PDA

View Full Version : Salary Cap Rules Question

Swish
07-01-2010, 01:05 PM
So I am no Salary Cap wizard, to be sure. I think I have a handle on how the rules are written, but I could be wrong. Please someone tell me if I am.

So I was just kicking around why R.Jeff and Pierce would want to opt out of their respective contracts, and came up with most of the possible reasons that have been discussed here. And the more I thought about it, the conspiracy part of my brain kicked in and I thought of something that may or may not be possible, or legal

So I am not saying this IS the reason, just a hypothetical thought, ok? And again, the whole thing may not work and the topic be useless. Anyway...as I understand the cap, you can go over it to resign your own players, but have to be under it to sign new players, correct?

So if a team is 10 million over, and a player who has a player option of 20 million declines his option, the team is then 10 under.

Is there something stopping a scenario where (hypothetical example) Boston says to Pierce, "Hey, Paul. We really want to go get {Insert high profile free agent here}, but we're over the cap and can't. You decline your player option, then we will go out and sign {FA}, then go over the cap to resign you to the same amount."

And I'm totally aware of a Carlos Boozer situation here, but it was just something that popped into my head that I wondered if it could actually happen?

count55
07-01-2010, 01:12 PM
No, you can't do that.

Paul Pierce has a cap hold (of I think 150% of his last year's salary) to prevent this from happening.

Swish
07-01-2010, 01:13 PM
Is that standard in player option situations, or unique to his alone? Any situation where something like this could happen?

wintermute
07-01-2010, 01:15 PM
that's where "cap holds" come in.

from larry coon's faq

A team's free agents continue to count as team salary (against the salary cap). This charge is called the "free agent amount." So there may not be enough money under the cap to sign another team's free agent, because the team's own free agents are taking up all their cap room.

so in your example, pierce continues to count as a salary on the celtics' payroll, meaning they can't go and sign a $10m player. the celtics can remove pierce's cap hold by renouncing his rights, but that means they won't be able to use bird rights to re-sign him any more.

count55
07-01-2010, 01:17 PM
Is that standard in player option situations, or unique to his alone? Any situation where something like this could happen?

Any situation.