PDA

View Full Version : im tired of player hype

hans023
06-30-2010, 03:10 PM
OK when are we going to get over this notion that we need to build around Granger. How long has he been on our team? How many times have we been to the playoffs in that time? In an eastern conference that consists of 4 or 5 consistent playoff teams a year, I think it's a pretty weak conference. Definitely not as strong as the west. So with that being said if Granger was the dominant superstar that a lot of people are so set to believe then why can't he get us to the playoffs in a weak conference. Have we even had a 500 record with him, OMG it's hard to even keep up with the dreadful pacers anymore, all I hear is how DG is getting his shots and stats, come on it's time to rethink our strategy and put DG on a leash this year and get the whole team involved because that's how we can win, as a team, right.

pizza guy
06-30-2010, 03:20 PM
I don't know that anyone believes DG is the end-all be-all, superstar player that can win it all by himself. Those guys are named Kobe and LeBron. And even those two can't do it alone.

Most of us would like to see DG stay here in Indy and be a central part of the team as we rebuild and work toward respectability and success. However, I think it's general consensus that if trading DG could land us a big name, serious superstar, that's the price you pay.

Personally, I'd like to get our "Jordan" so DG can be our "Pippen." If we can't do that, then we need to find our "Ray Allen" and "Kevin Garnett" so that DG can be our "Paul Pierce."

I hope what I'm trying to say is coming across. None of us think he's the best player in the league. But we all know that he's the best player on the Pacers. So, using DG as a starting point, we'd like to build around him towards a contender. It only makes sense to do it that way because, well, we already have DG.

As far as putting him on a leash...not sure I quite understand that. You want to take our best player, our All-Star, and tell him to let TJ Ford and Troy Murphy take more shots? No thanks. DG is a team player, but the rest of his team sucks.

--pizza

BornReady
06-30-2010, 03:21 PM
i mean...nobodys holding up a gun to your head telling you to follow the pacers..

odeez
06-30-2010, 03:25 PM
OK when are we going to get over this notion that we need to build around Granger. How long has he been on our team? How many times have we been to the playoffs in that time? In an eastern conference that consists of 4 or 5 consistent playoff teams a year, I think it's a pretty weak conference. Definitely not as strong as the west. So with that being said if Granger was the dominant superstar that a lot of people are so set to believe then why can't he get us to the playoffs in a weak conference. Have we even had a 500 record with him, OMG it's hard to even keep up with the dreadful pacers anymore, all I hear is how DG is getting his shots and stats, come on it's time to rethink our strategy and put DG on a leash this year and get the whole team involved because that's how we can win, as a team, right.

I don't think anyone here would say Granger is dominant Superstar, but in my opinion he is a nice player to have in your core. If we can somehow, get a starting caliber PG and a veteran PF with Granger then I think we are in business and the playoffs would come. The problem has been no one else can score like Granger on the team. He needs help!

To answer why we haven't been to the playoffs, ask Murphy, Dun, and Ford with their overpaid deals. Their play hasn't made us better, in fact they have been weighing us down with their contracts. I don't think you can blame Granger for us not making the playoffs, he has given us everything he can from a scoring perspective and has improved his scoring every year except for last year. My only want with Granger is for him to get back to the defense he was playing a couple years ago. He needs help! If Dun hadn't of got hurt I think we might have made the playoffs. But the most glaring reason, IMO is our PG situation. We have been moving players in and out of the position since the Tinsley mess. I liked what Jack was doing for us the 08/09 season and wish we could have kept him. If we improve that position and get a solid PF, we all might be talking playoffs this fall.

Swish
06-30-2010, 03:25 PM
Your name is Hans, and you're complaining about player hype?

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/6509/potkettleblack.jpg

Bball
06-30-2010, 03:30 PM
We'd have to build a solid team around Danny to find out how Danny would fare with a team built around around him.

As long as he's being asked to shoot 3's early and often... and in a system that devalues defense and does not value each possession even in context of game situations... and a system that minimizes not only his own talent but the talent around him (and in some cases that talent can't afford much minimizing) then I think arguing that Danny is failing with a team built around him is missing the bigger picture.

odeez
06-30-2010, 03:34 PM
Your name is Hans, and you're complaining about player hype?

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/6509/potkettleblack.jpg

nice image!

maragin
06-30-2010, 03:37 PM
Have we even had a 500 record with him

Yes.

pacers74
06-30-2010, 03:39 PM
Danny Granger is arguably a top 5-10 SF in the NBA. He can consistently put up 25 ppg and can play well above average defense. I know last year he slacked off on his defense, but that doesn't mean he isn't capable of play good defense. He might not be one of the top players who you can build your team around, but we aren't going to get anyone better than him. We won't get Carmelo Anthony next year or any of the top free agents this year. Danny is not a player who can single handedly dominate a game for a whole season. He needs help. He hasn't had that type of help since he was drafted. He needs someone to help take some of the load off of him. Maybe George will be that guy.
Maybe we won't ever get those pieces to put around Granger, and we need to cut our loses and trade him for the best offer we can get.
I'm not against trading Granger. I would do it for the right deal, but if we somehow get Collison or even Hill our team will improve greatly.
If Granger is still on our roster next season I hope he comes back with the same defensive intensity that he had a couple of years ago.

Ozwalt72
06-30-2010, 03:40 PM
Who else are we going to try to build around? Travis Diener? He's gone?!

thewholefnshow31
06-30-2010, 03:49 PM
Who else are you going to build around? Troy Murphy? DG is our best player and is one of the better SF in the game when he is healthy. He is not an elite player in the league, but he is a very good player who can be one of the key players to our team. We have an improving center, a great SF and that is about it. So what do you expect from this team? They are in rebuilding mode so they are not going to be winning a bunch of games and being a perennial playoff team even in the weak Eastern conference.

So what kind of strategy do you think the pacers need to implement since building around DG is such a horrible idea?

ksuttonjr76
06-30-2010, 03:59 PM
Who else are you going to build around? Troy Murphy? DG is our best player and is one of the better SF in the game when he is healthy. He is not an elite player in the league, but he is a very good player who can be one of the key players to our team. We have an improving center, a great SF and that is about it. So what do you expect from this team? They are in rebuilding mode so they are not going to be winning a bunch of games and being a perennial playoff team even in the weak Eastern conference.

So what kind of strategy do you think the pacers need to implement since building around DG is such a horrible idea?

Get a coach who understands how to design inside/outside plays, and makes the PF keep his butt in the paint with our defensive-minded, old-skool center.

vnzla81
06-30-2010, 04:14 PM
if you are tired of players hype you should stop watching any professional sport

hans023
06-30-2010, 06:30 PM
Your telling me that Granger doesn't go out there for personal stats then your all lying to yourself. When first joining the pacers he said i'm gonna be an all-star, not i'm gonna help my team get to the playoffs and guess what, he has succeeded. whoohoo and the player hype was also with JO we all know how that turned out, I see some similarities with DG, i'm just tired of hearing about how the rest of the team sucks blahblahblah DG's not making anybody better around him because theres no ball movement when hes on the floor, tell me why that is. To build around someone in particular that person needs to make his teammates better, now that doesn't work with a "look to shoot person first", refer to Reggie Miller's comments, he states that DG is getting good personal stats, but what is he doing for his team.

Return to Glory
06-30-2010, 06:35 PM
Your telling me that Granger doesn't go out there for personal stats then your all lying to yourself. When first joining the pacers he said i'm gonna be an all-star, not i'm gonna help my team get to the playoffs and guess what, he has succeeded. whoohoo

Somebody is drinking the Haterade.:laugh:

hans023
06-30-2010, 06:39 PM
Somebody is drinking the Haterade.:laugh:

No actually i've been a pacer fan for 25 years and I really would like to see them succeed.

Kstat
06-30-2010, 06:41 PM
Really? So, you think that Granger has never said anything to the effect of wanting to help his team win, in the 5 season he's been here? Really?

Put him on any halfway decent team. Heck, I'll take him on the pistons in a heartbeat. We'd be back in the playoffs, easily.

hans023
06-30-2010, 06:48 PM
Really? So, you think that Granger has never said anything to the effect of wanting to help his team win, in the 5 season he's been here? Really?

Put him on any halfway decent team. Heck, I'll take him on the pistons in a heartbeat. We'd be back in the playoffs, easily.

On the court he really concentrates on getting stats, I know that for sure. And ya the pistons are as bad as the pacers so how would that be any different with granger

Kstat
06-30-2010, 06:49 PM
Take Granger off the Pacers, and the Pistons look like the 1986 Celtics by comparison. He's the best player on Indiana by a canyon-sized margin. He's the one player that's already good on a team of players that might be good someday.

And yes, Granger piles up a lot of stats. Name me a superstar that doesn't.

hans023
06-30-2010, 06:57 PM

Thats my whole point einstein, we don't have anybody to build around so why try to, trade Granger for a PG or let him be a roll player and let our young guys grow, if he's out there shooting it every time then the ball isn't being moved and that's bad basketball.

hans023
06-30-2010, 06:59 PM
Take Granger off the Pacers, and the Pistons look like the 1986 Celtics by comparison. He's the best player on Indiana by a canyon-sized margin. He's the one player that's already good on a team of players that might be good someday.

And yes, Granger piles up a lot of stats. Name me a superstar that doesn't.

Are you really serious or just being sarcastic...I hope the second cause if not??

tadscout
06-30-2010, 07:03 PM
Thats my whole point einstein, we don't have anybody to build around so why try to, trade Granger for a PG or let him be a roll player and let our young guys grow, if he's out there shooting it every time then the ball isn't being moved and that's bad basketball.

Odd last year I thought there was plenty of stretches Danny wasn't getting the ball enough... our PG's wouldn't even look for him... so I really don't know what you are watching.

Also he was working on his passing game, when our coaches actually got the ball movement and (even more important) player movement w/o the ball point through our players heads Danny had games of 4-6 assists... just oddly movement doesn't seem to be a priority on JoB's list...

Pacersalltheway10
06-30-2010, 07:04 PM
Danny is a wing player. He is supposed to score . He isn't a PG.

xBulletproof
06-30-2010, 07:04 PM
I think this guy is confusing Jim O'Briens shortcomings in coaching philosophy, for Danny's shortcomings as a player.

Day-V
06-30-2010, 07:06 PM
I hereby give hans023 my vote for 2011 PacersDigest Sunshiner of the Year.

hans023
06-30-2010, 07:10 PM
I hereby give hans023 my vote for 2011 PacersDigest Sunshiner of the Year.

Is that a compliment, Thank you bunches sis

Pacersalltheway10
06-30-2010, 07:12 PM
Well if you don't want granger who do you want that would be a realistic option who would want to play for the Pacers?

hans023
06-30-2010, 07:14 PM
I think this guy is confusing Jim O'Briens shortcomings in coaching philosophy, for Danny's shortcomings as a player.

Oh yeah blame it all on the coach, a good team player can orchestrate an offense without mommy and daddy, JOB isn't actually on the court is he I thought he was just there for support.

hans023
06-30-2010, 07:17 PM
Well if you don't want granger who do you want that would be a realistic option who would want to play for the Pacers?

As I stated before keep him as a role player or trade him for a solid PG, thats all we really need. This thread isn't a hate thread, in fact I think DG is okay, but not a great leader and if thats what the franchise is counting on were gonna be stuck in the same position every year.

Day-V
06-30-2010, 07:17 PM
I think you're still missing a very critical concept here.....Danny's a 3. Sometimes even a damn 4. But even Jim O'Bysmal knows that Danny's not a 1.

Danny's problem is that he's never had a true Franchise PG to help orchestrate that nonsense Jimmy calls "an offense."

tadscout
06-30-2010, 07:20 PM
Oh yeah blame it all on the coach, a good team player can orchestrate an offense without mommy and daddy, JOB isn't actually on the court is he I thought he was just there for support.

The Coach can pull you off the court if you aren't following his system... :rolleyes:

By your theory MJ and Kobe were the masterminds behind the triangle offense...

xBulletproof
06-30-2010, 07:21 PM

Well hell, you should charge money for this sheer genius you're sharing with us. All the NBA, NFL, MLB teams and every college sporting team would just love to be aware that coaches are so useless that they can just save all those millions of dollars they're spending. You could get rich off of this convincing debate you've got going here.

woowoo
06-30-2010, 07:27 PM

Chris Bosh is being spoke about in the same breath as Bron and Wade... that tells you all you need to know bout the state of the NBA.

Everyone in this league is overhyped.

hans023
06-30-2010, 07:28 PM
I think you're still missing a very critical concept here.....Danny's a 3. Sometimes even a damn 4. But even Jim O'Bysmal knows that Danny's not a 1.

Danny's problem is that he's never had a true Franchise PG to help orchestrate that nonsense Jimmy calls "an offense."

Well I hope your right and a good PG can change the mess around.

joew8302
06-30-2010, 07:29 PM
Well hell, you should charge money for this sheer genius you're sharing with us. All the NBA, NFL, MLB teams and every college sporting team would just love to be aware that coaches are so useless that they can just save all those millions of dollars they're spending. You could get rich off of this convincing debate you've got going here.

I would say you and hans are both right/wrong. Coaching does matter. If it didn't coaches would not be compensated so well. I mean is there any profession in the world where the going rate is 2 million per year that doesn't matter? Think about it, that sounds quite ridiculous.

On the other hand some people on this board would blame JOB for a cold winter. If you put Phil Jackson as coach of the Pacers how many games do they win? My guess is no more than 40. I understand the frustration with Obie, but lets be real. Two of the guys we have the biggest investment in have never sniffed the playoffs in about a decade in the league. It is not like he is the only guy who has been unsuccessful with some of these core pieces.

hans023
06-30-2010, 07:30 PM
The Coach can pull you off the court if you aren't following his system... :rolleyes:

By your theory MJ and Kobe were the masterminds behind the triangle offense...

MJ was but not Kobe there not in the same league bro

Day-V
06-30-2010, 07:31 PM
Speaking of Granger, there's something said on this board a lot that I'm not really sure is true. Many people claim Danny is no "Batman" and would have to be the "Robin/Pippen" of any championship-calibur team. I just don't know if I can agree to that or not.

Whenever I mention this to my father (who has followed the team since it's ABA days and is just as big of a Pacers fan as I am, if not bigger) he reminds me that many Pacers fans thought the same of Reggie Miller in his first few years on the team. Many considered the Rifleman to be "The Guy" while Reggie was to forever play Second Fiddle. It wasn't until they got rid of Chuck, built the team around Reggie, and finally get him a good coach (Brown) and PG (MJax) that he was able to become the "Killer Miller" that we came to know in the mid-late 90's.

All I'm saying is, Reggie had a lot more talent than Granger did by comparison of their first 5 seasons. Granger frankly has had nobody. I don't want to write him off yet until this team can actually start contending and we see what Granger's made of.

woowoo
06-30-2010, 07:33 PM

Huh? "they" are in the same league, in fact I think MJ at the end of this career had better talent (around him that is) than Kobe does.

woowoo
06-30-2010, 07:37 PM
Speaking of Granger, there's something said on this board a lot that I'm not really sure is true. Many people claim Danny is no "Batman" and would have to be the "Robin/Pippen" of any championship-calibur team. I just don't know if I can agree to that or not.

Whenever I mention this to my father (who has followed the team since it's ABA days and is just as big of a Pacers fan as I am, if not bigger) he reminds me that many Pacers fans thought the same of Reggie Miller in his first few years on the team. Many considered the Rifleman to be "The Guy" while Reggie was to forever play Second Fiddle. It wasn't until they got rid of Chuck, built the team around Reggie, and finally get him a good coach (Brown) and PG (MJax) that he was able to become the "Killer Miller" that we came to know in the mid-late 90's.

All I'm saying is, Reggie had a lot more talent than Granger did by comparison of their first 5 seasons. Granger frankly has had nobody. I don't want to write him off yet until this team can actually start contending and we see what Granger's made of.

I just do not think Granger plays nearly good enough D to ever be considered an alpha dog on any team. Most of the great players get it done on both ends of the court. Thus when the jumper is not falling, the great ones contribute in many other ways on the defensive end.

I think Granger would look great alongside Wade or Bron.

Kaufman
06-30-2010, 07:38 PM
bro

Day-V
06-30-2010, 07:41 PM
I just do not think Granger plays nearly good enough D to ever be considered an alpha dog on any team. Most of the great player get it done on both ends of the court. Thus when the jumper is not falling, the great ones contribute in many other ways on the defensive end.

Reggie Miller wasn't a lock-down defender, himself.

And I'm really not trying to say Danny is the next Reggie or anything, I know they are players with completely different skill-sets, but I just don't agree with folks writing him off as not being a true Franchise Player when he hasn't really had any chance to show what he can do. Meaning that, I just want to see what Danny can do on a true playoff-calibur team. Then I want to see how his leadership skills and influence take place.

hans023
06-30-2010, 07:43 PM
Huh? "they" are in the same league, in fact I think MJ at the end of this career had better talent (around him that is) than Kobe does.

ya sure, Gasol's arguably the lakers mvp, the Lakers best offense go's through Gasol and thats when the Lakers click as a team and get everybody going. MJ could take over a game effectively. Kobe, not so much

tadscout
06-30-2010, 07:44 PM

Last time I checked Phil Jackson was the coach and he instilled and taught the triangle offensive scheme.

MJ didn't sit down and teach the triangle offense every training camp...

MJ executed the offense. Phil taught and demanded perfection on how it was played.

As your previous posts have shown you're having a hard time differentiating between the roles of a coach and star player.

hans023
06-30-2010, 07:44 PM
I just do not think Granger plays nearly good enough D to ever be considered an alpha dog on any team. Most of the great players get it done on both ends of the court. Thus when the jumper is not falling, the great ones contribute in many other ways on the defensive end.

As a role player?

Kaufman
06-30-2010, 07:49 PM
As your previous posts have shown you're having a hard time differentiating between the roles of a coach and star player.

and when and when not to use apostrophes.

where is Graham Mernatzi when you need him.

hans023
06-30-2010, 07:49 PM
Last time I checked Phil Jackson was the coach and he instilled and taught the triangle offensive scheme.

MJ didn't sit down and teach the triangle offense every training camp...

MJ executed the offense. Phil taught and demanded perfection on how it was played.

I agree with the teaching, but there were times when MJ just took over games and with great success, with Kobe, on the other hand, the opposing team loves it when he trys to take over games because the outcome isn't good for the lakers.

hans023
06-30-2010, 07:50 PM
and when and when not to use apostrophes.

where is Graham Mernatzi when you need him.

What am I in school here and your my teacher, maybe I could hire you as my tudor

Day-V
06-30-2010, 07:56 PM
What am I in school here and your my teacher, maybe I could hire you as my tudor

you're*

--Graham Mernatzi.

Kaufman
06-30-2010, 07:56 PM
[you're]
[tutor]

I'm relatively busy by day, but sure if you would like to hire me I can help you in the evenings. Make me an offer I can't refuse, I'm sure I can put together some time for you.

Day-V
06-30-2010, 07:57 PM
It also needs to have a question mark after "teacher".

hans023
06-30-2010, 07:59 PM
[you're]
[tutor]

Are you sure about that, OK i'm done this is gay

Kaufman
06-30-2010, 08:00 PM
Yes, I'm sure.

Please, also, no homophobic comments.

BornReady
what is this nonsense thread?

hans023
It also needs to have a question mark after "teacher".

Actually a period would be the correct answer professor.

tadscout
06-30-2010, 08:01 PM
:pity:
:p:laugh:

hans023
06-30-2010, 08:02 PM
Yes, I'm sure.

Please, also, no homophobic comments.

Ok, this is stupid.

Day-V
06-30-2010, 08:03 PM
:inbeforethelock2:

BornReady
06-30-2010, 08:03 PM
moderator please close this thread -__-

tadscout
06-30-2010, 08:04 PM
:inbeforethelock:

Kaufman
06-30-2010, 08:04 PM

hans023
06-30-2010, 08:06 PM
moderator please close this thread -__-

How about BornGay

Kaufman
06-30-2010, 08:07 PM

dude don't be a jerk. not on the first day of school.

Kstat
06-30-2010, 08:13 PM
How about BornGay

You should have started this thread with that and saved people the time and effort of taking you seriously.

hans023
06-30-2010, 08:13 PM

dude don't be a jerk. not on the first day of school.

You couldn't teach me anything, but how to be a dork online your a moron

hans023
06-30-2010, 08:14 PM
You should have started this thread with that and saved people the time and effort of taking you seriously.

Well Kaumans just annoying sorry

Day-V
06-30-2010, 08:15 PM
You couldn't teach me anything, but how to be a dork online your a moron

You're*

Kaufman
06-30-2010, 08:16 PM
[you're]

hans023
06-30-2010, 08:17 PM
You're*

are u having fun dumbo

Kaufman
[Kaufman's]

DGPR
Croz24?

Kaufman
[you]

xBulletproof
06-30-2010, 08:18 PM
Actually a period would be the correct answer professor.

:50cent:

hans023
06-30-2010, 08:18 PM
[Kaufman's]

why are u sad andy

Kaufman
06-30-2010, 08:20 PM
I'm sad because you are still here.

hans023
06-30-2010, 08:23 PM

my thread genius and ill be back

Bball
06-30-2010, 09:13 PM

If only you would've said:

I'm sad because your still here

...I could've had a laugh and wondered if it was a dig or an ironic mistake...

It would've been funny either way.

Your missing you're chance!

Anthem
06-30-2010, 10:01 PM
I'm relatively busy by day, but sure if you would like to hire me I can help you in the evenings. Make me an offer I can't refuse, I'm sure I can put together some time for you.
Good to have you back, Kaufman! Where ya been?

Anthem
06-30-2010, 10:02 PM
I hear it pays pretty well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tudor_dynasty

Anthem
06-30-2010, 10:08 PM
Generally I don't really enjoy hazing newbies. But when a kid comes on and chooses a player name for a screen name, and then makes a thread about players being overhyped, I guess it's hard to take them seriously.

Hans, let me give you some advice. PM the administrators (Hicks will do fine) and ask them to close your account. Start a new one with a different name. Come ready to discuss topics instead of just insulting players and posters. Then, enjoy yourself! It's a pretty good group here.

Everybody makes spelling and grammar mistakes, but if you try to type like you text people will assume you're a 12-year-old. Put a little extra effort into your communication and people will take you much more seriously.

Kaufman
06-30-2010, 10:29 PM
Good to have you back, Kaufman! Where ya been?

Hi Anthem --- been busy with work, taking care of cancer patients. Heavy work load last few months.... years. Ha. I generally check and read PD at the very least once a week, sometimes more often, but less often am I compelled to post. But this thread - it was ripe for the picking :D

Kaufman
06-30-2010, 10:32 PM
Where has Graham been?

hans023
06-30-2010, 10:43 PM
Generally I don't really enjoy hazing newbies. But when a kid comes on and chooses a player name for a screen name, and then makes a thread about players being overhyped, I guess it's hard to take them seriously.

Hans, let me give you some advice. PM the administrators (Hicks will do fine) and ask them to close your account. Start a new one with a different name. Come ready to discuss topics instead of just insulting players and posters. Then, enjoy yourself! It's a pretty good group here.

Everybody makes spelling and grammar mistakes, but if you try to type like you text people will assume you're a 12-year-old. Put a little extra effort into your communication and people will take you much more seriously.

Anthem why don't you mind your own beezwax, im not concerned about grammar im on college break and insulting granger is no different then insulting every other player on the team like people do all the time by saying granger is the only good player on the team, im tired of hearing that crap. Murphy is a solid player and he deserves more credit, its a free country so i can put my 2 cents in anytime i feel like it. screw off!

Day-V
06-30-2010, 11:14 PM
Murphy is a solid player and he deserves more credit,

:50cent:

15th parallel
06-30-2010, 11:17 PM
Respect begets respect, hans023. Don't try to insult posters here just because they don't agree with you or they criticize your grammar and punctuation. You can do a better approach than that.

As for overhyping Granger, I believe that he's not overhyped. In fact, this year he has been criticized more for his lack of D and his high-volume shots in the 3pt territory. But for now he is the best player on the Pacers roster, that is why they build around him right now. He is a good player with bang-for-buck contract than most players in the NBA, so the Pacers are actually getting more from him. If they can trade Granger for a better player, that's good. If the Pacers can land a player as good or better than him to help him here, then that's much better. You cannot simply blame everything on Granger because the whole team roster itself is not even that good, in fact LB is having a hard time trading some of them for roster upgrades because other teams do not give them much value.

And yeah, if Murphy's much better than Granger, then Cleveland should have put much effort pursuing him than an already aging Jamison.

Peck
06-30-2010, 11:42 PM
I think we have come to the end of the road here.....