PDA

View Full Version : O'Brien wants McRoberts to be a facilitator

Hicks
07-01-2010, 03:40 PM
mg_indy = Michael Grady
He = Josh McRoberts

@mg_indy: He says he's working on shooting & JOB says he wants him 2 b a facilitator

Something minor to counter (ha; yeah, right) the overwhelming amount of anti-JOB schtick running around here these days. I take this to mean someone who is involved in making more passes (an obvious talent of Josh's), but what do I know.

Unclebuck
07-01-2010, 03:45 PM
I think his passing is his best attribute. (can't wait for all the negative sarcastic comments about how JOB is trying to get Josh to be a three point shooter)

A little something from Wells article today

http://www.indystar.com/article/20100701/SPORTS04/7010416/1088/SPORTS04/As-LeBron-Derby-begins-Pacers-seek-point-guard

Pacers officials also like the development of forward Josh McRoberts.

Ozwalt72
07-01-2010, 03:46 PM
He's one of those bigs that can sit in the high post and deliver it to the rim for a cutter like Paul George.

BringJackBack
07-01-2010, 03:48 PM
I'm really anxious to see his play in Summer League. He's really made alot of strides since last years SL, and I cant wait. I want to see him be the middle man in alot of fast breaks, because he may be one of the better players in the league at being the middle man with his strength, passing, and high IQ so to speak.

Who are some big men who have facilitated offenses in the past? Jerry Sloans' teams come to mind.

EDIT: I didn't mean to say facilitate, but like Ozwalt said above do a very good job of finding open guys on a consistent basis.

bphil
07-01-2010, 03:49 PM
They're grooming him to be our next PG...?

Ozwalt72
07-01-2010, 03:51 PM
They're grooming him to be our next PG...?

Made me spit up my sweet tea.

Unclebuck
07-01-2010, 03:51 PM
I'm really anxious to see his play in Summer League. He's really made alot of strides since last years SL, and I cant wait. I want to see him be the middle man in alot of fast breaks, because he may be one of the better players in the league at being the middle man with his strength, passing, and high IQ so to speak.

Who are some big men who have facilitated offenses in the past? Jerry Sloans' teams come to mind.

Kings during the early '00's. Webber, Vlade and Brad Miller. Their whole offense was through those three at the high post which is perfect when youhave a point guard like Bibby and a small forward like Peja

tadscout
07-01-2010, 03:56 PM
I think Hibbert and Mcbob are 2 of our best passers... so hopefully this means more inside out offense.

Ozwalt72
07-01-2010, 03:56 PM

Not really "facilitating offenses" but there are a few bigs that have a nack for finding the open man. Brad Miller is an excellent passer out of the high post. Kevin Love is great with outlet passes and passing out of the post...to cutters or jump shooters.

At least, now days. See UncleBuck's post for what Brad Miller did with Sacramento.

OakMoses
07-01-2010, 04:02 PM
I've been reading Simmons book lately, and one thing that jumps out at me is how many assists all the great centers in the NBA got back in the old days. We think of Walton as a great passer, but Russell and Wilt were excellent passers. Wilt even led the league in assists one year. Kareem pretty consistently average 4+ assists early in his career.

For some reason in the 80's big men stopped being good passers, or offenses stopped running through bigs, I'm not sure which. I like that we have 2 bigs who are both excellent passers.

ksuttonjr76
07-01-2010, 04:02 PM
I can't be mad JOB this season. Thus far, he's been saying all the right things.

Brad8888
07-01-2010, 04:04 PM
I think his passing is his best attribute. (can't wait for all the negative sarcastic comments about how JOB is trying to get Josh to be a three point shooter)

A little something from Wells article today

http://www.indystar.com/article/20100701/SPORTS04/7010416/1088/SPORTS04/As-LeBron-Derby-begins-Pacers-seek-point-guard

Pacers officials also like the development of forward Josh McRoberts.

Oh, no, here comes one now. :eek:

Passing and court awareness is an attribute of McRoberts that is generally overlooked because of focus on his dunks. Those of us who are fans of his have pointed this out about him for about a year now.

That said, O'B was the one who publically stated that the way that McRoberts was going to see playing time next year was to work with Billy Keller and get up a high volume of 3 point shots with a mindset like Reggie Miller or Larry Bird. There is no sarcasm required here. O'B was the one who stated this right around the conclusion of the season, and I cannot believe that he wasn't dead serious about that. If he can't hit 3's, he won't play as much as he should under a fundamentally sound system.

If McRoberts were to play in the high post and pay attention to both getting the ball to Roy in the low post as well as finding cutters, it would provide a dimension to the offense that has not been present at any time since O'B has been here, and would almost represent a paradigm shift in O'B's strategy offensively. It would also reduce the importance of having a pg that initiates offense in the half court, which would be beneficial due to our likely not signing any pg's who will be difference makers prior to TJ Ford's departure.

Until we actually see it occur on the court, I am prone to discount this statement as another of O'B's sales pitches, because he generally has, in the past, used the summer to act as if he is changing things as they needed to be changed, only to present an unchanged product except for the players being traded / injured, necessitating playing multiple players out of position on a frequent basis.

xBulletproof
07-01-2010, 04:04 PM
I can't be mad JOB this season. Thus far, he's been saying all the right things.

So the same as every other year. Sweet.

Now if he'd only do what he says.

BringJackBack
07-01-2010, 04:11 PM
I've been reading Simmons book lately, and one thing that jumps out at me is how many assists all the great centers in the NBA got back in the old days. We think of Walton as a great passer, but Russell and Wilt were excellent passers. Wilt even led the league in assists one year. Kareem pretty consistently average 4+ assists early in his career.

For some reason in the 80's big men stopped being good passers, or offenses stopped running through bigs, I'm not sure which. I like that we have 2 bigs who are both excellent passers.

What Russell did (which Kevin Garnett has attempted to bring back in Boston) was get a big time block or a rebound and throw an outlet pass past halfcourt to start a fast break. Since their players were so good, it was an extremely deadly weapon.

In this day, Kevin Garnett, Lamar Odom, Shaq, Joakim Noah, Greg Monroe, Marc Gasol, Roy Hibbert, and Pau Gasol could really get big time assists if given the chance. The shot clock really does hurt their assists numbers though. Imagine Carlisle with JO and those Pacers with no shot clock.

Those guys are obviously better passers than alot of point guards. Guys like Manu, Lebron, Wade, Terrence Williams, Ray Allen (not so flashy but very effective), Kobe, and so forth are much better passers than most point guards in the league.

PaceBalls
07-01-2010, 04:12 PM
Hopefully this means McBob will not be irrelevant next year. I would love to see Jim finally make McBob a rotation player.

ChristianDudley
07-01-2010, 04:17 PM
this Jim O'Brien character is going to have McBob running the point from now on...a record for tallest PG ever as well!! woooo

imawhat
07-01-2010, 04:38 PM
Good. I'm glad Jim's finally realizing McRoberts's biggest offensive strength.

Asking McRoberts to be a facilitator is like asking Reggie to be a good three point shooter. He already is.

Sookie
07-01-2010, 04:46 PM
Work on three point shooting and be a passer...

I know who our new point guard is :D :D

duke dynamite
07-01-2010, 05:20 PM
This is irrelevant.

CableKC
07-01-2010, 05:56 PM
I'm glad that JO'Bs saying the right things....but ( just like anything else he has said in the past ) when I see McRoberts on the floor getting minutes to utilize whatever Passing, 3pt shooting skills or whatever else JO'B thinks he needs to work on in order to get minutes in his lineup...I'll believe it.

You may say that this is uncalled for on my part....but when was the last time that JO'B said something and then turned around and ended up doing something else? I really want to believe that McRoberts will get some acceptable amount of minutes and give JO'B the benefit of the doubt...but until Murphy and Foster ( 2 Players that I think that JO'B heavily relies upon ) are off the roster....I'm in a "wait and see" mode.

MLB007
07-01-2010, 06:35 PM

Those guys were mostly way bigger and better than the centers they went against. The defenses often doubled and even triple teamed those guys (except Russell) so all they had to do was give it up to a wide open shooter to get an assist.
And the ball went through them MOST of the time.

Bball
07-01-2010, 06:48 PM
The only time I pay attention to what Jim Shoot the 3 O'Brien is saying is when it's about small ball offense and 3 point shots. The rest of it's lip service. The only thing that really matters to Jim O'Brien is that you shoot the 3 ball and shoot it often. That is the only place words and deeds match up.

It's always nice to read his other comments but they are just more ammunition against him because they are meaningless words. His actions are what counts....

IndyPacer
07-01-2010, 07:09 PM

He's going to need to say that he plans on having big guys score some high percentage shots in the paint and get offensive rebounds and indicate that his guards need to be the ones taking most of the perimeter shots in order to qualify as saying the right things in my book. He seems to be picky about every duty a big can have except the key functions they are actually supposed to provide for the team. When I think about "passing and 3-point shooting," my first thought is not "power forward."

Lord Helmet
07-01-2010, 07:11 PM
McRoberts will be a bench warmer this season until it's about March and we're 20 games under .500 and he has no option other than to play him.

I can only hope Josh learns to shoot the 3 well, then we might see him before we're out of the playoff hunt.

Ballerzfan
07-01-2010, 09:34 PM
McRoberts will be a bench warmer this season until it's about March and we're 20 games under .500 and he has no option other than to play him.

You're expecting a different result than last year? :p

captainC
07-01-2010, 10:40 PM
Unless McRoberts is a facilitator in games which we win, then it is pointless.

Magic P
07-01-2010, 10:46 PM
Unless McRoberts is a facilitator in games which we win, then it is pointless.

I'm so cool with my lime green font.

Naptown_Seth
07-01-2010, 10:51 PM
My reaction?

No s*** morons. Like it was us or Josh keeping him off the court and away from passing chances.

Dude threw a behind the back pass while leading a fastbreak. It's only taken JOB 4-5 months to realize that might be useful.

This lip service sounds vaguely similar to the crap we've heard on Price, Roy and Rush. They're all doing well, expected to be major parts of the team and so on. That equals TJ, Head, Dun, Granger, Troy getting 30 minutes as the main core.

JOB needs to really wake up. Instead of talking about Josh's future he first needs to address the past and let us know that he realizes he really fouled up last year when it comes to Josh and the other kids. "Irrelevant" was simply the topper, the perfect example wrapped up in one comment of what fans were getting sick of from JOB. That moment really got the boo ball rolling on JOB.

IMO using Josh is a matter of survival for JOB at this point, just like Jackson avoiding a strip club incident. 1-2 more of those types of comments or PT choices will ramp the boos up to the "this dude must be dumped" level. I think a lot of fans are getting tired of waiting for the rebuild to begin when it clearly started 2-3 years ago for everyone but JOB.

captainC
07-01-2010, 11:07 PM
Did I miss something? yes i used the wrong green color, but it was sarcasm none the less. lol

BlueNGold
07-01-2010, 11:30 PM
I know all about McBob's ability to deliver the ball. He's a pretty good passing big. But I think it's a bit overdone and he's hardly been tested. Dude hardly got on the court against real competition last year.

As for JOB, he will be coach for another year at most because Bird knows a lynch mob will form if he signs another contract. Seriously, the Pacers might actually lose part of its hard-core base if that happens. Can you imagine another 3 years of this style?

Bball
07-01-2010, 11:48 PM
IMO using Josh is a matter of survival for JOB at this point, just like Jackson avoiding a strip club incident. 1-2 more of those types of comments or PT choices will ramp the boos up to the "this dude must be dumped" level. I think a lot of fans are getting tired of waiting for the rebuild to begin when it clearly started 2-3 years ago for everyone but JOB.

I'd say O'Brien's use of Hibbert would be right there if not moreso important than McRoberts for O'Brien's standing with fans.

Jose Slaughter
07-02-2010, 12:17 AM
Facilitator = kick out for a 3!