PDA

View Full Version : Should Stern step in if James, Wade & Bosh sign with the same team?

Jose Slaughter
06-29-2010, 09:56 AM
Does it hurt or help the league?

If I was a mid or small market owner, I'd be pissed.

btowncolt
06-29-2010, 09:58 AM
No way. The owners were basically in the driver's seat for the CBA. They designed the system. Three clever players might just game it this year. Good for them if it happens.

Having a team that everyone either loves, hates, or loves to root against might not be the worst thing.

Sucks for the Pacers.

Unclebuck
06-29-2010, 10:00 AM
No, I don't think he should. Players are free agents, they are free to sign a contract and play where ever they want.

What type of rule could be set-up to avoid this situation - I don't see how they can stop this. What can Stern possibly do??

Until I see how Bosh, Lebron and Wade play together along with the other players on that team - we have no way to know if they will be a great team or not. Takes more than talent to make a championship team

BRushWithDeath
06-29-2010, 10:02 AM
Absolutely not.

Trader Joe
06-29-2010, 10:02 AM
I couldn't think of a worse possible thing for him to do...

SMosley21
06-29-2010, 10:06 AM
Step in and do what? They aren't doing anything that isn't right in line with the rules set by the collective bargaining agreement. Stern has no power to do anything if they all sign with the same team.

Granville
06-29-2010, 10:11 AM
No, I don't think he should. Players are free agents, they are free to sign a contract and play where ever they want.

What type of rule could be set-up to avoid this situation - I don't see how they can stop this. What can Stern possibly do??

I agree. These guys played out their contracts and are now free to pursue other opportunities. Plus, the teams trying to get the cap space put themselves at risk. Miami might come out the big winner here, but look at what might happen with the Bulls. Say, those three do sign with the Heat, the Knicks get Joe Johnson and Amare Stoudemire, and Dirk stays with the Mavs. What is left for the Bulls? So in this scenario, the Heat gamble and win. The Bulls gamble and lose.

I think the worst thing is not having three main guys ending up one team, but the process the teams go through to get the cap space in the first place. That to me is far more offensive than playing some rookies and scrubs at the end of the year to try to help draft position. This salary cap jockeying can take years and sometimes guts franchises, especially the ones left holding the bag of money at the end.

thewholefnshow31
06-29-2010, 10:28 AM
Why should he step in? These guys are free agents and are free to sign with anyone they want too. If they all want to take less to play together then that is their business.

Sure it will suck for the small market teams, but the NBA can market a Heat vs. Celtics series and Heat vs. Lakers series really well.

dohman
06-29-2010, 10:37 AM
should the goverment of stepped in when bill gates invested heavily into apple right when they were about to go under? Now they are a powerhouse and people love their products and wait in lines for days to get them.

David stern should be fired if he tells players they cannot play with each other. He needs to look at the league and the salary cap to make sure in the future it does not happen again but he cannot tell them they cannot play together.

jcouts
06-29-2010, 10:38 AM
The only way Stern would step in is if LeBron, Wade and Bosh tried to sign with the Pacers...

Historically speaking, Stern didn't step in when Malone and Payton signed with the Lakers to play with Shaq and Kobe, so I don't see any reason why he would now.

Targaflorio
06-29-2010, 10:54 AM
If all three sign with the same team, I can't help but think there might be some kind of bad karma come along and ruin things for them. It seems like whenever a team goes crazy and puts together a fantasy roster during the summer, something unforeseen happens like a bad injury. Remember when the Magic signed both Grant Hill and Tracy McGrady, how did that workout?

Obviously putting Lebron and D. Wade together would be huge, (and much bigger than McGrady and Grant Hill), but sometimes things don't play out like we might expect.

count55
06-29-2010, 10:58 AM
I'm not overly concerned about this happening.

NuffSaid
06-29-2010, 12:31 PM
No. He didn't step in to stop the Celtics from having Pierce, KG and Ray Allen. Why should he stop the Bulls from acquiring LeBron, Wade and/or Bosh?

Beside, as has already been stated, you don't know how good or bad the Bulls would be with these three players. But no. They're all FAs and there's nothing to prohibit a team from signing them as such as long as they're willing to pay the luxury tax.

Slick Pinkham
06-29-2010, 12:47 PM
The devil is in the details of the CBA. If there is no stipulation about players "recruiting" other players after July 1, and I don't think that there is, then there is no action possible IMO. I don't know if he may have a "best interests of the game" clause in his contract like the baseball commish does, but I don't think so. He can act against people not following the rules.

It may be bad for the game in the long run, but it will generate some "dream team" type buzz for the first few seasons.

Bball
06-29-2010, 12:57 PM
I suspect Stern -could- do something although it would be against the team owners in some way not to sign all 3, not telling the players they can't sign. The end result might be the same but I don't think his power would allow him to directly take on the CBA that way.

But the bigger question of 'why' comes into play. I think Stern would think the pros outweigh the cons with 3 marquee players in their primes going to a large market team. He'd actually have to care about smaller markets to even think it's a problem in the first place. While he might care about the smaller market teams overall... I think he's cares more about the larger markets. The smaller market teams are just a necessary evil to him.

captainC
06-29-2010, 01:15 PM
I think stern should not step in. Players are able to sign whereever they want when their contracts are up and unless there are some clauses in the contract, we are SOL.

However, I do think it gives a bad impression of the league for players to basically decide what team will win championships. (at least thats what the FA's think).

I still believe that a team with LBJ, Bosh, X superstar, 10 minimum contract scrubs will have a really hard time competing in the playoffs anyways, so im not worried about multiple championships, or even just 1.

LBJ has left a very sour taste in my mouth with how this pre-free agency time has gone. Ugh.

duke dynamite
06-29-2010, 02:21 PM
What really does suck is if LeBron leaves Cleveland, there will be "no more Cavs". That team even with Shaq on it right now could not land a high-caliber free agent.

If LeBron leaves, ohhh man Cleveland will turn into a ghost town.

Wait..it already is? Oh, nevermind.

maragin
06-29-2010, 02:27 PM
Should Stern step in if James, Wade & Bosh sign with the same team?

Stern should step down. Period.

d_c
06-29-2010, 03:05 PM
If there is no stipulation about players "recruiting" other players after July 1, and I don't think that there is, then there is no action possible IMO.

And even if you wanted to implement such a rule, how would you prove that they are or aren't in violation of it? How would you define the rules of disallowing players from recruiting or collaborating?

"Hey, I'm David Stern. And I'm not allowing any of you to hang out with each other during the summer."

That's absurd. Whatever rule you make, players, agents and teams will find loopholes in it to follow the technicality of it while still meeting their goals.

avoidingtheclowns
06-29-2010, 03:05 PM
I'm not overly concerned about this happening.

You're so wise. You're like a miniature Buddha, covered in hair.

odeez
06-29-2010, 03:12 PM
Yeah, I am not totally convinced if the do all come together on a team that they can win a title. You need strong role players and a bench, plus team chemistry. I know that Boston put it together on the fly, so it is possible. How any team can afford to pay Lebron, Bosh, and Wade blows my mind. And no I don't think Stern should step-in.

count55
06-29-2010, 03:15 PM
You're so wise. You're like a miniature Buddha, covered in hair.

Unfortunately, not as miniature as I'd like.

Bridge
06-29-2010, 11:42 PM
Stern should step down. Period.

Amen.

KennerLeaguer
06-30-2010, 06:07 AM
Does it hurt or help the league?

If I was a mid or small market owner, I'd be pissed.

If he didn't step in when former Memphis GM Jerry West gave the "gift" of Paul Gasol to his former beloved team the Lakers for basically nothing, then why should he step in if the James-Wade-Bosh scenario plays out the way you fear?

#31MillerTime
06-30-2010, 06:12 AM
Well which team would really have the cap space to sign all 3? I mean I can see maybe Lebron and Bosh but not Wade and Bosh. I think Bron and Bosh have better chemistry together.

AlexAustin
06-30-2010, 07:19 AM
If he didn't step in when former Memphis GM Jerry West gave the "gift" of Paul Gasol to his former beloved team the Lakers for basically nothing, then why should he step in if the James-Wade-Bosh scenario plays out the way you fear?

As also a Grizz fan it bothers me when people say this, West wasn't the GM at the time and the Deal wasn't that bad for Memphis! They couldn't win in the playoffs with Pau as the main guy and knew they had no shot at signing him back. After all the secondary moves were finished they got Marc Gasol, Darrell Arthur, Greivis Vasquez and their own first round pick back they gave up for Juan Carlos Navarro and opened up tons of payroll.

Brad8888
06-30-2010, 08:57 AM
I don't believe this would happen. Otherwise, Miami would not have basically evacuated its roster as if an oil laden hurricane were about to strike inside American Airlines Arena.

Pacergeek
06-30-2010, 01:11 PM
Stern SHOULD STEP IN. Call me crazy, but the league is already way too top-heavy. Only 3 maybe 4 teams have a chance to win the championship next season with their current roster: LA, Boston, Cleveland, maybe Orlando if Dwight Howard matures. If these three players play together, the rest of the NBA would suffer, becuse the teams that they leave will significantly weaken. Let's say they go to Chicago, the Bulls would now be a contender, but Miami, Toronto, and Cleveland would be uncompetitive for years.

The NBA is just way too predictable, and needs to be more like the NFL with regards to parity. The Saints did not make the playoffs in '08, and the next year they are world champions. This would never happen in the NBA, and I don't think that's a good thing. Why can't I be optimisic for a Pacers' championship as early as next season? We don't have one superstar on the roster right now. If Stern allows these guys to all play together, then the NBA is going to turn into MLB.