PDA

View Full Version : Spurs catch a ginormous break- Jefferson opts out

JB24
06-30-2010, 07:33 PM
Wow! Terrible decision by RJ.

Breaking @Spurs News: Richard Jefferson has just opted out of the final year of his contract .. would have guaranteed him $15.2 Mill

https://twitter.com/ksatnews

Day-V
06-30-2010, 07:34 PM
Must be nice to say your boss, "Eh, you can go ahead and keep that $15 million you're going to pay me this year. I want more."

xBulletproof
06-30-2010, 07:37 PM
There's 2 things he's probably thinking ...

1 - With all these teams having cap space, he believes one of them will be desperate after all the big names are gone and he can be an expensive consolation prize.

2 - And/or he believes he new CBA structure is going to screw the players so badly that he'll make up the difference in salary next year over the long run of the contract by signing during the current CBA.

And he might be right, but it's a hell of a risk.

Dr. Awesome
06-30-2010, 07:41 PM
...and the rich get richer.

BornReady
06-30-2010, 07:43 PM
wish Ford did that :(

CableKC
06-30-2010, 07:45 PM
WTF is wrong with RJeff? He ain't going to get $15 mil this year on the FA Market. I guess he must have something lined up...

Marlin
06-30-2010, 07:49 PM
He's out of his mind if he thinks he can make that money even in two years, now. How come we never catch these breaks?

Maybe he'll just resign there but at a lower price, basically a pay cut? May be reasonable, to help the team get some FA, but since it's probably not the case, the Spurs just got insanely lucky, and with nice cap space :(

odeez
06-30-2010, 07:51 PM
Whaaaaaaaaaaaa? Spurs are just a blessed franchise, catching another break!

JB24
Actually, looking at their salaries, they're over the cap and now need a starter and depth at SF. If the rumors are true and they're giving Splitter the MLE, a Parker/Hill deal may be back on the table given our sudden plethora of wings.

sportfireman
wish Ford did that :(

TJ isn't dumb

Young
06-30-2010, 08:00 PM
There's 2 things he's probably thinking ...

1 - With all these teams having cap space, he believes one of them will be desperate after all the big names are gone and he can be an expensive consolation prize.

2 - And/or he believes he new CBA structure is going to screw the players so badly that he'll make up the difference in salary next year over the long run of the contract by signing during the current CBA.

And he might be right, but it's a hell of a risk.

I agree with your two points there.

I don't really think it's a big risk for him. He is healthy, productive, and right in the prime of his career. RJ will still get paid.

No he won't get $15 million a year to start out. However there is more money to go around then there are top flight free agents. So a guy like RJ can get paid big because team(s) will panic when Lebron, Wade, and Bosh don't sign with them.

Unclebuck
06-30-2010, 08:11 PM
would you rather have 4 years guarenteed at 28 million or 1 year at 15 million

Day-V
06-30-2010, 08:13 PM
Actually, looking at their salaries, they're over the cap and now need a starter and depth at SF. If the rumors are true and they're giving Splitter the MLE, a Parker/Hill deal may be back on the table given our sudden plethora of wings.

JB24 is on to something here.....I just crunched the numbers, and with RJ opting out, it puts the Spurs at $54,616,099 for the next season with the Salary Cap being $56,000,000. Not to mention, they now only have 10 players on their current roster.

This could work out great for the Pacers if we play our cards right and San Antonio is willing to play ball.

dal9
06-30-2010, 08:20 PM
the only thing I can think of is Pop hung him out over a balcony, Suge Knight style...

purdue101
06-30-2010, 08:24 PM
I would almost guarantee the Spurs gave RJ an under the table deal to opt out. Opting out would give them money to sign Splitter and a MLE FA. They will then reup RJ at above market value for multiple years (something like 5 yr / 40 mil).

MrSparko
06-30-2010, 08:27 PM
Everyone talks about how some of these LeBron sweepstakes teams are going to be left simply holding a bag of money with no superstars to show for it. Do not underestimate the potential stupidity of one of those teams. (Or maybe the next CBA is going to be Reaaally bad for players, and he wants a MLE contract this year).

Dr. Awesome
06-30-2010, 08:29 PM
TJ isn't dumb

Could have fooled me with how he runs on offense.

That was mean. -_-

Day-V
06-30-2010, 08:30 PM
Could have fooled me with how he runs on offense.

That was mean. -_-

Truth hurts.

pwee31
06-30-2010, 08:30 PM
Jefferson is an idiot. If a team pays him anywhere close to that, then they're just as idiotic as Jefferson!

Kegboy
06-30-2010, 08:31 PM
Must have been scared James Anderson would take all his minutes.

Anyone want to give me odds on Seth's avatar being a picture of RC Buford by January?

Day-V
06-30-2010, 08:32 PM
Anyone want to give me odds on Seth's avatar being a picture of RC Buford by January?

3:2?

Taterhead
06-30-2010, 08:35 PM
IDK, this doesn't open up any cap space for them, and they lost their best trading chip as a 15 million expirer. So I don't see how it necessarily helps them.

Kegboy
06-30-2010, 08:37 PM
3:2?

Done. If I lose, Uncle Buck has to eat one and a half of your shoes. (Which I'm sure is completely lost on you.)

duke dynamite
06-30-2010, 08:38 PM
Thats what we in the tech world call an I.D.10.T. error.

Trader Joe
06-30-2010, 08:40 PM
Ok, maybe Jefferson wants to win? He resigns with SPurs on the cheap while also giving them a chance to sign more talent. He's supposed to be a smart dude isn't he? I bet he's invested his money well, and now wants a ring.

woowoo
06-30-2010, 08:41 PM
Wow! Terrible decision by RJ

https://twitter.com/ksatnews

wow.... he will not get 15m on the open market.... particularly this year.

xBulletproof
06-30-2010, 08:43 PM
I think some people lack foresight on this one.

woowoo
06-30-2010, 08:43 PM
Whaaaaaaaaaaaa? Spurs are just a blessed franchise, catching another break!

They sure are, .. the Lord smiles on that team every day of the year...

BornReady
06-30-2010, 08:44 PM
Ok, maybe Jefferson wants to win? He resigns with SPurs on the cheap while also giving them a chance to sign more talent. He's supposed to be a smart dude isn't he? I bet he's invested his money well, and now wants a ring.

thats actually what I was thinking. I mean come on now guys. It's not like we all need 15 mil to feed our families...

Day-V
06-30-2010, 08:46 PM
thats actually what I was thinking. I mean come on now guys. It's not like we all need 15 mil to feed our families...

Latrell Sprewell begs to differ......

woowoo
06-30-2010, 08:47 PM
I think some people lack foresight on this one.

Unless he is planning on helping the Spurs out to sign another player... this is a dumb move. He is 30 years old and probably in the lower "teens" of priority FA's this year. Unless he has a suitor lined up he is taking a "gigantic" risk.

Foresight is without doubt saying the CBA will not be player friendly the next time around, so I do not really see your angle...

MrSparko
06-30-2010, 08:54 PM
Unless he is planning on helping the Spurs out to sign another player... this is a dumb move. He is 30 years old and probably in the lower "teens" of priority FA's this year. Unless he has a suitor lined up he is taking a "gigantic" risk.

Foresight is without doubt saying the CBA will not be player friendly the next time around, so I do not really see your angle...

If it's going to be that bad why is he dumb for getting a new contract now? Before the CBA?

woowoo
06-30-2010, 08:58 PM
If it's going to be that bad why is he dumb for getting a new contract now? Before the CBA?

Do you really think Richard Jefferson is going to get anywhere near the money he "was" guaranteed this season? I do not... The big 5 will get paid and maybe a few more, after that.. I think teams are going to really get tight.

woowoo
06-30-2010, 09:01 PM
I even think Paul Pierce is taking a "huge" risk.... If I were the Celtics I let him walk at 32/33 years of age if he is looking for a long term deal. PP showed "major" signs of slowing down this last season. The Celtics are fools if they sign him to a max long term contract.

If I were Boston I let Allen and PP walk and go hard after Bron, JJ, and Bosh.

MrSparko
06-30-2010, 09:05 PM
Do you really think Richard Jefferson is going to get anywhere near the money he "was" guaranteed this season? I do not... The big 5 will get paid and maybe a few more, after that.. I think teams are going to really get tight.

No, I would never do what Jefferson is doing. I'm just saying I don't think he's planning on getting 17 million from anyone a year. Maybe he thinks 10 million for four years is better than 5 million for 3 years after the lock.

I just made all those numbers completely up in 30 seconds so I'm sure they don't make much sense. I agree for the most part that Jefferson is doing something a little too risky and dangerous.

xBulletproof
06-30-2010, 09:07 PM

Lets say this year he gets .... 8 or 9 million for the first year, and a 5 year contract that ends around 12 million.

If the new CBA makes the max contracts 10-12 million, and 3 or 4 years max as well (all numbers I've heard thrown out as possibilities), then by being a FA next season, he probably would struggle to get 6 or 7 million for 3 or 4 years.

Let's just say ...

This year:
Year 1 - 8 million
Year 2 - 9 million
Year 3 - 10 million
Year 4 - 11 million
Year 5 - 12 million
======
5 years - 50 million

Next year -

Year 1 - 7 million
Year 2 - 8 million
Year 3 - 9 million
Year 4 - 10 million
======
4 years - 34 million

It's pretty simple, really. Is it a risk? Obviously. However in my pretend scenario I think he did the right thing. And that's cutting it closer than it would really. I doubt under the new CBA that teams will be capable of giving out 15-18 percent raises which is what I gave him under that scenario. So I was pretty generous in making this less obvious that it was a good idea to opt out. Against my own argument, and it still comes out as a good decision for Jefferson, if he can get a good contract in this FA market.

I think he's got a very good shot.

woowoo
06-30-2010, 09:10 PM
No, I would never do what Jefferson is doing. I'm just saying I don't think he's planning on getting 17 million from anyone a year. Maybe he thinks 10 million for four years is better than 5 million for 3 years after the lock.

I just made all those numbers completely up in 30 seconds so I'm sure they don't make much sense. I agree for the most part that Jefferson is doing something a little too risky and dangerous.

I understand what you are saying, but the economy is really bad now and the I5m RJ just passed on "may" potentially be the the total amount of his "new" contract 3 years for 15m.

I just think RJ will regret this badly. He is not and nerer really was a "great" player.... but if Bosh can max out maybe RJ can too.. heelehe..:-p

MrSparko
06-30-2010, 09:11 PM
Yeah, like I said I'm no gambling man, but....if Troy Murphy can get his salary...

Ozwalt72
06-30-2010, 09:36 PM
Well, since he avoided that 2 million (WOW) dollar wedding he has enough for rent money. He thinks that with a new contract and a new city, maybe he'll finally find what he's been looking for all along.

Love.

/wtf

joew8302
06-30-2010, 09:39 PM
Yeah, Unclebuck is right and whoever said people lack forsight know what they are talking about. TJ would never do this because he knows he won't have a big payday no matter what the CBA is.

Jefferson is looking to the future. Less money now could be a better payday 4 years from now. The new CBA in this economy is scaring a lot of players. They are looking for years and one fat payday before what will almost certainly be a downsizing of some degree.

Trophy
06-30-2010, 09:40 PM
:spitout:

NappyRootz
06-30-2010, 09:56 PM

Thats correct. They do have much more room under the tax threshold however.

I think that they will move Parker probably to the Knicks in a s/t deal for David Lee. They could get then use their differences in salaries to go after a new small forward.

Its a great break for them regardless to get away from RJeff.

graphic-er
06-30-2010, 10:22 PM
RJ = Soft.

ChristianDudley
06-30-2010, 10:42 PM
imo, I don't think he turned it down because he thinks he is worth more than that, it is because he is actually trying to help the Spurs out by eventually taking less money so that the Spurs can 1) get under the salary cap and 2) make the conditions better for filling out their roster

MLB007
06-30-2010, 11:19 PM

There is no scenario where I wouldn't take the 1 year at 15 million. If you only want to play 2 more years you've got 1/2 the money after 1 year. And can sign another 1 year contract for a higher dollar amount than they would want to pay for a long term contract. (per year)
If he thinks he can play 4 years, then he should easily make more taking the 1 year at 15. Only need to make 4.3 mil each of the following 3 years to = the 4 year deal.

#31MillerTime
06-30-2010, 11:23 PM
Could we try to get Jefferson? He could be good for our team maybe Idk.

15th parallel
06-30-2010, 11:25 PM
Could we try to get Jefferson? He could be good for our team maybe Idk.

I think that's not a good idea. I mean, we have almost half of our roster at 2-3 spot (or maybe I'm exaggerating here).

15th parallel
06-30-2010, 11:29 PM
Whether his decision to opt out is good for him or not, the Spurs are still the big winners of this.

Foul on Smits
06-30-2010, 11:46 PM
You guys really underestimate the stupidity of NBA GM's. He's gunna get paid. I would bet my life on this guy getting a 4 year 36 mill deal from someone.

vnzla81
07-01-2010, 12:05 AM
He knows he does not fit in SA and that is the reason why he is opting out, he can also choose were he wants to go and get a long term contract

Foul on Smits
07-01-2010, 12:06 AM
This is a league where the Clippers once paid Tim Thomas a 4 year 24 million contract in 2006 ( about 4 past his prime ).

Charlie Villanueva got a 4 year 31m contract. Charlie Villanueva ....

Golden St. paid Corey Maggete 3 years 31 million....

The Kings once paid Beno Udrih 4 years 26 million. I dont even know who Beno Udrih is.

Eric Dampier has made a career out of robbing GM's.

How bout Luke Waltons 4 years 22 million. Oh yah!

DeSagana Diop got a 5 year 31 million contact. Go look up his numbers. Try not to **** yourself laughing. I'm not buying you new underwear.

The Knicks have paid all sorts of players a ton of money. Larry Hughes, Eddy Curry, Jalen Rose. The Larry Hughes contract was special.

Trust me. Richard Jefferson is going to get paid by someone. I guarantee you this conversation went like this.

Agent : Hey Rich, so you have the option to opt out and get a longer deal or take the 15 million.

R.Jefferson : 15 millions alot to walk away from.

Agent : Well the Clippers and Knicks have alot of cap room

R.Jefferson: OPT OUT OPT OUT OPT OUT OPT OUT OPT OUT!

Day-V
07-01-2010, 12:46 AM

Awesome name. If you can get an avatar of him looking at an official with his hands up and that "What'd I do?" expression on face, it would be priceless.

SycamoreKen
07-01-2010, 12:49 AM
Jefferson really heard it from the fans down here for not living up to the billing he got after the trade. I think part of it is long term $ and part is getting out of a bad situation for him. If they do trade Parker/Hill for a swing, they still need a point guard. There are no others after those 2 of substance. I don't see the Lee trade happening with Splitter coming in.

woowoo
07-01-2010, 01:37 AM
Lets say this year he gets .... 8 or 9 million for the first year, and a 5 year contract that ends around 12 million.

If the new CBA makes the max contracts 10-12 million, and 3 or 4 years max as well (all numbers I've heard thrown out as possibilities), then by being a FA next season, he probably would struggle to get 6 or 7 million for 3 or 4 years.

Let's just say ...

This year:
Year 1 - 8 million
Year 2 - 9 million
Year 3 - 10 million
Year 4 - 11 million
Year 5 - 12 million
======
5 years - 50 million

Next year -

Year 1 - 7 million
Year 2 - 8 million
Year 3 - 9 million
Year 4 - 10 million
======
4 years - 34 million

It's pretty simple, really. Is it a risk? Obviously. However in my pretend scenario I think he did the right thing. And that's cutting it closer than it would really. I doubt under the new CBA that teams will be capable of giving out 15-18 percent raises which is what I gave him under that scenario. So I was pretty generous in making this less obvious that it was a good idea to opt out. Against my own argument, and it still comes out as a good decision for Jefferson, if he can get a good contract in this FA market.

I think he's got a very good shot.

You are assuming contracts will remain to be "guaranteed".... I think those days will be coming to an end. That is the "major" reason the NBA franchises are in the bind they are in. The NFL is a model I totally think that the NBA will follow. A hard cap is also on the way.

Hard cap, and no/limited guaranteed contracts.. if the owners push for it they will get it.

JMO of course.. ;)

owl
07-01-2010, 09:10 AM
You are assuming contracts will remain to be "guaranteed".... I think those days will be coming to an end. That is the "major" reason the NBA franchises are in the bind they are in. The NFL is a model I totally think that the NBA will follow. A hard cap is also on the way.

Hard cap, and no/limited guaranteed contracts.. if the owners push for it they will get it.

JMO of course.. ;)

I also see a lock-out/work stopage on the way.

Unclebuck
07-01-2010, 09:42 AM
There was a short Yahoo article this morning that Pop has been working out with jefferson and perhaps jeff opted out so that he can save the Spurs some money next year in return for more guaranteed money longterm.

It is on Hoopshype,

Tom White
07-02-2010, 09:31 AM

But that assumes after his one year at $15M, no team would sign him to a three year $13M total contract. That is only a bit above $4M per year. That is not even MLE level money. I think a number of teams would sign him for more than that.

If he stuck around for his one year at $15M, I'm sure someone would give him a three year deal worth at least $10M per year. I would not want to pay him that, but I think someone will.

Unclebuck
07-02-2010, 09:37 AM
Appears from what I read this morning on Hoopshype - that the Spurs will re-sign jefferson

Tom - you are probably correct, but if there is a long lockout and the new CBA is very restrictive, or if he has a very serious career ending type injury. Not suggesting any of those three things are likely, but any of the three is possible, so the question is would you rather have guarenteed money over the long term.

I'm trying to see if I can put this into terms that makes sense to normal people. If someone said to me you can have a job making $100,000 per year - but no guarantee, no contract, you could be fired tomorrow. Normal jobs most of us have.

or would you rather have a guaranteed job for the next 10 years, you have a contract, if the company folds, you still get paid, but the downside is you only get $60,000 per year or $600,000 over the 10 year period.

Which would you take? Not sure depends if you have a family, if you have confidence in your abilities.

GO!!!!!
07-02-2010, 09:59 AM
like a fore mentioned poster....

I think we all lack some insight here, as UB just noted, if some one opts out like that you'd think that had a decent understanding of where the future was and some one had advised of the future...

TJ's not opting out because he knows we have no intention of signing him to a new longer deal... a major difference....