PDA

View Full Version : Minny Signs Darko

Swish
07-01-2010, 01:32 PM
The Minnesota Timberwolves have made a verbal agreement with free agent Darko Milicic on a four year, $20 million deal sources close to the process told ESPN.com's Chad Ford. Free agents can't formally sign contracts until July 8.

The fourth year of the contract is only partially guaranteed, sources said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5345905&campaign=rss&source=NBAHeadlines

btowncolt
07-01-2010, 01:35 PM
:noooo:

vnzla81
07-01-2010, 01:36 PM
:haha:

themayhem87
07-01-2010, 01:37 PM
how does that clown make more money that i'll ever see in my lifetime? not fair

pacers74
07-01-2010, 01:51 PM
If you can believe it, I heard Kahn of Dan Patrick last week say one of the reasons that they are looking to trade Jefferson is because they want playing time for Darko.:confused::laugh:

Kraut N Beer
07-01-2010, 01:52 PM
I checked out Darko's career stats and I thought I'd share. In seven seasons, Darko has averaged 53 games played, 5.6 points, 4.1 rebounds, and 1.2 blocks. I was surprised to see he is still only 25 years old.

Minnesota Timberwolves: You made a BAD deal!

Time to go check out the T-Wolves message boards for some fun reading....

JB24
07-01-2010, 01:56 PM
He can more than hold his own defensively though, and it's probably where most of his value lies. This is a much better deal than than the contract MIL just gave Gooden imo.

thewholefnshow31
07-01-2010, 02:23 PM
No wonder the NBA is going to fight hard with the new CBA. They need a new CBA to save these moronic GMs from themselves. How can you give Darko 20 million dollars over 4 years?

You just have to shake your head at GMs who give guys like Gooden and Darko that much money.

BringJackBack
07-01-2010, 02:26 PM
If you can believe it, I heard Kahn of Dan Patrick last week say one of the reasons that they are looking to trade Jefferson is because they want playing time for Darko.:confused::laugh:

If any of you guys have NBAtv, you might have saw when Rick Kamla said that a source told him that Minny's front office had a meeting and came out of their talking about how Darko was going to be their starting center of the future and I assume Kahn believes that 4 year, 20 million is some kind of bargain. I understand that Big Al does not fit the Triangle Offense, but come on David Kahn. You are seriously going to bash franchises for offering you one sided deals, and for reporting that Al Jefferson has injury issues, and then do stupid moves like this and draft four point guards? Does he seriously think that anyone is going to pay anything relatively close to the MLE for Darko? Teams like us wouldn't pick him up for the minimum.

And the Bucks GM (name has escaped my head), how can you possibly win executive of the year award and then pursue Corey Maggette, a somewhat selfish player who doesn't like defense, and overpay for the supposedly cancerous Drew Gooden who will be over the hill once his contract is up. At least if you overpay Hedo Turkoglu, for instance, your going to get decent play for 5 years.

It was the Draft Preview Show I believe.

xtacy
07-02-2010, 04:19 AM
i just read wolves forum on realgm and i'm shocked. you wouldn't believe how many people are actually excited about this signing. a guy says he hopes darko becomes an all-star this year. another one says he has a shot at MIP. and they are not in green.

nerveghost
07-02-2010, 08:04 AM
Looks like he had a "Brandon Rush" finish last season. I think we all know why you shouldn't make snap judgements on a strong finish...

Mr. Sobchak
07-02-2010, 09:04 AM
I only got to watch a few games when he played last year, but he did play well...He's a great athlete, a 7 footer, and only 25 years old...He also plays one of the hardest positions to fill on the court. I actually don't mind this signing for that price...Minny was having Darko guard 4's at the end of last season because Jefferson and Love both sucked at it IIRC.

Justin Tyme
07-02-2010, 10:07 AM
[QUOTE=thewholefnshow31;1024922]

How can you give Darko 20 million dollars over 4 years? /QUOTE]

I thought that was a more than reasonable salary for Darko. Stop and remember Foster's salary this season is 6.6 mil for a "33 year old injured 1 trick pony". How can the Pacers afford him?

Foster played in 16 games last season averaging

48% FGA... 55% FT... 5 Rebs... 1 Ast... 3 PPG at a salary of 6 Mil or $375,000 per game played. Again, how can the Pacers afford him!?!?

Darko averaged with Minnie last year

49% FGA... 53% FT... 5.5 Reb... 2 Ast... 8 ppg

and took a 2.5 mil decrease in salary from 7.5 mil to 5 mil at 25 years of age.
Obviously, Kahn was smarter than Bird in re-negoiating a contract.

PacerGuy
07-02-2010, 10:21 AM
[QUOTE=thewholefnshow31;1024922]

How can you give Darko 20 million dollars over 4 years? /QUOTE]

I thought that was a more than reasonable salary for Darko. Stop and remember Foster's salary this season is 6.6 mil for a "33 year old injured 1 trick pony". How can the Pacers afford him?

Foster played in 16 games last season averaging

48% FGA... 55% FT... 5 Rebs... 1 Ast... 3 PPG at a salary of 6 Mil or $375,000 per game played. Again, how can the Pacers afford him!?!?

Darko averaged with Minnie last year

49% FGA... 53% FT... 5.5 Reb... 2 Ast... 8 ppg

and took a 2.5 mil decrease in salary from 7.5 mil to 5 mil at 25 years of age.
Obviously, Kahn was smarter than Bird in re-negoiating a contract.

Don't know if I agree w/ all of this, but more then not.
I kinda like Darko (don't know why). IMHO he was drafted by the worst team for him. He did not fit the system, style, temperment, culture, or image. He was very young & was over-whelmed. He has slowly showed improvment & confidence. I could see him being a T.Chandler-type. I like these guys as a b/u C, or spot min's @ the 4 in a big lineup. Not sure 5mil/yr is good, but not horrific either (see above - I 100% agree w/ the Foster analogy!).

dal9
07-02-2010, 10:37 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerome_James

Sparhawk
07-02-2010, 12:50 PM
If the Timberwolves are so stupid, then why can't Bird trade for trade for one of their many PGs?

Yeah, all the signings going on right now are *****ing awful.

duke dynamite
07-02-2010, 03:07 PM
Per Kahn Bird and Morway looked like these guys last week:

http://www.costumesofnashua.com/CNWebSite105/Active905/Pages/CostumeRental/Austin60s70s/Pics%20Austin1970s/AustinDumbJC.jpg

Now Kahn is looking like the idiot.

http://blog.newsok.com/thebusiness/files/2009/02/jerk-new-phone-book.jpg

cordobes
07-04-2010, 12:47 PM
I only got to watch a few games when he played last year, but he did play well...He's a great athlete, a 7 footer, and only 25 years old...He also plays one of the hardest positions to fill on the court. I actually don't mind this signing for that price...Minny was having Darko guard 4's at the end of last season because Jefferson and Love both sucked at it IIRC.

Fully agreed.

I think this is a bargain signing. Darko is an excellent shot-blocker, a very good defender (especially inside), a decent team rebounder.

The problem with Darko is that he believe he wants to be a different player. If Rambis can convince him to do what he does well (defend, block shots, set screens, scoring on putbacks and hand-offs), he can be a Kendrick Perkins/Dampier type of player and for this price that's a steal. If he keeps shooting those 17fters and making moves on the post... he loses half of his value. Darko as a complementary offensive piece (low usage, high efficiency) is a starting center in the league.

But at least he's a serviceable backup center who brings good defense, tries to do too much offensively so needs to have his minutes limited and is entering his prime. $4 millions per season for that kind of player? Pretty good.