PDA

View Full Version : Does McRoberts have upside?

TrueBlue372
06-29-2010, 01:49 PM
I have been a die hard Pacers fan all of my life. These last three years have been tough for me as a fan. I refuse to lose hope in my team, however it is time to put a product on the floor that will give the city something to be proud of. I have been following this site for quite some time, but decided today to join and become a poster.

My question is in regards to Josh McRoberts. It seems as if many fans are high on him. I guess my question would be what does he offer to the team and why should he remain a Pacer this season? He just seems like a more athletic Tyler in my opinion. Would love some more insight into his game!

graphic-er
06-29-2010, 03:53 PM
Welcome to the digest, McRoberts or McBob as we affectionately call him as been discussed at length on this board for the past 2 years. Many like him and energy and think that he can be a solid back up PF, and some say the man has no NBA skill what so ever.

I advise you to do a search on here, they're are plenty of threads.

d_c
06-29-2010, 03:54 PM
I recall an opposing coach or scout was quoted in saying (after they played against the Pacers) that if he can develop a mid-range game, he can be a rotation player in the league.

Day-V
06-29-2010, 03:58 PM
Yes.

sheppie33
06-29-2010, 03:59 PM
I recall an opposing coach or scout was quoted in saying (after they played against the Pacers) that if he can develop a mid-range game, he can be a rotation player in the league.

Personally, i think he will and always will be a bench player. I am learning he is a very popular player on this board and i just don't see what others do. Hopefully i am wrong.

odeez
06-29-2010, 04:07 PM
I like McRoberts, most of his dunks are ridiculous and he is a fun guy to watch. That being said, I see him either being traded or cut by the Pacers in the near future. I know he can't get any playing time for JOB, in another system/coach he might get more time, but outside of the freakish dunks he executes, I don't think he has much of a game at the 4 on the NBA level. I think he could be the 2 or 3 big on a team, but not much more than that. I welcome him coming out and showing us more. He is going into his 4th season now and if he doesn't show me something besides and alley oop dunk, I think it is time to move on....

DocHolliday
06-29-2010, 04:09 PM
He just seems like a more athletic Tyler in my opinion.

Welcome to PD, Tyler!:happydanc

Hoop
06-29-2010, 04:21 PM
I think McBob can be a rotation player on a good team. I'm not saying he'll ever be a quality NBA starter, but he doesn't have to be, to be a good value player.

It's not like we are depending on him to resurrect our franchise. He's young, cheap, has athletic talent, a good BB IQ and brings enthusiasm to the games.

Ridiculous Upside, probably not, but what's not to like.

hans023
06-29-2010, 04:24 PM
I think he needs more playing time. I hear he needs to develop and all, but you really can't if your on the bench all the time, so hopefully this year he will given a chance to really show what he can do.

crunk-juice
06-29-2010, 04:32 PM
he will never, ever be a starter on a respectable team.

Bball
06-29-2010, 04:43 PM
If he could work on his 3 point shooting and get to a point where he can get a consistent and healthy number of looks per game, and makes.... then he certainly has a place in the NBA...

...With the Pacers as a 'stretch forward'....

MLB007
06-29-2010, 04:49 PM
Welcome to PD, Tyler!:happydanc

Pre-Draft measurements

McRoberts vertical: 31.5"
Hansbrough vertical 34.0"

You guys do realize he had a bad shin injury that wasn't fully healed??
And he couldn't work out pre-season because of it.

You guys crack me up sometimes. :D

Brad8888
06-29-2010, 04:52 PM
With a different coach who would develop him as a traditional 4 instead of a tall 3, he could be a valuable piece for a fundamentally sound team. Currently with the Pacers, he may not see the floor again if Hansbrough is healthy and Rolle comes in and does as well as I believe he might. Josh does not belong out at the arc on offense. That would turn him into a more athletic Austin Croshere without as good of a 3pt shot, and that wouldn't be pretty IMO.

Eleazar
06-29-2010, 05:41 PM
Right now he is the best PF on this team, and he has enough up-side to be a quality back-up, just not a starter. He is a Foster type in that he isn't the most skilled, but he brings enough hustle and energy to the floor to make up for his lack of skill. I honestly have no idea why Hansbrough gets more minutes than McRoberts. If you compare the two it really shouldn't be any question as to who is better. McRoberts is more athletic, shoots better, and is a better decision maker. The are both about equal in hustle, rebounds, and defense. Hansbrough does absolutely nothing better than him except for take more ill advised shots.

So someone please give me a legitimate reason to play Hansbrough over McRoberts? By legitimate I mean one based on skill and what they can do on the floor, not by where they were drafted or how much money they make. The only reason I can see is that they are trying to put the worst team out there in order to get better picks, and make sure that he is still cheap when he becomes a free agent.

OakMoses
06-29-2010, 06:42 PM
So someone please give me a legitimate reason to play Hansbrough over McRoberts? By legitimate I mean one based on skill and what they can do on the floor, not by where they were drafted or how much money they make. The only reason I can see is that they are trying to put the worst team out there in order to get better picks, and make sure that he is still cheap when he becomes a free agent.

Hansbrough is a better shooter, rebounder, and scorer than McRoberts. He is a more physical defender because he is a much stronger person than Josh.

I like McRoberts. Your disdain for Hansbrough seems completely unwarranted. I think both guys play with a lot of energy, have fairly high IQ's (both on and off the court), and deserve regular minutes in the NBA right now.

As for the question in the OP, I think we've done a horrible job at giving any specific answers.

Here are some things that McRoberts does well:

- He's a very good passer.
- He's a very good ballhandler for someone his size.
- He plays with a ton of energy.
- Offensively, he seems to be in the right place a lot of the time.
- He's a good shotblocker.
- He's also very good at guarding face-up 4's and can probably guard a lot of 3's. Anybody remember the Clippers game when he switched onto Al Thornton?

Here's what I think he needs to improve on:

- Scoring. He needs to find a way to score consistently besides dunking. The mid-range jumper seems to be the logical piece to add.
- Off ball defense - This is what O'Brien always cites as the reason he doesn't play McRoberts more. For many posters here, the fact that O'Brien says it will cause them to believe it's not true. However, Josh does often look lost in the team defensive concept and often hunts for blocks rather than playing his assigned role.

06-29-2010, 06:51 PM

Slick also said the same thing during a radio broadcast. I agree. McRoberts will never be a star. However, if he can develop a mid-range game he can become a solid rotational player. I suppose my answer to the question, "Does McRoberts have upside?" would be "Yes" however is upside is limited to the 7 - 9 player in a rotation.

woowoo
06-29-2010, 07:19 PM

you can say that about every single PF/C in the NBA.....

pacers74
06-29-2010, 08:22 PM
I like him as the first big off of the bench. A high energy guy like Chris Anderson.

Kemo
06-29-2010, 08:45 PM
What I would like to see.. is the gloves come off.. and McRoberts given free reign and 25-30 minutes at the PF position , with spot minutes backing up Hibbert ...

I think alot of people would be pleasantly surprised.. if Josh were given the chance...

I think he is alot better than what alot of you give him credit for..

Eleazar
06-29-2010, 09:27 PM
Hansbrough is a better shooter, rebounder, and scorer than McRoberts. He is a more physical defender because he is a much stronger person than Josh.

I like McRoberts. Your disdain for Hansbrough seems completely unwarranted. I think both guys play with a lot of energy, have fairly high IQ's (both on and off the court), and deserve regular minutes in the NBA right now.

I don't know how you judge shooting, but I wouldn't call .360 shooting percentage better than McRoberts worst .422 or best .600. Hansbrough may be better at the wide open mid-range shot, but has such a terrible shot selection that he is a terrible shooter. There is something to be said about knowing your limits, and knowing when and when not to shoot. That is what made Foster so good, and that is why McRoberts is a better shooter and scorer than Hansbrough. He isn't going to force up bad shot just to score 8 points. He is going to shoot a 1/3rd as many shots and score 1/2 as much. To me that is better because he is saying that he realizes he isn't that good at shooting so if he really shouldn't be shooting the ball he is going to give it to someone who should.

Honestly with defense it really more depends on the kind of player they are defending. Hansbrough may be better at guarding Duncan, but McRoberts would be better at defending Garnett. That is more of a match-up issue than who is better.

judicata
06-29-2010, 09:36 PM
McRoberts has tons of potential. Just like he did when he was the #1 PF coming out of high school. Nothing has changed, and that is the problem.

MLB007
06-29-2010, 10:35 PM
you can say that about every single PF/C in the NBA.....

But you couldn't say it about Josh until right now. ;)

Pacersalltheway10
06-29-2010, 10:45 PM
There has got to be a reason EA sports is rating him so high in the recent NBA Live games. He has a lot of upside too me. He hasn't gotten anywhere near the minutes he should be getting.

OakMoses
06-29-2010, 11:50 PM
I don't know how you judge shooting, but I wouldn't call .360 shooting percentage better than McRoberts worst .422 or best .600. Hansbrough may be better at the wide open mid-range shot, but has such a terrible shot selection that he is a terrible shooter. There is something to be said about knowing your limits, and knowing when and when not to shoot. That is what made Foster so good, and that is why McRoberts is a better shooter and scorer than Hansbrough. He isn't going to force up bad shot just to score 8 points. He is going to shoot a 1/3rd as many shots and score 1/2 as much. To me that is better because he is saying that he realizes he isn't that good at shooting so if he really shouldn't be shooting the ball he is going to give it to someone who should.

I judge shooting by seeing who would make the most shots from a given distance. I'd guess that, in a shooting contest between McRoberts and Hansbrough, that Hansbrough would win by a very wide margin. I don't consider shot selection or shooting percentage to be indicative of who is a better shooter. The logical extension of your argument would make McRoberts a better shooter than half the guys in the NBA, and that's just not true.

Should I mention the fact that Hansbrough had a significant injury which affected his balance? I think that probably had something to do with his percentage.

jeffg-body
06-29-2010, 11:54 PM
I think the potential to be a good player is still there, he's a pretty young guy still. As long as he gets playing time to show improvement and get some meaningful experience.

the jaddler
06-30-2010, 11:06 AM
I love me some McBob!!! He is a fun player to watch!!! He has such great energy!!!! But I will also agree that he has some work to do. There is also the problem with JOB not wanting to play him, I would like for McBob to stick around till JOB is gone after this upcoming season(assuming we get rid of JOB, because if we dont i think PECK will burn conseco to the ground!) to see what he really has!

McBob could become an excellent rotation player!!! but i would agree not going to be a superstar in the league or a regular starter.

Lets think about this with his energy, with Tylers energy and this new Kat Paul George....could be intersting!!!

Unclebuck
06-30-2010, 11:15 AM
I judge shooting by seeing who would make the most shots from a given distance. I'd guess that, in a shooting contest between McRoberts and Hansbrough, that Hansbrough would win by a very wide margin. I don't consider shot selection or shooting percentage to be indicative of who is a better shooter. The logical extension of your argument would make McRoberts a better shooter than half the guys in the NBA, and that's just not true.

Should I mention the fact that Hansbrough had a significant injury which affected his balance? I think that probably had something to do with his percentage.

And Shaq has career FG% of 58%. does that mean he is one of the best shooters in NBA history. Reggie Miller only has a 45% FG %

ksuttonjr76
06-30-2010, 11:49 AM
Right now he is the best PF on this team, and he has enough up-side to be a quality back-up, just not a starter. He is a Foster type in that he isn't the most skilled, but he brings enough hustle and energy to the floor to make up for his lack of skill. I honestly have no idea why Hansbrough gets more minutes than McRoberts. If you compare the two it really shouldn't be any question as to who is better. McRoberts is more athletic, shoots better, and is a better decision maker. The are both about equal in hustle, rebounds, and defense. Hansbrough does absolutely nothing better than him except for take more ill advised shots.

Tyler was a bad Mofo coming out of the ACC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyler_Hansbrough

Given the number of injuries he had....
8.5 PPG, 4.8 RPG, .59 SPG, and 3.9 FTA/G (2nd on the team)
are not bad numbers. IMHO, Tyler should be the starting PF if 100% healthy.

Eleazar
06-30-2010, 05:49 PM
Tyler was a bad Mofo coming out of the ACC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyler_Hansbrough

Given the number of injuries he had....
8.5 PPG, 4.8 RPG, .59 SPG, and 3.9 FTA/G (2nd on the team)
are not bad numbers. IMHO, Tyler should be the starting PF if 100% healthy.

College isn't the same as the NBA. Everyone except for a select few were saying that Hansbrough game wouldn't translate over to the NBA, and guess what it didn't translate. You can't get away with poor shot selection against NBA players like you can in college.

On the subject of shooting.

If poor shot selection doesn't go into deciding who is a better shooter than everything just becomes hypothetical, and not practical. You have to look at everything, not just one detail to determine who is better. The better shooter isn't the one who shoots better in practice, but the one who shoots better during a game.

As far as comparing Shaq to Reggie that is like comparing apples to bananas. They play two very different positions. When comparing Hansbrough to McRoberts they are playing the exact same position. Shaq shots were high percentage shots while Reggie's were low percentage shots. While the majority of both Hansbrough's and McRoberts' shots are high percentage shots.

Hoop
06-30-2010, 07:19 PM
And Shaq has career FG% of 58%. does that mean he is one of the best shooters in NBA history. Reggie Miller only has a 45% FG %
Reggie's life time NBA FG% is .471

This is interesting, if you take in account 2pt%, 3pt% and FT% and come up with a TS% (True Shooting %)

Reggie is at .614 (6th in NBA History) and Shaq only at .585 (38th in NBA History)

bphil
06-30-2010, 07:26 PM
There has got to be a reason EA sports is rating him so high in the recent NBA Live games. He has a lot of upside too me. He hasn't gotten anywhere near the minutes he should be getting.

NBA Live isn't real. It's a video game. Just thought I'd clarify that for you.

Pacers2012
06-30-2010, 07:32 PM
I like him as the first big off of the bench. A high energy guy like Chris Anderson.

Mcbob is best off of the bench unless he were to get more then 12min a game and averaged more. Last year with 12min a game he averaged 4.3ppg, 3rpg, 0.4bpg. So lets say he got 30min a game if murph was traded and we didn't get a big like okafor in return. then he could possibly average 10 and 10. I know things don't always work that way in the nba just because you get more time. I still like him off the bench tho. He is sort of like Anderson in that he has alot of energy and is white but, andersen has never improved his stats much. He averaged 5.9ppg, 6.4rpg, 1.9bpg last year in his 9th season. which is good for a bench player. He gets 22min a game much more then Mcbob.

Doug
06-30-2010, 08:18 PM
I didn't really think much of McRoberts when he came to the Pacers.

I've watched him enough now to think that he does have some upside. He is much more 'aware' on the court than I though he was, good passer, adequate defender (but needs work).

However, right now he gets most of his points on 'hustle' plays. He needs to develop the ability to score in the framework of the offense. 15 foot jumpers, or on the block, something. If he does that, he can be a solid rotation player, either as a weak starter or strong bench player.

Pacersalltheway10
06-30-2010, 09:06 PM
NBA Live isn't real. It's a video game. Just thought I'd clarify that for you.

I'm just pointing out something I see . No need to jump on me for it.

luis3ep
06-30-2010, 10:35 PM
i believe McRoberts has huge potential. i've been to plenty pacer games this past season and saw him during shootaround before the games, and he has UPS like a black guy...which gives him an edge when it comes to athleticism... he's fast for his size and he's got a high motor. he can do everything from dunk in your face to jumpers to even 3 pointers. He's a guy who plays and gives 100%. i'm hoping for a breakout year for him this upcoming season if O'Brien isn't silly.

judicata
06-30-2010, 10:49 PM
Everyone except for a select few were saying that Hansbrough game wouldn't translate over to the NBA, and guess what it didn't translate.

You don't speak for anyone but yourself. Trying to assert the authority of some nebulous majority makes you look like a snake oil salesman.

And the dude was injured. Lets give him one healthy season.

MLB007
06-30-2010, 11:02 PM
College isn't the same as the NBA. Everyone except for a select few were saying that Hansbrough game wouldn't translate over to the NBA, and guess what it didn't translate. You can't get away with poor shot selection against NBA players like you can in college.

We don't NEED him to shoot. All we need is defense, setting picks and being a big body in the paint. Rebounding would be great.
Shooting? Eh.
The rest of his game looked just fine to me.

That nasty streak and physical play sure as hell seemed to translate just fine. ;0)

BPump33
07-01-2010, 01:18 PM
Found this interesting on McBob playing in Summer League.

mg_indy I thought JMac would welcome playing in Orlando...but I was wrong. He seemed shocked he was going. But he's over it and is now excited...

mg_indy JMAC: "(Practice) was aiight.I haven't been training 4 summer league-and I'm surprised 2 be out here.So I'm just trying 2 do the best i can"

mg_indy JMAC also joked that sum of the guys on the team r older than him.He says he's working on shooting & JOB says he wants him 2 b a facilitator

http://twitter.com/mg_indy

BillS
07-01-2010, 01:29 PM
Found this interesting.

mg_indy I thought JMac would welcome playing in Orlando...but I was wrong. He seemed shocked he was going. But he's over it and is now excited...

http://twitter.com/mg_indy

OK, took me a bit to realize this meant he wasn't expecting to be sent to summer league, not that he was traded and didn't expect it.

Danderson22
07-04-2010, 11:02 AM
When comparing Mcbob and Hansborough the bottom line is...they both are bench players/ Mcbob is more of the athletic/energy Chris Anderson type while Hansborough is more of the physical/enforcer type. NEITHER of them are a starting caliber 4-man on a good team however. So it just depends on your preference for your backup PF