P coughOkaforcough

joew8302
07-01-2010, 08:15 PM
I gotta admit, this is a tad bit surprising. Memphis has shown no willingness to spend money to keep talent (see Paul Gasol). I really figured Rudy would be a second tier guy that would still command a lot of money that Memphis would view as "too expensive".

Il Ragionier Ugo Fantozzi
07-01-2010, 08:16 PM
What a steal.

joew8302
07-01-2010, 08:16 PM
I gotta say, I love that..for whatever reason..people over pay the Uconn boys :P coughOkaforcough

And I know it was a long deal, but I think this past season Ray Allen made 18.9 million bucks, and Ben Gordon got a fat payday from Detroit which would be hard to argue he earned.

Sookie
07-01-2010, 08:21 PM
And I know it was a long deal, but I think this past season Ray Allen made 18.9 million bucks, and Ben Gordon got a fat payday from Detroit which would be hard to argue he earned.

I think Ray was an all star, and just from seniority, probably deserved that amount (although now that he's on his downturn, my guess is he won't earn that..)

But yes, Charlie, Okafor, Ben..and now Rudy...And then there's poor Caron..

IU_sears
07-01-2010, 08:22 PM
With all these teams handing out stupidly, ridiculously large contracts to just above average players the tight purse strings are fading back into NBA obscurity. NBA teams are spending money like obese women eating chocolate right now, they can't get enough of the spending spree. This is why it is so imperative that the Pacers don't give out bloated contracts next off season or trade for bad contracts this season with the expirings. We need to save the cap room and use the Thunder model of cap flexibility for a huge advantage of acquired draft picks saving other teams from the luxury tax. When you have to trade a draft pick bc you can't squeeze their salary under the luxury tax threshold... that is a fatal flaw of the system that we need to exploit before the new CBA... I think it will be too late however.

tadscout
07-01-2010, 08:25 PM
I'm glad Danny never saw the light of free agency...

AlexAustin
07-01-2010, 09:27 PM
The deal is a bit pricey but it was the only way to keep him. Gay will be only 24 come August and is on the verge of reaching the next level as a player, he was in the top 20 in scoring while sharing the rock with Randolph and Mayo and become the Grizzlies go to guy in close games.

Diamond Dave
07-01-2010, 10:18 PM
I'm glad Danny never saw the light of free agency...

Thank God right? However, in light of Gay and Joe Johnson getting these absurd deals, I've been thinking about the possibility of Danny holding out for a restructured deal.

I'm not sure how this is done in the NBA as that is traditionally more of an NFL type move. Still, Danny is certainly in the same talent range as both aforementioned players. Now he is paid significantly less.

graphic-er
07-01-2010, 10:22 PM
And Granger rockets to the top of the list of best underpaid shooting guard.

Diamond Dave
07-01-2010, 10:47 PM
And Granger rockets to the top of the list of best underpaid shooting guard.

Not in O'brien's system. Here he is a F/C. :laugh:

Smoothdave1
07-01-2010, 11:09 PM
Gay is a good player, but not 80 million good.

pwee31
07-01-2010, 11:32 PM
Thing is I thought they were taking Xavier Henry b/c Gay would be too expensive?

Instead they now have Gay, Mayo, Henry, and Sam Young on the wing. With Zach Randolph being in the last year of his deal they could've used that pick on Ed Davis or Patrick Patterson

tadscout
07-01-2010, 11:39 PM
Thing is I thought they were taking Xavier Henry b/c Gay would be too expensive?

Instead they now have Gay, Mayo, Henry, and Sam Young on the wing. With Zach Randolph being in the last year of his deal they could've used that pick on Ed Davis or Patrick Patterson

I think they may be planning on starting mayo at PG this year...

woowoo
07-01-2010, 11:41 PM
Gay is a good player, but not 80 million good.

These salaries are spiraling out of control. I would bet the ranch that the owners really put the screws to the players this next CBA. Hard cap and no/limited guaranteed contracts I bet will front and center.

If MLB and the NBA would look at the NFL model for success I think their product would be much better. No guaranteed money = players busting their *** to get paid, and not milking the teams dry like the Pacers know all too well.

Smoothdave1
07-01-2010, 11:45 PM
These salaries are spiraling out of control. I would bet the ranch that the owners really put the screws to the players this next CBA. Hard cap and no/limited guaranteed contracts I bet will front and center.

If MLB and the NBA would look at the NFL model for success I think their product would be much better. No guaranteed money = players busting their *** to get paid, and not milking the teams dry like the Pacers know all too well.

I think you'll see several things in the new CBA:

-- Lower salaries
-- Shorter contracts (maybe 4 years max)
-- Contracts may still be guaranteed, but only partially. For example, Player A signs a 4 year/14 million deal of which 7 is only guaranteed.

The owners are definitely in the driver's seat this time around and I expect a potential lock-out. That's why all these players are opting out or signing these crazy deals because their agents are advising them that the money well will dry up dramatically next year.

cdash
07-02-2010, 12:04 AM
Is Paul George's game similar to Rudy Gay's? Obviously, they are at different levels, but I remember when Gay came into the league similar things were said about him. Great athlete, projects to be a good scorer, potential to be a good defender, disappears for lapses, etc. Am I off base? I honestly haven't seen any of Paul George outside of highlight reels, which I take with a grain of salt.

thewholefnshow31
07-02-2010, 09:39 AM
Gay will get 80 million?

:50cent: