PDA

View Full Version : If Murphy Goes, Who Starts at PF?

OakMoses
06-29-2010, 10:00 AM
Let's assume that Murphy gets traded for a PG in a trade that doesn't bring back a big man who's of any consequence.

Since we're assuming things already, let's assume that Tyler is completely healthy to start the season.

At this point, who should start at PF alongside Roy?

BRushWithDeath
06-29-2010, 10:01 AM
It will be Foster.

It should be McRoberts.

Unclebuck
06-29-2010, 10:07 AM
Depends who is healthy. Doubt Foster will be available to play a whole lot this season. So I don't see him starting. Tyler is basically still a rookie and might be on a minute count, so I don't see him starting. Josh is better coming off the bench to give the team a jolt of energy against the opponents second team. Might be Granger depending on the health of the other small forwards.

too many question marks to answer the question.

One thing this question proves. It isn't like Murphy is playing ahead of some great player who is a healthy veteran

OakMoses
06-29-2010, 10:08 AM
For me it's a tough call between McRoberts and Hansbrough.

I'd really like to think that Hansbrough's energy and fire would prevent us from getting off to slow starts. Then after 6 minutes or so, you take him out and either go small by bringing in George or bring in McRoberts and stay big.

I like McRoberts as a starter to, however, because he seems very content to play good defense and make good passes. He doesn't demand shots, so we could focus on getting Roy and Danny going early. Also, McRoberts is probably better at guarding perimeter PF's than Tyler.

If I thought Paul George was ready to start, I'd probably move Granger to PF right off the bat. However, I doubt we get much more than 10 ppg out of George this season, and he's probably going to struggle a bit on defense. With that in mind, I'd only use the Rush-George-Granger lineup as a change of pace rather than a starting unit.

Trader Joe
06-29-2010, 10:08 AM
Mike Dunleavy.

SMosley21
06-29-2010, 10:09 AM
Magnum Rolle

OakMoses
06-29-2010, 10:09 AM
Mike Dunleavy.

There's a reason I didn't allow write-in votes.

count55
06-29-2010, 10:13 AM
For me it's a tough call between McRoberts and Hansbrough.

I'd really like to think that Hansbrough's energy and fire would prevent us from getting off to slow starts. Then after 6 minutes or so, you take him out and either go small by bringing in George or bring in McRoberts and stay big.

I like McRoberts as a starter to, however, because he seems very content to play good defense and make good passes. He doesn't demand shots, so we could focus on getting Roy and Danny going early. Also, McRoberts is probably better at guarding perimeter PF's than Tyler.

If I thought Paul George was ready to start, I'd probably move Granger to PF right off the bat. However, I doubt we get much more than 10 ppg out of George this season, and he's probably going to struggle a bit on defense. With that in mind, I'd only use the Rush-George-Granger lineup as a change of pace rather than a starting unit.

One thing I'd note is that if it ends up being either McBob or Buckaroo, then I wouldn't necessarily expect starter's minutes for those guys. I still think they'll cap out around between 15-25 minutes, at least this year.

Oh, and it won't be Foster.

Mourning
06-29-2010, 10:14 AM
Probably Foster with Granger, Hansbrough and McRoberts all getting significant backup minutes opening up minutes for Paul at SG or SF as Granger will play more minutes then last year at PF instead of SF (alas as he might very well get physically pounded on when there).

RonArtest
06-29-2010, 10:14 AM
For my first PD post, I predict that O'Brien will not be starting Roy, but Foster instead. And he will be playing DG/Dunleavy/Djones at the 4 (assuming that Tyler is done playing basketball forever due to injury).

I hate O'Brien and I am pessimistic.

Trader Joe
06-29-2010, 10:16 AM
One thing I'd note is that if it ends up being either McBob or Buckaroo, then I wouldn't necessarily expect starter's minutes for those guys. I still think they'll cap out around between 15-25 minutes, at least this year.

Oh, and it won't be Foster.

Since when and how is Hansbrough buckaroo?

Trader Joe
06-29-2010, 10:16 AM
There's a reason I didn't allow write-in votes.

Then Granger with Dunleavy at the 3.

EDIT: Oh, BOO, the poll says who should start while the thread title says only who starts. Well I think JOB will go with Dun and Danny at the 3/4. I would start McBob or Hans.

31andonly
06-29-2010, 10:22 AM
Hopefully McRoberts.

Both Foster and Hansbrough have missed too many games to immediately get a starting spot. Since O'Brien is our coach, I think it will be Granger. However in my opinion McRoberts has played enough good games last season to earn a place in the starting lineup. He doesn't need to get 20+ minutes, but I'd be fine with him getting regular playing time in the rotation.

That still leaves enough time for Foster and Hansbrough to provide energy off the bench.

wintermute
06-29-2010, 10:22 AM
i'm not sure who "should" start, but i think danny starting at pf is going to be inevitable if the other choices are hans and mcbob. raw or not, i think we'll see george getting plenty of minutes.

Unclebuck
06-29-2010, 10:31 AM
I know this isn't the question being asked: But I hope it is Jeff Foster or Tyler Hansbrough

OakMoses
06-29-2010, 10:31 AM

I definitely agree with this. I also think we'll see a lot of Danny at PF, but I don't think we should start the game that way.

count55
06-29-2010, 10:40 AM
I definitely agree with this. I also think we'll see a lot of Danny at PF, but I don't think we should start the game that way.

Unless George is just a stud from the start (or even later in the season - neither of which I'd expect), I'd tend to agree.

If Murphy's gone, and we didn't get a big back in that trade, then I think McRoberts would probably have the edge early in the season.

Justin Tyme
06-29-2010, 11:33 AM
I depends on how successful McCarty is in teaching McBob to shoot the 3 in order to play stretch forward. :D

sheppie33
06-29-2010, 11:40 AM
It would be tough to watch this season if McRoberts is our starting PF

imawhat
06-29-2010, 11:44 AM
We'll go small if Murphy is traded and a big doesn't come back. It'll either be Granger or Dahntay Jones.

maragin
06-29-2010, 12:26 PM
I think this will come down to how the guys play/ gel in our preseason games, especially if we have a new PG.

OakMoses
06-29-2010, 12:29 PM
We'll go small if Murphy is traded and a big doesn't come back. It'll either be Granger or Dahntay Jones.

So you're saying that our starting lineup, assuming Murphy's gone and we still have Rush, will be:

PGx, D. Jones, Rush, Granger, Hibbert

vnzla81
06-29-2010, 12:33 PM
D Jones or Dunleavy

graphic-er
06-29-2010, 12:47 PM
It will be whoever can stretch the defense by shooting 3pters!

Screw you JOB! Ruin my damn team.

Kegboy
06-29-2010, 12:47 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Iq_O2Y620GY/STWr-fpyLnI/AAAAAAAAAIE/wJJpOpyMFrI/s320/stanko-barac-hd.jpg

btowncolt
06-29-2010, 12:52 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Iq_O2Y620GY/STWr-fpyLnI/AAAAAAAAAIE/wJJpOpyMFrI/s320/stanko-barac-hd.jpg

PaceBalls
06-29-2010, 01:26 PM
It would be tough to watch this season if McRoberts is our starting PF

Tougher than watching last year??

Anyone starting over Murph is a vast improvement. I'm hoping Tyler is ready to be the man at PF.

Trophy
06-29-2010, 01:31 PM
I'd assume the new PF that we traded for.

I'd trade Brandon Rush for Jason Thompson.

Justin Tyme
06-29-2010, 01:53 PM
I'd trade Brandon Rush for Jason Thompson.

It'll only happen in your dreams.

sheppie33
06-29-2010, 02:12 PM
Tougher than watching last year??

Anyone starting over Murph is a vast improvement. I'm hoping Tyler is ready to be the man at PF.

Yes, McRoberts is not an NBA Starting PF, not even close. I know he has a lot of fans on this board but we would be in some trouble.

Murph averaged 14 and 10. No other PF on the team can do better than that.

duke dynamite
06-29-2010, 02:17 PM
STANKO!

sheppie33
06-29-2010, 02:27 PM
STANKO!

Will he ever come to play here?

Hoop
06-29-2010, 03:32 PM
Yes, McRoberts is not an NBA Starting PF, not even close. I know he has a lot of fans on this board but we would be in some trouble.

But when you subtract the negatives that Murphy produces by just being on the floor, his net is probably less than 7 and 5. That will not be hard to replace.

The majority of the time we played better with Murphy OFF the floor regardless who was his replacement.

pizza guy
06-29-2010, 03:45 PM
For my first PD post, I predict that O'Brien will not be starting Roy, but Foster instead. And he will be playing DG/Dunleavy/Djones at the 4 (assuming that Tyler is done playing basketball forever due to injury).

Despite your screen name, welcome to the board! You've got plenty of company on the dark side, so you'll feel right at home. Enjoy, and beware of the poster known as hoopsforlife, assuming of course that that's not you in disguise. ;)

I voted McBob in the poll because starting Danny at PF will make me sick, Foster won't stay healthy, and Psycho T won't be ready (if healthy) for a while. I'd like to see Hans win the job because I'd like to know that we didn't waste the pick on him last year, and because a starting lineup consisting of PGx/P.G/D.G/Hans/Hibbert looks nothing like small ball to me, and that would make me happy.

--pizza

sheppie33
06-29-2010, 03:56 PM
But when you subtract the negatives that Murphy produces by just being on the floor, his net is probably less than 7 and 5. That will not be hard to replace.

The majority of the time we played better with Murphy OFF the floor regardless who was his replacement.

Ok, i understand your point. We need a better option than McRoberts, He isnt an improvement at the position.

Kegboy
06-29-2010, 04:02 PM

ACK!

:peek:

imawhat
06-29-2010, 04:28 PM
So you're saying that our starting lineup, assuming Murphy's gone and we still have Rush, will be:

PGx, D. Jones, Rush, Granger, Hibbert

I'd say that's a great possibility if Foster doesn't start.

hans023
06-29-2010, 04:29 PM
Granger pf or not if Dunleavy is back and healthy hes the man at SG. I really think he will be he was coming around the last few games of the season looking like he was regaining leg strength.

MLB007
06-29-2010, 04:52 PM

Everyone knows Artest is an idiot. :box:

(that's just a PACER joke, not about you personally!) :buddies:

MLB007
06-29-2010, 04:56 PM
THe dream is that George is too good to sit and he plays 3 with Danny at 4. For part of the game anyway. Danny USED to be a very good interior player. Used to block a lot of shots in the paint and rebounded well for a 3. I like him at 4 IF that puts another shooter on the floor and in the right matchups.
I would LOVE it if Danny stopped shooting so many bombs and got into the paint more. He'd shoot more free throws too.
Then Tyler and Foster as backups with McBob and Magnum behind them. Solo go bye bye in the point guard trade. (please)

naptownmenace
06-29-2010, 05:03 PM

Unfortunately, this is true. Despite his defensive drawbacks he is a good shooter and rebounder and easily the best PF on the team.

If he wasn't making so much ridiculous money and we had 4 other guys that were defensive beasts he'd be the perfect complementary PF. Since that's not the case, he's a 50/50 guy. He's great to have around on 50% of the court and you wish you could replace him with someone else on the other 50% of the court.

Peck
06-29-2010, 05:16 PM

Empty meaningless stats.

In my life I never would have dreamed I would say that a guy who can grab 10 boards in a game is useless but I'm saying it now.

BRushWithDeath
06-29-2010, 05:18 PM

13 times as a Pacers he's played 20 minutes or more. When that's happened he's averaged 11 pts and 6 reb. In the two games he's played 30 minutes he had 14 and 12 and 18 and 12.

Who's to say that if he got Murphy's 33 minutes he wouldn't provide the same production? The two games he did he bettered Murphy's per game numbers.

Eleazar
06-29-2010, 05:59 PM
McRoberts is the best PF on the team, and anyone who truly understands the game of basketball should understand this. That doesn't mean he is worthy of being an NBA starter, but he is better than all other options.

As far as it being tough to watch I would say playing McRoberts would make it easier to watch the Pacers no matter if they are better or not. He will add an element of excitement and energy to the team that you don't really see from the other players. In this way it will be easier.

OakMoses
06-29-2010, 05:59 PM
13 times as a Pacers he's played 20 minutes or more. When that's happened he's averaged 11 pts and 6 reb. In the two games he's played 30 minutes he had 14 and 12 and 18 and 12.

Who's to say that if he got Murphy's 33 minutes he wouldn't provide the same production? The two games he did he bettered Murphy's per game numbers.

Another thing to take into account is that Hibbert gets more rebounds when Murphy doesn't play. In the 9 games where Roy played and Murphy didn't last year, Roy averaged 8.4 rebounds. For the season he averaged only 5.7.

This means that whomever the starting PF is only needs to average about 7 per game. I am 100% sure that either McRoberts or Hansbrough can do that. That's not even taking into account that both McRoberts and Hansbrough destroy Murphy as far as offensive boards are concerned. Hansbrough actually averaged more ORB's per game than Murphy in 17 minutes compared to 32.

While I agree with Buck that this question highlights the fact that Murphy is not playing in front of a steady, proven veteran player, I can honestly say that I don't think Murphy brings anything (other than 3 point shooting) to the table that can't be replaced or improved upon by the other guys already on the roster.

BlueNGold
06-29-2010, 06:17 PM
If healthy, I think Foster should start next to Hibbert. Hans and McBob should get a lot of minutes and be given the opportunity to take the starting PF slot...but they have to earn it. I don't think either guy has earned it yet.

QuickRelease
06-29-2010, 06:18 PM
I love McBob's hustle when he's in the game. I went to the Minnesota game that he started, and it was so refreshing to see him chasing loose balls and attacking the glass. In fact, he chased down a huge loose ball when The Timberpuppies were charging back. I don't think he'd be any worse than Sideshow Bob in Cleveland, or Birdman in Denver. I, for one, would just appreciate a hustling, disruptive player around the basket. Y'know, Power Forward stuff.

OakMoses
06-29-2010, 06:24 PM
Hans and McBob should get a lot of minutes and be given the opportunity to take the starting PF slot...but they have to earn it. I don't think either guy has earned it yet.

Agreed, but you can earn jobs in practice and preseason.

Drewtone
06-29-2010, 07:07 PM

I wish I could really believe that under this coach.

Eleazar
06-29-2010, 09:09 PM
I wish I could really believe that under this coach.

Honestly it might be the practices that is the problem. Some players just don't perform well in practice, but once they are in a game they suddenly play a lot better than they ever did in practice. While there are other players that play great in practice, but never translate over to the game. I know from personal experience that not performing well in practice can make coaches not trust you even if you perform well in the game. With new coaches often times I would have a hard time getting very many minutes, but if I ever got a chance to get a good amount of minutes I would often go from playing just a few to playing almost half the game or even starting.

BlueNGold
06-29-2010, 09:22 PM

I hope that is allowed to happen, but I don't think that is how the NBA works. The NBA is truly a business and I've seen too many times where a higher paid player is given the benefit of the doubt...well after TJ...oops...well after they had shown the world that they are an inferior player.

Assuming Murphy is traded and Foster is healthy, I expect to see him start. McBob will definitely not be starting unless both Tyler and Foster are not able to start and JOb forgets he has 10 small forwards he can plug in as a "big man". IOW, forget about McBob starting.

Sookie
06-29-2010, 09:33 PM

uh..not last season..

judicata
06-29-2010, 09:43 PM

To be fair, sometimes he gets yanked early because he's stinking it up.

judicata
06-29-2010, 09:44 PM
McRoberts is the best PF on the team, and anyone who truly understands the game of basketball should understand this. That doesn't mean he is worthy of being an NBA starter, but he is better than all other options.

As far as it being tough to watch I would say playing McRoberts would make it easier to watch the Pacers no matter if they are better or not. He will add an element of excitement and energy to the team that you don't really see from the other players. In this way it will be easier.

I guess 50+ of us don't truly understand the game of basketball. Maybe you can put on a clinic and enlighten us.

BornReady
06-29-2010, 09:49 PM

i mean i know ppl on this board love mcbob, but damn!

Eleazar
06-29-2010, 09:56 PM
i mean i know ppl on this board love mcbob, but damn!

Actually I'm not trying to say that McRoberts is some amazing player, all I'm saying is that Murphy sucks as a PF, Foster is old, and Hansbrough has only done everything that everyone feared he would that his game doesn't translate to the NBA.

judicata
06-29-2010, 09:59 PM
Actually I'm not trying to say that McRoberts is some amazing player, all I'm saying is that Murphy sucks as a PF, Foster is old, and Hansbrough has only done everything that everyone feared he would that his game doesn't translate to the NBA.

Funny, I thought he was injured.

PaceBalls
06-29-2010, 10:06 PM
Actually Hansbrough has done everything I hoped he would to make his game translate into the NBA... except play that is. Really though, when he was able to play he was quite a force on the floor.

Trophy
06-29-2010, 11:01 PM
It'll only happen in your dreams.

I don't understand why not?

We have an oversupply in wingmen and they have an oversupply in big men.

I'd consider other PFs though.