PDA

View Full Version : JMV talking Granger

pacers74
07-01-2010, 03:10 PM
His BLOG question is are you happy if pacers are shopping around Danny Granger. He said New Jersey would be interested in Granger if they don't sign a big free agent.

pacers74
07-01-2010, 03:11 PM
Here is the BLOG question:

Is Danny Granger being shopped by the Pacers? If not, should he be?

http://www.1070thefan.com/jmv/blogentry.aspx?BlogEntryID=10123601

Trader Joe
07-01-2010, 03:12 PM
Well what would we be getting back for him?

odeez
07-01-2010, 03:12 PM
no

BringJackBack
07-01-2010, 03:14 PM
I would be open to trading him obviously if we get Devin Harris, TWill, a 1st and all that but the main thing is that Danny is getting paid a very, VERY, modest contract and that is something that we should really covet and not just throw out.

pacers74
07-01-2010, 03:16 PM
New Jersey doesn't have anything to give us. They would have to keep something and the only assets they have are Harris, T.Will, B.Lopez, and Favors.
It would take about all 4 of them to get Granger.

Grangerous
07-01-2010, 03:19 PM
please please just dont trade Danny!!!!!!
i promise you all we will calling them double G's or G's squad or G spot (LOL) or anything ........... they will be the next jordan and pippen

Unclebuck
07-01-2010, 03:20 PM
I don't think they are shopping him at all. But they are willing to trade him for the right price

Grangerous
07-01-2010, 03:21 PM
I don't think they are shopping him at all. But they are willing to trade him for the right price

the right price would be for Lebron that s all!:cool:

BringJackBack
07-01-2010, 03:22 PM
New Jersey doesn't have anything to give us. They would have to keep something and the only assets they have are Harris, T.Will, B.Lopez, and Favors.
It would take about all 4 of them to get Granger.

I would happily take any combination of two and call it a day, and while Granger has a very good contract, thats passing up too much for Granger who will be in his 30's if we ever start contending again.

ChristianDudley
07-01-2010, 03:24 PM
well if we would for whatever reason do a trade involving Granger to the Nets, at least Yi is gone so we wouldn't have to put up with him lol.

binarysolo
07-01-2010, 04:05 PM
Chad Ford supports this:

"If the Nets don't land LeBron, expect them to re-engage the Indiana Pacers in talks about a Danny Granger for Devin Harris and Derrick Favors swap."

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/category/_/name/free-agent-reports

cdash
07-01-2010, 04:10 PM
I'm sorry, I love Granger, but if we can plug the hole at the point and get a potential superstar power forward who fits in nicely next to Hibbert...I'm probably on board for trading Danny.

sportfireman
07-01-2010, 04:14 PM
Chad Ford supports this:

"If the Nets don't land LeBron, expect them to re-engage the Indiana Pacers in talks about a Danny Granger for Devin Harris and Derrick Favors swap."

I love Danny but I would do a Devin and Favors swap......

I guess I believe George will be that good.

EDIT........ maybe thats the plan for our pg .....trade for Harris and Favors

Harris/Ford/Price
Rush/DJones/Stephenson
George/Dunleavy
Favors/Hansbrough/McRoberts
Hibbert/Murphy/Foster/Roelle

Thats actually a deep team that could compete in the East

Gamble1
07-01-2010, 04:17 PM
I'm sorry, I love Granger, but if we can plug the hole at the point and get a potential superstar power forward who fits in nicely next to Hibbert...I'm probably on board for trading Danny.
:vaderno:

That is all.

ksuttonjr76
07-01-2010, 04:32 PM
Why would the Nets do this trade?

Love Granger, but I would this trade in a heartbeat. Plus, we still have expiring contracts to other deals too? Man, I probably would try to do S&T for Richard Jefferson to get rid of Troy Murphy.

Justin Tyme
07-01-2010, 04:35 PM
I'm not the biggest fan of Granger by far, but Harris and Favors isn't enough. The Nets need to throw in at least a 1st pick and maybe take Ford's expiring contract too if they expect Bird to stay on the phone.

cdash
07-01-2010, 04:36 PM
If I remember correctly, the rumored deal at the draft was Granger/#10 for Harris/#3. Does that mean New Jersey would want Paul George too? Or maybe they would settle for something else? Still not sure this trade has legs.

tadscout
07-01-2010, 04:37 PM
Chad Ford supports this:

Wasn't it Ford the one that reported that Thorn made up the whole trade talk as a smokescreen and we never talked in the first place?

He's contradicting himself somewhere... :hmm:

odeez
07-01-2010, 04:38 PM
We are not moving Granger, can we please move on >>> I would be shocked if we did trade him. Danny has decent contract considering what he brings to the team, and I want to hold on to him!

odeez
07-01-2010, 04:39 PM
Wasn't it Ford the one that reported that Thorn made up the whole trade talk as a smokescreen and we never talked in the first place?

He's contradicting himself somewhere... :hmm:

Well now, if Favors is included I might have to reconsider...

ZepZach
07-01-2010, 04:40 PM
I sure hope we don't trade Granger. Its purely selfish. I just like watching him play.

Magic P
07-01-2010, 04:43 PM
If we traded Granger then i suspect we're keeping Rush. :(

tadscout
07-01-2010, 04:43 PM
Well now, if Favors is included I might have to reconsider...

The whole made up rumor that Ford said was made up did include the #3 saying it was Favors we were targeting....

It was a podcast Ford did with Simmons after the draft he stated the whole Danny and #10 for Harris, Yi, and #3 (Favors) was completely made up and the two teams never even talked.

ksuttonjr76
07-01-2010, 04:47 PM
I'm not the biggest fan of Granger by far, but Harris and Favors isn't enough. The Nets need to throw in at least a 1st pick and maybe take Ford's expiring contract too if they expect Bird to stay on the phone.

Baby steps, Man! IMHO, the Nets would be a fool to take this trade. To me, it's 2 All-Stars (given Favors Hype) for a fringe All-Star.

BornReady
07-01-2010, 04:52 PM
...hold up guys
why would the nets do this?
what pg would they have then?
what pf would they have then?

pacers74
07-01-2010, 04:53 PM
With the rookies practicing now, Bird is probably evaluated them and going to decide if we have enough to let Granger be on the trade block. If George looks great than maybe we can get a all-star PG and a top 3 pick rookie PF for him. I though Bird would wait and evaluate Goerge to see if he wanted to keep Rush or trade him.

pacers74
07-01-2010, 04:56 PM
...hold up guys
why would the nets do this?
what pg would they have then?
what pf would they have then?

The Nets are still way under the cap. They can sign player like crazy. This is just if they miss out on the top guys like Lebron, Wade, Bosh, and maybe Joe Johnson.
Maybe they want to sign Amare and pair him with Granger.

graphic-er
07-01-2010, 04:58 PM
You certainly wouldn't trade Granger away before the season starts. If you like what you see out of Favors and Harris this year at the trade deadline then you have to consider it.

I wouldn't want to give up Granger for them as this point, last year Harris played very uninspired, and it showed. You want that guy as the best player on your team?

tadscout
07-01-2010, 04:59 PM
Since I can't find the link to the podcast right now here's a link to a post that first talked about it here on PD

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showpost.php?p=1019348&postcount=156

On Bill Simmon's podcast, Chad Ford reported that the Granger rumors were a complete lie leaked by the Nets to mess with Minnesota. No smoke, no fire, just lies.

This is just where a bad rumor grows legs and spirals out of control!!!

BornReady
07-01-2010, 05:00 PM
The Nets are still way under the cap. They can sign player like crazy. This is just if they miss out on the top guys like Lebron, Wade, Bosh, and maybe Joe Johnson.
Maybe they want to sign Amare and pair him with Granger.

In that case would they really want to give up two key players in their core in Harris and Favors? Or would they rather just straight up sign an above average SF?
I feel like they'd be taking a step backwards by giving up two guys like that for Granger.
I absolutely love Granger, but I wouldn't think twice about taking this trade.

binarysolo
07-01-2010, 05:03 PM
You certainly wouldn't trade Granger away before the season starts. If you like what you see out of Favors and Harris this year at the trade deadline then you have to consider it.

I wouldn't want to give up Granger for them as this point, last year Harris played very uninspired, and it showed. You want that guy as the best player on your team?

You say we should wait and see how Harris and Favors play this next season. I remember people frequently saying that Bird needed to wait until we were on the clock before considering a trade involving #10 in case someone dropped.

The thing is, there is another team involved! #10 had more value before the draft because the other team knows it is possible for someone to drop. If no one drops, value diminished.

Likewise, if Favors comes out and sets the world on fire, guess what -- the asking price just went way up!! The fact that he is an unknown gives great variance on his value. There could be an opportunity for a steal.

Also, I think people would hope Favors would be our best player, eventually at least. It would be a move to increase our upside.

BornReady
07-01-2010, 05:05 PM
guys I think tadscout is right. I don't think any of this is true.

pacers74
07-01-2010, 05:12 PM
In that case would they really want to give up two key players in their core in Harris and Favors? Or would they rather just straight up sign an above average SF?
I feel like they'd be taking a step backwards by giving up two guys like that for Granger.
I absolutely love Granger, but I wouldn't think twice about taking this trade.

Aside from Lebron and Joe Johnson, what SF can they sign that would be better than Granger? Maybe they aren't sold on Harris. Maybe that should be concern of ours too.

BornReady
07-01-2010, 05:16 PM
Aside from Lebron and Joe Johnson, what SF can they sign that would be better than Granger? Maybe they aren't sold on Harris. Maybe that should be concern of ours too.

they certainly would be hard pressed to find one, but at the same time, I think the combination of Harris Favors and whoever they sign would be stronger than Granger and whoever they sign. Some names that do come to my head, however, would be RJefferson (I know, he's not as good, but it has just been reported that he wants to go to the Nets or Knicks) and actually, Carmelo.

BRushWithDeath
07-01-2010, 06:31 PM
If the Nets would give us Harris and Favors for Granger, I'd hope we'd do that all day long.

crunk-juice
07-01-2010, 06:35 PM

strongly disagree. i dont care what we get back. i wouldnt trade him for anything. this isnt NBA live, i dont want to trade the face of our franchise to get a little better.

Return to Glory
07-01-2010, 06:36 PM
Im not to sure if I like this trade.

To be honest I don't like Harris that much and Favors could be a bust.(I know every draft pick could be a bust)

So lets just say that Favors is a bust, Is Harris that much of an upgrade over Granger and Harris seems to be hurt every season?

Trader Joe
07-01-2010, 06:43 PM
I love Granger as much as the next guy, but I think Harris and Favors is a pretty good haul for him. A one time all star and the number 3 pick in the draft? I mean that's a pretty incredible haul actually...

Justin Tyme
07-01-2010, 08:32 PM
Danny has decent contract considering what he brings to the team,

Compared to Rudy Gay's new contract Granger is a steal!!

Justin Tyme
07-01-2010, 08:45 PM
I love Granger as much as the next guy, but I think Harris and Favors is a pretty good haul for him. A one time all star and the number 3 pick in the draft? I mean that's a pretty incredible haul actually...

Again, I think that is too cheap for Granger. The Nets have to pony up more if they want Granger. Who is to say Favors isn't another Jordan Hill like Walsh drafted last year for the Knicks? It would take more than Harris and Favors to get this deal done if Bird is using his noggin.

CableKC
07-01-2010, 09:28 PM
As many of you have said....I'd move Granger if the Price was Right ( where Bob Barker when you need him ? ).

Given that the Pacers would be in the drivers seat...my pricetag would be pretty high....I'd want Devin+TWill+Favors for Granger+Solo.

Trophy
07-01-2010, 09:34 PM
We said no the first time to NJ. Why would they ask again?

They're not bad at SF. They have Terrance Williams and Courtney Lee.

BornReady
07-01-2010, 09:42 PM
As many of you have said....I'd move Granger if the Price was Right ( where Bob Barker when you need him ? ).

Given that the Pacers would be in the drivers seat...my pricetag would be pretty high....I'd want Devin+TWill+Favors for Granger+Solo.

I mean in that case, why don't we just ask for their whole team for Granger?

Naptown_Seth
07-01-2010, 11:05 PM
The big suspicion on draft night from several pundits was that the Nets took Favors in big part because he was the most attractive trade asset they could draft. For now they go into a holding pattern and then look to make a big hit after the FA window closes, if need be, as Ford suggested.

And it sure seems like they will come up empty there.

tadscout
07-01-2010, 11:15 PM
The big suspicion on draft night from several pundits was that the Nets took Favors in big part because he was the most attractive trade asset they could draft. For now they go into a holding pattern and then look to make a big hit after the FA window closes, if need be, as Ford suggested.

And it sure seems like they will come up empty there.

I'll laugh when Lebron goes there...

indygeezer
07-01-2010, 11:26 PM
Regarding trading DG....I will invoke the adage that has been around PD since it's inception.

Beware the best player on a crappy team!

I cannot fathom how overvalued some of you hold Danny.

Harddrive7
07-01-2010, 11:40 PM
Regarding trading DG....I will invoke the adage that has been around PD since it's inception.

I agree with ya Mr. Fudd.

cdash
07-02-2010, 12:12 AM
The whole made up rumor that Ford said was made up did include the #3 saying it was Favors we were targeting....

It was a podcast Ford did with Simmons after the draft he stated the whole Danny and #10 for Harris, Yi, and #3 (Favors) was completely made up and the two teams never even talked.

I don't think that's exactly how he put it. I believe in that podcast he said that Larry Bird stated that it was completely made up. It seemed to me that he sounded a little bit skeptical.

cdash
07-02-2010, 12:14 AM
strongly disagree. i dont care what we get back. i wouldnt trade him for anything. this isnt NBA live, i dont want to trade the face of our franchise to get a little better.

If it makes the team better, then why wouldn't you want to do it? Who's to say that in two years Derrick Favors couldn't be the face of the franchise?

tadscout
07-02-2010, 12:22 AM
I don't think that's exactly how he put it. I believe in that podcast he said that Larry Bird stated that it was completely made up. It seemed to me that he sounded a little bit skeptical.

Well I also read somewhere where they were giving Thorn props for holding Kahn hostage with the smokescreens and lies he was putting up trying to raise the value of the #3 pick... that writer also said the Pacers rumor was 100% made up... but for the life of me I can't remember who it was (one of the espn (other than ford) or yahoo guys).

They went on to say what a shame it is to see such a masterful GM to retire especially after seeing the squirming he made Kahn do prior to the draft...

Soooo.... I think Thorn was just using our trade aggressiveness against Kahn to try to trick him into a flip of the # 3 and 4 pick and get additional picks from the Wolves...

cdash
07-02-2010, 12:33 AM
Well I also read somewhere where they were giving Thorn props for holding Kahn hostage with the smokescreens and lies he was putting up trying to raise the value of the #3 pick... that writer also said the Pacers rumor was 100% made up... but for the life of me I can't remember who it was (one of the espn (other than ford) or yahoo guys).

They went on to say what a shame it is to see such a masterful GM to retire especially after seeing the squirming he made Kahn do prior to the draft...

Soooo.... I think Thorn was just using our trade aggressiveness against Kahn to try to trick him into a flip of the # 3 and 4 pick and get additional picks from the Wolves...

Yeah I remember reading that too, I believe it was somewhere on ESPN. To be honest, I don't know what to believe. I'd guess that we had very, very basic, "what if" types of talks with New Jersey and a Granger for #3/Harris scenario was floated, but never formally offered. That seems to be how most of these things go down.

tadscout
07-02-2010, 12:40 AM
Yeah I remember reading that too, I believe it was somewhere on ESPN. To be honest, I don't know what to believe. I'd guess that we had very, very basic, "what if" types of talks with New Jersey and a Granger for #3/Harris scenario was floated, but never formally offered. That seems to be how most of these things go down.

Glad to hear I'm not crazy...

I'm thinking after Bosh's latest statement about the Nets presentation I wouldn't be surprised to see Lebron and Bosh sign with the Nets... and Favors might be part of the S&T for Bosh.

Soo all this may be mute...

cdash
07-02-2010, 12:45 AM
I think the one thing that is killing the Nets is the fact that they have to play in freaking Newark for two years.

Gamble1
07-02-2010, 01:00 AM

For all those who want to trade Danny I want to ask you this, Who in the NBA produces like Danny and only cost 12-13 mill a year. Please don't bring up rookie contract players.

To me Danny is bargain for what he does for this team and to trade him away would only spin this franchise further into the abyss.

I mean I get it. We need a pg and we need more talent but is the best way? Trade him away for "2 best players on a crappy team?"

In anycase I highly doubt Bird risks it. He already has gone on record that it would take more than Harris and a pick to get Danny.

indygeezer
07-02-2010, 06:10 AM
For all those who want to trade Danny I want to ask you this, Who in the NBA produces like Danny and only cost 12-13 mill a year. Please don't bring up rookie contract players.

To me Danny is bargain for what he does for this team and to trade him away would only spin this franchise further into the abyss.

I mean I get it. We need a pg and we need more talent but is the best way? Trade him away for "2 best players on a crappy team?"

In any case I highly doubt Bird risks it. He already has gone on record that it would take more than Harris and a pick to get Danny.

So much for family togetherness. He eats at the little kids table next Thanksgiving. I fully agree with the highlighted part tho.

thewholefnshow31
07-02-2010, 09:19 AM
I am fine with moving Granger in a package if it guarantees us getting someone who is one of the top players in the league. If we used Granger in a package to get CP3 then I am fine with it. Now trading him for a solid PG and a rookie PF who has not proven anything is another story. We would basically be relying on two rookies to develop quickly or we take some big steps back. It defiantly would be a high risk high return deal. If Favors and George both turned to be great players we are set for years to come, but if George or Favors bust we take big steps backwards.

BillS
07-02-2010, 09:42 AM
Soo all this may be mute...

I can only wish :rolleyes:

What boggles me is that a rumor comes out from another team saying they are interested in trading for the guy who is arguably our best player today.

Immediately, two sides form. One side is that Larry Bird is the stupidest man on the face of the earth because he WON'T take that offer, whatever it is, because the best player on the Pacers means the guy really does suck secretly and if we can palm him off on someone else before they notice it we'll score big.

The other side is that Larry Bird is the stupidest man on the face of the earth because he is clearly shopping/trying to trade the best player on the team and therefore he should be put in a gunny sack with a pile of bricks and thrown into the pond.

The idea that this is some other team's GM saying what he'd like to do without any involvement from Larry Bird (that idiot) isn't at all possible, oh, no, precious.

The only thing that surprises me is that someone hasn't worked :deadhorse into this some how, like "we're trading Danny because he doesn't shoot enough 3's and tries to play too much defense."

pizza guy
07-02-2010, 09:53 AM
I can only wish :rolleyes:

What boggles me is that a rumor comes out from another team saying they are interested in trading for the guy who is arguably our best player today.

Immediately, two sides form. One side is that Larry Bird is the stupidest man on the face of the earth because he WON'T take that offer, whatever it is, because the best player on the Pacers means the guy really does suck secretly and if we can palm him off on someone else before they notice it we'll score big.

The other side is that Larry Bird is the stupidest man on the face of the earth because he is clearly shopping/trying to trade the best player on the team and therefore he should be put in a gunny sack with a pile of bricks and thrown into the pond.

The idea that this is some other team's GM saying what he'd like to do without any involvement from Larry Bird (that idiot) isn't at all possible, oh, no, precious.

The only thing that surprises me is that someone hasn't worked :deadhorse into this some how, like "we're trading Danny because he doesn't shoot enough 3's and tries to play too much defense."

I completely disagree with everything but what I bolded. Bird is dumb no matter what he does or doesn't do.

--pizza

Gamble1
07-02-2010, 10:43 AM
So much for family togetherness. He eats at the little kids table next Thanksgiving. I fully agree with the highlighted part tho.
I'll just wait till your on your second Manhantten to ask for your forgiveness.:-p

nerveghost
07-02-2010, 10:57 AM
I can tell you that when I worked at the Pacers as an intern, Kahn was a douchebag. Nobody liked him. The story was that Donnie hired him as a favor to Larry Brown.

nerveghost
07-02-2010, 03:47 PM
Kahn's background is as a sportswriter in Portland. Its like having Kravitz run a team. (shudder)