PDA

View Full Version : Bird going to try to trade George?

#31MillerTime
06-30-2010, 04:46 PM
Bird says we had things we could've offered but decided to wait until summer. Does this mean that if Paul George doesnt show the best of his skills he could possibly be traded?

QuickRelease
06-30-2010, 08:54 PM
Not necessarily. I actually think the Pacers best opportunity for trades will come closer to the trade deadline.

Day-V
06-30-2010, 08:57 PM
Anything is possible, but I highly doubt it. I would think the expiring contracts would be the first to go, followed by Brandon "The Paint-Area is Lava!" Rush.

pacers74
06-30-2010, 09:03 PM
Maybe he is waiting to see how George and Stephenson look before he decides if Rush or D.Jones are expendable.

joew8302
06-30-2010, 09:43 PM
I wouldn't completely rule it out. If it is for Collison I would do it if thats what it came to.

Ozwalt72
06-30-2010, 09:45 PM
Anyone is moveable in the right deal. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Bird values George right below Granger and Hibbert though.

Trophy
06-30-2010, 09:50 PM
I doubt he will now that we've drafted him.

I think Paul is gonna be given numerous starts at SG and see if he's helping us win.

troyc11a
06-30-2010, 09:58 PM
I wouldn't completely rule it out. If it is for Collison I would do it if thats what it came to.
Why would you give up a potential star for a decent backup point guard? There are many Collison type players out there who the P's could get without giving up major talent don't you think?

I am not against moving George for the right deal. I just wouldnt move him for a player who has 1/3 of the value. If we wait, we can keep the talent and pick up a decent pg next year - Tony Parker/Mo Williams etc..

Sparhawk
06-30-2010, 10:11 PM
Anything is possible, but I highly doubt it. I would think the expiring contracts would be the first to go, followed by Brandon "The Paint-Area is Lava!" Rush.

Very creative. I give that a 8 out of 10. :laugh:

Sparhawk
06-30-2010, 10:14 PM
I'm sure Paul is off the table unless Bird is blown away by a deal. He would have traded the pick if he felt he already had a good deal.

I would love to get Sessions for Rush + Filler and throw in a 2nd round pick.

If the deal for Rush for George Hill is still available, I'd do that too. You'd think since Jefferson opted out and if he signs elsewhere, it seems the Spurs might need a SG.

ChristianDudley
06-30-2010, 10:23 PM
I would doubt that at this time Bird would trade George unless the deal was too good to turn down, but then again, Granger has been in trade rumors already, so who knows what could possibly happen if the right deal came around.

MillerTime
06-30-2010, 10:25 PM
I doubt he will now that we've drafted him.

I think Paul is gonna be given numerous starts at SG and see if he's helping us win.

not necessarily. We drafted Bayless and traded him mins later. We drafted the next best talent, not what we needed.

Dont take Bird's comment seriously. Almost everything he says is so vague for interpretation that you'll loose your mind

tadscout
06-30-2010, 10:42 PM
I would doubt that at this time Bird would trade George unless the deal was too good to turn down, but then again, Granger has been in trade rumors already, so who knows what could possibly happen if the right deal came around.

The Granger rumors which have been proven to be made up... so far we have yet heard a legit Pacers are looking/ entertaining to trade Granger rumor.

Trophy
06-30-2010, 10:59 PM
not necessarily. We drafted Bayless and traded him mins later. We drafted the next best talent, not what we needed.

Dont take Bird's comment seriously. Almost everything he says is so vague for interpretation that you'll loose your mind

Yeah, but we drafted and traded Bayless instantly.

Now we've had Paul for about week now and Bird seems to be attached to him and is excited for what he can bring.

Noodle
06-30-2010, 11:17 PM

Many seem put off by Bird's way of saying nothing, but I think all GM's do this. It should be expected. He's following a professional business edicate that all of them use.

CircleCity3318
06-30-2010, 11:35 PM
Very true they would need another small forward but Rush is an inconsistent sg. But If any coach could get him out of that mode it's coach Pop, to bad he's not coaching the Pacers.

RamBo_Lamar
06-30-2010, 11:38 PM
Man-O-Man!!

I thought I put millertime on ignore a long time ago...

:rant:

Day-V
06-30-2010, 11:42 PM
Yeah, but we drafted and traded Bayless instantly.

Now we've had Paul for about week now and Bird seems to be attached to him and is excited for what he can bring.

I didn't understand this post as first but after my stupid pills wore off and I finally came to, I realized that yeah, I'm in agreement with this.

BornReady
06-30-2010, 11:45 PM
Doubt Bird trades George. He specifically said in plain English that we drafted George for us in his press conference.

#31MillerTime
06-30-2010, 11:47 PM
Doubt Bird trades George. He specifically said in plain English that we drafted George for us in his press conference.

True but on RealGm on the 27th he said I guess we'll wait for this summer. And Im guessing that means if Paul doesnt do very well he will trade him off somewhere.

tadscout
07-01-2010, 12:01 AM
True but on RealGm on the 27th he said I guess we'll wait for this summer. And Im guessing that means if Paul doesnt do very well he will trade him off somewhere.

That we would wait for a point guard... in no way would you draft a kid on potential and only give hive a couple months to show you everything :hmm::-p

15th parallel
07-01-2010, 01:10 AM

I don't think LB will look that much in the results in the summer league just to see how George's (or any of the rookies, for that matter) performance will fare up in the NBA. I mean, Derrick Rose didn't have a good summer league during his time but look at his performance now.

I think Summer League is just a warmup for our rookies, and not really much a performance indicator.

TrueBlue372
07-01-2010, 03:07 AM
I find it interesting someone brought up Bayless. I believe had we kept him, we would not be in such a dire need for a point guard. Though many people consider him a combo guard, I believe that he would have transitioned quite well into the position.

Hillman's 'Fro'
07-01-2010, 07:27 AM
Trophy-

Bird may be 'attached' to George to some degree. But he's certainly
not attached to him in the same (and I'm being intentionally diplomatic
here) ridiculously extrapolative manner (ie, calling him a future star,
untouchable, etc) that some on PD seem to be.

If a deal comes along to pickup a 'better than average', starting PG
that includes George heading elsewhere, Bird would be a fool to pass
it up.

owl
07-01-2010, 09:39 AM
http://www.realgm.com/src_feature_pieces/915/20100609/draft_report_paul_george_of_fresno_state/

NuffSaid
07-01-2010, 03:09 PM
Unless the Pacers would get a very dynamic player to fill one of three positions, PG, SG or PF, I seriously doubt Bird would trade Paul George.

As I mentioned in the "...Reluctant to trade Rush and McRoberts (http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?t=54361)" thread (post #23), it doesn't make sense to move either of these players unless you receive a someone who can fill the void at either SG or PF. George would likely fill in nicely at SG. So, that could make BRush expendable. Besides, I don't think JOB would have nearly as much of a problem getting George motivated as he does Rush. I've seen a few highlights of George's college games and he looks much more ready to play in the NBA than Brandon Rush did when he was drafted. I like his shooting touch and how he's always attacking the basket while in the paint. Plus, he can create his own shot.

It's probably much too early to determine just yet, but I'd be willing to bet George's development goes along much faster than BRush's. I see that much of an upside to this kid from what little I've seen of him. And I rarely get latched onto a player I've never seen play at the NBA level before, but with this kid (and Hansborough), I did even before Rookie Summer League play began. So, if I'm Bird, I'd part with BRush long before giving up George.