PDA

View Full Version : Milwaukee Bucks / Drew Gooden / Cap holds...

Jim R
07-01-2010, 09:46 AM
On the day it's reported Milwaukee is making a strong pitch to bring John Salmons back, they signed Drew Gooden to a 5 year $32M deal. That's $6.4M per year. That brings their cap number to $55M.

Are we saying they can't really sign Salmons via Bird Rights?

MillerTime
07-01-2010, 09:49 AM
On the day it's reported Milwaukee is making a strong pitch to bring John Salmons back, they signed Drew Gooden to a 5 year $32M deal. That's $6.4M per year. That brings their cap number to $55M.

I beleive so. Bucks were the last time to hold a contract with Salmons so I think they own his Bird rights

JB24
07-01-2010, 09:53 AM
Wow. What an awful contract

Slick Pinkham
07-01-2010, 10:03 AM
Joe Johnson's contract with Atlanta will be worse. A 6 year full max deal, over 120 million?

Kobe, Wade, Lebron deserve to be true max guys. Bosh and Dirk should be close.

Joe Johnson is arguably no better than Danny Granger, who is paid fairly.

Doddage
07-01-2010, 10:13 AM
What in the world? 5 years???

count55
07-01-2010, 10:17 AM

The only reason they wouldn't have Salmons' Bird Rights (as far as I know) would be if they renounced them in order to sign Drew Gooden, and I don't believe they did that.

The numbers in the Gooden contract/offer look like they'd fit into the MLE, so I don't think that Milwaukee would have any restrictions on re-signing Salmons - other than self-imposed restrictions cause by wanting to limit the payroll or avoid the tax.

Jim R
07-01-2010, 11:04 AM
The only reason they wouldn't have Salmons' Bird Rights (as far as I know) would be if they renounced them in order to sign Drew Gooden, and I don't believe they did that.

The numbers in the Gooden contract/offer look like they'd fit into the MLE, so I don't think that Milwaukee would have any restrictions on re-signing Salmons - other than self-imposed restrictions cause by wanting to limit the payroll or avoid the tax.

That's a good point Count, and I hadn't considered that. I was going back to a discussion I had with LeBron and Cleveland currently being under the cap...well...minus his cap number.

vnzla81
07-01-2010, 11:24 AM
this should be good news for the Pacers, the Bucks were going to be one of the other teams with big cap space next year.

grace
07-01-2010, 11:31 AM
Drew Gooden. Yuck.

MrSparko
07-01-2010, 11:37 AM
Drew Gooden!?!?!

MillerTime
07-01-2010, 11:52 AM
When gotten the mins....Gooden is actually a pretty solid player. He did very well in Dallas while Dampier was injured

Kegboy
07-01-2010, 12:20 PM
Just looked at his profile. Hard to believe he's only 28. He also puts up better numbers than Villanueva, and with this deal he's still cheaper.

Hammond's doing some interesting, albeit unusual things. Pressure will be on Scott to make it work, but Jennings is the ace in his pocket. Getting guys on the same page is easy when they're getting the rock, and Brandon will do that.

Justin Tyme
07-01-2010, 01:49 PM
I don't understrand what Hammond is doing, especially considering re-signing John Salmon after getting Maggette. Then picked up CDR , while drafting Sanders and Hobson. Why keep Carlos Delfino who has a 3.5 mil team option?

odeez
07-01-2010, 01:59 PM
I have no idea why they locked him for five years? :rolleyes:

SycamoreKen
07-01-2010, 02:03 PM
What has Gooden really done to deserve this money? He may put up numbers, but his teams do not win. He had chances in Dallas and SA with good teams and they moved him along. He gets this and people are saying Richard Jefferson can't get money?

count55
07-01-2010, 02:16 PM
What has Gooden really done to deserve this money?

http://www.blogcdn.com/nba.fanhouse.com/media/2008/10/drew-gooden-425mc-103108.jpg

Kegboy
07-03-2010, 01:37 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5349332

Sources: Bucks to re-sign G Salmons

<HR SIZE=1 width="100%" noShade>By Chad Ford
ESPN.com

<!-- template inline -->The Milwaukee Bucks have verbally agreed to a five-year, $39 million deal with free-agent guard John Salmons, according to league sources. Sources say that the last year of the deal is only partially guaranteed. <!--NEW:-->

Salmons exercised a player opt-out on his contract last week. The Bucks responded by making deals for Corey Maggette and Chris Douglas-Roberts on draft day. It was widely assumed that the two deals were a signal the team was moving on.

But this development suggests the Bucks remain serious about putting together a team that could make another run at the playoffs.

The Bucks on Thursday came to a verbal agreement with free agent Drew Gooden worth $32 million over five years.

By locking up Gooden and Salmons, the Bucks have 11 players under contract and will be a back-up point guard away from finishing their summer's work.

The 6-foot-6 Salmons arrived in a trade with Chicago last season and played a critical role in helping the Bucks reach the playoffs for the first time in four years. Salmons carried the Bucks down the stretch, taking pressure off rookie point guard Brandon Jennings and center Andrew Bogut and averaging 19.9 points per game.

More telling, the Bucks went 22-8 with him and took Atlanta to seven games in the first round.

Sources say the Bucks are determined not to take a step back after winning the sixth playoff seed in the East last season. The team believes it has two young stars in Brandon Jennings and Andrew Bogut and are determined to surround them with veterans who are happy and willing to take a supporting role.

The Bucks, aiming for something in the neighborhood of 45 to 50 wins this season, believe that Gooden provides them with some much-needed rebounding in the paint and that the combination of Maggette, Salmons and Douglas-Roberts gives them potent scorers on the wings for 2010-11.

Then next summer, when Michael Redd's $18 million comes off the books, the team will be in a position to add another piece or two to the puzzle.

Chad Ford covers the NBA for ESPN.com. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Kegboy
07-03-2010, 01:49 AM
So, let's see.

Jennings/TBD/Kramer (:pray: )
Salmons/Redd/CDR
Magette/Delfino/Hobson
Gooden/Mbah a Moute/Sanders
Bogut/Ilyasova/Jordan

Not to shabby, especially when you look at their roster a year ago. They've still got Redd's contract to trade, or more likely, let expire and still be a player next year.