PDA

View Full Version : Roy Hibbert playing for Jamaican National Team

Psyren
06-28-2010, 01:29 PM
The link is entirely in Spanish, so I'm assuming nobody will be able to understand it very well.

However, I did put it into Google translator to help you all to the best of my ability.

The giant Roy Hibbert will be the central figure in the Jamaican men's national team to assist the Centrobasket 2010 event to be held from 5 to 11 July in the capital, with the participation of 10 countries in the region.

Hibbert, of 7'2 "and 278 pounds, played in the National Basketball Association (NBA) for the Indiana Pacers, with whose team averaged 11.7 points, 5.7 rebounds and 2.0 assists and 1.6 blocks in 81 games for the season 2009-10 .

Hibbert leads the squad of Jamaica, whose team includes Samardo Samuels, a power forward who played his four college years with the Dominican Edgar Sosa, Louisville Universtiy.

In addition, the Jamaican team includes players Akeem Scott, Andre Smith, Damion Staple, Garfield Blair, Garfield Johns, Justin Leith, Ronald Yates, Terrell Christie, Weyinmi Efejuku and kiwani Ffriend.

Hibbert was the No. 17 pick in the first round for the Toronto Raptors, who that night sent him to the Pacers in a multiple exchange for Jermaine O'Neal and Nathan Jawai, and that included TJ Ford, Rasho Nesterovic and Maceo Baston.

On July 14, 2008 signed a contract with the Pacers for $ 1.2 million in its first season.

Jamaica is located in Group A alongside U.S. Virgin Islands, British Virgin Islands, Panama and Dominican Republic.

In group B are located Puerto Rico, Mexico, Cuba, Belize and Trinidad & Tobago.

Here's the link for anyone who would like to read the Spanish version.

7 Dias (http://www.7dias.com.do/app/article.aspx?id=77675)

Day-V
06-28-2010, 01:33 PM
I'm disappointed to hear it's not the Jamaican Bobsled Team

IndyPacer
06-28-2010, 01:58 PM
I'm disappointed to hear it's not the Jamaican Bobsled Team

I'd be keeping a safe distance if they put a 7'2", 280 lb. guy in a bobsled.

Day-V
06-28-2010, 02:07 PM
I'd be keeping a safe distance if they put a 7'2", 280 lb. guy in a bobsled.

If Manute Bol can play hockey for the Indianapolis Ice, and Rik Smits can ride dirt bikes, then Roy Hibbert can be the inspiration for Cool Runnings 2: Running Cooler.

Deadshot
06-28-2010, 03:35 PM
I remember reading about this awhile ago - something about his father being from the area even though he never lived there? I could be wrong...

JBones19
06-28-2010, 04:50 PM
I'm calling it here that he either

A.) Gets a "minor" injury that nags him for half of next season and then we shut him down for the remainder.

B.) Tears something and misses next year.

:)

Psyren
06-28-2010, 04:56 PM

A.) Gets a "minor" injury that nags him for half of next season and then we shut him down for the remainder.

That would be our luck haha.

tadscout
06-28-2010, 08:27 PM

... and you're using a happy face smiley??? :tsk:

Wouldn't seem to be something to be happy about... I think - :banghead: would be more appropriate.

06-28-2010, 08:31 PM
If Manute Bol can play hockey for the Indianapolis Ice, and Rik Smits can ride dirt bikes, then Roy Hibbert can be the inspiration for Cool Runnings 2: Running Cooler.

Yes, that just completed my evening. Good night folks.

ChristianDudley
06-28-2010, 08:35 PM
I know there's some downfalls to this, as stated above, with all the injuries and such, but just look on the bright side--he could get more practice playing internationally with more in-game experience before the season. But then again from the teams that they'll be playing against (assuming they'll only be playing against the ones that are listed in the article), that won't be much competition for Big Roy. Hopefully they will be able to play some much better teams if they keep advancing in the tournament.

Marlin
06-28-2010, 08:46 PM
I know there's some downfalls to this, as stated above, with all the injuries and such, but just look on the bright side--he could get more practice playing internationally with more in-game experience before the season. But then again from the teams that they'll be playing against (assuming they'll only be playing against the ones that are listed in the article), that won't be much competition for Big Roy. Hopefully they will be able to play some much better teams if they keep advancing in the tournament.

Puerto Rico will probably win easily. All teams competing in that tournament are listed above, there won't be any better team along the way...after all it's the Central America championship, you won't find many powerhouses there :p

Roy won't probably gain a whole lot from this experience, but I bet he'll have some fun

Kuq_e_Zi91
06-28-2010, 10:04 PM
I think we're about to gain a lot of new Jamaican Pacers fans.

Ozwalt72
06-28-2010, 10:07 PM
I wanna hear that Roy just destroys everyone in this tournament. Which might be the biggest thing he could pull from this: the knowledge to recognize when he is more than an opponent can handle.

Should be pretty good for his conditioning, anyway.

BRushWithDeath
06-28-2010, 10:58 PM
I think we're about to gain a lot of new Jamaican Pacers fans.

If this is true, David Harrison and Shawne Williams are so pissed they're not on the team anymore. Mon.

KennerLeaguer
06-28-2010, 11:28 PM
I remember reading about this awhile ago - something about his father being from the area even though he never lived there? I could be wrong...

Both his mom and dad.

KennerLeaguer
06-28-2010, 11:30 PM
If this is true, David Harrison and Shawne Williams are so pissed they're not on the team anymore. Mon.

Cold. :D

duke dynamite
06-29-2010, 02:24 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NCjiHb6QSdk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NCjiHb6QSdk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Kuq_e_Zi91
06-29-2010, 04:51 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gOb9YEQC20c&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gOb9YEQC20c&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

naptownmenace
06-29-2010, 05:32 PM
Patrick Ewing JR is also playing on the team. I wouldn't be surprised if he was the one that recruited Roy considering they were teammates at Georgetown, friends, and they share the same agent.

Here's the article about Roy. I tried to clean up the translation from Spanish to the best of my abilities (I'm not fluent in Spanish).

http://www.drsol.info/drsol-external-link.php?link=http://www.hoy.com.do/deportes/2010/6/26/331625/Jamaica-inscribe-gigante-72Roy-Hibbert-para-Centrobasket

Jamaica registers giant 7 ' 2” Roy Hibbert for Centrobasket Roots
His parents are native of the island of Jamaica and he was born in New York.

The giant Roy Hibbert will be the central figure of the mens national team of Jamaica, that will attend the Centrobasket 2010, event that will be celebrated from the 5 to the 11 of July in this capital, with the participation of 10 countries of the region.

Hibbert, of 7 ' 2” and 278 pounds, plays in National Basketball Association (NBA) for the Indiana Pacers, with whose team he averaged 11.7 points, 5.7 rebounds, 2.0 assists and 1.6 blocks, in 81 games during season 2009-10. Hibbert leads the squad of Jamaica, whose team includes Samardo Samuels, power forward that played four years next to the Dominican Edgar Soda, at Louisville Universtiy. In addition, the Jamaican team includes the players Akeem Scott, Andre Smith, Damion Staple, Garfield Blair, Garfield Johns, Justin Leith, Ronald Yachts, Terrell Christie, Weyinmi Efejuku and Kiwani Ffriend.

Hibbert was pick no. 17 in the first round for the Toronto Raptors, who that same night was sent to the Pacers in a multiple player trade for Jermaine O'Neal and Nathan Jawai, and that included T.J. Ford, Rasho Nesterovic and Maceo Baston. The 14 of 2008 July he signed a contract with the Pacers for 1.2 million dollars in his first season.

Jamaica is located in the group A with North American Virgin Islands, British Virgin Islands, Panama and Dominican Republic. In group B they are located Puerto Rico, Mexico, Cuba, Belize and Trinidad & Tobago.

idioteque
06-29-2010, 07:30 PM
Jamaica also has a guy who played (plays?) for Lousiville, Sevardo Stephens, and Jerome Jordan (another big) who played for Tulsa and was drafted by the Bucks in the second round this year. Without knowing anything about this tournament I would guess Jamaica would have one of the better teams. I have Jamaican heritage so that may have something to do with my opinion as well :)