PDA

View Full Version : Pacers add Vitaly Potapenko (?) to the coaching staff.

microwave_oven
06-30-2010, 03:22 PM
According to Mike Wells: http://twitter.com/Wells222

microwave_oven
06-30-2010, 03:23 PM
Haven't heard that name in a while. I remember him as a bit of a journeyman as a player. Anyone have any insight on what he might bring as a coach?

BornReady
06-30-2010, 03:24 PM
thats a head scratcher

Unclebuck
06-30-2010, 03:24 PM
He is a great three point shooter, he will be able to teach Roy Hibbert to shoot the three.

I love his last name. Some pronounced it just like it looks, others pronounced it Potopico - which I think is correct.

Ozwalt72
06-30-2010, 03:26 PM
Big guy, playing weight of 285.....shot a career three % of .167.

Averaged 6.5 points and 4.5 rebounds in his career. Is this our big man coach?

Granville
06-30-2010, 03:27 PM
He is a great three point shooter, he will be able to teach Roy Hibbert to shoot the three.

Now Buck, it's not nice to tease.

microwave_oven

I love his last name. Some pronounced it just like it looks, others pronounced it Potopico - which I think is the correct.

Does anyone have any REAL insight?

maragin
He was an assistant coach for the Ft Wayne Mad Ants last I heard. Is this the big man coach?

microwave_oven
06-30-2010, 03:29 PM
Was O'B the coach when Potato played for Boston?

btowncolt
06-30-2010, 03:30 PM
Why not?

tadscout
06-30-2010, 03:31 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitaly_Potapenko

Unclebuck
06-30-2010, 03:32 PM

Why? No one had any real insight when McCarty was hired. All anyone said was that he was a three point shooter so the assumption was made that he would get the pacers to shoot more threes.

I remember when he played for the cavs. A pretty good player. Nice face-up jumpshot to about 18 ft, physical player, somewhat limited, but seemed to be a hard worker

And for the record he only took 6 three point shots during his 15 year career. wow 15 year career

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/potapvi01.html

tadscout
06-30-2010, 03:34 PM
Seems like another 'safe' choice for JoB... Why would he hire someone that could challenge his authority/ job ala Lester Conner... or someone really competent like Sam Mitchell (b4 he joined the nets as an assistant).

BornReady
06-30-2010, 03:35 PM

I mean what is there to say? He stank it up in the NBA and is an assistant coach for a d-league team...

vnzla81
06-30-2010, 03:36 PM
who cares? hopefully the "CLOWN" and all this guys would be gone at the end of the year

Ozwalt72
06-30-2010, 03:37 PM
I mean what is there to say? He stank it up in the NBA and is an assistant coach for a d-league team...

You'd be surprised at how many current NBA coaches "stank it up" in their playing careers.

DocHolliday
06-30-2010, 03:37 PM
How about hiring a guy who was known for playing defense in the low post? :hmm:

microwave_oven
06-30-2010, 03:38 PM

Okay anyone that went to a Mad Antz game? Seen his body of work as an assistant? Or maybe someone could give some info on how bigs developed under his coaching?

MillerTime
06-30-2010, 03:39 PM
I dont even know what to say...

Unclebuck
06-30-2010, 03:46 PM
Seems like another 'safe' choice for JoB... Why would he hire someone that could challenge his authority/ job ala Lester Conner... or someone really competent like Sam Mitchell (b4 he joined the nets as an assistant).

Lets wait and see when the entire coaching staff is assembled. Not sure this is the last new hire

Brad8888
06-30-2010, 03:53 PM
He is also a significant player in the history of Conseco Fieldhouse. He was the first NBA player to make a field goal there in the first Pacers home game of the inaugural season of the Fieldhouse.

dal9
06-30-2010, 03:54 PM
according to wikipedia, he was drafted right before Kobe Bryant, but right after Todd Fuller.

Therefore, he is better than Kobe, but not as good as Todd Fuller.

QED.

BornReady
06-30-2010, 03:57 PM
http://hoopshype.com/players/vitaly_potapenko.htm

hoopshype can give us some insight :D

edit: also, the mad ants appear to suck

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Wayne_Mad_Ants

imawhat
06-30-2010, 04:05 PM
I remember him being a load in the post for the Cavs. I always thought he was better than his stats showed...or should I say I thought he should've had better stats given his ability.

Maybe he's good for the big men? I don't know.

Pingu
06-30-2010, 04:06 PM
Maybe the "Ukraine Train" will take JO'B far from Indianapolis...

ChristianDudley
06-30-2010, 04:07 PM
...........................smh.................... ............

I don't get this O'Brien guy...he is now using the concept of hiring his former players as assistant coaches, no matter if they were ever good or ever had a big knowledge of the game apparently. No knock on Vitaly, but really, why did O'Brien bring him in to be an assistant other than Vitaly being one of his former players while being the head coach of the Celtics?? I thought we had a pretty good coaching staff under O'Brien previously (EXCEPT for...O'Brien), and now it is just going to trash...no knocks on any of the guys that are now under O'Brien, but I just don't get this.

Anthem
06-30-2010, 04:10 PM
I'm cornfused.

vnzla81
06-30-2010, 04:12 PM
...........................smh.................... ............

I don't get this O'Brien guy...he is now using the concept of hiring his former players as assistant coaches, no matter if they were ever good or ever had a big knowledge of the game apparently. No knock on Vitaly, but really, why did O'Brien bring him in to be an assistant other than Vitaly being one of his former players while being the head coach of the Celtics?? I thought we had a pretty good coaching staff under O'Brien previously (EXCEPT for...O'Brien), and now it is just going to trash...no knocks on any of the guys that are now under O'Brien, but I just don't get this.

I think the reason is that everybody under him needs to be worse than him or have less experience so he can look better

Unclebuck
06-30-2010, 04:14 PM
See Peck, you remember him, and he was a nice player, really knew how to throw his weight around

ChristianDudley
06-30-2010, 04:14 PM
my thinking exactly^^

I guess he wants to screw the whole franchise over before he gets ousted.

pacergod2
06-30-2010, 04:23 PM
He is bringing in lame duck assistants for one year because they all want NBA coaching experience. He is giving the opportunity to good people. They can suck as bad as they want or be as great as they want because its only going to be for one year.

Brad8888
06-30-2010, 04:27 PM
Maybe we can talk Bill Russell into coming in as the coach for Roy specifically, and McHale can come in as a combination team consultant and assistant GM in preparation for the Pacers replacing Morway next year.

I just wonder when our uniform color will change to either lime green or possibly a dark hunter green, and if the players will be forced to wear black shoes? I know, maybe we can become the first corporately sponsored franchise in the NBA and wear John Deere green and gold and change the name of the team to the John Deere Green Machine!

PacerGuy
06-30-2010, 04:33 PM
He is bringing in lame duck assistants for one year because they all want NBA coaching experience. He is giving the opportunity to good people. They can suck as bad as they want or be as great as they want because its only going to be for one year.

THIS!

Plus these asst.'s will be loyal to him, not pushing their own agenda or hoping for his job. This will help keep the team on 1 page.
It is what it is: Cheap, Temporary, Servicable - nothing more, nothing less...

OakMoses
06-30-2010, 04:33 PM
Russian players, from the Soviet era, are typically very well-schooled fundamentally. I remember reading an article about how Kirilenko was basically pulled away from his family and sent to a special basketball school starting at age 13 or so. Potapenko probably received the same training. So I would guess that he'd probably be very well equipped to teach the low post game.

#31MillerTime
06-30-2010, 04:39 PM
I think this could be good for our team. I mean the man can SHOOT the 3 so maybe he'll be able to teach our PG's and SG's how to shoot better.

naptownmenace
06-30-2010, 04:52 PM
He played for Wright State University in the MAC and he was a really good college player who went on to have a respectable NBA career. He was a lot like Rasho Nesterovic in that he was fundamentally sound but not very athletic or great at any one thing. He was tougher than Rasho and he wasn't afraid to mix it up/throw his weight around.

I'm actually surprised to hear that he was even coaching in the DL. He's probably the last guy that I would've guess would be an assistant coach. I'm even more surprised that he's going to be coaching on the Pacers sideline.

Trophy
06-30-2010, 04:55 PM
It's not a terrible hiring, but I'm not understanding why JOB would choose him.

I just don't understand JOB.

EDIT: At least Potapenko wasn't a 3-point shooter.

Dr. Awesome
06-30-2010, 05:00 PM

I'm not a fan of O'Brien at all, but I actually like the fact that he is trying to help out his former players. He has to know hes gone at the end of the year, so he is giving his old players some coaching experience. Granted, I don't think its a good thing that they are learning under O'Brien, but I still like the fact that he is helping them out.

Day-V
06-30-2010, 05:17 PM
I do believe ol' Potato was the first person ever to score a bucket at Conseco Fieldhouse.

Peck
06-30-2010, 05:25 PM
See Peck, you remember him, and he was a nice player, really knew how to throw his weight around

Oh heck yea I remember him.

I know there is a lot of consternation about anything involving our current coach and staff so it is understandable for people make fun of or question any hiring we do as long as JOB is here.

However having said that I want to say this.

I think this could be a better pick up than people think.

I expect that he will be of great benefit to Tyler on defense becuase while Vitaly was not a post defender in the traditional sense of a shot blocker he was a very good post defender because he used strength and leverage and frankly weight.

Solid player who was fundementally sound if not spectacular.

Don't know if this will translate into coaching or not but if he can get our big players to understand position and strength then I'm all for it.

It sure as hell beats Dan Burke being our big man coach.

Kstat
06-30-2010, 05:26 PM
Vitaly can speak fluent English? All this time, I never knew.

tadscout
06-30-2010, 05:29 PM

I know there is a lot of consternation about anything involving our current coach and staff so it is understandable for people make fun of or question any hiring we do as long as JOB is here.

However having said that I want to say this.

I think this could be a better pick up than people think.

I expect that he will be of great benefit to Tyler on defense becuase while Vitaly was not a post defender in the traditional sense of a shot blocker he was a very good post defender because he used strength and leverage and frankly weight.

Solid player who was fundementally sound if not spectacular.

Don't know if this will translate into coaching or not but if he can get our big players to understand position and strength then I'm all for it.

True I remember him being very smart/ fundamental and tough...

Peck
06-30-2010, 05:36 PM

He definately had an accent the last time I heard him speak (years ago btw) but yea he spoke English without any trouble and you could understand him.

Kegboy
06-30-2010, 06:01 PM
I'm fine with Vitaly, first BMC we've had since Aguirre.

That said, two rookie assistants isn't great. But as PG2 said, we're just filling space this year.

Bball
06-30-2010, 06:17 PM

You're assuming he wasn't brought in to work with the guards on the roster? McCarty can handle teaching the bigs how to shoot 3's....

idioteque
06-30-2010, 06:21 PM
Vitaly Potapenko...now that's a name I haven't heard in a long, long time.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/david.p.z.888/star_wars/pics/obi-wan_kenobi.jpg

Justin Tyme
06-30-2010, 06:28 PM

I didn't even realize the Pacers had a big man coach! It must be a top level GOV'T secret.

maragin
06-30-2010, 06:34 PM

From last year's summer league:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0zyZJFFlog#t=1m50s

Pacerblue
06-30-2010, 06:36 PM

I certainly hope so, if not less than that.

Day-V
06-30-2010, 06:41 PM
I didn't even realize the Pacers had a big man coach! It must be a top level GOV'T secret.

G-14 Classified.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v84/G4RAWZone/chris_tucker.jpg

Mr_Smith
06-30-2010, 06:42 PM
I remember Potapenko used give the pacers fits here and there

vnzla81
06-30-2010, 06:52 PM
Russian players, from the Soviet era, are typically very well-schooled fundamentally. I remember reading an article about how Kirilenko was basically pulled away from his family and sent to a special basketball school starting at age 13 or so. Potapenko probably received the same training. So I would guess that he'd probably be very well equipped to teach the low post game.

Don't get me wrong I like that the Pacers are getting somebody to teach Roy and the big guys some fundamentals the part that does not make sense to me is how this guy is going to teach them fundamentals when the head coach does not do anything that is fundamental? :hmm:

NapTonius Monk
06-30-2010, 07:18 PM
I mean what is there to say? He stank it up in the NBA and is an assistant coach for a d-league team...So, because he was physically limited as a player, that means he is incapable of being able to teach the game? Larry, Magic, Michael, Isiah. They were the best. How would we say they were as coaches/GM's? Being the best on the floor doesn't always equate to being the best on the sidelines.

BRushWithDeath
06-30-2010, 07:28 PM
Okay anyone that went to a Mad Antz game? Seen his body of work as an assistant?

I don't think either of those guys post on this board.

OakMoses
06-30-2010, 07:31 PM
****Mini-Rant Alert****

I'm really sick and tired of all the O'Brien bashing.

Ever since I joined this board a few years ago I've heard people complaining about the Pacers never hiring a big man coach. Now we hire a 6'10" dude who played 11 seasons in the NBA as an assistant coach, and, because we don't like the coach who hired him, he must be a complete idiot who barely speaks the language.

Also, since he wasn't an all-star as a player he must be a terrible coach. How many hall of fame players have gone on to have great coaching careers? Not very many.

Here's an interesting little tidbit for you. I'm going to post the stats of 2 players, I want you to tell me who they are and if they'd be good coaches or not:

Player #1 - 12 seasons, 807 games, 6.7 ppg, 4.3 rpg
Player #2 - 11 seasons, 610 games, 6.5 ppg, 4.5 rpg

Player #1 = Phil Jackson
Player #2 = Vitaly Potapenko

Yeah, that's right. I just said that Potapenko is the next Phil Jackson.

****End of Mini-rant****

I know there are a lot of valid criticisms of O'Brien. He's not a perfect coach by anybody's estimation. I just think it's a bit juvenile and sophomoric to believe that because you greatly dislike some aspect(s) of his coaching, that he's incapable of ever making a good decision.

p.s. If anybody knows how to make those niftly little banners that people put in their sigs, I'd proudly sport a Potapenko bandwagon one.

NapTonius Monk
06-30-2010, 08:08 PM
I don't think either of those guys post on this board.:laugh:

PacersFan1991
06-30-2010, 09:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZM2BYGHuzc

Who would have thought on that night, 14 years later he would be an assistant for the Indiana Pacers.....

06-30-2010, 09:34 PM

I love his last name. Some pronounced it just like it looks, others pronounced it Potopico - which I think is correct.

How I wish I were allowed to "thank" a post more than once. Perhaps that is what it will take to get Roy on the floor for more than 25 minutes.

tadscout
06-30-2010, 09:53 PM
I'm perfectly fine with Pota as an assistant coach... I just think they should have gotten a more experienced coach instead of McCarty (someone that could fill in for JoB)...

Pacers lock up coaching staff for next season

By Mike Wells
mike.wells@indystar.com

Indiana Pacers coach Jim O’Brien has completed his staff for next season.

The Pacers are expected announce later today that O’Brien has added Vitaly Potapenko to his staff. Potapenko played on four teams during his 11-year playing career, which ended in 2007. He most recently was an assistant coach with the Fort Wayne Mad Ants of the NBA D-League.

O’Brien added former Louisville assistant coach Walter McCarty to his staff earlier this month. Potapenko and McCarty replace Lester Conner and Dick Harter on O’Brien's staff.

LINK (http://www.indystar.com/article/20100630/SPORTS04/100630017/1088/Pacers-lock-up-coaching-staff-for-next-season)

graphic-er
06-30-2010, 10:20 PM
Maybe he is gonna do training camp Rocky IV style.....If he dies, he dies...

Puny American Basketball Boll Players.

McKeyFan
06-30-2010, 10:34 PM
So, because he was physically limited as a player, that means he is incapable of being able to teach the game? Larry, Magic, Michael, Isiah. They were the best. How would we say they were as coaches/GM's? Being the best on the floor doesn't always equate to being the best on the sidelines.

I've got a coaching friend who insists that the players who rode the bench (ala Rick Carlisle) are the best coaches. I think there may be something to this. It's harder for a Michael Jordan to teach someone to do something, since he figured it out naturally.

aceace
07-01-2010, 03:26 AM
Maybe since the Pacers are in the red for millions he's coaching for like 40 grand a year, due to tough job market conditions in the Ukraine, that's probably a raise from last year.

imawhat
07-01-2010, 03:34 AM
I've got a coaching friend who insists that the players who rode the bench (ala Rick Carlisle) are the best coaches. I think there may be something to this. It's harder for a Michael Jordan to teach someone to do something, since he figured it out naturally.

I think it's more a scenario where the best coaches were average/below average athletes that still made NBA rosters due to their amazing basketball IQs. Nothing more, nothing less. They aren't great coaches because they rode the bench. It also doesn't mean there aren't great coaches out there who are getting significant playing time.

Kstat
07-01-2010, 06:19 AM
Larry Brown was a benchwarmer?

ChristianDudley
07-01-2010, 10:00 AM
I actually don't think Vitaly is the big man coach that the Pacers said they would be getting...I remember they were supposedly thinking about asking McHale to come in, but who knows really. Hopefully Mr. Potapenko does good for us.

ksuttonjr76
07-01-2010, 11:27 AM
****Mini-Rant Alert****

I'm really sick and tired of all the O'Brien bashing.

Ever since I joined this board a few years ago I've heard people complaining about the Pacers never hiring a big man coach. Now we hire a 6'10" dude who played 11 seasons in the NBA as an assistant coach, and, because we don't like the coach who hired him, he must be a complete idiot who barely speaks the language.

Also, since he wasn't an all-star as a player he must be a terrible coach. How many hall of fame players have gone on to have great coaching careers? Not very many.

Here's an interesting little tidbit for you. I'm going to post the stats of 2 players, I want you to tell me who they are and if they'd be good coaches or not:

Player #1 - 12 seasons, 807 games, 6.7 ppg, 4.3 rpg
Player #2 - 11 seasons, 610 games, 6.5 ppg, 4.5 rpg

Player #1 = Phil Jackson
Player #2 = Vitaly Potapenko

Yeah, that's right. I just said that Potapenko is the next Phil Jackson.

****End of Mini-rant****

I know there are a lot of valid criticisms of O'Brien. He's not a perfect coach by anybody's estimation. I just think it's a bit juvenile and sophomoric to believe that because you greatly dislike some aspect(s) of his coaching, that he's incapable of ever making a good decision.

p.s. If anybody knows how to make those niftly little banners that people put in their sigs, I'd proudly sport a Potapenko bandwagon one.

Wells, isn't making good decisions part of coaching?

Hicks
07-01-2010, 03:01 PM
MGrady was tweeting today that Vitaly is, in fact, going to be here to work with our bigs. Not surprising, but someone was thinking he might not be our big man coach, so I'm mentioning it.

Unclebuck
07-01-2010, 03:03 PM
MGrady was tweeting today that Vitaly is, in fact, going to be here to work with our bigs. Not surprising, but someone was thinking he might not be our big man coach, so I'm mentioning it.

When I first read your post very quickly, for a split second i was thinking, what does Tracey McGrady have to do with this. But then my brain kicked in

ChristianDudley
07-01-2010, 03:13 PM
crap...if Vitaly was still in the NBA I would think that our bigs would be teaching Vitaly how to play! lol

Ozwalt72
07-01-2010, 03:35 PM
I do like the pickup, even if its a one year thing. I think he can effectively work on our bigs footwork offensively and defensively and teach them how to use their body weight a little better.

Justin Tyme
07-01-2010, 04:08 PM
When I first read your post very quickly, for a split second i was thinking, what does Tracey McGrady have to do with this.

Not often do we think alike, but in this instance we did.

cordobes
07-04-2010, 11:52 AM
I heard about this today and wanted to chime in.

I'm not entirely surprised Potapenko landed this job. A couple of months ago, I heard that a couple of European teams where looking at him but that he'd probably landed a NBA gig. I thought he'd join a different club though (the Blazers).

Potapenko gained a reputation with his work as a big man coach for the Mad Ants last season. Most of you know Rob Kurz, the former Notre Dame and Golden State Warriors forward, better than I do. When I caught a couple of Fort Wayne games last season I was very impressed with his improvement. A jump-shooting tweener, he's much improved in the other aspects of the game. Obviously, he's still a marginal rotational NBA player whose value resides essentially in his outside shot, but in the other aspects of his game he's improved noticeably, IMO. He's mixing it up inside, he's attacking smaller players on the post and finishing some spin moves, he's much more active rebounding wise, he actually has a second bounce now. Essentially, he's more physical and moves better. They did a really good job developing his athletic attributes. Still a 4th big at best but I think that if you get to watch a couple of the Bulls games in the Summer League you'll notice the difference.

Their other big, Sean Sonderleiter, a prototypical big white stiff, also improved remarkably. His mpg jumped from 11 to 25, doubled his rebounding numbers, went from 4ppg to 11ppg with improved efficiency. He isn't a NBA player but he actually looked like a professional basketball player. And even Jared Reiner stayed healthy more time than usual.

I'm sure this caught some eyes; if it was this and not his familiarity with O'Brien the main reason why the Pacers hired Potapenko I don't know.

As a player (and I completely agree with mellifluous, that's irrelevant for his coaching career) he was a serviceable role-player - a very, very tough center, slow as molasses in January, but extremely competent defending the post and one of the best screener I've ever seen. A physical and borderline dirty player. Could have been an ever better player if it wasn't for:
- a knee injury
- having a typical habit of old school Eastern European players: his nickname was The Ukrainian Train, but some guys would call him The Ukrainian Chimney. He ended his career playing here, for Estudiantes, and there was this fable about him lighting up the first cigarette while still under the shower. So he was a workout warrior but his conditioning never allowed him to play more than 20ish mpg at a good level.

Anyway, I knew this and thought about sharing once I heard this news, he's always been a student of the game and he built a reputation for himself lately. I'm intrigued to see if Pacers bigs show any kind of noticeable development, especially in terms of using their bodies more effectively.

Day-V
07-04-2010, 12:45 PM
When I first read your post very quickly, for a split second i was thinking, what does Tracey McGrady have to do with this. But then my brain kicked in

I did the same thing.

dal9
07-04-2010, 01:08 PM
Most of you know Rob Kurz, the former Notre Dame and Golden State Warriors forward, better than I do.

:dunno: :confused: :whoknows:

cordobes
07-04-2010, 01:13 PM
:dunno: :confused: :whoknows:

Heh, maybe not. Those of you who are Notre Dame/college ball fans then. He played for an Indiana located college for 4 years, that's why I assumed that. Sharp-shooting combo forward.

----

Wow, I've noticed now that Waltaaaa will also join the coaching staff. Don't know anything about him as a coach (although I'm not surprised he's one, he's a charismatic guy), but he was a beloved bad player. Easy prediction of the year: Tommy rarely calls games outside of Boston but he'll do the trip to Indianapolis this year and we'll have 1232 close-ups of him and McCarthy during the broadcast.

joew8302
07-04-2010, 07:23 PM
Heh, maybe not. Those of you who are Notre Dame/college ball fans then. He played for an Indiana located college for 4 years, that's why I assumed that. Sharp-shooting combo forward.

----

Wow, I've noticed now that Waltaaaa will also join the coaching staff. Don't know anything about him as a coach (although I'm not surprised he's one, he's a charismatic guy), but he was a beloved bad player. Easy prediction of the year: Tommy rarely calls games outside of Boston but he'll do the trip to Indianapolis this year and we'll have 1232 close-ups of him and McCarthy during the broadcast.

Gosh, I hope you are wrong. Any arena not occupied by Heinshon's big mouth is a better arena.

Brad8888
07-04-2010, 09:57 PM
Where are you from, again? If I may also ask, how did you catch a couple of Ft. Wayne games? I would suspect that you would be virtually the only poster here who has done so, which is impressive.

Also, thank you for your insights into both Potapenko and Rob Kurz. The breadth of your knowledge, even of subjects that are not very significant sometimes, never ceases to amaze.

cordobes
07-05-2010, 07:44 PM
Where are you from, again?

I'm from Portugal but I spend most of my time in Spain. I guess I'm from Iberia.

If I may also ask, how did you catch a couple of Ft. Wayne games?

Via Futurecast, the D-League streaming service. It's available in their website.

Yeah, it's kind of odd, but I started watching some games a couple of years ago when the Cs assigned a couple of rookies to their D-League affiliated team (at that time the Utah Flash) and the D-League started offering archived games in Futurecast. Then I became sort of a D-League aficionado (more of a casual fan) and when I have the chance I have some games running and check some prospects. Hey, 25% of the NBA players last season were former D-Leaguers! D-League basketball isn't particularly enjoyable, but you can always spot some talent here and there. I created a D-League official thread around here last season, actually I think I forgot to update when the playoffs terminated! Need to check that.

Anthem
07-05-2010, 07:47 PM
Hey, 25% of the NBA players last season were former D-Leaguers!
I find that hard to believe.

cordobes
07-05-2010, 07:54 PM
I find that hard to believe.

You're correct, I misremembered, it was 20% in 08/09. Don't have the numbers for 09/10, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if it reached 25% because of the unprecedented amount of call-ups. I'll try to check those numbers. Anyway, a lot of NBA players were former D-Leaguers.

vnzla81
07-05-2010, 07:56 PM
You're correct, I misremembered, it was 20% in 08/09. Don't have the numbers for 09/10, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if it reached 25% because of the unprecedented amount of call-ups. I'll try to check those numbers. Anyway, a lot of NBA players were former D-Leaguers.

yeah S Jackson and Barnes played in the D league

cordobes
07-05-2010, 08:11 PM
yeah S Jackson and Barnes played in the D league

Yeah, technically Jackson played in the CBA (and abroad) but the D-League took over their operations (Fort Wayne was a former CBA franchise).

Chris Andersen, Dahntay Jones, Rafer Alston, Bobby Simmons, Shannon Brown, Azubuike, Amundson, Miki Moore, etc. Then you have the guys who were assigned, Ramon Sessions, Bass, Gortat, Blatche, Brooks, Farmar, etc.